MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Who’s willing to offer odds on the switch happening for the 2019 season? I think it’s looking more and more likely everyday. As much as I agree that Wayne deserves to see out his contract at Brisbane and he 100% deserves a chance to win one last premiership with us I think it’s definitely in everyone’s best interest that the swap happens ASAP.

Think about the amount of uncertainty around the club this year with players and staff not knowing their future for next season. Guys not knowing if they’ll be chosen in the position they’ve played the last 5 years or even if the new coach wants to retain them or let them go. I think it’s best for each respective coach to go to their new teams so everyone knows where they stand moving forward and can 100% concentrate on their jobs. No uncertainitg no bull@#$ get down to business.
I Agree. I honestly think there should be a transfer period(s) for players, and even coaching staff. Players can be moved Nov 1-Feb 1 and June 1 - June 30 and coaches can be moved October 10 - Feb 1 unless they were terminated by their current club / were not currently coaching an NRL team. Obviously for a player or coach to be moved it needs to be approved by the clubs and the players, but still. Would be a whole lot better and provide consistency. This way you don't get the crap that happened at the panthers, the weird situation the Broncos and Rabbitohs are in now, and the situation we had in 2017 where Ben Hunt played for us the entire season having already signed with the Dragons for 2018.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Who’s willing to offer odds on the switch happening for the 2019 season? I think it’s looking more and more likely everyday. As much as I agree that Wayne deserves to see out his contract at Brisbane and he 100% deserves a chance to win one last premiership with us I think it’s definitely in everyone’s best interest that the swap happens ASAP.

Think about the amount of uncertainty around the club this year with players and staff not knowing their future for next season. Guys not knowing if they’ll be chosen in the position they’ve played the last 5 years or even if the new coach wants to retain them or let them go. I think it’s best for each respective coach to go to their new teams so everyone knows where they stand moving forward and can 100% concentrate on their jobs. No uncertainitg no bull@#$ get down to business.

They’d want to sort it out soon. When’s preseason start because I don’t think Wayne will show up at this rate.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I think people are over hyping the Merrin thing.
It's literally a phone call, while he's on break, saying look at signing this guy. The club isn't going to allow him to make recruitment decisions for us in his final year so it's not like he'd be able to recruit for us anyway.

Saying player = good = sign him, is hardly going to take his focus away from preparing the team, that's a bit ridiculous. He'd have to be keeping an eye out on all players as a coach regardless, it's not like he'd have to go out of his way and do extra work on the side, it's literally just offering an opinion that he has already formed.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
I think people are over hyping the Merrin thing.
It's literally a phone call, while he's on break, saying look at signing this guy. The club isn't going to allow him to make recruitment decisions for us in his final year so it's not like he'd be able to recruit for us anyway.

Saying player = good = sign him, is hardly going to take his focus away from preparing the team, that's a bit ridiculous. He'd have to be keeping an eye out on all players as a coach regardless, it's not like he'd have to go out of his way and do extra work on the side, it's literally just offering an opinion that he has already formed.
Understand Merrin has knocked back Souths and intends taking up offer at Leeds anyway. For what it’s worth.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I think you're being a little bit precious. If Wayne had his way, he'd be planning for 2020 and his last season as a coach for us. He's hardly started working for South's already. In other industries you may not be able to work for your future employer but you sure as shit can make plans for the future.

I'm not being precious at all, it doesn't matter whether he got his way or not. He didn't get it but he is currently contracted for this year so he should only be doing work for us.

I don't give a **** if in his downtime he is thinking about who want's to recruit when he starts there, but he can wait until then.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
I'm not being precious at all, it doesn't matter whether he got his way or not. He didn't get it but he is currently contracted for this year so he should only be doing work for us.

I don't give a **** if in his downtime he is thinking about who want's to recruit when he starts there, but he can wait until then.

Agreed. He can plan all he wants in his head but the second he talks to or about anything to do with Souths, that should be enough to say off you go. Because he’s not focused solely on our team. I mean he’s prepping his future, and you can’t begrudge him that from that perspective, but it’s not like he’s coaching ESL or changing professions. It’s a direct competitor in the same competition/market

Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017
I agree that if it was jus too a simple 2 second phone call suggesting that Merrin might be a good fit for the team then it’s probably pretty harmless. But it just proves if it’s true that his mind is looking towards 2020 already which isn’t suggesting he isn’t putting 100% of his efforts into Brisbane but his Mind is now thinking about the English team, the broncos and the rabbits.

Just think about it, Wayne is going to want to know who’s been re-signed by Souths and how much each player is been signed for in addition to looking at the free player market to get an idea of who he might want to join Souths next year rather then doing everything possible to get Brisbane a quality halfback. Let’s be honest if a gun player comes on the market for 2020 that Souths and the broncos would love to have who is Wayne going to sign him for? The club he won’t be be coaching next year or thr club he will be coaching?

