MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
This sort of thing is why I think the Seibold swap needs to happen. Bennett sourcing shit out for Souths rather than focusing on us etc.
It is totally farcical if the swap doesn't happen before 2019. But nobody does farce better than Rugby League. I for one, would love to have Bennett for one more year as it may produce something special. It will be Seibold who will be affected most by having to wait till 2020 as his weaknesses (if any) might be exposed in 2019. He took his team to a GFQ in 2018, the next logical progression is a GF berth. Anything less than that is a failure.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Heard on the radio Souths officials are heading over to the UK to talk to WB about his needs for 2020. You'd think a simple email would do that, after all he signed his contract that way. Wonder if the old codger is being stubborn and they're trying to talk him into 2019.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
Exactly why this swap has to happen now, not to mention he potentially getting in our boys ears over the next 12m.
I genuinely believe WB would be happy to leave now, he is just playing his hand to collect 2 pay packets, and hats off to him if he gets it..
The 500k number that is getting thrown around is nothing - if he convinces a few of our young blokes to follow him in 2020 that will cost us much more then 500k.

Just get it down now, this cannot continue for another 12 months.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
This sort of thing is why I think the Seibold swap needs to happen. Bennett sourcing shit out for Souths rather than focusing on us etc.

Yep, exactly. He has checked out as far as we are concerned.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Wayne Bennett reportedly busted recruiting for South Sydney
NOVEMBER 1, 2018 1:30PM
Seibold set for 2020 start
news.com.au
WAYNE Bennett has reportedly been sprung already recruiting players for South Sydney.
The veteran coach has previously ruled out leaving the Broncos before his contract expires at the end of the 2019 season, but reports on Thursday claim he has already been pulling his sleeves up for South Sydney.
The Australian’s Brent Read tweeted on Thursday the Rabbitohs have reached out to Merrin under the instruction of Bennett.
It was reported last week Penrith was prepared to grant Merrin a release from his contract before the start of the 2019 NRL season following reports Leeds Rhinos had offered a rich four-year deal.
However, Merrin's future has been left clouded by the interest from South Sydney.
According to reports, the Bunnies’ play for Merrin is for him to join the club immediately.
Bennett, however, is not contracted to join South Sydney until the end of the 2019 season when his two-year deal begins.
His position at Brisbane would be left completely untenable if it is confirmed he has already been scouting for South Sydney with a full season left on his Brisbane contract.
It is widely expected that Brisbane and South Sydney will come to an agreement to swap their head coaches before the start of pre-season training in coming weeks.
Trent Merrin earned his first State of Origin jumper under the tutelage of Wayne Bennett at the Dragons.
However, reports claim the hurdle remains Bennett’s demand to be paid out the full value of his coaching contract with the Broncos.
Brisbane on Wednesday finally confirmed South Sydney mentor Seibold would be their new coach in 2020.
Bennett said he had not ruled out the Brisbane board asking him to leave 12 months early after falling out with Broncos chief executive Paul White this year over the club’s coaching transition.
It is believed a 2019 swap has stalled, with Brisbane reportedly baulking at paying South Sydney up to $500,000 to allow Seibold to take over the Broncos reins next year.
There were fears Bennett may influence Broncos players such as Tevita Pangai, James Roberts and Matt Lodge to leave for South Sydney with him in 2020 if he stayed on as Brisbane coach next year.
“It’s a strange one if they stay at their clubs next year but I don’t think it will make a difference,” Broncos great Willie Carne said.
“And I think the Broncos will get behind Anthony when he is here. For Wayne, South Sydney looks like the next challenge he needs.”
Seibold’s four-year contract with Brisbane also only begins in 2020.
— with AAP

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
Wayne Bennett reportedly busted recruiting for South Sydney
NOVEMBER 1, 2018 1:30PM
Seibold set for 2020 start
news.com.au
WAYNE Bennett has reportedly been sprung already recruiting players for South Sydney.
The veteran coach has previously ruled out leaving the Broncos before his contract expires at the end of the 2019 season, but reports on Thursday claim he has already been pulling his sleeves up for South Sydney.
The Australian’s Brent Read tweeted on Thursday the Rabbitohs have reached out to Merrin under the instruction of Bennett.
It was reported last week Penrith was prepared to grant Merrin a release from his contract before the start of the 2019 NRL season following reports Leeds Rhinos had offered a rich four-year deal.
However, Merrin's future has been left clouded by the interest from South Sydney.
According to reports, the Bunnies’ play for Merrin is for him to join the club immediately.
Bennett, however, is not contracted to join South Sydney until the end of the 2019 season when his two-year deal begins.
His position at Brisbane would be left completely untenable if it is confirmed he has already been scouting for South Sydney with a full season left on his Brisbane contract.
It is widely expected that Brisbane and South Sydney will come to an agreement to swap their head coaches before the start of pre-season training in coming weeks.
Trent Merrin earned his first State of Origin jumper under the tutelage of Wayne Bennett at the Dragons.
However, reports claim the hurdle remains Bennett’s demand to be paid out the full value of his coaching contract with the Broncos.
Brisbane on Wednesday finally confirmed South Sydney mentor Seibold would be their new coach in 2020.
Bennett said he had not ruled out the Brisbane board asking him to leave 12 months early after falling out with Broncos chief executive Paul White this year over the club’s coaching transition.
It is believed a 2019 swap has stalled, with Brisbane reportedly baulking at paying South Sydney up to $500,000 to allow Seibold to take over the Broncos reins next year.
There were fears Bennett may influence Broncos players such as Tevita Pangai, James Roberts and Matt Lodge to leave for South Sydney with him in 2020 if he stayed on as Brisbane coach next year.
“It’s a strange one if they stay at their clubs next year but I don’t think it will make a difference,” Broncos great Willie Carne said.
“And I think the Broncos will get behind Anthony when he is here. For Wayne, South Sydney looks like the next challenge he needs.”
Seibold’s four-year contract with Brisbane also only begins in 2020.
— with AAP
If this story is true, and thats a big if. Then Broncs could sack Bennett for being in breach of contract without any compo.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I wonder who’ll be the first poster here to savage Bennett lol. So far everyone’s playing nice out of respect but I can feel emotions are starting to simmer.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I wonder who’ll be the first poster here to savage Bennett lol. So far everyone’s playing nice out of respect but I can feel emotions are starting to simmer.

It'll really blow up if by Round 4 or so it's clear we're in for a rough year.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I would hope a contract would indicate he worked exclusively for the Broncos.
Exactly he's being paid as coach of the Broncos not Broncos and also rabbits... it's a pretty easy case to make if he's caught out actually doing it

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
It'll really blow up if by Round 4 or so it's clear we're in for a rough year.

Remember how he banished Hodges when hodgo signed with the roosters... should we be winless by round 4 then Wayne should stand down.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Probably the same people who have been doing it for the last five years

Unread

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • BruiserMk1
  • GCBRONCO
  • Behind enemy lines
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • kiwibronco
  • Morkel
  • the_next
  • Culhwch
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.