NEWS Walters Steps Down

He looked like a man under pressure last week pre game on fox.
They asked him what was expected from MILF during the game and he was pretty specific "Run" was his response and he reiterated it. MILF didnt offer a yelp.
What is curios to me is that KW was pretty much universally credited with how the 1/2's went in 2015, was absent from the team for the next 18 months, almost like WB didn't want him there, stated last year that he would go back and help the 1/2's if he was asked but hadn't been.
Would be interesting to find out the real circumstances surrounding his inclusion this year, was he asked? did he force the issue claiming to be the saviour????
The halves this year are non functioning and I'll bet WB has said you've had your chance now piss off.

I don't think Paul Green really wants to leave the Cowboys. I don't think the Cowboys really want to lose Paul Green.

It's just gamesmanship with the Broncos caught in the middle.

Bellamy has been saying for a decade that the next contract he signs will be his last. Just add a couple of zeroes to his next contract extension and he'll remain at the Storm.

Post-Bennett I don't think we should go with one of his assistants - whoever that may be.

Any takers for Des Hasler? A fresh start up north could be just the tonic for both club and coach.

Another possibility is that he's not being allowed to have any real input. Demetriou is attacking coach so maybe over-calling some of his ideas?

Demetriou is the defence coach this yr while Kevvie was the attack coach.

This is getting off topic, not just yourself but i keep seeing other post this kinda idea and its grinding on me. Its not a personal attack on you.

Niko has hardly stunk it up?! Even Milf has stunk it up. They are halves...their job is to organise and steer. Their job is to plan and attack. They've done none of that. They should be barking at the forwards along with the captain. This direction, that direction, short side, open side, run towards X player, kick down past X player, kick in the air to X player, i want space here, i want space there, run opposite side here, inside there, run wide here, give protection to kick in 2 tackles etc etc.

Forwards typically aren't thinkers....they run to direction from the halves, their responsibility is go forward to the strategy of the havles. If they don't know what the halves want - we get what we've been getting. Forwards will be stuck at 5/8 on the 5th, forwards will be stuck taking single out hitups on the 4th, stuck kicking on the last, they will run to no set direction, players wont be targeted and field position wont be made for an ideal kick to end the set.

So all our halves have to do then is yell don't drop the fucking ball. All good .

Listening to Gordie in the prematch show tonight I feel more confident that the reasoning was genuine. If there was a rift he would have had a dig but he said it was all genuine and had spoken to kevie

Listening to Gordie in the prematch show tonight I feel more confident that the reasoning was genuine. If there was a rift he would have had a dig but he said it was all genuine and had spoken to kevie

I'm sure Kevvie is smart enough to know that Tallis is a media man.

Fair point but if there was a rift what better way to let loose than through Gordie

Why would he? He's never once come across as the type of person who would play games like that. If there is a rift, I have no doubt they both sorted it like men, and went their separate ways. I doubt Paul White was there keeping them apart.

Isn't that your captain's job to correct?

I'd say that's actually down to the individual player to correct. You can advise people and encourage them to do the right things, but sometimes it just doesn't happen because they dont take anything on board.

If it was as easy as getting a captain. Or coach to correct things, Dave Taylor would be on his way to being an immortal.

I don't think Paul Green really wants to leave the Cowboys. I don't think the Cowboys really want to lose Paul Green.

It's just gamesmanship with the Broncos caught in the middle.

Bellamy has been saying for a decade that the next contract he signs will be his last. Just add a couple of zeroes to his next contract extension and he'll remain at the Storm.

Post-Bennett I don't think we should go with one of his assistants - whoever that may be.

Any takers for Des Hasler? A fresh start up north could be just the tonic for both club and coach.

**** no !!

Maroons coach Kevin Walters denies rift with Wayne Bennett in the wake of Broncos exit

NTQyMDE4MTJ8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvYWE0MDI2ZTY1YTE1ZGQ3OGNhYjViYzE1ODI5NWRlYTh8NTQyMDE4MTI=

QUEENSLAND coach Kevin Walters has vehemently denied that a rift between he and Wayne Bennett drove his decision to stand down as a Broncos assistant, insisting the pair have always maintained a good relationship.

Walters’ shock decision to step down from the role he only resumed six months ago sent shockwaves throughout the NRL, coming on the same day that Cowboys coach Paul Green had reportedly been issued an ultimatum by the club.

