NEWS Walters Steps Down

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Yes, because picking a public fight (or admitting to one) with the coach of the biggest Qld club would be terrific for Queensland and its coach.

Not that I think there was any fighting, just disagreement on the path to follow. It's perfectly possible they agreed to disagree as gentlemen, which allowed Walters to part ways gracefully and concentrate on his job as Qld coach.
That almost but not quite says that Walter's deliberately lied. It infers that there was in fact a disagreement, something Walter's has publicly stated is not the case. By saying that there was no fight but disagreement you're hypothesisizing without any real evidence to support it. In fact there is real evidence to the contrary, Walter's public statements and WBs statements.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
That almost but not quite says that Walter's deliberately lied. It infers that there was in fact a disagreement, something Walter's has publicly stated is not the case. By saying that there was no fight but disagreement you're hypothesisizing without any real evidence to support it. In fact there is real evidence to the contrary, Walter's public statements and WBs statements.
First of all, I don't need evidence to speculate.
Second, people's public statements are not evidence, especially in a world where appearance and perception matter, and the media is out for blood.
There would be nothing to gain from anyone involved to admit to a disagreement. It would only send the vultures and hienas (Slothfields, Kents and co) into a frenzy, and further damage the club, which neither man wants.

If you think that anyone in those positions doesn't lie for the benefit of their club, players, colleagues, or themselves, you'd be extremely naive...

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
First of all, I don't need evidence to speculate.
Second, people's public statements are not evidence, especially in a world where appearance and perception matter, and the media is out for blood.
There would be nothing to gain from anyone involved to admit to a disagreement. It would only send the vultures and hienas (Slothfields, Kents and co) into a frenzy, and further damage the club, which neither man wants.

If you think that anyone in those positions doesn't lie for the benefit of their club, players, colleagues, or themselves, you'd be extremely naive...
First of all, evidence would be useful if you were going to speculate otherwise that speculation is highly likely to be deeply flawed ! I mean any musing that allows any random factor to have an influence, for example, Vladimir Putin is behind it all is essentially useless. Informed speculation with facts in evidence is more likely to produce reasonable conclusions.

Secondly, you clearly have no idea what evidence is ! The ONLY evidence you have to speculate with are public statements ! That's assuming you aren't part of the inner sanctum and have not been privy to the conversations between WB and Walters.

Lastly, I'm anything but naive and have 60 years of earthly existence to back that claim. Unlike you though Porthoz, I cannot know with any certainty that lies have been told and your speculation is the 'real truth'. The fact that media pundits would spin bullshit has no relation to the veracity of the public statements.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
First of all, evidence would be useful if you were going to speculate otherwise that speculation is highly likely to be deeply flawed ! I mean any musing that allows any random factor to have an influence, for example, Vladimir Putin is behind it all is essentially useless. Informed speculation with facts in evidence is more likely to produce reasonable conclusions.

Secondly, you clearly have no idea what evidence is ! The ONLY evidence you have to speculate with are public statements ! That's assuming you aren't part of the inner sanctum and have not been privy to the conversations between WB and Walters.

Lastly, I'm anything but naive and have 60 years of earthly existence to back that claim. Unlike you though Porthoz, I cannot know with any certainty that lies have been told and your speculation is the 'real truth'. The fact that media pundits would spin bullshit has no relation to the veracity of the public statements.
Speculation does not require evidence, which is why it's called... speculation. Speculation which I gave before the media pundits mind you.
I've given my reasons for it, and why they wouldn't publicly admit to it. You're entirely free to disagree.

I do not know with certainty that lies have been told in this case, nor have I at any point stated so. It is however, a possibility you cannot refute, no matter how much credence you want to attribute to statements given to the press, because you do not know with certainty that lies have not been told, unless you're part of the inner sanctum and have been privy to the conversations between WB and Walters.

I'm perfectly comfortable with my understanding of evidence, you know, having studied sciences, and even having a few diplomas to back it up.
I know it doesn't measure up to your 60 years of earthly existence of course... :superhappythumbsup:

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Speculation does not require evidence, which is why it's called... speculation. Speculation which I gave before the media pundits mind you.
I've given my reasons for it, and why they wouldn't publicly admit to it. You're entirely free to disagree.

I do not know with certainty that lies have been told in this case, nor have I at any point stated so. It is however, a possibility you cannot refute, no matter how much credence you want to attribute to statements given to the press, because you do not know with certainty that lies have not been told, unless you're part of the inner sanctum and have been privy to the conversations between WB and Walters.

I'm perfectly comfortable with my understanding of evidence, you know, having studied sciences, and even having a few diplomas to back it up.
I know it doesn't measure up to your 60 years of earthly existence of course... :superhappythumbsup:
Gee, you'd think having a few diplomas would help in understanding that statements were in fact evidence but apparently you were asleep during those lectures ! You did write that statements weren't evidence. My reference to 60 years was about naivety and not in relation to what constitutes evidence.

There's speculation and informed speculation and one is clearly of greater value. I do wonder why you find it necessary to offer up your reasoning when defending your uninformed speculation. Of course I suppose you could just say you made a mistake when stating that statements weren't evidence when of course any person who has studied some of the sciences would admit they are indeed a form of evidence.

I see no reason to call either man a liar, indirectly or outright.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
In this thread we've had claim after claim that there was something sinister behind Walters departure and Walter's himself has now put those claims to the sword. He plainly and openly stated that he hadn't fallen out with WB, he wasn't asked to leave, he wasn't blocked in his role as assistant coach, his reasons are unchanged and clearly his communication with WB is and was fine.

So who on here wants to call Walter's a liar ?

Better still, who wants to put their hand up and admit they jumped the gun ?

People here are 100% certain that Wayne wouldn't publicly slam his players to keep things in house. So wouldn't it be normal for Walters, with respect for Wayne and Media PR training, do the same? Smoke and mirrors.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Just a theory here in hindsight....

Did walters possibly know smith was about to retire from origin and realise it was going to be a fulltime job? As well as forecasting his broncos allegiances be potrayed as favourtism in regards to picking mcculough at hooker?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Just a theory here in hindsight....

Did walters possibly know smith was about to retire from origin and realise it was going to be a fulltime job? As well as forecasting his broncos allegiances be potrayed as favourtism in regards to picking mcculough at hooker?

No and no.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
I think it was more a case of Boyd not being in the plan and didn't want to make things awkward at training. Now with Smith retired that may change because he wants as much experience there as possible.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
If Walters did drop Boyd from the QLD squad and the reason why he walked away is because of the awkwardness at training after making the call, then he just isn't the man for the head coach role when Bennett retires.

He'll have to make some tough calls and if he can't handle facing the players afterwards, then that's a problem.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
If Walters did drop Boyd from the QLD squad and the reason why he walked away is because of the awkwardness at training after making the call, then he just isn't the man for the head coach role when Bennett retires.

He'll have to make some tough calls and if he can't handle facing the players afterwards, then that's a problem.
If that was the case, I don't think the problem would be facing the players...

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008

Disagree, it's a smart move imo. Disassociate yourself.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
So if he is head coach he just disassociates himself after making a tough call?

I'd like to think if he was head coach of the Broncos it would be different. That said, I don't believe that's the reason he left anyway

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Well he dropped Oates and Thaiday last series and faced them for broncos pre season.

I reckon it was more a clash of styles between himself and bennett.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • theshed
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • davidp
  • Midean
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behold
  • HarryAllan7
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Ondi
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.