RUMOUR Valentine Holmes returns to Cowboys

im hearing Val Holmes to Cowboys is potentially on....

Good news; Cows cant have a legitimate crack at Fifita
Bad news; We are potentially looking elsewhere for a fullback, either within the club or open market...

Yep, sounds like the Cowboys got their man.

Makes sense for the player and the club. Would have been really tough for him to come here on a million dollar deal and repay that investment as quickly as most Broncos fans would have expected.

Great news for Queensland though, we desperately needed a boost in the outside Backs and Holmes can really help in that regard.

Agreed, great reaquisition for the league and definitely for QLD origin squad...

Gotta give credit where its due. They knew what they needed and they went out and got it. They've paid top dollar and there is definitely some risk, but fortune favours the brave.

Lets hope our administration can be just as decisive and effective in getting a result for us.

I'm not gonna get too angry at the club over this one. Yes Holmes will have some question marks coming back from the NFL after Hayne and all that shit but it sounds to me like the Cows basically had him signed, sealed and delivered before he had even first set foot in New York. The meeting with Green was probably just some pre-planned formality to dot I's and cross T's.

Still, is anyone just a tad miffed that the Cowboys are already making big signing moves and we're still sitting here twiddling our thumbs while the staff enjoy a well earned holiday......

I'm not gonna get too angry at the club over this one. Yes Holmes will have some question marks coming back from the NFL after Hayne and all that shit but it sounds to me like the Cows basically had him signed, sealed and delivered before he had even first set foot in New York. The meeting with Green was probably just some pre-planned formality to dot I's and cross T's.

Still, is anyone just a tad miffed that the Cowboys are already making big signing moves and we're still sitting here twiddling our thumbs while the staff enjoy a well earned holiday......

Cowboys are able to do that because they've managed their salary cap better to be fair, they're not really overpaying anyone, except maybe Michael Morgan if he continues his shitty form. We're overpaying at least 4 players.

oh man, going from NYC to Townsville. I think I'd rather drop dead.

Also good, let the cows spend 1million on him. He might be worth it in a few years time, but he isn't atm and we've done our fair share of overpaying.

If this pans out as correct, I would be getting on the phone to Drinkwater's agent to express interest if he is unhappy and wants out.

Q
If this pans out as correct, I would be getting on the phone to Drinkwater's agent to express interest if he is unhappy and wants out.

They are moving him to 6 I believe.

Agree to disagree. I think Inglis is the most natural and perhaps most talented at his best that the game has seen. He could do a lot more than Hayne.

When it comes to skill level, Hayne was better. He had more tricks up his sleeve. But as a footballer, Inglis was better. He relied on his speed and strength. He was also more consistent.

Inglis didn't wait until the back end of a season to go to another level like Hayne did in 2009.

Hayne probably had the highest purple patch in 2009 that I've seen from a player - just wasn't consistent. Hayne probably needed someone like Bennett to go to that next level.

That 10 week stretch in 09 was like nothing else anyone has ever seen. Jayne looked like he was going to become the best of all time easily. Then, he dropped five levels down and while very good, never really even got close again.

The other good thing about this is no one else will likely waste their career by trying NFL if neither of these guys have made it.

Funnily enough, the one guy who could make it in my opinion is Haas. Now, no one tell him that.

He scored five tries from Round 17 onwards...

I'm assuming he made a shit ton of try assists, line breaks etc.

At their absolute best, I'd still take Inglis (at centre) every day of the week.

He scored five tries from Round 17 onwards...

I'm assuming he made a shit ton of try assists, line breaks etc.

At their absolute best, I'd still take Inglis (at centre) every day of the week.

Hayne in 2009 -

26 games, 14 tries, 34 line-breaks, 19 try assists, 11 line-break assists, 175m per game, 6.8 tackle busts per game

Hayne in 2009 -

26 games, 14 tries, 34 line-breaks, 19 try assists, 11 line-break assists, 175m per game, 6.8 tackle busts per game

I was expecting more tries if this period from Hayne is the yardstick - especially going into the finals. Inglis scored seven in the same period, including a hat trick in one of the finals.

