OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Already we are flagging the possibility that Herbie might up stumps and head over to Dolphins to get an opportunity.

There's a number of players being flagged as not getting retained to make room for Walsh's contract.

If players within the playing group are mates with those being moved on or they deem the guy coming in for them won't be able to contribute to the same level, then it can cause discontent.

I hope that we have a strong enough leadership group forming that it can withstand a bit of churn across the roster, but there is a risk that we upset the status quo.
The notion of Herbie holding the club to ransom over a positional change was never on anyway. If he thinks he can wrestle the position off Walsh, good for him. Maybe it will be a wakeup call that he should be grateful to have the centre position tied down.

The players "flagged" to make room for his contract was merely a space filling journalistic construct that has little bearing on reality. The players listed this morning were all coming off contract and unlikely to be re-signed anyway. We really don't know how much he'll be paid despite what we've read today, and it's not worth trying to do the sums. If it really is less than $500k, that's not a lot for us to find.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

How does one get this job? I want to be paid for pure guess work and creative concepts based on nothing but my own imagination too.
They are all wrong anyway. I have heard that the club is impressed at Cobbo's ability to cart the ball up and are looking at him to replace Payne in the front row.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
"...six weeks ago we asked Reece what was his preference and that was the Broncos."

NZ Warriors CEO quote. This is massive because Walsh isn't just coming because we are the only club that can negotiate, we are the club he WANTS to come back to. This is a legit win over Redcliffe and a massive shot across every other club's bow, we are back as a powerhouse and destination club. I reckon everyone, players included, can see that we appear to be rising as the Panthers' biggest rival in coming years.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
Buzz reporting TMM is apart of a swap deal for Walsh.
Makes no sense as he is off contract UNLESS he had been re-signed (hush hush) and will now be released?
TMM has been very, very good for us so if true, I’m happy yeh will get to go back home and hopefully earn some decent $

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Makes no sense as he is off contract UNLESS he had been re-signed (hush hush) and will now be released?
TMM has been very, very good for us so if true, I’m happy yeh will get to go back home and hopefully earn some decent $

someone needs to tell buzz to put down the bottle and stop reading fan forums to get his "news"

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
There's a number of players being flagged as not getting retained to make room for Walsh's contract.

If players within the playing group are mates with those being moved on or they deem the guy coming in for them won't be able to contribute to the same level, then it can cause discontent.

So far I haven't seen anyone flagged as being moved on or not retained whose time wasn't coming to an end anyway. Turpin was already looking for another club due to limited playing time, and was never going to be extended. Brenko just arrived, I'm sure he's a great guy and all but how attached could the other players be, and similarly to Turps he was already looking move on for a better crack at a starting spot. Mead is retiring. I'd say Oates will stay for a reasonable contract. Niu might stay or might go, but in any case I'm not sure you could say the players would think Walsh was anything but an upgrade. Martin is a better argument there, but never a lock to be here next year anyway. Herbie is the big risk, but he was always a risk of leaving after next year anyway.

Plus it's not like Walsh is a stranger to the team - he's close to a lot of the core group. I can't see how his arrival would cause much, if any, discontent.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

It actually makes sense given this deal is likely to happen this year.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
It was always going to be a delicate situation when we decided to go back to market for recruitment.

Whoever is intended to be brought in has to fit in with the culture that is being developed at the club.

They're instilling a bit of a siege mentality where they as a group are looking to achieve and become successful without needing outside help.

That mindset eventually leads to development of a leadership group and accountability policed by the playing group, which is what the storm have.

I don't necessarily think we are there yet in having a playing group that will keep each other accountable, so bringing in any sort of ego has potential to upset the apple cart... alternatively losing a player that is well liked across the playing group for a new blow-in has potential to cause discontent as well.

Already we are flagging the possibility that Herbie might up stumps and head over to Dolphins to get an opportunity.

I hope that we have a strong enough leadership group forming that it can withstand a bit of churn across the roster, but there is a risk that we upset the status quo.
Reece Walsh is our best fullback. FULLSTOP. Herbie was leaving regardless, so was probably TMM and so was Arthars. Payne Haas has nothing to do with this at all and might even be more likely to stay as a result. People suggesting Kotoni are just being stupid. Reece has not changed much except made players futures more glaringly obvious than they already were. He got the motions rolling months in advance instead of down the track. He doesn’t change a single outcome and improved our side tremendously both now and especially in the long term future. As much as people will want to remain angry at what happened last year, it’s good business from us and it’s time to move on because we got him on a good price (reportedly) and he actually wants to be here this time around.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
It actually makes sense given this deal is likely to happen this year.
Yeah it makes sense I just don’t know how it is possible.

Edit: I was premature to write this after 4 words not the entire thing. Can only make sense if it is for this year to keep him off the market and extend him immediately.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

How does one get this job? I want to be paid for pure guess work and creative concepts based on nothing but my own imagination too.
And you mocked me for saying most journalists don't fully understand the subject matter they're writing about. It's true: they only need to know more about it than you.

Most sports journalists start with an interest in some kind of sport, or played it at school. You don't need a journalism degree to be a journalist, or any degree for that matter, but you need to be able to scrape together copy on time that doesn't get your publication in trouble.

Eamonn is actually pretty qualified. He has a BA in Journalism from UQ and some post and midgrad quals in Sports Journalism including a stint at UT in Austin. He even slummed it at 4ZZZ for a while, like the best of us.

As for Selwyn playing in the halves. Ahem...

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Exactly. You have to think that part of this is organizing for it to happen this year. If he doesn't want to be away from his daughter he is going to not want to go back to NZ even this year.
Yeah look if they are releasing him and we are doing a play swap which I can live with. It has to be happening this year. No point running around with dicks in our hand waiting 9 months when we can start laying the ground works now. Premiership is out of the question for us and arguably TMM in form won’t do them to much damage to their limited top 8 chances.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

lol.

you didn't need to ring the NRL for clarification ... I can answer that for them.

Because he is not off contract Mr. Bennett, so the Warriors have every right to make any decision they want regarding his release. even if that is that they are prepared to release him to any club except the Dolphins

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yeah look if they are releasing him and we are doing a play swap which I can live with. It has to be happening this year. No point running around with dicks in our hand waiting 9 months when we can start laying the ground works now. Premiership is out of the question for us and arguably TMM in form won’t do them to much damage to their limited top 8 chances.
I think it's all timed around CNK replacing him next season. There's been no talk about a release this season.

As for the sweetener, the Warriors are doing us a massive solid by blocking the Dolphins. It doesn't even sound legal, but technically they own him so I'm guessing that gives them some rights to restrain trade.

Unread

Active Now

• Browny
  • Lostboy
  • Strop
  • Mick_Hancock
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Fozz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Alec
  • Bucking Beads
  • kiwibronco
  • FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • Tim K
  • leon.bott
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Dexter
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.