MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
This is a negotiation tactic from Bennett, if ya'll aren't aware.

Who benefits the most from Bennett "wanting to stay"? Wayne, of course. If there's a perception in the media & public that he wants to stay, the Broncos lose all leverage in buyout negotiations with him. If he spoke (what I'm assuming is) the truth and told the Broncos that he wants to go to Souths with a full pay-out, we could negotiate a middle ground where he gets a marginally reduced pay-out & an early move to Souths.

Scenario A -

White: "How about we give you 75% of the final year of your contract and you get your wish of moving to Souths a year early?"
Bennett: "Yeah, fair enough."

Scenario B (current) -

White: "How about we give you 75% of the final year of your contract and you go to Souths a year early?"
Bennett: "That's not acceptable, because I really want to stay at the Broncos.. :)"
6 weeks later

White: "Fine, here is 100%, now **** off."

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I'm hoping he stays as the current crop know his system and provided we don't have the horrendous injuries we had last year we'll be in a far stronger position to challenge come semi time. Plus, I get a feeling that the players are fair dinkum in their commitment to him. Milf starting the season early. Boyd and Bird looking fresh and fit. a real red hot pack with Lodge having overcome the torrent of abuse last year. Benny's final year at his beloved Broncs. It all shapes up as the perfect storm.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
you have to laugh at the headline on Foxsports: Bombshell! Wayne Bennett to stay at Broncos in 2019 as coach ...

It is hardly a "bombshell" when everyone even remotely associated with either the club or Bennett has been saying from the word go that Bennett will be Broncos coach in 2019

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
Do we think the club will hold some kind of press conference if this is true? Would be nice to have some clarity. I know Wayne is still contracted for next year but I would rather not go the majority of the pre season wondering if a coach swap is still on the cards.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
On the upside, Wayne can't gaurantee Thaiday a spot every week. On the down side, he will likely for for Boyd, Nikorima and McCoullough. I sincerely hope he leaves now.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
To suggest that there is no 'mess', IE. Conflict of Interest (Massive one), is short sighted and it's slightly confusing that ANY Broncos or Rabbitohs fans would now want to stick with the coaches this year. If you can't see the massive conflict for what it is, well, I don't know how to explain it to you to make you realise that it is indeed a hell of a mess.

And say what you want about the media, hate them all you like, but if the coach is going stealth, and hiding out in the back of utes, well, it's a fucking mess.

https://outline.com/R88DXr

Yep, a hell of a mess. They’ve stated all along Bennett will be our coach in 2019. He is contracted to do so and no-one else is.

That is the definition of a ‘mess’ now apparently...

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Do we think the club will hold some kind of press conference if this is true? Would be nice to have some clarity. I know Wayne is still contracted for next year but I would rather not go the majority of the pre season wondering if a coach swap is still on the cards.

How much clarity do you want? The media fed this crap and are now reporting the deal is done for Bennett to stay...

So when they stir up crap it’s reliable and we should jump up and down about the mess that’s been created, but when the media are forced by reality to report the situation as it always has been it’s not reliable and the club has to come out and ensure clarity?

Sigh...

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
To suggest that there is no 'mess', IE. Conflict of Interest (Massive one), is short sighted and it's slightly confusing that ANY Broncos or Rabbitohs fans would now want to stick with the coaches this year. If you can't see the massive conflict for what it is, well, I don't know how to explain it to you to make you realise that it is indeed a hell of a mess.

And say what you want about the media, hate them all you like, but if the coach is going stealth, and hiding out in the back of utes, well, it's a fucking mess.
That's just it Nashy, a lot of us don't see it as a massive conflict. We see it as a potential issue but know or have faith in WB to act in an appropriate way when dealing with it. The only issue I see is about player poaching but as WB is not part of the gang doing recruitment or retention and players have contracts then it isn't really an issue. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to suggest WB will tell his Broncos to take it easy on Souths with an eye on 2020 or deliberately tank games so Souths benifit.