Former Bronco and Cowboy legend Brent Tate told foxsports.com.au in February that Green was one of very few coaches capable of succeeding Bennett at the Broncos and Walters’ departure and Green’s reluctance to commit to the Cowboys is leaving that door ajar.

Walters had left Bennett’s coaching staff at the Broncos twice previously prior to Wednesday but told Triple M Brisbane’s Robyn, Marto and The Moonman that the suggestion that he and the master coach had fallen out were way off the mark.
“It’s totally wrong saying that Wayne and I have had a blow-up or anything like that,” Walters said.
“That’s certainly not the case. We’ve always had a good relationship regardless of what anyone says in the papers or through the media channels.
“Wayne has been nothing but supportive of me coming back into there and trying to get the Broncos going.
“I just want to throw that rubbish out and get the real facts out there about why I actually am moving on.
“I can assure everyone that there is no rift between Wayne Bennett and I.
“He’s been really good to me, as have the club in coming back there.”

A legend of the club having won five premierships with the Broncos, by coming back into the fold many saw Walters as the one being groomed to take over from Bennett when his contract expires at the end of the 2019 season.
That now seems unlikely and former Manly and Maroons hooker Matt Ballin has no doubt the 2018 Broncos will miss his presence for the remainder of the season.
“Kevvie’s going to be a massive loss,” Ballin said on Fox Sports News.
“He’s obviously shown he’s a great coach at Origin level and with the Storm as well at club level and I think he’ll be missed at the Broncos.
“Wayne’s a very calculated coach and man so he’ll just take his time and work out what is best for the Broncos.
“I know they’ve got a myriad of other coaches. They’ve got Corey Parker working with the forwards, Allan Langer is in the background… They’ve got so many quality players that are involved with the club that I’m sure over time can step up and fill the void left by Kevvie Walters.”

The opening game of the 2018 Origin series is now just 62 days away and Walters said it was that realisation while on a promotional trip to Melbourne on Tuesday that instigated a meeting with Bennett and Broncos CEO Paul White on Wednesday morning.
“I just felt like I needed to give the Origin my full attention,” Walters said.
“I went in and saw Wayne yesterday morning after coming back from Melbourne on Tuesday, and Paul White.
“It was an open discussion between us all and there was no arguing. I suggested that it should be time for me to move on and get my head around Origin.
“I just felt that in the current situation with what I was doing, some people may see me as being a little bit biased towards the Broncos and that’s certainly not the case.
“It’s 62 sleeps until Origin and I just want to make sure that I get that right.
“I love the Broncos, I love the club and what they’re doing, I want to see them be successful and also my real passion is the Maroons and coaching Queensland.
“We’ve had two good years and this year is going to be a difficult one with no (Johnathan) Thurston and no Cooper Cronk for starters without going through the other injuries that may come up.
“We’ve just got to make sure that we get that right and I want to make sure I get that right personally.”

Source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/3dc9bb731f88b23d3f48e3184b124dba

We have a big pack (if we pick the right blokes) who can offload, especially TPJ and Lodge. We have to get a roll on, complete well, and let Niko and Milf sniff around for second phase play: we can't do your traditional Melbourne-esque grind with an A+ grade kicking game. It's easier to teach McGuire to offload than it is to try and get Niko to control a game like Cronk or even Hoko.

Maybe Bird into 2rf is a good idea, it's not like his defence would be worse than Glenn's, and he will touch the ball more. Opacic's D has been excellent as well, as has his commitment.

EDIT: not saying that Glenn's D is 'bad', but Bird will be able to defend as well as him at 2rf given his experience defending in the centres.

So basically what you're saying is if the pack starts offloading then Niko and Milf will win us games? With the exception of the second half against the Cows our pack hasn't look remotely like getting a roll on or dominating. To me it looks like a lack of commitment and attitude rather than simply a case of not offloading. While I think completing sets is certainly part of the solution, relying on TPJ and Lodge to offload us to victory seems odd when there's so other obvious areas to address.

As for Bird, I have seen shouts around here for him to play lock, fullback, 5/8 and now 2rf. He's played all of 2 games for the club and already people are looking at him to fix issues in other positions. I think keep him at the position he's best in at least until he's comfortable with the combinations around him.

The problem with the offloads is that neither Niko or Milford seem interested in playing a support role looking for them. They mostly camp out on their edges and only want to get the ball after a tackle is made.

Allan Langer
Kevin Walters
Wally Lewis
Darren lockyer

Yep, clearly has no clue....

That's a terrible list to make your point! All bar Lockyer were premiership winning and or rep players before Bennett.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Santa
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.