NEWS Walters Steps Down

That's a terrible list to make your point! All bar Lockyer were premiership winning and or rep players before Bennett.

The statement was ‘he doesn’t know what a halfback’ not ‘hasn’t developed a halfback’

Maybe take some of your own advice mate.

I could be mistaken, but only one of those was a halfback... Alf also was an instinctive player, not a systematic halfback like Cronk or other modern examples. Maybe whoever said it was onto something...

Kevin Walters was a halfback manufactured into a 5/8th, infact in Alfie's absence it wasn't uncommon for him to slip back there and even in Lockyer's early games they played together in the halves. As far as Alf goes yes he was an instinct player, but he possessed the skill-set that many playmaking halves have and worked on fine-tuning areas that needed improving. One both Alfie and Lockyer showed at the backend of their career is that even when their running game declined compared to their peaks, they still had a lot to offer in other areas that side could benefit.

Last edited:
I think it would be fair to say as criticism that Bennett and the club in general has struggled to keep and develop suitable halfback or 5/8th options for a long period, that isn't to say they have all been duds, some had at least semi decent careers elsewhere, Ben Walker, Brett Seymour are good examples, Norman has done well at the Eels, Taylor and Hunt's future is still yet to be seen in entirety.

Last edited:
I could be mistaken, but only one of those was a halfback... Alf also was an instinctive player, not a systematic halfback like Cronk or other modern examples. Maybe whoever said it was onto something...

you are mistaken ... one of those players was halfback during our 2000 premiership. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Alfie

Allan Langer
Kevin Walters
Wally Lewis
Darren lockyer

Yep, clearly has no clue....

Mate only one of those was a halfback...

Walters played it at end of his career but was primarily a 5/8 like Lewis and Lockyer.

Also WB won two last premierships without star halfbacks (Perry and Hornby), maybe we need a Scarlett to be Perry 2.0, if only Milf deserved to carry Locky’s boots...

Walters played it at end of his career but was primarily a 5/8 like Lewis and Lockyer.

Also WB won two last premierships without star halfbacks (Perry and Hornby), maybe we need a Scarlett to be Perry 2.0, if only Milf deserved to carry Locky’s boots...

Milf ain't no locky.... and saints was all wayne imo

Scarlett/Murphy aren’t quite NRL standard hence why they aren’t being used.

Perry was. Always was a level above Q-Cup standard. He was the puppeteer of that Redcliffe team for a number of years and really dominated. Deserved a crack and never let anyone down. Didn’t overplay his hand and came away with a premiership ring.

perry is somewhat under-rated. He played in the shadown of alf and walters and thats a hard act to follow, nevermind that he didn't have a hope in hell of not being overwhelmed as a player in the same team as lockyer. He was decent, but not great. I'd take that right now.
What we need is to follow a plan and have a player capable of carrying out a plan B if A doesn't work. We don't, hence our problems.

Scarlett/Murphy aren’t quite NRL standard hence why they aren’t being used.

Perry was. Always was a level above Q-Cup standard. He was the puppeteer of that Redcliffe team for a number of years and really dominated. Deserved a crack and never let anyone down. Didn’t overplay his hand and came away with a premiership ring.

I would never publicly admit this because it's like saying you don't mind Manly or Man U but I liked that Redcliffe side. Roberts, Perry, Leis, Bourke, Lindsay and even Barba such a great side to watch.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/04/10...broncos-wayne-bennett-apology-sledge-the-mole

Walters to axe Boyd from Maroons

There are many reasons Kevin Walters quit the Broncos - including a rift with Bennett.
But another of the major factors behind the move is the situation with Bennett’s ‘golden boy’ Darius Boyd.
Walters, the Queensland coach, is almost certain to drop Broncos fullback Boyd from the Maroons State of Origin team in a few weeks.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/04/10...broncos-wayne-bennett-apology-sledge-the-mole

Walters to axe Boyd from Maroons

There are many reasons Kevin Walters quit the Broncos - including a rift with Bennett.
But another of the major factors behind the move is the situation with Bennett’s ‘golden boy’ Darius Boyd.
Walters, the Queensland coach, is almost certain to drop Broncos fullback Boyd from the Maroons State of Origin team in a few weeks.

if that's coming from the mole, then Boyd is a certainty for origin

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • marw
  • kiwibronco
  • Fozz
  • Rambstien
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.