Unpopular Opinion: Boyd should go to Fullback

I think I'm actually going to agree with Renouf and the vast majority of Brisbane fans on this one. Boyd is cooked, don't die on this hill.
That's okay. Renouf has to say something, it's how he can stay relevant . Tallis is another example of it, Geyer before him, it's just a game. You may actually be surprised that Boyd has more supporters than you realize. The vast majority of fans want someone to blame and a reason. Last season Boyd wasn't as good and copped it and was the captain. Since then he's been stripped of the captaincy and yet, this season he's been better?!?!?!

How is that 'doing it on purpose because he lost the captaincy'? Wtf? Yes, what he's doing on purpose since he lost the captaincy is trying harder. I think Renouf is full of shit on this one. Being an ex player and game legend doesn't make him infallible nor does popular support for hate speech make him right.

I don't agree with him but I respect you and he may be in accord and that's okay too.

Boyd is doing what he can as a player. It's not great but it is what it is. He is constantly spoken about by younger player about his mentorship.
Of course, people will say, and I'd agree with them, that he is barely the standard of an Nrl centre. The thing is, is anyone else from 1 to 7 doing better than him?
Our best back is probably staggs right now, but his defence is atrocious. We have a couple of youngsters learning the game on the wing and two halves who were in career low form. Next to all that, the one guy who is only mediocre needs to get dropped?
That has been the strategy so far and it has led to a team, for the most part. which could have played in an under 20 Comp a couple of years ago and look it from our score lines.
We need to build, and throwing another rookie in to be mauled by their opposition will not help. What we need is consistency.
It starts with the club's officials, the message the coach gives his players and the way he picks his team.
Has everyone forgotten that Isaako got dropped for getting too involved at fullback in hit ups and support play. Not cautioned or mentored. Dropped. That came from the coach. Tevita is being put on thin ice for reckless play, but when every forward is doing hit ups from a standing start and our defensive line is stagnant is that really the place to start?
If we want our team to perform, we need start fixing the problems we have and not look for new ones. Boyd is the least of them.

For mine, Isaako was doing great on the wing until he was shifted to FB because Boyd was so far out of his depth back there. Isaako wasn't ready and it showed, and lead to the shattering of his nerves and his confidence. There's a good, classy player in Isaako imo but I doubt we'll see that player again at Brisbane. I'd love to see how he'd go at the Storm or some other club with a strong culture and system.

For mine, Isaako was doing great on the wing until he was shifted to FB because Boyd was so far out of his depth back there. Isaako wasn't ready and it showed, and lead to the shattering of his nerves and his confidence. There's a good, classy player in Isaako imo but I doubt we'll see that player again at Brisbane. I'd love to see how he'd go at the Storm or some other club with a strong culture and system.
I think his mind is elsewhere. His dad has been in the late stages of cancer and has now passed. He should have been left at fullback and the team given some sweep plays that use his athleticism. He may not be ideal but at least he and the team could have settled a bit before trying Niu.
I agree with dearden selection, but we must be patient. We can not keep shifting our backs like a pack of cards. If you promote a spine player they must be given time to learn the role and it is up to the coach to help them with that.

Boyd is doing what he can as a player. It's not great but it is what it is. He is constantly spoken about by younger player about his mentorship.
Of course, people will say, and I'd agree with them, that he is barely the standard of an Nrl centre. The thing is, is anyone else from 1 to 7 doing better than him?
Our best back is probably staggs right now, but his defence is atrocious. We have a couple of youngsters learning the game on the wing and two halves who were in career low form. Next to all that, the one guy who is only mediocre needs to get dropped?
That has been the strategy so far and it has led to a team, for the most part. which could have played in an under 20 Comp a couple of years ago and look it from our score lines.
We need to build, and throwing another rookie in to be mauled by their opposition will not help. What we need is consistency.
It starts with the club's officials, the message the coach gives his players and the way he picks his team.
Has everyone forgotten that Isaako got dropped for getting too involved at fullback in hit ups and support play. Not cautioned or mentored. Dropped. That came from the coach. Tevita is being put on thin ice for reckless play, but when every forward is doing hit ups from a standing start and our defensive line is stagnant is that really the place to start?
If we want our team to perform, we need start fixing the problems we have and not look for new ones. Boyd is the least of them.
Wow. Totally agree. It saddens me to see the pack mentality take over bhq and all the disappointment is focused on a player. After his head is chopped off it simply transfers to the new target, rinse and repeat. Boyd is the least of our issues but to hear it on here, he's the main reason we're conceding 50!
gUt came up with 'Boyd is in the vicinity of at least one VITAL TRY miss(🤣🤣🤣) every game! This, when a team is getting beaten by 50!!!
Talk about an agenda!

