MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Mmmmm. Farce, mess. Tomato, tomato.
Broncos great Chris Johns slams club hierarchy over coaching saga

Brisbane legend Chris Johns has led a Broncos Old Boys’ attack on club hierarchy, personally fronting CEO Paul White and calling for coach Wayne Bennett to be paid every cent he is owed.
The Courier-Mail understands Bennett will meet with Broncos chairman Karl Morris on Saturday to discuss a compensation deal, clearing the path for an immediate straight swap with Souths coach Anthony Seibold.
It can be revealed Rabbitohs bosses contacted Brisbane chiefs a fortnight ago to kickstart a financial settlement, but Bennett will not accept any cut-price arrangement.
9decc3e64e04e21da897cf7980d0c37a

Brisbane legend Chris Johns is outraged at the Broncos coaching saga. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
It means the Broncos will have to pay Bennett $900,000 – his entire salary for next season – or face the prospect of the 68-year-old digging his heels in and blocking Seibold’s arrival for another 12 months.
The protracted saga has gone down like a lead balloon with many Broncos greats, including Johns, who has contacted Morris and met with White to express his anger at a process he slammed as a “debacle”.
Johns claims the search for Bennett’s successor has been one of the most embarrassing episodes in Brisbane’s 30-year history and he urged Morris to finally end the affair by paying out the super coach in full.
69af9f45f8148cf44f2e8dc6c0acb19d

The Brisbane legend described the saga as a debacle.
“I’ve taken my frustrations to Paul White and Karl Morris,” said Johns, the 171-game Broncos legend and former Melbourne Storm CEO.
“This entire episode has been a farce.
“I’ve sent a couple of text messages to Karl basically saying ‘Get on with the job’.
“As a former CEO myself, I met Paul White and I said, ‘It’s crazy what has gone on, this is not the standards of a professional organisation’.
“I told Paul how I felt and he told me how he felt, and it’s fair to say we agreed to disagree on a few things. It’s been a sad and messy process from day one.
74278f8a81d54efd4d10db0ac405dc8e

Johns spoke to Broncos CEO Paul White about his frustrations. Picture: AAP/ Ric Frearson
“So the only way to sort out this debacle is to cough up every cent for Wayne, let him go, get Anthony Seibold in and get the Broncos club and players in the right state of mind for next season.”
The Broncos are mired in a 13-year premiership drought – the longest in their proud history – and Johns is adamant Brisbane will struggle for success next season if the turbulence remains.
“Can you imagine this circus going on for another 12 months?,” Johns said.
“If you look at the rosters of the Broncos and Souths, they are both capable of winning premierships and to win a premiership, you need just about everything to go right in a season.
d82ec4d013b989b22bf3751d9e392cbd

McCullough seeks quick end to Broncos coaching mystery
“You can’t have any turbulence. You need loyalty and the will as a group to play together and for your coach.
“The Broncos used to be the pinnacle, but the reality is we just aren’t the envy of the league anymore.
“From an ethical and business point of view, this has been a terrible look for the Broncos.
“I don’t blame Wayne or Anthony, but the straight swap has to happen now for the sake of the Broncos and the poor fans, who don’t deserve this mess.”
Every Test, ODI & T20I live, ad-break free during play and in 4K. Only on Foxtel. SIGN UP TODAY!

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...a/news-story/6ccfd7a9f46099147033260549ea8904

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Except set up a smooth succession plan ....
You mean like 2009? Because lets be honest, and Im a big fan of his, but thats the only other option with wayne. He beats to his own drum and thats fair enough, but that means he wanted to leave when he was ready too leave and it doesnt matter what our options are after him.

Henjak, price, stone..... this is a faaaaar better outcome then ANY of those situations despite what the media has told you...

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
You mean like 2009? Because lets be honest, and Im a big fan of his, but thats the only other option with wayne. He beats to his own drum and thats fair enough, but that means he wanted to leave when he was ready too leave and it doesnt matter what our options are after him.

Henjak, price, stone..... this is a faaaaar better outcome then ANY of those situations despite what the media has told you...
I don’t follow what 2009 has to do with 2018/19 but anyway. Not for one minute do I believe that Bennett is squeaky clean in all this but it hasn’t been all beer and skittles throughout and if there was more honesty and communication (from both sides) from the start, I suspect we wouldn’t be were we are now.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I don’t follow what 2009 has to do with 2018/19 but anyway. Not for one minute do I believe that Bennett is squeaky clean in all this but it hasn’t been all beer and skittles throughout and if there was more honesty and communication (from both sides) from the start, I suspect we wouldn’t be were we are now.
If your boss is going to replace you in 2 years do you expect a full run down on all the potential candidates and an extra 1-2 years so you can decide when you leave. Thats what he expected! Not even bill gates got that from apple, and he ACTUALLY DID build that company. The broncos offered him a bloody promotion and to honour his current contract! What else could they do?

