MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Our coach is the one guy contracted to coach us. Which as of right now is Bennett. I know that’s a tricky one and difficult to comprehend...

Contracts can change as we’ve all seen and IF they do our coach will be Seibold.

Which is why I don’t see the ‘mess’ that you do... Better run than Manly you say? Do we have two coaches on the books at the same time that we are paying for 2019?

There is daylight between us and the likes of them.
Not sure if you're pissed but are you saying we're NOT better run than Manly?

Not sure if you're pissed but are you saying we're NOT better run than Manly?

Well let me see. One club has Trent Barrett and Des Hasler contracted for next year.

One has Bennett and no-one else contracted for next year.

Hang on, I’ll count my fingers and see if I can work it out mathematically, seeing as though number of contracted coaches seems to be the determining factor in how well a club is run...

If the swap does happen, I want a clear explanation for it. No doubt the media are driving the issue, but I also think there are some politics at play we aren’t privy to.

Well let me see. One club has Trent Barrett and Des Hasler contracted for next year.

One has Bennett and no-one else contracted for next year.

Hang on, I’ll count my fingers and see if I can work it out mathematically, seeing as though number of contracted coaches seems to be the determining factor in how well a club is run...
Good because I said that it makes me feel better knowing we're better run than Manly. That implies I believe we are better run than Manly. So you've lost me there.

Good because I said that it makes me feel better knowing we're better run than Manly. That implies I believe we are better run than Manly. So you've lost me there.

You compared our club to being better run than two basket case clubs, implying that while better we aren’t that much because of this current ‘controversy.’

You weren’t suggesting we are well run...

You compared our club to being better run than two basket case clubs, implying that while better we aren’t that much because of this current ‘controversy.’

You weren’t suggesting we are well run...
Seriously. Stop. I never said that. Read it again. Or stop drinking.

5E9D15C4 E808 4165 8573 1188CC9F4DE1
3F5CC6FE 8E97 4620 BB6A F6FB77A52B22
5E9D15C4 E808 4165 8573 1188CC9F4DE1
Seriously. Stop. I never said that. Read it again. Or stop drinking.

Okay, let’s just pretend you never posted these and called the club’s situation a mess to begin this conversation. You clearly aren’t interested in discussing the matter that you brought up...

I made it easy for them last time': Bennett stoush 11 years in making
Send via Email
To fully understand the calamity that is the Wayne Bennett-Brisbane Broncos coaching stand-off, you have to go back 11 years, almost to the day.
In late 2007, Bennett was on the nose at Red Hill. After 21 seasons, the foundation coach synonymous with the powerhouse club had lost the support of News Corporation, the majority shareholder of the publicly listed company which owned the club.

BRONCOS

Fast forward 10 years and we're back where we were. With a year to run on his deal, Bennett is on the nose. New Corporation has fallen out of love with him for a second time.
After results didn't go their way without Bennett, who went on to win a title with St George in 2010, Lachlan Murdoch personally courted him and brought him back. On big money.
As a board member said at the time: "We just have to have him back. We're losing and the Broncos can't tolerate that. Our supporters and corporate supporters can't tolerate that".
However, after four moderate seasons, which included a grand final appearance in 2015, this time it's over for real.

Murdoch, who has loved the Broncos from the moment he was sent to Brisbane as a young executive by Rupert in 1994, has instilled his trust in CEO Paul White to run the club his way – a more modern, corporate way.
Karl Morris, the rugby union fan big-time accountant was installed by News as the chairman. There was no room for a coach who "ran the whole show".
The club courted Craig Bellamy – and failed – eventually settling on South Sydney's promising young coach Anthony Seibold, an old mate of White's from their days growing up in Rockhampton.
Bennett signed with Souths, but neither coaching deal begins until 2020, as they are both contracted to their current clubs for 2019.
And this is where Bennett is drawing on what happened 10 years ago.

"Ten years ago, I made it easy for them. This time around, I won't be making it easy for them," is what he has told his very inner circle.
Bennett will leave now, only if sacked and paid his full $1.1 million for 2019. He can add that to the $900,000 he will earn at Souths and it's a $2 million year.
But ego is in the way.
Around the globe, News Corp pays out executives at its operations regularly when things don't work out. It's a cost of business.

This is no different – Bennett should be seen as an executive at one of the companies it controls. Which is exactly what Brisbane Broncos Ltd is, a company in which News has a controlling share.
But football is different. And neither side will budge. "You can't let the other side win".
In the end, the Broncos and News will have no choice but to part with the $1.1 million and move on. It's the cost of doing business.
The current situation is intolerable – just as losing was.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...toush-11-years-in-making-20181123-p50hxy.html

Unless something changes that is both his and the club’s official stance AND Seibold’s as well for that matter, so why would you think otherwise. Because a media desperate for drama says so?

As for being a mess, how many clubs have changed coaches halfway through the season? Us potentially changing before the season even starts doesn’t even come close to that level of drama.

Yet we are a ‘mess’...

To suggest that there is no 'mess', IE. Conflict of Interest (Massive one), is short sighted and it's slightly confusing that ANY Broncos or Rabbitohs fans would now want to stick with the coaches this year. If you can't see the massive conflict for what it is, well, I don't know how to explain it to you to make you realise that it is indeed a hell of a mess.

And say what you want about the media, hate them all you like, but if the coach is going stealth, and hiding out in the back of utes, well, it's a fucking mess.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Cavalo
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jedhead
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • bert_lifts
  • Harry Sack
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • RolledOates
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncsgoat
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • winslow_wong
  • Morepudding
  • Totally Unr3al
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.