Hard to contextualize some of those stats, having not seen all of his mythical '09 run. The impression is often given that he dragged the Eels to the finals.

The running meters and tackle busts are impressive.
[automerge]1571727586[/automerge]
Anyway, back on topic. Yay to Val back for QLD, but otherwise, the era of Broncos stomping the Cows is back. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Mate I fucking hate hayne with a passion but that 09 run was something else.

Last edited:
I was expecting more tries if this period from Hayne is the yardstick - especially going into the finals. Inglis scored seven in the same period, including a hat trick in one of the finals.

Hard to contextualize some of those stats, having not seen all of his mythical '09 run. The impression is often given that he dragged the Eels to the finals.

The running meters and tackle busts are impressive.
[automerge]1571727586[/automerge]
Anyway, back on topic. Yay to Val back for QLD, but otherwise, the era of Broncos stomping the Cows is back. Enjoy.

He's never been a monumental try scorer a la Barba in his prime, but during that period he was absolutely the best in the game at busting the line and making something out of nothing, 19 try assists for a Fullback is pretty impressive, has only been surpassed twice in the last 7 years.

Here are the Try Assist leaders for Fullbacks over the last decade or so, as well as their Try totals for that season -

2019 - Clint Gutherson (13 try assists) - 8 tries - 21 try involvements
2018 - James Tedesco (15 try assists) - 9 tries - 24 try involvements
2017 - Tom Trbojevic (19 try assists) - 12 tries - 31 try involvements
2016 - Matt Moylan (21 try assists) - 4 tries - 25 try involvements
2015 - Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (15 try assists) - 12 tries - 27 try involvements
2014 - Brett Stewart (21 try assists) - 10 tries - 31 try involvements
2013 - Brett Stewart (19 try assists) - 9 tries - 28 try involvements

- (2010-2012 isn't on the NRL.com website, couldn't really be bothered hunting for it)

2009 - Jarryd Hayne (19 try assists) - 14 tries - 33 try involvements

Edit: And yes, I will use any reason to do a deep dive on stats.

Last edited:
He's never been a monumental try scorer a la Barba in his prime, but during that period he was absolutely the best in the game at busting the line and making something out of nothing, 19 try assists for a Fullback is pretty impressive, has only been surpassed twice in the last 7 years.

Here are the Try Assist leaders for Fullbacks over the last decade or so, as well as their Try totals for that season -

2019 - Clint Gutherson (13 try assists) - 8 tries - 21 try involvements
2018 - James Tedesco (15 try assists) - 9 tries - 24 try involvements
2017 - Tom Trbojevic (19 try assists) - 12 tries - 31 try involvements
2016 - Matt Moylan (21 try assists) - 4 tries - 25 try involvements
2015 - Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (15 try assists) - 12 tries - 27 try involvements
2014 - Brett Stewart (21 try assists) - 10 tries - 31 try involvements
2013 - Brett Stewart (19 try assists) - 9 tries - 28 try involvements

- (2010-2012 isn't on the NRL.com website, couldn't really be bothered hunting for it)

2009 - Jarryd Hayne (19 try assists) - 14 tries - 33 try involvements

Edit: And yes, I will use any reason to do a deep dive on stats.

Interesting stats, thanks. I will give the 2009 games a watch at some point - five tries during the last ten rounds seems a bit weak to me though, so he must have been making breaks and setting up tries constantly.

I fully acknowledge Hayne was amazing on his day. Best ever on his day? Not quite, imo.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • BroncoFan94
  • Sproj
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • The Don
  • bert_lifts
  • MrMoore
  • davidp
  • Manlyman
  • Financeguy
  • Manofoneway
  • thenry
  • Broncosgirl
  • Battler
  • Hoof Hearted
  • mieko
  • Swordfish
  • PETERN
  • heartly87
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.