Unpopular Opinion: Boyd should go to Fullback

061ang

BRL Player
Sep 2, 2016
Okay before you go nuts, hear me out. I've been thinking about this since the last game and hearing Gal and Gus say it too helped re-iterate it to me, but I honestly think Darius Boyd is our best option at fullback right now and here is why.

1. Yes I know he offers nothing in attack apart from a 3 on 2 long pass which he gets wrong 20% of the time now.
2. Yes I know he offers nothing with his kick returns.
3. Yes I know when a forward breaks the line, he is not willing to put his body on the line and tackle them.

BUT

1. No other FB we have is a better passer than him. Yes they have better footwork but they haven't done anything with it (Milf last year, Issako and Nui this year).
2. Isaako's kick returns are better than Boyds, but Milf and Nui seem too small to really make an impact with their kick returns and rely on their footwork to go around defenders in which I haven't seen anything happen
3. And the whole not putting his body on the line thing? Okay this was when we all chucked out hands in the air last year and requested he moved from fullback because it's damn right embarrassing to see him fall over when a forward comes at him. But it only happened maybe 3 or 4 times last year. Now I'm not saying any of it is good, but hear me out.

PRO's

Our defensive line is better when he is at fullback. It does not seem like there is any communication going on in defense at the moment and it wasn't more obvious than that Tigers game. Sure the Eels and the Roosters putting that type of score on us is one thing because they are quality sides, but the Tigers abused us and our players were so much out of position it isn't funny. I can't help but think that Boyd would've actually got our players into a better defensive position and it wouldn't have been as bad.

Now I'm not saying he is the answer for us long term (obviously), but until Nui is more experienced vocally and is able to organise the defense, I think he is our best option. I've always liked Issako and he was quite solid defensively and very reliable under the high ball, but his attack is not better than Boyd's apart from his returns and he doesn't organise the defense as well.

Anyways, I am ready to be roasted but these are my thoughts in this desperate time.

Okay before you go nuts, hear me out. I've been thinking about this since the last game and hearing Gal and Gus say it too helped re-iterate it to me, but I honestly think Darius Boyd is our best option at fullback right now and here is why.

1. Yes I know he offers nothing in attack apart from a 3 on 2 long pass which he gets wrong 20% of the time now.
2. Yes I know he offers nothing with his kick returns.
3. Yes I know when a forward breaks the line, he is not willing to put his body on the line and tackle them.
I agree with Gus and Gallen on this. Fullback is his position. If he's no longer able to play it at NRL standard, he needs to be dropped, not shuffled around in an attempt to hide his deficiencies. If he's unwilling or unable to marshal defence from the back with his experience, give up on him for good. He's just getting in the road.

Personally, I think we already know it's a waste of time putting him back there, just as he's been useless communicating with his winger at centre. Sack him now. Get it over and done with. He's a cancer in the team.

I agree with Gus and Gallen on this. Fullback is his position. If he's no longer able to play it at NRL standard, he needs to be dropped, not shuffled around in an attempt to hide his deficiencies. If he's unwilling or unable to marshal defence from the back with his experience, give up on him for good. He's just getting in the road.

Personally, I think we already know it's a waste of time putting him back there, just as he's been useless communicating with his winger at centre. Sack him now. Get it over and done with. He's a cancer in the team.
This.

He's been phoning it in since the Bell invented the contraption.

Pies stuck by him and he has done nothing to repay it. In fact he's helped to undermine the coach by his inaction.

Put anyone at fullback, including Boyd, who cares? The players sure don't.

Obviously I have to preface this by saying he should be dropped entirely. This is an opinion I’ve had for almost 2 years now by the way.

In saying that, at least with Boyd at fullback we have one set play. Which is one more than we currently have. Might lead to us to, I don’t know, maybe scoring a try or two?

Because playing him at fullback last year worked wonders?

The problem is, how many of the Broncos players are even in the top half in the comp in their position at present, let alone top 5? I cannot think of a single player. So who cares where you put anyone, they all suck.

He should’ve been dropped over 12 months ago and now we are talking about moving him back to fullback where he originally failed because he also failed at 5/8 and centre since then. I don’t disagree with your points @061ang and if he’s never going to be dropped then throw him back there.

My 5c worth is signing Boyd and not re-signing Bennett was the end of Boyd. It looks to me like he can't play well unless Bennett is in his immediate vicinity, which might also hold true for a few other players who were close to Bennett.

As for him going to FB, for mine, it's really the only sensible option in a scenario when good sense is absolutely critical. Sadly, such options as we face here are choices between evils, where either choice is evil. So we need to pick the lesser.

For mine, Boyd is simply NOT a centre and therefore putting him there is just stupid. It weakens our centres and gives Boyd a reason to minimise his contribution to the team. He can always say about his performance there - well, they put me there knowing I am not a true centre.

He's a FB and a SOO winger. They are his only positions for mine. As we desperately need an organising FB, and given he has a proven track record there over the years, that is his best position. If he fails, then he has absolutely no excuse at all and just has to be dropped immediately.

I may be totally wrong here but I draw a clear distinction between Boyd and Milford. Boyd for mine deliberately under-plays whereas Milford is just fucked by being the victim of too many adverse circumstances. He just doesn't have what it takes any more to cope. Boyd on the other hand seems to know exactly what is going on and has made deliberate choices about his contributions, which, to be fair have been ok in a few matches. But for Boyd, given he was retained to lead this side, ok is insufficient. I dunno, maybe his depression is cruelling him. Maybe I am being too hard on him.

Last edited:
I'd have him on the wing, if anywhere. Sad that you have to find a place to hide one of your most expensive salary cap sponges, but since apparently we're stuck with him and he's undroppable, put him out on the wing.

But for entertainment value, I'd love to see him back at FB so we can add to that hilarious highlight reel from last year. Comedy gold.

Our defensive line is better when he is at fullback. It does not seem like there is any communication going on in defense at the moment and it wasn't more obvious than that Tigers game. Sure the Eels and the Roosters putting that type of score on us is one thing because they are quality sides, but the Tigers abused us and our players were so much out of position it isn't funny. I can't help but think that Boyd would've actually got our players into a better defensive position and it wouldn't have been as bad
I think you're spot on here. Our defensive organisation is primarily a job for the fullback, who is the only player with the visibility to see the gaps and deficiencies.

That said, I'm not sure it weighs up against all the rest, so I just hope Milford is capable of doing the job he should've always been doing since his arrival here IMO, and more importantly, shows the motivation and interest to do it.

Skip the add if you get one.

I agree. Stick him there this week and see what we get.
I'm also for protecting Dearden this week. Next week he needs to be back at 7.

Last edited:

Skip the add if you get one.

I agree. Stick him there this week and see what we get.
I'm also for protecting Dearden this week. Next week he needs to be back at 7.

I thought this was going to be a 5 minute long highlight reel of anger fuel that was 2019 boyd - far from the worst of it too :P

Unread

Active Now

• Strop
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • sooticus
  • Evander
  • Justwin
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Dazza 92
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • HarryAllan7
  • Bongo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.