Unpopular Opinion: Boyd should go to Fullback

What White said when Boyd was re-signed (not as a centre and non-captain) :

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/10/26/boyd-re-signs/

"“Darius has very quickly established himself as the leader of our club, and having him commit to another four years is a major statement on his intentions to finish the job he has started as captain,” said White.

"“Darius has developed his maturity and leadership qualities both on and off the field, and we are all really proud of the work he continues to do in those areas."

"Coach Wayne Bennett said: “It goes without saying the playing ability that Darius brings to the team but he also provides a heap of stability to the club and that shouldn’t be understated.”

Maybe it's me but I am not seeing much of the above on the field this year, or last year for that matter. And if anyone is going to whinge about Milford, then you can't not whinge equally about Boyd ... And of course, it is all Seibold's fault
Totally fair. I think Seibold's action in stripping the captaincy from Boyd may have cost him respect rather than building it? What it tacitly has told Boyd is that his leadership was no longer required and I think to Boyd's credit he decided to knuckle down and try his hardest to lead by example yet remain silent.

In some way those actions could be interpreted to mean he would continue to lead by example and by not being the spokesman he wouldn't be undermining the new leader. I doubt anyone on here could say he hasn't lifted from last year.

Do you think anyone could say Milford has lifted? I don't believe it is down to Seibold, Milford is solely responsible for his own efforts.

Last edited:
Totally fair. I think Seibold's action in stripping the captaincy from Boyd may have cost him respect rather than building it? What it tacitly has told Boyd is that his leadership was no longer required and I think to Boyd's credit he decided to knuckle down and try his hardest to lead by example yet remain silent.

I don't think any of that is likely. The most likely scenario is that Boyd lost a lot of the respect he had around the place after his insipid efforts in 2019, Seibold stripping him of the captaincy was a show that his efforts weren't up to scratch as a captain of the club.

I think Seibold had hoped that removing the captaincy from Boyd and shifting him to centre would free him of a lot of the burden (no longer relied upon to be captain and no longer the last line of defense), to an extent, it has worked. Boyd is certainly more consistent this year than he was in 2019.. but still not offering what someone of his pedigree should be.

I don't think any of that is likely. The most likely scenario is that Boyd lost a lot of the respect he had around the place after his insipid efforts in 2019, Seibold stripping him of the captaincy was a show that his efforts weren't up to scratch as a captain of the club.

I think Seibold had hoped that removing the captaincy from Boyd and shifting him to centre would free him of a lot of the burden (no longer relied upon to be captain and no longer the last line of defense), to an extent, it has worked. Boyd is certainly more consistent this year than he was in 2019.. but still not offering what someone of his pedigree should be.
Well, that's another way to view it. Wouldn't you agree that being rejected as a leader is essentially saying we don't need or want your leadership? Certainly not his spoken leadership. I believe that Seibold both bent to public opinion and sought a high profile quick fix response. It seemed to be a bit of deflection. Also it took focus off his game day clunky performances. I mean they looked less organised than at the start of the season! Forgivable in the first few games but by seasons end...

In some way those actions could be interpreted to mean he would continue to lead by example and by not being the spokesman he wouldn't be undermining the new leader. I doubt anyone on here could say he hasn't lifted from last year.

Do you think anyone could say Milford has lifted? I don't believe it is down to Seibold, Milford is solely responsible for his own efforts.

Oh come on Huge, Seibold stripping Boyd of his captaincy was hardly tacitly telling Darius that his captaincy was no longer required. That is just SUCH an excuse, one I find has absolutely no basis in reality. It wasn't a tacit anything. It was an overt reaction to Boyd failing as a captain.

However, I do agree with you that Seibold's decision did cost him Boyd's respect, and therein lies a big problem for Seibold, AND this team, because it means Boyd has put his cue in the rack and is saying: "well **** you Seibold."

And the whole team suffers.

Last edited:
**** Boyd. The best thing he has done since 2010, when he wore another jersey, is stand outside Inglis for Qld and fall over the line when required. That and front up to some tough post-game interviews this year.

People go on about his 'leadership'. What fkn leadership?? At training? Fat lot of good it appears to be doing. In defence? Every game he is in the immediate vicinity of at least one vital missed tackle. In attack? I'm in the realm of pure fantasy now.

