Wallace has to go

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Coaches should only drop players for lack of effort?? What happens if that player tries hard but is just shit ala Wallace

Thanks for reading my post. I'll remind you that the second condition for dropping was if there is an alternative player playing out of his skin.

Wallace isn't shit. Dropping Wallace for Hunt is a sideways move that won't fix the underlying issues of the team.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
Ask yourselves this re Corey Norman, would Des Hasler or Craig Bellamy be picking this bloke week after week as his five eighth ? No way ..

Really depends how many boats Craig bellamy had left

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Bellamy wanted Joel Moon, so who knows what goes on in his head. I can imagine Norman dominating when he can just play his natural game without worry, and leave the creativity to Slater, Cronk and Smith.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Drop him to the QLD cup for a week or 2 so he can get his confidence back and to get his mind off his problems in first grade. On his day he is a very good halfback and can direct a team's attack efficiently.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Nup.

I'm all for giving players time to get it right, but Norman has shown me nothing to suggest he will really make a go of it as a first grade 5/8th. He's hopeless.

Wallace has nothing because at the moment he has a piano on his shoulders. He was getting support from his forwards and fullback in the first half of the season, and ended up in the firing line for the Dally M Medal. Not that I hold that in huge regard, but it at least shows that Wallace is capable of week-in-week-out good performances, unlike his current halves partner who is producing week-in-week-out performances of looking like he has no clue. Wait, what am I saying looking like? He DOESN'T have a clue.

Give Wallace good support and he will perform. His assets such as his short kicking game will come into play. Put Hunt in the halves with him and I guarantee he will play better and certainly better than Norman.

I predict Norman will end up like Brett Seymour and go from club to club, start off performing well but will just keep getting punted when his true colors shine.

I think norman has a place in the team, just not in the halves. He seems to want to play like a centre or fullback so play him there FFS. His one great strength is his support play, so give him a position that suits that role. With all the injuries give him a run at centre, at least we can get glenn or teo back into the back row FFS

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
We can fantasise all we want about the Hook dropping either Norman or Wallace but it won't happen until next year. Coaches should only drop players for lack of effort (or if an understudy is playing out of his skin) and you can hardly say either of those criteria are ticked.

It is also so much easier to critise and bitch than it is to suggest areas for improvement. Easier to knock down a barn than it is to build one, as they say.

Well the solution that I (and a lot of other posters here as well) advocate is fairly pointless and pie-in-the-sky right now because it involves players that are at other clubs / no longer on the open market.

Not suggesting wholesale sweeping changes are needed but its my view that upgrades in personel are needed in a couple of key positions at the broncos if they want to do more than just pay lip service to a premiership push.

The Broncos are running themselves more like an academy at the moment

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Well the solution that I (and a lot of other posters here as well) advocate is fairly pointless and pie-in-the-sky right now because it involves players that are at other clubs / no longer on the open market.

Not suggesting wholesale sweeping changes are needed but its my view that upgrades in personel are needed in a couple of key positions at the broncos if they want to do more than just pay lip service to a premiership push.

The Broncos are running themselves more like an academy at the moment

FWIW, I'm a believer in the premiership window. You can't win a premiership every year (though you would hope to do that) and need to have a serious 5 year plan about how you are going to do that and stick with it. The Broncos are in a rebuilding phase; our best push was Lockyer's exit last year.

We don't need to buy players and in any event there's none on the market.

Wallace is rock solid and when the rest of the team is fit, can produce attacking options.

Corey Norman is a project player for the Broncos. Griffin would have given him tenure at the beginning of this year and said here's your chance, you've got a season to show me what you've got and I won't drop you throughout no matter how shit you play.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
FWIW, I'm a believer in the premiership window. You can't win a premiership every year (though you would hope to do that) and need to have a serious 5 year plan about how you are going to do that and stick with it. The Broncos are in a rebuilding phase; our best push was Lockyer's exit last year.

We don't need to buy players and in any event there's none on the market.

Wallace is rock solid and when the rest of the team is fit, can produce attacking options.

Corey Norman is a project player for the Broncos. Griffin would have given him tenure at the beginning of this year and said here's your chance, you've got a season to show me what you've got and I won't drop you throughout no matter how shit you play.

^ the above is great and SHOULD be a blueprint for success but the problem is as soon any of these youngsters make origin or international they're offered a massive contract somewhere else and are too expensive to keep (for the bronocos anyway) ... there's no reward for developing your own at the moment with the way the salary cap punishes success .. the NRL is all about "fast love" ...

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
^ the above is great and SHOULD be a blueprint for success but the problem is as soon any of these youngsters make origin or international they're offered a massive contract somewhere else and are too expensive to keep (for the bronocos anyway) ... there's no reward for developing your own at the moment with the way the salary cap punishes success .. the NRL is all about "fast love" ...

The NRL hates itself more than a 15 year old girl. It constantly holds itself back for whatever reason I don't know. The salary is a joke and simply punishes clubs that invest in junior development, yet rewards blood suckers that are prepared to get the cheque book out when the development is complete and give nothing back to the game.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

I don't believe that. Our attack even in the early part of the year has struggled. Our defense has won us the majority of our games.

Wallace is holding back the development of Ben Hunt.

He needs to be "re-positioned"......as a bench player or else shown the door.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Am I wrong in that whenever I see Wallace get the ball most of the time he doesn't know what to do?

He gets the ball and just stops, you can see him frantically thinking of what to do and ends up taking a hit-up.

As soon as Hunt came on he knew what he wanted to do when he got the ball, he at least knew that in order to score you have to PASS or KICK.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
I don't believe that. Our attack even in the early part of the year has struggled. Our defense has won us the majority of our games.

Wallace is holding back the development of Ben Hunt.

He needs to be "re-positioned"......as a bench player or else shown the door.
I think you mean Norman is holding back the development of Hunt like he holds every pass till its a piss poor hit up.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
norman would be fine if wallace had any direction.

hunt has direction.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
And Wallace would put his outside men away by playing at 5/8 with Hunt's direction as opposed to Norman who will take a hit up.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Let's put it this way, Wallace was still playing well when Norman went MIA, but progressively went to shit because of having to do everything and trying to put stuff on that he isn't the player for.

Besides, let's be perfectly clear... Only one of them puts 110% effort in each game, the other is a passenger!

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Let's put it this way, Wallace was still playing well when Norman went MIA, but progressively went to shit because of having to do everything and trying to put stuff on that he isn't the player for.

Besides, let's be perfectly clear... Only one of them puts 110% effort in each game, the other is a passenger!

Probably a fair call. He has just been so frustrating. I'd like to see Wallace playing as our 6 and Hunt playing in the 7. I think those 2 would make an excellent combination.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I can see Wallace's kicking and passing game being very effective at second receiver. I think if he had Hunt constructing the play from the inside for him he would be a lot better. And better than Norman.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Hook should grow some nads & show them who's the boss.

He has to sort the shit from clay. (there is a lot of shit ATM). He has to tell them to shape up or ship out.

ATM: He seems to be wrapping them up in cotton wool.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Brocko
  • Dexter
  • Shane Tronc
  • broncos4life
  • KickHaas
  • Cavalo
  • Wolfie
  • Howie
  • Browny
  • Fozz
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • GCBRONCO
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Allo
  • Redfern_1980
  • Maddy
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.