NEWS Walters Steps Down

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Walters Steps Down To Focus On Maroons

broncos.com.au

Kevin Walters has stood down from his role as Brisbane Broncos' assistant coach to focus solely on coaching the Queensland State of Origin team.

Walters met with Broncos CEO Paul White and Coach Wayne Bennett this morning to advise them of his decision, saying it was based on his own concerns over perceptions of impartiality in Queensland selections created by his role at the Broncos.

“Yesterday I attended the launch of the State of Origin Series in Melbourne and the level of interest at the media conference reinforced how privileged I am to be coach of a Maroons team which means so much to the people of Queensland,” said Walters.

“It also reinforced Origin’s immense standing in the game, and the importance of having a clear-minded approach to all aspects of the Queensland team’s preparations.

“I felt that my direct link to the Broncos may influence the perception of my impartiality and as result of these factors I have made the decision to step away from the club to focus solely on the State of Origin campaign.

“I wish everyone involved with the Broncos every success for the remainder of the 2018 season.”

Broncos Coach Wayne Bennett said he respected Walters’ decision and his honesty in making the Broncos’ aware of his position as soon as possible.

“I know personally the amount of work it takes to be a successful coach at Origin level and I can understand why Kevin has come to this decision,” said Bennett.

“It takes a huge commitment to coach Queensland and while we have really valued Kevin’s input this year as an assistant coach, we wish him all the best."

Brisbane Broncos CEO Paul White said the commitments that came with Walters’ dual roles as Broncos assistant coach and Queensland coach was always going to be a balancing act.

“Given Kevin’s attitude to his work, giving his total effort, it was always going to be a stretch doing both jobs but we were committed to giving it a go,” said White.

“He has done a really good job over the past six months and it has been great to have him back but now the season has commenced and Origin time has arrived, Kevin has made a tough decision. We understand and respect Kevin’s honesty in coming to us and being up front with his decision.

“The Queensland Rugby League are his principal employer and we wish him all the best as Queensland coach and in the future.”

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/04/04/walters-steps-down-to-focus-on-maroons/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't he meant to be our halves coach?

Maybe he was pushed...

Doesn't look good for Boyds origin chances for mine.

Remember when everyone was up in arms for Bennett sacking him so he could concentrate on origin?

So only now it’s become an issue lol wtf

Maybe he wasn’t.. This is exactly the thought process Buzz and Kent will follow though.

I mean, its not like he didnt know he was going to be the Origin coach this year when he took the role on. 4 games in without a shot fired from the halves and he jumps ship.

Him leaving isn't going to remove any perceived impartiality around the selecting of Broncos players seeing as though the selection panel are all ex broncos.

Wasn't he meant to be our halves coach?

Maybe he was pushed...

Doubt that he was pushed unless there is something really major going internally probably had second thoughts if anything(though it does raise issues of professionalism but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt), 2 wins from 4 games into the season isn't going to get you sacked or asked to leave unless you have a real poor record.

I'm getting a rats and sinking ship feeling...This is fucked

Or maybe he saw the writing on the wall and is jumping ship before our season really goes down the shitter.
Well he was supposed to be the saviour.

Maybe he realised he didn’t have it in him? Maybe Milford declined his services.Or maybe we are signing Paul Green? Or maybe Lockyer is coming in as halves coach? Who knows? Paul Kent, probably. Probably not though

Shouldn't of taken the job if he couldn't handle both. Nice of him to jump ship when we are elbow deap in the shit. Hope he didn't get paid much by the Broncos

Or maybe he saw the writing on the wall and is jumping ship before our season really goes down the shitter.
I think you're right there. I doubt Kevvie would have walked out if Milf, Niko and the Broncs were playing good footy.

Kevin Walters after realising Milford has no tries, try assists or line-break assists in the first month of the season:

giphy.gif

Well he was supposed to be the saviour.

Maybe he realised he didn’t have it in him? Maybe Milford declined his services.Or maybe we are signing Paul Green? Or maybe Lockyer is coming in as halves coach? Who knows? Paul Kent, probably. Probably not though

I'd be leaning towards Green being our number one choice to replace Wayne, so Kevvie is going to concentrate on Origin.

Wayne may also decide to put his own life first and finish a year early. He does have a new wife after all.

Active Now

• Brotherdu
  • Fozz
  • The Strapper
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncosgirl
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • BooKhaki
  • Browny
  • Dazza 92
  • Rambstien
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.