MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
It seems Wayne wants to stay with though.
Yes I am sure he does. Not sure if the board really want him to stay though. Having shareholders to answer to paying out $1m would not go down well. So we keep WB. At least recruitment appears to be out of his hands.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/11/24/broncos-reaffirm-coaching-future/

Broncos Reaffirm Coaching Future

Author
broncos.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 24 Nov 2018, 02:44 PM

The Brisbane Broncos reaffirm that Wayne Bennett is coach for the 2019 season.
Despite widespread speculation, the club has been consistent in asserting that Bennett will see out his contract in 2019 - and has been preparing for the season as such.
Broncos Chairman Karl Morris met with Bennett today to again state that fact, with the club releasing the following statement after the meeting: "Wayne Bennett is our coach for 2019, as we have stated repeatedly over the past year."
If follows a public statement by Morris on September 25 this year, saying he and Bennett "agreed the coach would see out his current contract to the end of 2019".
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/09/25/club-statement-broncos-coaching-future/
Again on October 31, the club released a statement saying "Bennett was committed to seeing out his final year as Broncos coach in 2019 – and the club is looking forward to celebrating Wayne's last season at the Broncos".
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/10/31/broncos-announce-coaching-future/
Speaking after today's meeting, Bennett told nrl.com.au: "I had a meeting with the Chairman this morning and I asked him what was happening in 2019 and he said 'nothing has changed Wayne. I gave you a commitment you would be here in 2019 and that is the way it is going to remain'.
"This is a young team and it is going to be exciting. It will be a challenge in what is a long footy season but they have got some games behind them now some of those younger players. I am pretty optimistic we can have a good season and with a bit of luck who knows what we can do.
"It was always sorted out in my mind. I had never wavered about the fact that I did not want to leave the Broncos but it is nice that the chairman has said again, as he did in the past, that I am here until 2019.
"There were a lot of rumours and innuendo flying around but the bottom line is that he has put that to rest and we can all move forward."

Last edited:
Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
On the upside, Wayne can't gaurantee Thaiday a spot every week. On the down side, he will likely for for Boyd, Nikorima and McCoullough. I sincerely hope he leaves now.

Who can replace Macca? He's about to play in his second season coming off an ACL injury. It usually takes players a full season to fully get over them (RTS for example: he was crap in 2017 coming off an ACL reco and then was unreal in 2018). Besides, Staggs should be in the 14 (assuming Niko is HB) because he covers more positions and would have more impact than a second hooker like Turpin on the bench.

On Niko, he was playing well for NZ and we don't really know if SOS or the alternatives are ready for the step up yet.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
We're both playing 4D chess here, Bennett tried to bluff us by saying he wants to stay here, we called his bluff and released an announcement that we're moving forward with him in 2019.

Who will blink first? WILL ANYONE BLINK? Tune in next week.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/11/24/broncos-reaffirm-coaching-future/

Broncos Reaffirm Coaching Future

Author
broncos.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 24 Nov 2018, 02:44 PM

The Brisbane Broncos reaffirm that Wayne Bennett is coach for the 2019 season.
Despite widespread speculation, the club has been consistent in asserting that Bennett will see out his contract in 2019 - and has been preparing for the season as such.
Broncos Chairman Karl Morris met with Bennett today to again state that fact, with the club releasing the following statement after the meeting: "Wayne Bennett is our coach for 2019, as we have stated repeatedly over the past year."
If follows a public statement by Morris on September 25 this year, saying he and Bennett "agreed the coach would see out his current contract to the end of 2019".

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/09/25/club-statement-broncos-coaching-future/
Again on October 31, the club released a statement saying "Bennett was committed to seeing out his final year as Broncos coach in 2019 – and the club is looking forward to celebrating Wayne's last season at the Broncos".
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/10/31/broncos-announce-coaching-future/
Speaking after today's meeting, Bennett told nrl.com.au: "I had a meeting with the Chairman this morning and I asked him what was happening in 2019 and he said 'nothing has changed Wayne. I gave you a commitment you would be here in 2019 and that is the way it is going to remain'.
"This is a young team and it is going to be exciting. It will be a challenge in what is a long footy season but they have got some games behind them now some of those younger players. I am pretty optimistic we can have a good season and with a bit of luck who knows what we can do.
"It was always sorted out in my mind. I had never wavered about the fact that I did not want to leave the Broncos but it is nice that the chairman has said again, as he did in the past, that I am here until 2019.
"There were a lot of rumours and innuendo flying around but the bottom line is that he has put that to rest and we can all move forward."