His only motive for still being out there is to collect his fat pay cheque. I don't blame him for that particularly but let's not pretend there's anything else to it. Fucking 'leadership'. If he was a leader he would drop himself, at least to the wing, and fight to get back into the side where he wants to play, presumably fullback now there appears to be an opening. This would maybe inspire the likes of Isaako, Niu et al to lift as well. Instead he skulks around the field stifling the attack, confusing the defense and looking utterly bored when yet another try is let in by the team.

Compare his general demeanor with Kieran Foran. Foran is another ex-great who has fallen a long way since his peak. He's another supposed leader in a really substandard side. Unlike Boyd, Foran plays with a host of (at best) niggling injuries every week. Unlike Boyd, Foran plays with the huge pressure of being the main playmaker on his shoulders. And unlike Boyd, Foran plays with competitiveness and passion and genuinely seems to want to be out there. Boyd is just a mopey **** with nothing to offer in any capacity.

Move him to fullback? Just play without a fullback and have an extra centre next to Boyd to help him out. I mean why not? What difference would it make? At least we wouldn't be promoting a **** who has obviously regressed in all facets of the game since he was deemed not good enough to wear the number 1 jersey.

Oh come on Huge, Seibold stripping Boyd of his captaincy was hardly tacitly telling Darius that his captaincy was no longer required. That is just SUCH an excuse, one I find has absolutely no basis in reality. It wasn't a tacit anything. It was an overt reaction to Boyd failing as a captain.

However, I do agree with you that Seibold's decision did cost him Boyd's respect, and therein lies a big problem for Seibold, AND this team, because it means Boyd has put his cue in the rack and is saying: "well **** you Seibold."

And the whole team suffers.
Err, dafuq? I said stripping him of the captaincy tacitly told him his LEADERSHIP was no longer required !!!! It also overtly told him his CAPTAINCY was no longer required !!!!

Not sure how that distinction wasn't clear.

As for 'putting his cue in the rack' are you now going to argue Boyd is LESS effective this year ?? That doesn't seem to be the case and certainly doesn't seem to be the prevailing view on bhq where his most strident critics live. If anything he's improved and I cannot see how 'putting his cue in the rack AND telling Seibold to get fucked' can possibly be an argument or criticism.

Also, I did not infer nor say Seibold lost Boyd's respect rather I inferred, if not outright stated in earlier posts that it MAY have cost Seibold some respect from the team who seem to like Boyd a great deal.

Why are you suddenly being so antsy ? Is it because I think Milford is disappointing?

**** Boyd. The best thing he has done since 2010, when he wore another jersey, is stand outside Inglis for Qld and fall over the line when required. That and front up to some tough post-game interviews this year.

People go on about his 'leadership'. What fkn leadership?? At training? Fat lot of good it appears to be doing. In defence? Every game he is in the immediate vicinity of at least one vital missed tackle. In attack? I'm in the realm of pure fantasy now.

His only motive for still being out there is to collect his fat pay cheque. I don't blame him for that particularly but let's not pretend there's anything else to it. Fucking 'leadership'. If he was a leader he would drop himself, at least to the wing, and fight to get back into the side where he wants to play, presumably fullback now there appears to be an opening. This would maybe inspire the likes of Isaako, Niu et al to lift as well. Instead he skulks around the field stifling the attack, confusing the defense and looking utterly bored when yet another try is let in by the team.

Compare his general demeanor with Kieran Foran. Foran is another ex-great who has fallen a long way since his peak. He's another supposed leader in a really substandard side. Unlike Boyd, Foran plays with a host of (at best) niggling injuries every week. Unlike Boyd, Foran plays with the huge pressure of being the main playmaker on his shoulders. And unlike Boyd, Foran plays with competitiveness and passion and genuinely seems to want to be out there. Boyd is just a mopey **** with nothing to offer in any capacity.

