Wallace has to go

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Interesting to note that as of right now Wallace would be in the top 3 for BHQ's POTS.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
at this point i honestly wouldnt care who was dropped/or benched/or whatever. i just want to see some action taken.

as einstein said: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
That's exactly right. I won't even ask where Norman is.

Well, to answer your non-question, Norman was fifth before the table went private - only two spots behind Wallace.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Hook should grow some nads & show them who's the boss.

He has to sort the shit from clay. (there is a lot of shit ATM). He has to tell them to shape up or ship out.

ATM: He seems to be wrapping them up in cotton wool.

couple of things to keep in mind here .. firstly, what coaches say publicly is usually pretty tailored .. criticising your own guys through the media is extremely rare (and frankly not a good move) ..

secondly, young blokes like this nowadays need to be handled with care .. they need to have their tyres pumped up even if it isn't warranted because what they do requires an enormous amount of self confidence and self belief ...

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I can see Wallace's kicking and passing game being very effective at second receiver. I think if he had Hunt constructing the play from the inside for him he would be a lot better. And better than Norman.

This would work very very well IMO. Hunt has shown that he is a good organiser and can play whats in front of him. If I remember correctly Wallace has also been a 6 but moved to 7 when he came to Brisbane cos the guy we had playing 5/8 at the time was doing an ok job haha

The bottom line is Wallace's natural game suits the 6 and Hunt in his limited opportunity has shown that he can organise and adjust his game to take advantage of the changing defensive structure and back his vision and play off the cuff. Norman has shown repeatedly that he decides which option to take in attack about a week and a half prior to kick off.

I

IBA

NYC Player
Mar 23, 2012
The more I think about it, the more I want this to happen. I'm struggling to find a spot for Corey Norman in the team. Huge wraps on him over the last couple of years and I've never seen him come close to living up to it.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
eh, why dont we think outside the box. put norman in the centres. he runs the ball like one. why not try it. hunt at 7, wallace at 6.

the fact is he does have very good footwork and given a bit more space out wide he could probably carve up.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
And Wallace would put his outside men away by playing at 5/8 with Hunt's direction as opposed to Norman who will take a hit up.

Wallace is the hit up king amongst our halves.......

Let's put it this way, Wallace was still playing well when Norman went MIA, but progressively went to shit because of having to do everything and trying to put stuff on that he isn't the player for.

Besides, let's be perfectly clear... Only one of them puts 110% effort in each game, the other is a passenger!

Laughable to blame Wallace's lameness on Norman. In the past, the excuses for Wallace have come thick and fast.

"oh, but Wallace is playing injured" or "Lockyer plays the dominant role, it's not Wallace's job to do anything other than catch and pass".

Now it's "Oh, but Wallace has to do everything himself"

Please.......he has had numerous chances to stand up. He can't. He doesn't have it in him. Better than average defender, but doesn't have one single creative bone in his body. He is not a good leader and can't organise shit.

I have been scathingly critical of John Sutton in years past for his ability to go MIA. At one stage he was easily the laziest footballer in the NRL. This year his form and high involvement has been one of the many reasons why Souths have turned things around. It's taken Sutton 3-4 seasons to find his way playing 5/8 at the top level in the NRL.

Corey Norman is essentially playing his rookie year..........his natural talent IMO isn't too dissimilar to Sutton's.

Norman has time on his side.......we have time on our side with him.

Wallace's time has run out.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
It's taken Sutton 3-4 seasons to find his way playing 5/8 at the top level in the NRL.

3-4 seasons? It's only recently that he's only started playing decently there, and there's nothing to suggest that it's not just a purple patch. He still seems pretty dumb.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
3-4 seasons? It's only recently that he's only started playing decently there, and there's nothing to suggest that it's not just a purple patch. He still seems pretty dumb.

For John Sutton, he has been pretty consistent all year.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Sutton is only playing well because Souths are playing well. He basically is an extra backrower.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Sutton is only playing well because Souths are playing well. He basically is an extra backrower.

Fair point regarding Souffs playing well. What comes first though....the chicken or the egg?

I can't help but listen to some of the comments towards Sutton's form reversal. He's more settled off the field and has finally grown into his own skin on the field. He's apparently one of the half dozen or so team captains that the Bunnies now have. That hasn't done John Sutton any harm at all either.

He always was ear marked as a player with huge potential, but more often than not would take the wrong option and or would go missing. The same could be said of Norman. Their size is similar......Sutton probably a tad bigger, but Norman is only 20 and is still growing. I think this year compared to last, Norman has bulked up considerably.

My overall point is, why write off a talented kid who has it all in front of him and instead stick with someone who has already played his best football (2008-9) and has realistically never been the same since.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
There is no doubt Norman has a lot of natural talent and athleticism. But since you are comparing him to being similar to Sutton, there's also no doubt that his talent doesn't belong in the halves either, which is what most people have a problem with... since he is being played there.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Norman really hasn't shown any ball playing ability. His best games have been when he runs the ball and breaks the line. He would be more suited to being a centre (if he could defend) or at fullback IMo.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
There is no doubt Norman has a lot of natural talent and athleticism. But since you are comparing him to being similar to Sutton, there's also no doubt that his talent doesn't belong in the halves either, which is what most people have a problem with... since he is being played there.

I have doubts that is true. Sutton's playing better outside an organising, creative half like young Adam Reynolds compared to playing outside an enigmatic Chris Sandow?

Norman playing outside Ben Hunt....in the glimpses we've seen, it looks like it could be promising.

I never really subscribed to the theory Sutton was playing out of position. I think it was more about finding a way to get him more involved.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I don't know if Wallace is making Norman play crap or Norman is making Wallace play crap, but the fact is, they're both playing crap and something has to be done.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
eh, why dont we think outside the box. put norman in the centres. he runs the ball like one. why not try it. hunt at 7, wallace at 6.

the fact is he does have very good footwork and given a bit more space out wide he could probably carve up.

1 million percent. I have been saying this over the last few days. Norman plays like a centre and we have backrowers playing in the centres. PUT HIM IN THE CENTRES!!!!! christ it can't be this difficult hook

Active Now

• Shane Tronc
  • Brocko
  • Browny
  • KickHaas
  • Dexter
  • Wolfie
  • Fozz
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Howie
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • GCBRONCO
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Allo
  • Redfern_1980
  • Maddy
  • Jazza
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Bucking Beads
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.