OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I wouldn't be so quick on that one.

I'm not saying TMM won't end up at the Warriors ... but unless the swap is for this current season, then we can't offer him up in a swap deal as he isn't contracted to us for next season

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I'm not saying TMM won't end up at the Warriors ... but unless the swap is for this current season, then we can't offer him up in a swap deal as he isn't contracted to us for next season
Yeah exactly right. I definitely do not take Buzz’s word but if it’s a swap it has to be for this year otherwise we are just signing Walsh and they are just signing TMM they have 0 link as a package.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
It could be part of the negotiation and conditions.

Remember, TMM was "set to". If Broncos are the middle men in making it happen, there is nothing rule breaking about it.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The notion of Herbie holding the club to ransom over a positional change was never on anyway. If he thinks he can wrestle the position off Walsh, good for him. Maybe it will be a wakeup call that he should be grateful to have the centre position tied down.

The players "flagged" to make room for his contract was merely a space filling journalistic construct that has little bearing on reality. The players listed this morning were all coming off contract and unlikely to be re-signed anyway. We really don't know how much he'll be paid despite what we've read today, and it's not worth trying to do the sums. If it really is less than $500k, that's not a lot for us to find.
I'm not so much talking about the speculation, specific players or R&R side of things.... I'm referring more about the playing group and relationships within that playing group.

The possibility of churning up the roster to bring in outside guys that havent been part of the down period or rebuilding of the culture, etc. has to be handled delicately so as to not cause discontent across the group.

It's inevitable that we need to recruit externally, but the R&R and coaching need to be mindful of the impact (positive or negative) bringing a recruit in will have on the playing group.

Walsh is good mates with a lot of the young guys... but how will the senior heads of Reynolds and Capewell feel about him coming in, possibly at the expense of TMM... they're professionals so they'll get on with the job, but if they start calling Reece out on taking shortcuts does that start to resonate with his mates. We dont want a situation where the young studs are leading the senior group... Reyno and Capewell wont allow that to happen, but who are the next leaders coming through and will they continue to uphold the standards.

Patty looks to be making that step up to the leadership group, but does he have it in his nature to call out his good mate if he's taking shortcuts.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I'm not so much talking about the speculation, specific players or R&R side of things.... I'm referring more about the playing group and relationships within that playing group.

The possibility of churning up the roster to bring in outside guys that havent been part of the down period or rebuilding of the culture, etc. has to be handled delicately so as to not cause discontent across the group.

It's inevitable that we need to recruit externally, but the R&R and coaching need to be mindful of the impact (positive or negative) bringing a recruit in will have on the playing group.

Walsh is good mates with a lot of the young guys... but how will the senior heads of Reynolds and Capewell feel about him coming in, possibly at the expense of TMM... they're professionals so they'll get on with the job, but if they start calling Reece out on taking shortcuts does that start to resonate with his mates. We dont want a situation where the young studs are leading the senior group... Reyno and Capewell wont allow that to happen, but who are the next leaders coming through and will they continue to uphold the standards.

Patty looks to be making that step up to the leadership group, but does he have it in his nature to call out his good mate if he's taking shortcuts.
The only shortcut Reece will be taking will be to the tryline.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
And you mocked me for saying most journalists don't fully understand the subject matter they're writing about. It's true: they only need to know more about it than you.

Most sports journalists start with an interest in some kind of sport, or played it at school. You don't need a journalism degree to be a journalist, or any degree for that matter, but you need to be able to scrape together copy on time that doesn't get your publication in trouble.

Eamonn is actually pretty qualified. He has a BA in Journalism from UQ and some post and midgrad quals in Sports Journalism including a stint at UT in Austin. He even slummed it at 4ZZZ for a while, like the best of us.

As for Selwyn playing in the halves. Ahem...

I'm not getting into this discussion again other than to say that if this 'journalist' thinks Cobbo is moving into the halves to accommodate Walsh going to fullback (where Cobbo doesn't currently play), I find it hard to believe he knows more about it than me.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I'm not getting into this discussion again other than to say that if this 'journalist' thinks Cobbo is moving into the halves to accommodate Walsh going to fullback (where Cobbo doesn't currently play), I find it hard to believe he knows more about it than me.
And there you have it.

Let me introduce you to Knoll's Law and the Gell-Mann amnesia effect

CHPpp0oWsAA2Wzp

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Mainly because he's made it clear he doesnt want to stay there, and if he does he wants to play right side.
Herbie might just have to fit in or **** off then.......