And 2009, umm ok, you know the only example we have of the last time he left.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
If your boss is going to replace you in 2 years do you expect a full run down on all the potential candidates and an extra 1-2 years so you can decide when you leave. Thats what he expected! Not even bill gates got that from apple, and he ACTUALLY DID build that company. The broncos offered him a bloody promotion and to honour his current contract! What else could they do?

At the least, I would expect that the executive and the coach have an open and honest discussion about how to go about the future. From memory, that’s what they agreed to do and Bennett agreed to them talking with others so long as they were honest and up front. We had Bellamy on the hook and then Seibold. Again, I’ll repeat I don’t think Bennett is the white knight in all this uit I can’t believe people are ok with how this is all panning out. I know the media are full of shit but it’s not all made up, is it?
As of ‘09, it was a totally different scenario so I’m not sure how it relates.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

that is just another ex-player pissed of that their "mate" didn't get the job.

this "mess" as you call it is a work of fiction lead by Badel who is still butthurt that one of his lies (and himself personally) got shot to pieces by White earlier this year.

now i know, professionalism is a foreign concept when it comes to rugby league clubs, but that's exactly what our management were and continue to be throughout this whole thing. they did exactly what they were supposed to do (and just because some people don't agree with the decision, doesn't mean it was unprofessional).

1. They made the decision, that Wayne Bennett was not the coach to lead the club into the future
  2. They notified the coach of their decision nice and early to allow him and the club plenty of time to make their future plans
  3. They identified their preferred candidate
  4. They conducted a thorough assessment of these candidates.
  5. They made their offer to their preferred candidate and successfully signed him.
  6. They declared that they would be honoring the final year of Wayne Bennett's contract, also allowing Seibold to honor the final year of his.
all done professionally and exactly what they should have done in these circumstances. Just because people disagree with the decision made, doesn't mean that it wasn't professional. in fact, there are several things the club could have done (but thankfully didn't) that would have been unprofessional, and they are:

1. Re-sign Bennett to a new contract, because of what he had done more than a decade ago, despite their belief that he wasn't the man to lead them into the future.
  2. sign Kevin Walters to replace Bennett, because he is a club legend, despite them holding the belief that there were better candidates out there.
hell, it doesn't matter what the Broncos did, Badel and his mates in the media would have spun it negatively anyway. for example, if the club held of and waited until mid-2019 to sack Bennett/inform him his contract would not be renewed, then the spin would have been how much of a "mess" we got ourselves into for not pulling the trigger on Bennett earlier, thus missing out on Seibold

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I reckon as soon as Benny saw next season's draw and the first four rounds in particular he went into the front office and asked to move a year early. I don't blame him mind.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

this "mess" as you call it is a work of fiction lead by Badel who is still butthurt that one of his lies (and himself personally) got shot to pieces by White earlier this year.

now i know, professionalism is a foreign concept when it comes to rugby league clubs, but that's exactly what our management were and continue to be throughout this whole thing. they did exactly what they were supposed to do (and just because some people don't agree with the decision, doesn't mean it was unprofessional).

1. They made the decision, that Wayne Bennett was not the coach to lead the club into the future
  2. They notified the coach of their decision nice and early to allow him and the club plenty of time to make their future plans
  5. They made their offer to their preferred candidate and successfully signed him.
  6. They declared that they would be honoring the final year of Wayne Bennett's contract, also allowing Seibold to honor the final year of his.
all done professionally and exactly what they should have done in these circumstances. Just because people disagree with the decision made, doesn't mean that it wasn't professional. in fact, there are several things the club could have done (but thankfully didn't) that would have been unprofessional, and they are:

1. Re-sign Bennett to a new contract, because of what he had done more than a decade ago, despite their belief that he wasn't the man to lead them into the future.
  2. sign Kevin Walters to replace Bennett, because he is a club legend, despite them holding the belief that there were better candidates out there.
hell, it doesn't matter what the Broncos did, Badel and his mates in the media would have spun it negatively anyway. for example, if the club held of and waited until mid-2019 to sack Bennett/inform him his contract would not be renewed, then the spin would have been how much of a "mess" we got ourselves into for not pulling the trigger on Bennett earlier, thus missing out on Seibold

Agree with most of your post , but if the swap happens near or after Christmas then that would be a mess. Spot on about the media, wouldn't matter which way you go they would would put a negative spin on it.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009

Mate, I can’t stand the likes of Badel, Rothfield et al as much as anyone but to say it is a TOTAL media beat up is tin foil on the head type stuff.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I reckon as soon as Benny saw next season's draw and the first four rounds in particular he went into the front office and asked to move a year early. I don't blame him mind.
Based on what? You think he asked to leave early?

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015

Your last paragraph sums it up perfectly for me. It was lose-lose for white and morris with these people...

