Maroons coach Kevin Walters denies rift with Wayne Bennett in the wake of Broncos exit
QUEENSLAND coach Kevin Walters has vehemently denied that a rift between he and Wayne Bennett drove his decision to stand down as a Broncos assistant, insisting the pair have always maintained a good relationship.
Walters’ shock decision to step down from the role he only resumed six months ago sent shockwaves throughout the NRL, coming on the same day that Cowboys coach Paul Green had reportedly been issued an ultimatum by the club.
Former Bronco and Cowboy legend Brent Tate told foxsports.com.au in February
that Green was one of very few coaches capable of succeeding Bennett at the Broncos and Walters’ departure and Green’s reluctance to commit to the Cowboys is leaving that door ajar.
Walters had left Bennett’s coaching staff at the Broncos twice previously prior to Wednesday but told Triple M Brisbane’s
Robyn, Marto and The Moonman that the suggestion that he and the master coach had fallen out were way off the mark.
“It’s totally wrong saying that Wayne and I have had a blow-up or anything like that,” Walters said.
“That’s certainly not the case. We’ve always had a good relationship regardless of what anyone says in the papers or through the media channels.
“Wayne has been nothing but supportive of me coming back into there and trying to get the Broncos going.
“I just want to throw that rubbish out and get the real facts out there about why I actually am moving on.
“I can assure everyone that there is no rift between Wayne Bennett and I.
“He’s been really good to me, as have the club in coming back there.”
A legend of the club having won five premierships with the Broncos, by coming back into the fold many saw Walters as the one being groomed to take over from Bennett when his contract expires at the end of the 2019 season.
That now seems unlikely and former Manly and Maroons hooker Matt Ballin has no doubt the 2018 Broncos will miss his presence for the remainder of the season.
“Kevvie’s going to be a massive loss,” Ballin said on
Fox Sports News.
“He’s obviously shown he’s a great coach at Origin level and with the Storm as well at club level and I think he’ll be missed at the Broncos.
“Wayne’s a very calculated coach and man so he’ll just take his time and work out what is best for the Broncos.
“I know they’ve got a myriad of other coaches. They’ve got Corey Parker working with the forwards, Allan Langer is in the background… They’ve got so many quality players that are involved with the club that I’m sure over time can step up and fill the void left by Kevvie Walters.”
The opening game of the 2018 Origin series is now just 62 days away and Walters said it was that realisation while on a promotional trip to Melbourne on Tuesday that instigated a meeting with Bennett and Broncos CEO Paul White on Wednesday morning.
“I just felt like I needed to give the Origin my full attention,” Walters said.
“I went in and saw Wayne yesterday morning after coming back from Melbourne on Tuesday, and Paul White.
“It was an open discussion between us all and there was no arguing. I suggested that it should be time for me to move on and get my head around Origin.
“I just felt that in the current situation with what I was doing, some people may see me as being a little bit biased towards the Broncos and that’s certainly not the case.
“It’s 62 sleeps until Origin and I just want to make sure that I get that right.
“I love the Broncos, I love the club and what they’re doing, I want to see them be successful and also my real passion is the Maroons and coaching Queensland.
“We’ve had two good years and this year is going to be a difficult one with no (Johnathan) Thurston and no Cooper Cronk for starters without going through the other injuries that may come up.
“We’ve just got to make sure that we get that right and I want to make sure I get that right personally.”
Source:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/3dc9bb731f88b23d3f48e3184b124dba