this is basically the club going "we told ya so"

by my count this is the 3rd time this year, Badel has been made to look foolish (and that is being polite), by the club ... he really should find something different to report on as his strike rate, reporting on the Broncos is only getting poorer by the second

Last edited:
Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018

by my count this is the 3rd time this year, Badel has been made to look foolish (and that is being polite), by the club ... he really should find something different to report on as his strike rate, reporting on the Broncos is only getting poorer by the second
Everyone knows that Badel is an anagram for 'complete and utter bastard' right?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

I'm happy to be alone on this island, because it's a bit of a tinfoil hat one, but I'm pretty confident we're both playing mind games, the club and Bennett.

It's a game of cat and mouse, Bennett is trying to bluff us, he desperately wants us to fire him and give him a full payout, the only way he sees us doing that is if we get desperate as the pre-season gets under way (which may work), we're calling his bluff for the time being, in hopes that he'll eventually cave and accept whatever buyout we have offered him (Presumably 50-75% of his contract value).

There's still absolutely a scenario in which Bennett coaches us next season, if neither party blinks and it's left too late to be a viable move for us. But I'm still backing Bennett to be gone by early 2019, before the proper pre-season starts. I think Bennett will eventually get his way, and we'll cave, giving him his full payout.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I'm happy to be alone on this island, because it's a bit of a tinfoil hat one, but I'm pretty confident we're both playing mind games, the club and Bennett.

It's a game of cat and mouse, Bennett is trying to bluff us, he desperately wants us to fire him and give him a full payout, the only way he sees us doing that is if we get desperate as the pre-season gets under way (which may work), we're calling his bluff for the time being, in hopes that he'll eventually cave and accept whatever buyout we have offered him (Presumably 50-75% of his contract value).

There's still absolutely a scenario in which Bennett coaches us next season, if neither party blinks and it's left too late to be a viable move for us. But I'm still backing Bennett to be gone by early 2019, before the proper pre-season starts. I think Bennett will eventually get his way, and we'll cave, giving him his full payout.
Remember when you commented that I made a similar comment 4 or 5 times? You’ve literally commented the same thing four times today

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Remember when you commented that I made a similar comment 4 or 5 times? You’ve literally commented the same thing four times today

Yes, except I'm doing it in a single thread designed to discuss the topic, you post the same crap all over the place.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Yes, except I'm doing it in a single thread designed to discuss the topic, you post the same crap all over the place.
Yeah because mine totally wasn’t in response to someone saying we should sign Cook. Weird justification but sure

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Yeah because mine totally wasn’t in response to someone saying we should sign Cook. Weird justification but sure

The Cook stuff wasn't the only time you've done it though, let's not forget the Milford vs Hunt blame game debacle, that must've spilled in to double digits worth of threads.

But you are correct in this instance, I have posted the same thing a few times today, just want to make sure my conspiracy theory is in circulation, I'll stop now. :P

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
The Cook stuff wasn't the only time you've done it though, let's not forget the Milford vs Hunt blame game debacle, that must've spilled in to double digits worth of threads.

But you are correct in this instance, I have posted the same thing a few times today, just want to make sure my conspiracy theory is in circulation, I'll stop now. :P
You mean when I was responding to you in every thread about Hunt, Boyd and Bennett signing? Wow ok

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
You mean when I was responding to you in every thread about Hunt, Boyd and Bennett signing? Wow ok

Not entirely sure what you're referencing, I was one of those most vocal pro-Bennett & pro-Boyd people on here at the time. You were getting in to the same argument with everyone who criticised Hunt in 2016 & 2017.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Just looking at a couple of the online Bunnies forums at the moment - there are some absolutely epic meltdowns currently occurring. They are writing next year off as a result of Seibs "having lost the dressing room" and now with the confirmation he will still be there, they have given up completely.

Apart from the lols @ souths, what do you guys think this means for Seibs next year. He probably thought he would be coaching us in 2019 and might be in for a rough year with the bunnies faithful if their year turns to shit!

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.