NEWS Walters: roster is pretty much sorted

IMO, it will come down to game plan and confidence with the spine. making sure we design a game plan that suits their strengths and negates their weaknesses.

IMO, we need to go old school with this spine, which i definitely think is in Walters wheelhouse.

we need Dearden running the team from both sides of the field

we need Milford and Isaako (or Nui) running the ball, using their footwork and speed. we also need these guys sniffing around the ruck, ready for an offload.

we need Turps to deliver quick but quality ball to out halves. in fact, we need him to play a similar style to cook.

these are all things that are achievable, and will go a long way to ensuring we play finals in 2021
Most of all. We need to stop teams putting 30 points on us per game.

Exactly. We need to defend. We can’t score points when we are standing behind our own goal posts.
We also need someone leading who has a bit of ticker, rather than being limp noodles. It’s grossly unfair to blame Carrigan (or even Croft) in that regard, as they’re only kids.

But all too often over the Seibold reign (and even, at times, going back as far as 2017 and ‘18 when we were being beaten), be it Boyd or Glenn or any of the other senior members in the squad, when we were inevitably being flogged week after week, no one stood up and put a rocket up the players. No one lead from the front, no one was inspiring (think a Petero, a Webcke, a Tallis, a Hodges, a Lockyer. Even a McGuire, or a Tate). Someone, anyone to follow.

I think we’ll be fine this season when things are going well, but I worry if we start to spiral out of control again, we are worryingly short of anyone in the squad who can dig us out of the hole.

We also need someone leading who has a bit of ticker, rather than being limp noodles. It’s grossly unfair to blame Carrigan (or even Croft) in that regard, as they’re only kids.

But all too often over the Seibold reign (and even, at times, going back as far as 2017 and ‘18 when we were being beaten), be it Boyd or Glenn or any of the other senior members in the squad, when we were inevitably being flogged week after week, no one stood up and put a rocket up the players. No one lead from the front, no one was inspiring (think a Petero, a Webcke, a Tallis, a Hodges, a Lockyer. Even a McGuire, or a Tate). Someone, anyone to follow.

I think we’ll be fine this season when things are going well, but I worry if we start to spiral out of control again, we are worryingly short of anyone in the squad who can dig us out of the hole.
Yeah leadership has been a big issue. I hate to say it but I think it could be Macca who plays a big part in this, which is why I think he needs to be somewhere in the 17.

I’m hoping his little exile has really pissed him off. Imagine being punted from your club of 10 years only to watch a bunch of 20 year old run it into the ground. It would be hard not to take that personally.

While I don't think we are going to be great we are at least going to be good and not come last.

The team itself is a good team it has just been destroyed by a truly awful coach. All we need is all the players we have to play at least average and we will be much better. If a few of our key players like Milf, TPJ, Payne etc. can get back to even 75% of their best then we will be getting close to great.

Last year cannot be used as any sort of measuring stick due to the absolute hatchet job that Seibold took to the game plan and the players confidence.

I'll give you this, you're consistent. Consistently a miserable ****[emoji853]🤣

I definitely don't believe I've ever read a more pessimistic poster in decades. I would like to bet you that you're wrong but in fairness I'd have to give you some sort of odds.

Just make sure you admit it openly, loudly and often so you balance the ledger for the many times you've been the prophet of doom.

Should I be wrong, I'll unhappily admit I was wrong and you were right. I see them in the 8 but 8/9/10 will be a solid improvement.

I was the prophet of doom after round 5 this year and got the broncos at $23 to come last. So I did alright. Everyone said I was crazy.

I’m not a pessimist, I’m a realist. I think our players are self entitled and at least on paper, our squad has gone backwards for 2021, whilst most of the other bottom dwellers have improved.

our squad has gone backwards for 2021
Even if this is the case, we'll still be able to field a better team week to week unless we have another shocking year with regards to injuries. The health and fitness of our squad, especially the starters, will have more to do with where we end up rather than how good our squad looks on paper compared to last year.

Seriously though, which team will we beat this year? I honestly can’t see us coming anything other than last.
Many forget we came out of the gates beating two sides who would normally beat us before COVID. I don't know what happened to the training during covid but we where way off the pace in the return. A lot of negative media, and key injuries to players. Even in a few games we were ahead for 65min of the games, only to fall short.