I’m not meaning any disrespect at all to Wayne and again I would love to see him see out his contract here with a premireship but it’s only natural for a bloke to be looking after his best interests for the future. In fact it would be dumb of Wayne not to try and organise the squad he’s going to be coaching in 2020 which is why I think the swap has to happen this season to let them both own their teams now and not in 12 months.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
A FURIOUS Wayne Bennett has slammed suggestions he is acting as a double agent by attempting to recruit Trent Merrin for South Sydney while still working for the Broncos.
The super coach was on Friday buffeted by explosive allegations he was in secret talks with Merrin to deliver the Penrith forward to the Rabbitohs, whom Bennett will join on a two-year deal from 2020.
But Bennett has set the record straight, vehemently denying he is attempting to actively recruit players for his future employer Souths while still being paid a $900,000 salary by the Broncos.
cc6cc4c03cbfa28613699310d724e4e3

Wayne Bennett was furious at allegations he’s started recruiting for South Sydney. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
The Redfern-bound Bennett said Merrin, whom he coached in the Dragons’ premiership season in 2010, rang him pleading for help after being told he was unwanted by the Panthers.
“It is ridiculous. I am not recruiting for Souths or anybody else,” Bennett said from England, where he is preparing the British team for their second Test against New Zealand at Anfield on Sunday.
“No-one else has bothered to contact me to find out the truth.
“Trent Merrin contacted me last Sunday and said he was being pushed out of Penrith and they had a deal for him to play in England for the next few years.
e968f70f273e54fe884a0a766cdf3184

Rumour have linked Merrin to South Sydney. (Photo by Mark Evans/Getty Images)
“I’ve got a good relationship with Trent. I’ve known him since he was a young kid at the Dragons and we’ve always kept in touch.
“Trent rang me. I didn’t go chasing him.
“Trent said he would prefer not to go to England and he rang me looking for advice and asked if there was anything I could do.
“I rate Trent as a player and if the Broncos needed a forward, I would have signed him, but we have plenty of good forwards at the club already.
963cf13261d5c5000fe1bf582d9bd6f0

Bennett is currently in camp with England. (Photo by Hannah Peters/Getty Images)
“I said in regards to Souths, I have no idea what their salary cap situation is and how they are placed with middle forwards.
“I didn’t even know Trent had a problem at Penrith, so to be accused of trying to recruit players for my next club is simply wrong.”
Even if Bennett was acting in good faith, the Merrin saga can be viewed as compelling evidence as to why his and Anthony Seibold’s respective tenures at Brisbane and Souths next season are untenable.
21ce72f715518c3261c747cd28bda0ba

4bea4bc264dd698e261da3009e7550d0

League Central TV: Cook price set to skyrocket
It is understood the Broncos face an estimated $400,000 compensation payout should they broker a straight swap and release Bennett immediately to the Rabbitohs in 2019.
Bennett has told Broncos players he will honour his 2019 contract and assured Brisbane bosses he is not interested in recruiting for Souths.
“Stuff like this (Merrin ringing him) happens all the time,” Bennett said.
“Ask any coach in the game. As a coaches we always get calls from guys at different clubs looking for advice or a possible spot if they are struggling ... this is not a one-off situation.
“Penrith should be answering questions about Trent, not me.”
At least it’s good to see the compo has dropped by 100K. Give it a fortnight and we should be sweet.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...t/news-story/db3a44a49abec98daa003953b33135b5

Last edited:
W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
At least it’s good to see the compo has dropped by 100K. Give it a fortnight and we should be sweet.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...t/news-story/db3a44a49abec98daa003953b33135b5
I imagine the start of the conversation probably went something like this:

TM: Hi Wayne, derr football, gym, derr. You got a sec’, I’d like to have a chat about me future?

WB: Hi Trent. Yeh mate, more than happy to have a yarn. But as I am sure you understand, I can’t talk to you about South’s because I don’t work there. *long pause* Yet.

TM: Ohhh OK *sad face*. Thanks anyway *sad face*. I’ll just go to Leeds, they have gnarly surf right?

WB: Read between the lines you moron.

TM: Derr, what?

WB: Nevermind Trent, the less we say the better. Don’t worry, we’ll sort something out.

TM: OK coach, should I get my passport ready?

WB: Don’t do anything Trent, except breathe, you have to keep doing that. We will sort it out later.

TM: OK, thanks for the advice *happy but still incredibly confused face*.

