OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

What about Tesi though? He is absolute trash defensively but he's a weapon in attack too.
Maybe Niu goes to halfback long term? Or adds to his game over time the ability to play halfback? Munster, Hughes and Hynes all made that switch to the halves, so it is technically possible. Ponga proved it isn't as easy as it looks though.

I'm not completely sure if bringing Walsh back was because we really needed him, or because he was available. But if it works, Walsh, Mam and Paix/Mozer looks very good based on potential for long term success.

Maybe Niu goes to halfback long term? Or adds to his game over time the ability to play halfback? Munster, Hughes and Hynes all made that switch to the halves, so it is technically possible. Ponga proved it isn't as easy as it looks though.

I'm not completely sure if bringing Walsh back was because we really needed him, or because he was available. But if it works, Walsh, Mam and Paix/Mozer looks very good based on potential for long term success.
Tesi is not smart enough of a footballer to play halfback. He is a liability defending in the line also, worse than Milford. It seems so common these days. These instinctive exciting footballers in attack but cant defend to save themselves.

What about Tesi though? He is absolute trash defensively but he's a weapon in attack too.
I think Walsh is over rated but he is still far in front of tesi offensively, and even defensively. TMM offensively he is better but defensively he isn't. I think TMM links in well in a backline and gives the right pass more often than not but Walsh does that plus lurks in the middle with footwork like niu (niu can't pass and often stuffs up backlinr plays).
I think Walsh can improve his defence with the right coaching and attitude. Whether that happens is yet to be seen but it's far more likely than niu or TMM surpassing him in attack. All that being said, still think he's over rated in the media, but definitely worth the money we are paying him in reports as long as he doesn't bring a bad attitude that upsets the apple cart of a well performing team on the up even without him.

I don't get why you'd want to find a way to squeeze niu into our team next year. Walsh and TMM are better on just about every level at fullback, and in the halves. There's about 6 better options in the centres.
Ask yourselves this, what other nrl team would he being the 1st choice fullback? And if you do find one (I couldnt) then I still guarantee they would be looking for an upgrade signing. He's a talent with his ball running sometimes but he is missing so many areas that a quality fullback needs these days. I think he will be a career 2nd string fullback. A quality one, play between 80-140 first grade games, but still not the first choice at any club he goes too for longer than a season. Maybe I'm missing something, he has had great games, but he just gives me the isaako vibes. Amazing athlete and plenty of skill but just lacks the footy smarts and variety in his game.

I think Walsh is over rated but he is still far in front of tesi offensively, and even defensively. TMM offensively he is better but defensively he isn't. I think TMM links in well in a backline and gives the right pass more often than not but Walsh does that plus lurks in the middle with footwork like niu (niu can't pass and often stuffs up backlinr plays).
I think Walsh can improve his defence with the right coaching and attitude. Whether that happens is yet to be seen but it's far more likely than niu or TMM surpassing him in attack. All that being said, still think he's over rated in the media, but definitely worth the money we are paying him in reports as long as he doesn't bring a bad attitude that upsets the apple cart of a well performing team on the up even without him.

I get all your points but I think Tesi has a beautiful pass. If we feel coaching can fix Walsh’s defense, wouldn’t the same be true of Tesi?

I don't get why you'd want to find a way to squeeze niu into our team next year. Walsh and TMM are better on just about every level at fullback, and in the halves. There's about 6 better options in the centres.
Ask yourselves this, what other nrl team would he being the 1st choice fullback? And if you do find one (I couldnt) then I still guarantee they would be looking for an upgrade signing. He's a talent with his ball running sometimes but he is missing so many areas that a quality fullback needs these days. I think he will be a career 2nd string fullback. A quality one, play between 80-140 first grade games, but still not the first choice at any club he goes too for longer than a season. Maybe I'm missing something, he has had great games, but he just gives me the isaako vibes. Amazing athlete and plenty of skill but just lacks the footy smarts and variety in his game.

On that point, which fullbacks would Walsh push out at other clubs?

I think both Tesi and Reece are better than Laurie as one but who else?

Walsh has the higher ceiling IMO, just an allround gifted player, he's just still very young (though there's only 1 year difference between him and Niu, both still have a lot of developing to do). Niu seems very athletically gifted and his passing game is better than what I origianlly expected, so maybe in a few years he will prove us wrong, but I just think if you were gonna bet on of these, you'd feel more confident betting on Walsh.