If Kevvie can build some confidence in our Leaders who are flat, and resilience in our younger guys then we can push more teams than many would expect. Our defence was absolutely terrible last season. We have a semi decent roster I feel.

Isaako needs to be given confidence, allowed some time at flb to mature, he was earmakred for FLB last season before being stripped and told Bird would get it, then what do you know Bird injured and ohh your back at 1 mate! Then his issues with his personal life surely havent helped. I would love to see him focus more on hard returns like Hunt/RTS vs a more ball playing flb, Leave that to Milford who needs to roam, and lift this season.

Our forward pack 100% and fit can match if not better any, Haas (was over worked and tired), Carrigan more of a prop but carried the team last year, Pangai could be so damaging if his head is directed, (would love to see him in short stints and rotating through Edge, Glens edge). Lodge/Flegler one either starts or both come from the bench. The asiata brings more in attack for us.

Ricki showed potential and needs to be developed on that right edge with Dearden inside.

Our backs are concerning but if Staggs and Coates are kept it is a start. Copley bring experience, along with Meed. And Farnbsworth is all heart.

I feel we can shock a number of sides this year.

If Kevvie is a good coach, the side will do better than last year for sure but the coaching problem, while a LARGE part of the issue, wasn't the only issue last year. I love the assistances who have come on board, huge positives.

I also think losing Joffa will do a lot to help with accountability to be honest. He didn't want to leave, so to kick him out I think sends a good message to everyone else to step up or you are out too.

It is also a reason I would go with Macca in the side. I am one of his biggest critics but there is no way you could ever say he walked off a field without giving it everything he could, even if everything wasn't that great.

Talent is only one side of it all, you also need the guys to be dedicated to the cause. It is also why I am not against guys like Coates and Staggs being punted to reserve grade if they do decide to leave. Yes it is controversial and yes it might hurt in the short term but pride in the club jersey has totally gone, it needs to come back. Make the side a team that we supporters can be proud of again, regardless of results. I thought Gentle actually did alright in pointing the team in the right direction last year, he just had no cattle and some real idiots to work with.

This season, if there are less long-term injuries and ridiculous suspensions, the side has to do better as there will be better cattle available more often. I am not expecting much from the team but I do expect them to be competitive and show some semblance of pride in the jersey and evidence of structure, if I see that I will feel much more positive about the future...provided the board is not making financial decisions about future contracts. Yes, I am aware that is impossible, therefore see ya later board.

Last edited:
If Kevvie and his staff can build fitness, instil confidence, and improve concentration, I think there will be a massive improvement.
Hope you’re right and hope you’re referring to us long suffering supporters.

just on Haas, here is a quote from him about not playing 80 mins every week and I actually think it is smart.

"I've told Kevvie I don't want to play 80 minutes every game next year," Haas told NRL.com in October. "I think it will be better, I want it to be about quality over quantity."
This is something I myself said time and again and for a long while too. I was suggesting starting games with lesser lights and bringing Haas on after 15-20. Most seemed to think I had that wrong. Possibly they were right.

My idea is meeting and matching the opening salvos when the opposition is freshest. Stopping Haas just has to be easier for the opposition when they are fresh. I'd just want guys like Flegler and Carrigan etc to have the goal of holding the line in the first skirmishes.

I've long wanted Haas to play substantially reduced minutes and for the reasons he himself has stated. I also think Haas feels very underpaid and overworked and it's a festering sore.

just on Haas, here is a quote from him about not playing 80 mins every week and I actually think it is smart.

"I've told Kevvie I don't want to play 80 minutes every game next year," Haas told NRL.com in October. "I think it will be better, I want it to be about quality over quantity."
For some reason this just screams another thing another player was asking Seibold and he refused. It seemed Seibold just ignored everything the players asked and did it his way or the highway.

For some reason this just screams another thing another player was asking Seibold and he refused. It seemed Seibold just ignored everything the players asked and did it his way or the highway.
I was going to say the same thing. I can't imagine that this is the first time Payne has requested this.

Yeah leadership has been a big issue. I hate to say it but I think it could be Macca who plays a big part in this, which is why I think he needs to be somewhere in the 17.
Why? Simply because he is the "senior" player? **** that....we need to move forward, not rely on an average never was.

I hope McCullough is nowhere near the 17 tbh......

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Xzei
  • eggstar10
  • broncsgoat
  • Justwin
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • ezpz
  • davidp
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.