OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Reece Walsh:

“I am really pleased with the decision I have made and I am coming home. My childhood dream has come true.”​
“The Warriors were so good to me and that is why it made it hard. I did want to repay them and give back to them for helping me through a tough time. It was tough to sit down and talk to Cam and have a conversation about my family situation and what was going on behind the scenes. It was a hard conversation to have but in saying that the club are run by amazing people and they fully understood."​
“I was really grateful and really happy with how they took it and how much support they gave to me. I didn’t feel I could go to New Zealand and miss crucial parts of my daughter growing up. I don’t think I was ready to leave all that behind and go over to New Zealand by myself. For her to be here and grow up, and me to miss her ride a bike of the first time and go to school for the first time, it was going to be too hard.”​
“When I am making these decisions I am not just thinking about myself any more. My daughter is the main reason I go out there and do what I do. It is for her. I want her to grow up and know that I love her and that I am there for her. I want her to look at me and be proud of me. I want to give her the life I never got. I grew up with mum and dad being split – it was really tough. I didn’t want my daughter to grow up and think that I am not there and that I don’t love her and I don’t want to be with her, because I do love her with all my heart and I will do anything for that little girl. For me to be able to stay in Queensland, I couldn’t give that up. She means the world to me mate.”​
“The Warriors asked the question about where I would prefer to go. I said I have an awesome relationship with everyone back in Brisbane and I have a lot of really good mates in Brisbane. I felt that would be a pretty easy transition for me to go back to Brissie. I have been there since I was 13 years old. It is a club I always wanted to play for."​
“I grew up supporting the Broncos. I have always wanted to pull on a Broncos jersey. When I did leave it was tough. I had a lot of really good mates there. I always watched their games. I don’t think I have ever missed a game. I would always smile sitting there and watching the boys play. I would always think maybe one day. When I got the opportunity to come back to the Broncos, I was not going to give it up.”​
“I never sat down and had a conversation with Wayne. Wayne had nothing to do with this and it was never his fault. I don’t feel like anyone should be giving Wayne flak. When I sat down and spoke to Nash and my family, the decision was never going to be about money. It was always going to be closer to my daughter. I can live on the Gold Coast and travel up to Red Hill every day. I am young. I know if I put my head down for a bit I can have a long career in the game. That’s what I want to do. I know money is going to come. It was never about the money mate.”​
“I have seen a lot of talk about that, about me and Kevin’s relationship being bad, that is not the truth. What happened at the Broncos was that I was a young kid coming through and I wanted to play NRL. At that time Kevin had just taken on the job and he had seen a lot of young kids coming in probably a bit early and not go through the best stage. Kevin tried to protect me a bit. He was always honest with me and wanted to protect me, and make sure that I came into first grade at the right time."​
“I respected his decision and what he wanted to do. Obviously I got a really good opportunity to come to the Warriors and learn off an elite fullback in Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and probably one of the best fullbacks we have seen, and to play first grade. I took that opportunity and Kevvie respected that. There was never any bad blood or anything like that.”​
“I know how it looks and I know people are going to be a bit disappointed I am going but everyone time I put on that Warriors jersey I am not going to take it for granted. I am not thinking just because I am going next year, I can slacken off. The mentality I have at the moment is very time I put on that jersey I want to go out and put 100 perfect effort, and show the club and the boys that I am going to stick solid this year and repay them.”​
exactly what I wrote about his reasoning

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
When is the deadline, nowadays? August 1?

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
If Walsh were to join the club this season would he technically be on more pay this season than next?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
If Walsh were to join the club this season would he technically be on more pay this season than next?
No, we just carry over his Warriors contract for this year, unless you mean are we paying him more next year? Which by all reports we're not.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
No, we just carry over his Warriors contract for this year, unless you mean are we paying him more next year? Which by all reports we're not.
No, I mean we have to match the contract he is on at the Warriors, so wouldn’t we be paying him more than next year if he was to join this season?

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
What he meant was would he make more this year from us than next year. The answer to that is no. He only gets the remaining 3.5 months worth of pay (November 1 2021 - November 1 2022 is the salary period). So divide what he is on by 12 and times it by 3.5 or however much from then in and that’s how much he is paid. In terms of earnings this year he still gets the same just depends who is paying what portion.

@Mister Wright

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Does anyone have any insight into why he was benched at the Warriors?

If it’s a case of wanting to develop a player who will be there next year vs giving playing time to someone who is leaving then Warriors should absolutely be open to an early release and we should push hard for it.

If Walsh has genuinely been outplayed and lost his starting job then it’s pretty concerning for his prospects moving forward and casts some doubt over his ability to handle the fullback role for us next year if he can’t even make grade with a bottom 4 team like the Warriors….

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Would be good to give TMM the chance to finish the year strong with us and potentially play finals football. Would be a good reward for him after his comeback. He's been great for us. Walsh can wait until next year.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Does anyone have any insight into why he was benched at the Warriors?

If it’s a case of wanting to develop a player who will be there next year vs giving playing time to someone who is leaving then Warriors should absolutely be open to an early release and we should push hard for it.

If Walsh has genuinely been outplayed and lost his starting job then it’s pretty concerning for his prospects moving forward and casts some doubt over his ability to handle the fullback role for us next year if he can’t even make grade with a bottom 4 team like the Warriors….
I don't think it's a case of developing a player since his replacement is taking a sabbatical next year.

I thought last week Walsh was out of sync with the rest of his teams. He tried hard but he was forcing passes and kicks that put his team under pressure and it just made life easier on the Eels who were pretty ordinary on the night.

If he was staying the Warriors would likely cop it sweet and chalk it up to development. However with Walsh's future sealed they figure they should play around with the team dynamic and give Reece less responsibility.

Active Now

• Galco
  • Bish
  • jarro65
  • Swordfish
  • Culhwch
  • FACTHUNT
  • Behold
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • Lostboy
  • pennywisealfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Old Mate
  • Shane Tronc
  • Galah
  • Allo
  • Skyblues87
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncs1459
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.