MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Benny Rabbit - the Redfern bunny. Good luck Souths - he is an old dog and this is a new trick.
I think the Broncos need some good luck wishes as well. It is a massive gamble appointing this novice from Rocky.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
I think the Broncos need some good luck wishes as well. It is a massive gamble appointing this novice from Rocky.

He might bring a 'Reggie Rabbit' foot with him..........:afro:

*Edit*
Lame....yes....I know.......

Last edited:
Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

It wouldn't have mattered who they went with, it was going to be a novice, and it was pretty likely they would be from somewhere in QLD.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Hindsight is always 20/20. They’ve done the right thing long term on the evidence before them. There’s an argument that Seibold was the best choice out of the three (the jury’s still out on Bellamy without Smith, and I just don’t think Green is a good coach).

Wayne has 2-3 years left and could retire immediately if he wins a comp.

At his age, Wayne could wake up any morning feel like retiring.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

I know, and to think we overlooked the vast head coaching experience of JD and Kevvie.

Purple Pills

Purple Pills

NRL Player
Jul 13, 2017
If Seibold fails, White and the board need to go.
Harsh, but its the reality of the whole situation.
They failed to land Bellamy and Green (whether true or not) but the fact is if we do not win a premiership under AS and soon, then I believe that the old boys need to rally together and take care of the club.
Chuck in the possibility a few our our established players may leave because WB is gone, then this club will have a fair bit of egg on their face.
Then I dare say that we would see Walters as coach.

I am all for Seibs, and I genuinely think he is our best option moving forward, but we have had no success in 12yrs, and this club is suppose to be one of the highest profile sports clubs in Australia.
As a club, it demands success, as a city it demands success and as a brand it demands success - lets hope we see it.

The way I see it, no given club has the right to win the title as they see fit whether your a big club or not. At the end of the day yes it has been 12 years but we are against 15 other clubs who bust their ass for 10 months of the year for the same prize and every squad is full of professional footballers one way or another. If we make one better decision in defense in 2015, this conversation isn’t even happening.

We have better amenities, resources and advantages than most other teams, at the end of the day though the simple facts are this. Everyone has to abide by a salary cap (even allowing leeway for TPA’s) so it’s not like we are Manchester City and can buy whoever we want when we want. No matter how good or big your new your gym is, everyone is lifting the same weights and running the same km’s on the treadmills, etc. Hasler won 2 comps with the facilities he had to deal with.

What I will agree with though is with these advantages and resources we definitely shouldn’t be finishing outside the top 8. As long as we are challenging every year that’s all we can demand as fans because we all know injuries and luck also play a big luck on how you progress during the finals.

We need to give Seibold a decent chance, at the end of the day the last thing this club needs is an old boys club running he club and the squad remaining in their comfort zone which probably happens under Kevvy and the board probably realise this. Darren Lockyer was a part of the decision to appoint Seibold and he played with and loves Kevvie but unlike the other club legends, Locky didn’t make his decision based on sentiment. We all know Locky had a great football brain and I dare say the board probably believe Kevvy is too close to the current squad to make the harsh decisions that need to be made. He will head coach in time.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Merrin would make sense, considering Bennett tried to get him here when he came back to Brisbane.

S

Seibs

NYC Player
Oct 29, 2018
Let's hope Merrin to the Bunnies happens. Surely if Merrin, and the 3 brothers Burgess are at Souths they won't go as hard at TPJ. That would be a lot of money tied up in middle forwards.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
This sort of thing is why I think the Seibold swap needs to happen. Bennett sourcing shit out for Souths rather than focusing on us etc.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
This sort of thing is why I think the Seibold swap needs to happen. Bennett sourcing shit out for Souths rather than focusing on us etc.

Seibs will be doing the same thing for us

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
I was in favour of signing Merrin when Bennett came back, but’s he’s fucking SHOCKING now. This pretty much guarantees that Wayne will play SB in the second row, maybe retire Sutton. He still needs to fit Murray in unless he intends on playing him at 2rf. Either way, SB and Murray are better players up the middle, so signing fat has beens like Merrin isn’t what Souths need.

Active Now

• Galah
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Big Del
  • Morkel
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Mister Wright
  • Aldo
  • Fatboy
  • Old Mate
  • BooKhaki
  • Waynesaurus
  • Redfern_1980
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • Mr Fourex
  • GCBRONCO
  • Lurker
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.