Last edited:
Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
You don’t have to go to Leeds Trent - I'll get you a job at Souths. But if anybody finds out Trent - you gotta go to Leeds.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Penrith forward Trent Merrin expected to complete Super League switch amid Wayne Bennett tampering claims
Merrin’s on-again, off-again move to the Leeds Rhinos is reportedly back on … for now.
Written By STEVE ORME
@SteveOSportal
Penrith Panthers veteran Trent Merrin will reportedly join English Super League club Leeds Rhinos as planned despite Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett’s alleged attempts to lure him to the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
Merrin found himself at the centre of a storm on Thursday after it emerged the Rabbitohs were planning to make an 11th-hour bid for his services.
News Limited journalist and Sporting News Australia contributor Brent Read caused a stir when he tweeted about the Bunnies’ interest in the 29-year-old and suggested Bennett had orchestrated the approach.
Read followed up his earlier tweets later on Thursday evening, suggesting Merrin, who played for Bennett at St George Illawarra, would go through with his Rhinos move on a four-year deal.
However the alleged poaching bid should be troubling for fans of both Brisbane and South Sydney.
Bennett last week signed a three-year deal with the Bunnies beginning in 2020 but has repeatedly declared his intention to see out the final year of his Broncos contract.
Current Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold signed a four-year deal to take over from Bennett at Red Hill from 2020 on Wednesday.
Both clubs have publicly stated they are comfortable with Bennett and Seibold staying at the Broncos and Bunnies respectively in 2019 despite widespread calls for the pair to swap jobs immediately.
But Bennett’s reported recruitment on behalf of the Bunnies highlighted the farcical and untenable situation each club finds themselves in.
And according to Fairfax Media, it seems the Rabbitohs have had enough with general manager of football Shane Richardson en route to England to try and convince Bennett to switch clubs in 2019.
As if often the case, money could be the only obstacle that prevents an immediate swap.
It is understood the 68-year-old will demand a full payout from Brisbane in order to leave immediately, something the Broncos board was hoping to avoid.

Source Sporting

Nhttps://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...t-tampering-claims/13ugebeooze5e1rd5yamwy3n7rews.

Last edited:

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
LOL why would Souffs want Merrin anyway? Hes a clown and not up to spec for a starting forward these days.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Bennett will keep eyes on prize: Carne
Willie Carne says Wayne Bennett will be determined to end Brisbane's NRL premiership drought and won't recruit for future club South Sydney in 2019.
Brisbane great Willie Carne says master coach Wayne Bennett will be determined to break the Broncos' premiership drought and not recruit for future NRL club South Sydney if he remains next year.
Critics have called for a 2019 swap between Bennett and Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold, who was recently confirmed as the man to take over the Broncos reins in 2020.
There are fears Bennett may convince Broncos players to go with him to South Sydney if he remains at Red Hill in 2019.
And Bennett has reportedly already asked the Rabbitohs to pursue the signing of prop Trent Merrin for next year, indicating an early release - a report the coach slammed on Saturday.
But ex-Test and Queensland winger Carne, who won two titles in seven seasons under Bennett, said Bennett would keep his eyes on the prize if he stayed in Brisbane.
Next year would be Bennett's 26th season with the Broncos reins.
"The Broncos players will lift for Wayne and he will get everything he can out of it from the players," Carne told AAP.
"It's not like he has started a new three-year deal and is going through the motions. He knows how long he has left now.
"This season will mean a bit more to him.
"And the players will want him to go out a winner.
"If he is there next year, Wayne will do the job at hand. It won't be a problem."
Rabbitohs head of football Shane Richardson has reportedly flown to the United Kingdom to speak with Bennett about a 2019 swap despite both coaches insisting they would begin their new tenures in 2020.
Bennett currently holds the England reins for their Test series against New Zealand.
Unlike many Broncos greats, Carne backed the Broncos' appointment of Seibold but warned it would be a tough job, with the glamour club still sweating on their first title since 2006.
Seibold has had just one season at the NRL helm, steering South Sydney to the 2018 NRL preliminary final and earning Dally M Coach of the Year honours.
"Coaching is a tough gig. Wayne always said to me when they win fans thank God, when they lose they blame him," Carne said.
"And you need luck to win a comp. Brisbane were the last team to go back-to-back and that was 25 years ago - that's crazy.
"Wayne has done something at some point that someone is not happy about (to depart the Broncos) but ...we all want the same thing, we have got to support the new coach."

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/bennett-will-keep-eyes-on-prize-carne

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Surely Merrin wouldn't be on much these days. Could be worth a gamble for some clubs, maybe Wayne could have brought out his best. If there's one thing Wayne will probably always be good at, it's front rowers.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Dash
  • Strop
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Galah
  • Robboi_321
  • Santa
  • kman
  • RolledOates
  • Pablo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.