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Mate, I can’t stand the likes of Badel, Rothfield et al as much as anyone but to say it is a TOTAL media beat up is tin foil on the head type stuff.

So if the speculated swap doesn’t happen and Bennett coaches out the year as he is contracted to do, are we still in a ‘mess’ by your reckoning?

Or if Seibold and Bennett swap next week and Seibold has all of the pre-season minus the very first week, are we still in a mess?

I’m confused as to what this ‘mess’ really is. Is it mere uncertainty and that defines this ‘mess’? Or is there something more to it that I am unaware of?

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
So if the speculated swap doesn’t happen and Bennett coaches out the year as he is contracted to do, are we still in a ‘mess’ by your reckoning?

Or if Seibold and Bennett swap next week and Seibold has all of the pre-season minus the very first week, are we still in a mess?

I’m confused as to what this ‘mess’ really is. Is it mere uncertainty and that defines this ‘mess’? Or is there something more to it that I am unaware of?
We're going around in circles. We're into pre-season and we have no idea for sure who our coach is next year. Blame Bennett 100% for all I care, it's far from ideal.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016

If we are seriously comparing coaching the broncos to a regular job then this would be the equivalent of sacking a 25 year member who helped set up the company at the start, is considered one of the best if not THE BEST in his role, for someone who had great uni results and did well running the canteen, never mind that sacking someone for their age is illegal.
This is not comparable to regular employment. For one thing, the statistic that is quoted as failure for one candidate (namely bennet not winning a premiership in 4 years) is also true of the other (neither has Siebold).
It is based on 1. Bennets age (illegal for age discrimination), 2. Personality clash with his immediate supervisor (once again, illegal for bullying or harrassment), 3. Siebold supposed potential (unproven).
There are no other identified reasons for this change.
But all that is immaterial as this is NOT a regular job and the board (elected by shareholders, not fans) has spoken. They believe this will lead to success (or at least hope so). There is nothing any fan can do and the sooner this sorry mess is cleaned up the better.
Bennet, given all the evidence provided to the fans, should have served his term and any others until someone with PROVEN success was available, but that was not to be. Maybe the board is privy to information we are not aware of. Maybe Bennet has done things that have made his position untennable. We just don't know and probably wont for a while.
One thing I DO KNOW, is no matter how you look at this, our club looks ridiculous with two supposed coaches and players left to figure what the hell is going on for themselves.
For that alone, the board need to take a serious look at the way their clandestine activities have led to this and learn (preferably with a more open approach to both what they hope to achieve, but also their respect for some of the people most hurt in this whole affair: young players on cusp of great things that have suddenly seen petty club politics take their futures and play dice with them for the sake of sating some egos.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
We're going around in circles. We're into pre-season and we have no idea for sure who our coach is next year. Blame Bennett 100% for all I care, it's far from ideal.

Our coach is the one guy contracted to coach us. Which as of right now is Bennett. I know that’s a tricky one and difficult to comprehend...

Contracts can change as we’ve all seen and IF they do our coach will be Seibold.

Which is why I don’t see the ‘mess’ that you do... Better run than Manly you say? Do we have two coaches on the books at the same time that we are paying for 2019?

There is daylight between us and the likes of them.

Last edited:
L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
If we are seriously comparing coaching the broncos to a regular job then this would be the equivalent of sacking a 25 year member who helped set up the company at the start, is considered one of the best if not THE BEST in his role, for someone who had great uni results and did well running the canteen, never mind that sacking someone for their age is illegal.
This is not comparable to regular employment. For one thing, the statistic that is quoted as failure for one candidate (namely bennet not winning a premiership in 4 years) is also true of the other (neither has Siebold).
It is based on 1. Bennets age (illegal for age discrimination), 2. Personality clash with his immediate supervisor (once again, illegal for bullying or harrassment), 3. Siebold supposed potential (unproven).
There are no other identified reasons for this change.
But all that is immaterial as this is NOT a regular job and the board (elected by shareholders, not fans) has spoken. They believe this will lead to success (or at least hope so). There is nothing any fan can do and the sooner this sorry mess is cleaned up the better.
Bennet, given all the evidence provided to the fans, should have served his term and any others until someone with PROVEN success was available, but that was not to be. Maybe the board is privy to information we are not aware of. Maybe Bennet has done things that have made his position untennable. We just don't know and probably wont for a while.
One thing I DO KNOW, is no matter how you look at this, our club looks ridiculous with two supposed coaches and players left to figure what the hell is going on for themselves.
For that alone, the board need to take a serious look at the way their clandestine activities have led to this and learn (preferably with a more open approach to both what they hope to achieve, but also their respect for some of the people most hurt in this whole affair: young players on cusp of great things that have suddenly seen petty club politics take their futures and play dice with them for the sake of sating some egos.
Cool story. When did bennett get sacked?

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Financeguy
  • Ronald
  • Cavalo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Spoon
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • Hoof Hearted
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.