I dunno how good Tesi will be but he was outstanding today, if he keeps playing at that level I can see him holding his spot

Half of the things he gets blamed for are unfair, people were digging it in because he couldn't make the tackle on Moses Suli.. who is making that tackle?

I thought Tesi was pretty excellent, a few moments of dumb, but two of his try assists were absolute pearler passes and his support play was good.

Unlike Isaako, I think he could become a handy fullback, we really should try to offload him to the Dolphins, he's good enough to be a first grader.

Tigers, titans, bulldogs, Canberra and dragons would all take Walsh over their current choices for the price we got him. If niu was asking the same price I doubt any of them would risk it. A few other clubs would also consider moving their fullback or getting him in for a transition in the next 2-3 years for the price we got as well.

I'd have Walsh over CNK, Jayden Campbell, Latrell (because I hate the prick), Dufty, maybe even Kennedy.

Walsh is in year 1, has a lot of potential - is a good goal kicker (this trait cannot be underrated when our backup is Staggs, while competent, is not great).

Nui had a good game, but people are forgetting the screams to bury him in the games leading up to him being injured. He attacked the highball today which was, well, his job, but he at least didn't have the yips there. Let's see how he goes against the tits next week before we get too carried away.

This signing has me torn.

from a purely talent perspective, it was a no brainer. he certainly has the potential to be one of the best fullbacks in the game ... not to mention the reported $450k contract is a bargain.

but I keep coming back to the way he left and his desire to take a shortcut into the NRL, then there was the cocaine arrest in the off season.

he is a kid, so hopefully he has learned from his mistakes and comes here with a new attitude, ready to do the hard work. he'll have an excellent resource (if he's prepared to use it) in Darbs. He'll also have good leaders in ARey and Capes ... the fact that he nominated us as his preferred destination and then didn't hold us to ransom (as everyone knew the Dolphins would have gone hard at him) is certainly encouraging, and a good sign that his attitude has improved.

I would have him working overtime with Darbs during the pre-season to help improve the organisation of the defence (and his own defence). it is his biggest weakness IMO.

Yes, he's a gun, he's far ahead of Tesi and TMM.
He is good but ahead of TMM is a bit far, he is not as composed as martin even if his ability is higher.

Remember when Cowboys made the final without Thurston, it wasn't a surprise that Martin was heavily involved when that happened(though yes Morgan was the main reason).

Staggs 28, Cobbo 28, Walsh 25, and Oates 20 are all in the top 10 for errors this season.

I get all your points but I think Tesi has a beautiful pass. If we feel coaching can fix Walsh’s defense, wouldn’t the same be true of Tesi?
yeah he's only 20 so plenty of learning to be had , people just love to hate on certain players. i think walsh has the bigger ceiling but teai can still be a good player imo , has all the skills.

Tesi is not smart enough of a footballer to play halfback. He is a liability defending in the line also, worse than Milford. It seems so common these days. These instinctive exciting footballers in attack but cant defend to save themselves.
I agree that there are a lot of good attacking footballers who could work on their defence, but there is another 2 years on Reynolds current contract so there is time for Niu to slowly make the changes if needed.

With things like HIA's and injuries being able to mess with the season, I could see having a Preston Campbell/Kurt Gidley/Michael Morgan style utility or two who can play multiple positions in a spine on the bench or in reserve being a highly useful player for pretty much any NRL club by the end of the decade.

Unless Payne was to go..
The thing with Selwyn is does he himself want to play fullback or is it just a push from the media?
When asked in interviews what's his best position? Where do you want to play? He's always said anywhere in the back 5..
The only noise about him being the future fullback has only been speculation because really we don't/didn't have anyone else..
I'd be happy for Selwyn to become a Yow Yeh/Sailor type winger with a roving license like when Turbo plays for NSW.
100% this post.

It's also very much a racist thing in my eyes too no matter how much people don't want to admit it.

They see a boom indigenous boy with that body shape and everyone wants to see the next Latrell and GI. GI didn't play fullback til later in his career, same with Latrell but people forget Sailor and Hodges.

I believe if anyone is so closed minded and can't see Selwyn Cobbo is just the next Selwyn Cobbo, then he's the next Sailor / Hodges.

I actually cringe everytime the media comes out with the "he's touted as the next fullback" or "he's very much in the vein on GI or Latrell"

Usually it's Mr Need A Cab Home James Hooper

Active Now

• Galah
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • pennywisealfie
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Financeguy
  • broncos4life
  • Broncorob
  • lynx000
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncosAlways
  • sooticus
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
  • Redux
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • The True King
  • bb_gun
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.