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
I wonder the chances of this all happening this year. CNK to Warriors, or even just TMM & Walsh back home.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I really don't think that Herbie expressing that he wants to play FB at some point in his career needs to be theory crafted. He's 22 years old and will probably be happy playing Centre for several years. The 1 year deal is probably more about salary cap than it is about him wanting to play a position. Most of these guys want to play NRL first, want to win second and want to play a certain position third. Herbie might leave the club at some point, but his worth doesn't skyrocket as a FB in a losing broncos outfit. It does however skyrocket as a premiership winning centre moving to FB at a new club. Look what happened to Latrell Mitchell.

In any sense, I very much doubt Herbie will be ropable. He will probably still get a crack at a preseason at FB just like Oates did at 2nd row a few years ago.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I really don't think that Herbie expressing that he wants to play FB at some point in his career needs to be theory crafted. He's 22 years old and will probably be happy playing Centre for several years. The 1 year deal is probably more about salary cap than it is about him wanting to play a position. Most of these guys want to play NRL first, want to win second and want to play a certain position third. Herbie might leave the club at some point, but his worth doesn't skyrocket as a FB in a losing broncos outfit. It does however skyrocket as a premiership winning centre moving to FB at a new club. Look what happened to Latrell Mitchell.

In any sense, I very much doubt Herbie will be ropable. He will probably still get a crack at a preseason at FB just like Oates did at 2nd row a few years ago.
Did you see the press conference, and other interviews he did where he said he wanted to play fullback? It's possible he wants to play that position because he wants to play that position, not because of the money.

Regardless, he will not be happy. Hopefully, he'll only be disappointed, rather than ropeable. But I think he'll be a bit pissed off at the least. How that will manifest itself is anyone's guess. Herbie is pretty professional. I think he'll do his job, but he could very well leave.

He said all the right things here, but they always do:

Maybe Kotoni was unhappy at the start of the season because he never got the shot at 6 he was promised. He certainly played it down, but how he really felt about it we don't know.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008

You're not thinking of it like it's a soap opera. Martin is feeling disrespected by Herbie, Herbie is ropable about Walsh, Walsh is crushing on Patty, but Patty is in love with Payne, and Payne is thinking of quitting Summer Bay altogether to pursue a movie career in Hollywood. The only question is do they say he simply moved to the city or just outright kill him off? Tune in next week to find out!

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Did you see the press conference, and other interviews he did where he said he wanted to play fullback? It's possible he wants to play that position because he wants to play that position, not because of the money.

Regardless, he will not be happy. Hopefully, he'll only be disappointed, rather than ropeable. But I think he'll be a bit pissed off at the least. How that will manifest itself is anyone's guess. Herbie is pretty professional. I think he'll do his job, but he could very well leave.

He said all the right things here, but they always do:

Maybe Kotoni was unhappy at the start of the season because he never got the shot at 6 he was promised. He certainly played it down, but how he really felt about it we don't know.
Exactly right, we just don't know.. everything is speculation.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
You're not thinking of it like it's a soap opera. Martin is feeling disrespected by Herbie, Herbie is ropable about Walsh, Walsh is crushing on Patty, but Patty is in love with Payne, and Payne is thinking of quitting Summer Bay altogether to pursue a movie career in Hollywood. The only question is do they say he simply moved to the city or just outright kill him off? Tune in next week to find out!

I heard Payne's moving to Yabbie Creek?

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
you just have to laugh at Badel. his latest article is full of contradictions:

He starts by saying Reece is a "officially" a Bronco ... the literally 2 paragraphs later says it is "understood" that Walsh has signed a 3 year contract

He says we've freed up $1 million under the cap to brin g Walsh home ... then later says his contract won't break the bank and greately exceed his 400k Warriors contract ... furthermore he says that we are severing ties with as many as 6 top-liners to fund the purchase of Walsh (coincidently the figures for these players he states in the article equals close to the $1 million (James, Mead, Turpin, Lee, Kennedy)

finally he says that Walsh rejected a $2.8 million deal (700k per year) from the Dolphins ... but he hasn't been able to negotiate with them
My thoughts on this info.

1. Those that are leaving were already leaving. Part of this will go to him no doubts. Maybe half by the sounds.
2. That offer is probably from earlier in the year when they Dolphins were trying to agitate for release, and or either a sneaky way for them to get their current offer in front of his eyes.

Funny how this is being presented. The Dolphins have no right to just assume they can have whoever they want. They should have chased the right players early and offered them 2 million or more. Spen half the cap on three players and filled it with journey men and hidden gems in cup level. Instead they tried getting players who currently contracted. Wayne should of known better, like super battles clubs will stand their ground when their not getting anything in return. Some would be fully prepared to have players ride the pine than let them play for another team for no return on investments.

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Manofoneway
  • Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • Gympie devil
  • Rambstien
  • leon.bott
  • Organix
  • BroncosMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.