MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Ambition outweighs loyalty in new world of NRL coaching 'lifers'
Roy Masters
By Roy Masters
12 November 2018 — 4:00pm
When the Broncos and Rabbitohs allow their coaches – Wayne Bennett and Anthony Seibold – to break their contracts and swap jobs for 2019 it will merely confirm the inevitable.
Given Bennett’s poor relationship with the Brisbane administration and his track record of taking players with him to his next club, it would be a disruptive year for both clubs.
Coach swap: Both teams could be in for flow-on effects if the switch goes ahead.
Bennett will be into his 70s when he completes his next contract, further confirmation that today’s football coaches are lifers in that they will never have another job outside the NRL system.
After retiring as players, they seek a position as a development coach, or an assistant, then wait for a head coach’s job to become vacant.

After securing the position, they either transfer to another club, or are sacked.
Those who are dismissed find a job as an assistant at another club, or are employed by the NRL - for example as an advisor to referees.
Given the average three-quarter-of-a-million dollar salaries they earn, together with the pay-outs to the sacked coaches, they can afford to sit out a year, waiting for the inevitable opportunity to arise.
The five coaches involved in the carousel which is nearing a halt have failed to exercise their most basic responsibility, which is to set an example to players.
Seibold’s behaviour is the most disappointing. He has demonstrated minimum loyalty and maximum ambition in his time in the NRL.
Seibold left the Storm when he could not gain a promotion from development coach to assistant; exited Manly after one season, and then switched to the same assistant’s role at Souths.
Twenty-four hours after head coach Michael Maguire was sacked with a year left on his contract, Seibold was appointed to the position. He now leaves Souths, deserting the club which gave him his first top job, after only one year in the position.
Bennett has now broken contracts at three clubs – Canberra (to move to Brisbane); the Roosters (to remain in Brisbane) and Newcastle (to return to Brisbane).
He has also reneged on an agreement to return to the Dragons and caused Souths embarrassment when he last negotiated with them, before deciding on the Knights. Money has always been his main motivator.
Bennett knows he has the Broncos in an invidious position, given the potential instability he could cause in 2019.
However, because the Broncos triggered his departure by refusing his request for an extension past 2019, his latest bale out is not as treacherous as Ivan Cleary’s exit from West Tigers to Penrith.
It’s been widely reported that Cleary left the Tigers with two years left on his contract because he wanted to coach his son, Nathan, Penrith’s No.7.
If Nathan is not as brilliant as the world seems to think and Ivan has to drop him, what then?
Cleary has also revealed he wants to return to Penrith - the club which sacked him - because he has "unfinished business". So his time at Wests Tigers was "finished business?"
If it doesn’t work out, he can console himself working in the NRL’s best Centre of Excellence, with a huge salary and his mate as club chair.
Trent Barrett did not breach any contract when he exercised his right to advise Manly in July that he would not be taking up his option for 2019. However, he broke the golden rule of the game which is to hang in there when times are tough.
Why did he do this? Well, he knows he can climb back on the coaching carousel.
His replacement, Des Hasler, returns to the club which was forced to release him with a year left on his contract, after he signed with Canterbury.
Given Manly owners, the Penns, have a fear of penury, they won’t like paying two coaches.
If Barrett is being paid not to coach, they will probably have Hasler on an incentive based contract. Still, he will have his contract pay out from Canterbury to console himself.
The term "lifer" is usually associated with those sentenced to jail for long terms, hardly a comparison with a coach and his million dollar salary.
No, it’s politicians with whom coaches can most relevantly compared.
Today’s politicians join the trade union movement, or occupy administrative positions in state or federal branches of parties and then win pre-selection and finally a seat in parliament.
Like coaches, they rarely have any other life experience.
And just as the image of politicians has plummeted with multiple leadership changes this past decade, so has the reputation of NRL coaches declined for the same reason.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/am...d-of-nrl-coaching-lifers-20181112-p50fgw.html

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
The only bastards who are impatient as **** for this swap to happen is the bloodsucking media

There is fair reason behind closed door to be busting for this swap to happen. Pre season has already kicked off, December on is critical to the teams success next season.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
imagev180bcae164ac412a6018ee16ed986e909-dcvazy0g8bcf6c4hrq2_ct300x225.jpg

Yeah mate, I can't believe it worked, I asked Scott Minto to drive one car, I got in the other and they had no idea who was the real Wayne Bennett and they just gave up like that.

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Roy Masters column
Rift widening at Broncos as Bennett impasse drags on
Roy Masters22 November 2018 — 7:38pm
Broncos chairman Karl Morris failed to reach a settlement with Wayne Bennett on Wednesday over a payout to the final year of the coach’s contract, with Bennett making himself unavailable for further talks until Saturday.
The impasse between rugby league’s most successful coach and one of Australia’s best clubs has exacerbated the widening gap between the Broncos’ former players and its administration.
17467c841173c1ac136532f5c23925a865f5b5c2

Trouble in paradise: the Wayne Bennett saga is continuing to divide the Broncos.AAP
The shambolic contracting process which led to the club appointing South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold on a four-year deal from 2020 and Bennett accepting a contract to replace him at the Rabbitohs the same year has compromised the Broncos’ greatest ever player, Darren Lockyer.
Lockyer is a board member of the Broncos and one of three - along with Morris and club chief executive, Paul White - who interviewed the candidates to succeed Bennett.
Former teammates of Lockyer are angry he initially planned to absent himself from the interview with Kevin Walters, a multi premiership-winning player and Queensland’s State of Origin coach.
Lockyer eventually did attend, following an appeal from Walters, but most ex-players assume the process was a sham, with Seibold's appointment a fait accompli.
A 25-year reunion of the 1993 Broncos premiership team has been organised for December 5, an unusual date given most are held at grand final time.
Chris Johns - a member of the Broncos’ inaugural premiership team - organised the reunion, partly to bridge another growing divide: between the Broncos’ football and licensed clubs.
The appointment of Seibold over Walters, the preferred choice of the ex-players, is likely to be discussed at the reunion, along with Bennett’s failure to publicly endorse Walters, who has twice been his assistant.
However, Johns, who is loyal to both Walters and Bennett, is critical of both Morris and White, asking Morris in a text message: ‘‘As our club now descends into mediocrity, I would ask on behalf of shareholders why you would baulk on a pay out of Wayne when your CEO has blatantly wasted shareholder money on your next coach....My 7 year old niece could have negotiated a better deal.’’
Related Article