Move him to fullback? Just play without a fullback and have an extra centre next to Boyd to help him out. I mean why not? What difference would it make? At least we wouldn't be promoting a **** who has obviously regressed in all facets of the game since he was deemed not good enough to wear the number 1 jersey.
Mmmmmm, 41 likes out of 2,365 posts. ****, you're nailing it brother !!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 One VITAL try in a team getting beating by 50 every week or so!!! Yep, it's him alright😒😒😒😒😒😲

The **** do I care you peanut? I've been on this forum since 2003. I think likes were introduced not long before I took a loooong break, almost 10 years I think. If you post fishing for likes, good for you. If your likes count is what matters in your life, I'm sorry for you.

You seem to think you're the only one entitled to your opinion about Boyd. You're on a one-peanut crusade to rescue the reputation of a footballer who is clearly years past whatever peak period he had. Tell us again about that obscure, meaningless stat you think balances out every other obvious, glaring weakness and deficiency he has.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 One VITAL try in a team getting beating by 50 every week or so!!! Yep, it's him alright😒😒😒😒😒😲

Boring-arse boomers should be IQ tested before they're given their first modem. You seem to be replying to a post I didn't make. I didn't say he's the sole reason we lose by lots every week. I was talking about his so called 'leadership'; one of the last flimsy excuses people like you want to make for him still being in the team. His disgraceful defense (ESPECIALLY AT FULLBACK, REMEMBER?!?) is just one aspect of how this 'leadership' nonsense just plainly is not true.

Feel free to reply to the post I actually made but use more emoticons next time you sad old weirdo.

Last edited:
Boyd is everything that is wrong with this team....... they want the senior players to set the standard..... he’s already done that. He needed to go before Maguire & Macca.

Last edited:
For me, the biggest indicator is when we are being pantsed and they show Boyd in the in goal. No talk, no encouragement, just looks back up field.

Leader? Perhaps previously but he looks cooked. You don’t have to be (c) to work as a team to dig your mates out of a hole.

I hoped for a glimmer of 2010 Boyd but seems like all we got was 2018 Thurston.

Likes a really terrible measure for the value of someone's contribution here. Case in point, look at me.

For what it's worth, I really enjoy gUt's contributions both here and at LU.
Sure, no problem. Perhaps he's not the same on LU. It's pretty evident how enjoyable guts post must be as people generally like posts they enjoy or agree with. I didn't enjoy his putrid post but hey, whatever makes you happy. Now I can't even see the post. Blocked no doubt.

Steve Renouf on the NRL podcast about Boyd

"I think he’s doing it on purpose, out of spite because he isn’t the captain anymore. Well guess what you’re going to be remembered for now Darius? Your last two shit years of Rugby League.”

Go at 'em Pearl.

Steve Renouf on the NRL podcast about Boyd

"I think he’s doing it on purpose, out of spite because he isn’t the captain anymore. Well guess what you’re going to be remembered for now Darius? Your last two shit years of Rugby League.”

Go at 'em Pearl.
Tell us what you really think legend!

For me, the biggest indicator is when we are being pantsed and they show Boyd in the in goal. No talk, no encouragement, just looks back up field.

Leader? Perhaps previously but he looks cooked. You don’t have to be (c) to work as a team to dig your mates out of a hole.

I hoped for a glimmer of 2010 Boyd but seems like all we got was 2018 Thurston.
He can't win with you lot. I covered this earlier, his lack of 'talk'. His words are no longer required by the coach. Should he speak then everyone would either say 'shut the **** up Boyd, you're not the captain anymore' OR 'look at Boyd, Pattycakes is captain and Boyd's undermining him in front of the team' OR ' fucking Boyd should shut up, he's the worst of all them, he should fix his own game up first' OR all of the above.
He just cannot win.
All this and he's given years to the Broncos , more blood lost in a single game than all of BHQ in a lifetime.

He can't win with you lot. I covered this earlier, his lack of 'talk'. His words are no longer required by the coach. Should he speak then everyone would either say 'shut the **** up Boyd, you're not the captain anymore' OR 'look at Boyd, Pattycakes is captain and Boyd's undermining him in front of the team' OR ' fucking Boyd should shut up, he's the worst of all them, he should fix his own game up first' OR all of the above.
He just cannot win.
All this and he's given years to the Broncos , more blood lost in a single game than all of BHQ in a lifetime.

I think I'm actually going to agree with Renouf and the vast majority of Brisbane fans on this one. Boyd is cooked, don't die on this hill.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Broncs1459
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.