Wow. Totally agree. It saddens me to see the pack mentality take over bhq and all the disappointment is focused on a player. After his head is chopped off it simply transfers to the new target, rinse and repeat. Boyd is the least of our issues but to hear it on here, he's the main reason we're conceding 50!
gUt came up with 'Boyd is in the vicinity of at least one VITAL TRY miss(🤣🤣🤣) every game! This, when a team is getting beaten by 50!!!
Talk about an agenda!

This isn't just BHQ, this is rugby league fandom as a whole. This is just about every League commentator, journalist and ex-player. This isn't a BHQ thing, this is just about the whole league community .

Boyd is an effigy of overpaid, underperforming apathy. He has no heart in the game anymore.

The reality is, when you are regularly getting flogged, no one is playing well.

I'd rather get flogged and invest in game experience for the younger players, then waste it on Defensive Centre of the year Boyd.

I'd rather get flogged without Boyd than with him.

I don't think any of that is likely. The most likely scenario is that Boyd lost a lot of the respect he had around the place after his insipid efforts in 2019, Seibold stripping him of the captaincy was a show that his efforts weren't up to scratch as a captain of the club.

I think Seibold had hoped that removing the captaincy from Boyd and shifting him to centre would free him of a lot of the burden (no longer relied upon to be captain and no longer the last line of defense), to an extent, it has worked. Boyd is certainly more consistent this year than he was in 2019.. but still not offering what someone of his pedigree should be.

Players who lose the respect of their team mates don't play first grade anymore.

I'd rather get flogged and invest in game experience for the younger players, then waste it on Defensive Centre of the year Boyd.

I'd rather get flogged without Boyd than with him.

Nothing to do with Boyd, but I agree completely, and applies to all guys that are not in the plans for 2021.
We need to be making decisions today, that positively impact next season.

Nothing to do with Boyd, but I agree completely, and applies to all guys that are not in the plans for 2021.
We need to be making decisions today, that positively impact next season.

We have to be careful though about playing some of these younger players just for sake of giving them some game time. The environment at the moment could quite easily have a negative impact on the development of some of these players.

We have to be careful though about playing some of these younger players just for sake of giving them some game time. The environment at the moment could quite easily have a negative impact on the development of some of these players.
Especially when there's no reserve grade for them to experience playing in a winning team. It's just a flogging or two then getting dropped for a few then right back into the grinder.

I reckon these are the gaps needing to be filled next year:

2. Farnworth
3. Staggs
5. Coates
7. Dearden
8. Haas
10. TPJ
11. Fifita (Let's say and hope he stays)
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Lodge
16. Flegler

Fill in the blanks

I reckon these are the gaps needing to be filled next year:

2. Farnworth
3. Staggs
5. Coates
7. Dearden
8. Haas
10. TPJ
11. Fifita (Let's say and hope he stays)
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Lodge
16. Flegler

Fill in the blanks

1) Niu Nui
4) Bird (doubt we can offload him with the money spent) ?arthurs?
6) Croft
9) Turpin/Paix
12)Teo/Glenn
17)Glenn/Teo

Last edited:
According to the CM, Boyd asked Seibold to go back to fullback because he's lost at centre and Pies told him to **** off. The subhead they're using is "Boyd banned from fullback."

According to the CM, Boyd asked Seibold to go back to fullback because he's lost at centre and Pies told him to **** off. The subhead they're using is "Boyd banned from fullback."

Something tells me it wouldn't have been that blunt, I doubt Siebold has the plums. Probably apologised and presented him with a power point presentation and graph showing way that can't happen. With Wong sitting in the corner, laying out the stats.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • cento
  • Mustafur
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.