Morris responded, arguing Johns is only aware ‘‘of certain aspects of the facts’’ but promised to answer his question at the club’s Annual General Meeting, scheduled for May.
However, Morris, who likes to position himself as noble and conciliatory, could not resist a barb back to Johns, texting, ‘‘I look forward to meeting your 7 year old niece – she sounds very talented!’’
While Morris did not accept an offer to meet with Johns, White did, along with Lockyer. The Broncos argue that News Corporation, the majority shareholder of the Broncos, reappointed Bennett to the club, not the board, and therefore they are entitled to sack him.
However, White subsequently supported Bennett for an upgrade to his contract, a favour Bennett dutifully repaid by approaching the board for a pay rise for White.
But that was all before coach and CEO fell out and ran competing barbecues this year for the current players.
Bennett knows he has the Broncos pinned on their tryline in a one-man tackle with the clock ticking to zero.
06175705fb152751475f0a3664703f4bac1eda27

No input: the fact Wayne Bennett had no say in the Broncos releasing Queensland enforcer Josh McGuire suggests the club don't expect him to be at the helm in 2019.AAP
He had no input into their decision to release international forward Josh McGuire, with two years left on his contract, to join the Cowboys, suggesting the Broncos do not expect Bennett to be in charge in 2019.
Bennett is holding out for a full payment of his annual $1.1m contract, freeing him to join Souths where he will be paid approximately $900,000, a total of $2m for the 2019 season.
Souths would then be free to release Seibold a year ahead of his contract expiring, but it will cost them $500,000, the difference between what they are currently paying Seibold and what they will outlay for Bennett.
It will cost the Broncos more but the monetary outlay to a club which regularly makes $4m in profit is insignificant compared to the damage done to a brand which, this week, was rated Australia's No.1 sporting organisation the past 25 years, despite not winning a grand final since 2006.
‘‘We’ve had four coaches over the tenure of Paul White and if Seibold, who is a rookie coach, turns out to be a failure, it could be a fifth,’’ says Johns.
Bennett, as the club’s inaugural premiership coach, has been invited to the December reunion at the Broncos Leagues club. A teetotaller, he will avoid the beer Johns has ordered by the barrel but he sure has the Broncos over one.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...bennett-impasse-drags-on-20181122-p50hqb.html

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Really, what a massive ****-up by the board whichever way you look at it. The media are circling like sharks with all this blood in the water and if the board had acted more decisively in the first place, a lot of this could have been avoided.

Regardless of the fact I want Bennett gone asap, he is still surely entitled to a full payout. The board can either let this drama linger on or pay the man what he is due. Incompetent ***** when they are getting paid the big dollars themselves.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
So why does Bennett get his full $1.1m from the Broncos plus his full $900k from Souths, while Seibold gets his contract from us but zilch from Souths?

I smell made up figures.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
imagev180bcae164ac412a6018ee16ed986e909-dcvazy0g8bcf6c4hrq2_ct300x225.jpg

Yeah mate, I can't believe it worked, I asked Scott Minto to drive one car, I got in the other and they had no idea who was the real Wayne Bennett and they just gave up like that.
good job clint eastwood was free
There is a book about this from Enderss Johansson or something that is funnily basically about this.
I'm thinking "cloud atlas" by David Mitchell. It's one of the funniest parts of a great book. In the film, the actors take on several roles to capture the feel of the book of sharing stories. This whole training fiasco of coaches hiding from the media has the makings of a comedy, about it. Indeed the whole thing.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
So why does Bennett get his full $1.1m from the Broncos plus his full $900k from Souths, while Seibold gets his contract from us but zilch from Souths?

I smell made up figures.

Something I’ve been wondering in a similar thought, if Souths are so desperate to get rid of Seibold, but we’re ‘happy’ (apparently) for Wayne to stay, then Souths should be paying the difference of AS’s current contract to get their million dollar coach this year and we can use the ‘rest’ we’d be paying to Wayne to pay Seibold (if we choose to). Everyone gets their money in the end. I don’t see why we have to pay out our coach and Souths don’t have to pay anyone anything

Last edited:
FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Something I’ve been wondering in a similar thought, if Souths are so desperate to get rid of Seibold, but we’re ‘happy’ (apparently) for Wayne to stay, then Souths should be paying the difference of AS’s current contract to get their million dollar coach this year and we can use the ‘rest’ we’d be paying to Wayne to pay Seibold (if we choose to). Everyone gets their money in the end. I don’t see why we have to pay out our coach and Souths don’t have to pay anyone anything

I thought Souths had to pay $500,000 - that being the difference to what Seibs is meant to be on (i.e. $400,000 next year and Bennett on $900,000). So the $500k is the difference between the 2 salaries.

Who the **** knows anymore really with all these figures flying about.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Gaz
  • Organix
  • Harry Sack
  • Painin the Haas
  • Matheos
  • Stix
  • Maroon4life
  • BruiserMk1
  • The Strapper
  • Aldo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • leon.bott
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.