Wallace has to go

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Norman really hasn't shown any ball playing ability. His best games have been when he runs the ball and breaks the line. He would be more suited to being a centre (if he could defend) or at fullback IMo.

Exactly, he's best position would be centre... and as for the defensive issue we have happily accepted Hodgo's lame defense for his whole career so I don't see that as an issue

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I don't know if Wallace is making Norman play crap or Norman is making Wallace play crap, but the fact is, they're both playing crap and something has to be done.

I have been praying for Wallace to get injured so Hunt can join up with norman again and hopefully make it so f***ing obvious that they are the best combination that even hook can't ignore it

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I have been praying for Wallace to get injured so Hunt can join up with norman again and hopefully make it so f***ing obvious that they are the best combination that even hook can't ignore it

I don't think it's obvious at all.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I don't think it's obvious at all.

Nor me. I have great confidence in Hunt, more than most on BHQ, but I'm not dumb enough to think he's the saviour. Norman and Hunt did play well together against Canberra at home earlier this year, but that was when the whole team was firing.

It's worth punting on Hunt, and really, I don't mind if it's Norman or Wallace that makes way, but logic would dictate we need experience out there so give it to Wallace.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
But by a similar token, you also stick with the player in better form.

Norman is about at a 0.

Wallace is about a -3.

Some of the mistakes he's been making have been huge team killers.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
but logic would dictate we need experience out there so give it to Wallace.

Yeah, but all that experience isn't doing much for us at the moment! :laugh:

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
But by a similar token, you also stick with the player in better form.

Norman is about at a 0.

Wallace is about a -3.

Some of the mistakes he's been making have been huge team killers.

Like I said, arguments each way.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Nor me. I have great confidence in Hunt, more than most on BHQ, but I'm not dumb enough to think he's the saviour. Norman and Hunt did play well together against Canberra at home earlier this year, but that was when the whole team was firing.

It's worth punting on Hunt, and really, I don't mind if it's Norman or Wallace that makes way, but logic would dictate we need experience out there so give it to Wallace.

I never said he was the savior, but I would have thought the limited opportunity Hunt got on Monday night would have showed he is prepared to play like a half and not a glorified centre like the other two seem to persist with

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I don't just think it's in the team's best interest we play Hunt, but it's also in Wallace or Norman's best interest they play a bit of QCup and gain back some confidence.

Wallace in particular just seems completely out of it.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I don't just think it's in the team's best interest we play Hunt, but it's also in Wallace or Norman's best interest they play a bit of QCup and gain back some confidence.

Wallace in particular just seems completely out of it.

It's like bizarro world. I'm defending Wallace and Big Pete is calling for his axing... :loool:

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It's a shame because I do respect Wallace as a tough footballer who will bust a nut for you literally and has a habit of coming up with clutch plays. Heck, he even came up with a fantastic kick at the death of the Warriors game to really turn the screws on them. However, he just seems completely out of it and has ever since that Roosters game and I just feel like he's walking on quick sand.

I also agree with what the Broncos are saying. Hoffman, Reed, Hodges, Copley & Parker all need to return so we can get those quick play the balls for our team to function. Reed & Hodges in particular would be huge gains because it'd allow Glenn to go back to the backrow where he will sure up our defence.

I believe the latter is definitely more important than the former in this case but the halves should be addressed. Even if it means Wallace or Norman shifting to the bench.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
With only 5 rounds to the finals it is IMO just too big of a call to drop one of your halves now. It just doesn't leave enough time to rebuild confidence. If anyone goes it's Norman, however I'm very reluctant to make changes until we have our full strength team back on the park. I think you'll see a marked improvement then.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Even if it means Wallace or Norman shifting to the bench.

Wallace can sit on the bench.

He could fill in for either McC, Hunt or Norman.

It's not as crazy as it sounds.......

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
With only 5 rounds to the finals it is IMO just too big of a call to drop one of your halves now. It just doesn't leave enough time to rebuild confidence. If anyone goes it's Norman, however I'm very reluctant to make changes until we have our full strength team back on the park. I think you'll see a marked improvement then.

I'm just concerned with the halves, especially Norman's, ability to recover mentally from what's going on. Wallace has been there and done that, been through really rough patches and then come out the other side and find form. We know he can. Norman is a rookie and as such hasn't done that.

With the season on the line is it worth risking him learning on the job? If Wallace was in form alongside him you'd say yes, but you can't have both halves playing like busteds 5 weeks out and with a risk of dropping out of the finals altogether if they can't jag a win.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
ive wanted wallace gone since 2008, never thought he would ever eventuate into anything other than average with the odd above average game here and there.

but theres no way in hell you drop him now. we took too long, re-signed him too many times, and have invested too much in him to just drop him now when his halves partner is playing even worse than he is. we made our bed, now we have to lie in it. we couldve gone after better prospects or proven performers but we chose to stick with the obviously never going to be a superstar Wallace.

the best game we've played this season IMO was the one where we had Hunt and Norman together in the halves and they carved up. Norman has had his shot in the halves since then, and he has shown little to no progress. time to give hunt a go, heavens knows he deserves it after being so patient for what, 4 years of being told hes the next half for the broncos when lockyer retires?

so Hunt should come in to the 7, Wallace to the 6, McCullough to play the 80, and Norman to reserve grade.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Agree 100% AP!

Be back later, off to get a complete check-up by the doctor... :scared:

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think our whole spine has largely underperformed all year. Hoffman has struggled with injury and just can't get his shit together. Norman and Wallace have failed to create the combination we need. I think Norman and Wallace are similar types of players with Wallace having the slightly bigger brain and better ball playing abilities. I don't think Macca has taken the next step either.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I can't believe the flaming I coped for suggesting we need a few variations around the ruck and a couple of decent go to plays inside 20 now nearly everyone wants players dropped and positional changes to be made throughout the side.

The fact of the matter is we still have a shot at the top 4 and now is not the time for Hook to lose it and start destroying the confidence of the team.
A few little plays to bring the forwards onto the ball so they are not constantly running into 3 defenders will speed up our play ball also get some wide second man plays happening inside 20 would be a great start to turning things around.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.