A lot of us view it as a pure media hype job and I think you've bought into it. As Shakespeare wrote, much ado about nothing.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
By the way, I thought WB giving the media the slip was a great moment and truly getting in the spirit of things. It made me smile and I loved the old buggers sense of humour. It was light hearted and I was delighted WB was texting and tweeting and teasing the dummies, had them right where he wants them, dancing to his tune. My kind of coach.

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
How much clarity do you want? The media fed this crap and are now reporting the deal is done for Bennett to stay...

So when they stir up crap it’s reliable and we should jump up and down about the mess that’s been created, but when the media are forced by reality to report the situation as it always has been it’s not reliable and the club has to come out and ensure clarity?

Sigh...

Wtf...I take everything the Journo's say with a grain of salt. You always have to filter through the bullshit. There are way more reliable sources on this forum that's why I asked the question.

If it was so obvious that Bennett was going to coach us next year than what the hell have we been talking about over the last few weeks?

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
There has been a fair bit of confusion on this forum, and I dare say the majority of the broncos fan base in who will coach our team next year. I feel like there should be more clarity.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Wtf...I take everything the Journo's say with a grain of salt. You always have to filter through the bullshit. There are way more reliable sources on this forum that's why I asked the question.

If it was so obvious that Bennett was going to coach us next year than what the hell have we been talking about over the last few weeks?

both the Broncos board and Bennett stated emphatically, months ago, that Bennett would be coach for 2019 .... but that doesn't sell newspapers or get clicks.

since nothing has changed, there is no reason to call an "i told ya so" press conference

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

Quite honestly, fake news is what ‘we’ have been discussing, meanwhile most have overlooked or just flat out ignored that Wayne, Brisbane, Souths and Seibold have stated repeatedly that Wayne will be at the Broncs and Seibold at Souths in 2019. Even when they both turned up to their respective clubs as expected, the media just kept up their incessant desire for clicks and MSU and it seems most just lapped it up.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
On the upside, Wayne can't gaurantee Thaiday a spot every week. On the down side, he will likely for for Boyd, Nikorima and McCoullough. I sincerely hope he leaves now.

As if seibold would've had it differently

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Well, don't I feel like a right idiot! I was convinced Bennett would not be coaching us next year for a variety of reasons but looks like I was wrong all along.

I think I owe big apologies to a few people, in particular - John1420, Dee, Huge and Cult3. Sorry lads if I got a bit carried away in my views, you were correct about Wayne and 2019 and I was obviously way off.

I still have my doubts as to if it can work out next year but the only thing I/we can, and should do now, is get behind the team and coach 100%!

Last edited:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Notice how certain media people have sources at one or two clubs and @readingtheplay, some random bloke on the internet seems to have “sources” at every single club
Yeah he's full of shit. I don't mind people pretending to have rumours, but all their "rumours" they present as forgone conclusions.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
This is a negotiation tactic from Bennett, if ya'll aren't aware.

Who benefits the most from Bennett "wanting to stay"? Wayne, of course. If there's a perception in the media & public that he wants to stay, the Broncos lose all leverage in buyout negotiations with him. If he spoke (what I'm assuming is) the truth and told the Broncos that he wants to go to Souths with a full pay-out, we could negotiate a middle ground where he gets a marginally reduced pay-out & an early move to Souths.

Scenario A -

White: "How about we give you 75% of the final year of your contract and you get your wish of moving to Souths a year early?"
Bennett: "Yeah, fair enough."

Scenario B (current) -

White: "How about we give you 75% of the final year of your contract and you go to Souths a year early?"
Bennett: "That's not acceptable, because I really want to stay at the Broncos.. :)"
6 weeks later

White: "Fine, here is 100%, now **** off."

Just to double check, am I the only person who thinks this is what's happening? My prediction is that this will re-surface in 2-6 weeks and we'll eventually cave and give him the full buyout he wants.

Unread

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • levikaden
  • Socnorb
  • mitch222
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fozz
  • Lurker
  • Broncorob
  • Horseheadsup
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.