MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
God I hope they sign Merrin because no way would he sign for chump change.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Personally, I wouldn’t begrudge Bennett looking to 2020 while coaching us next year. He wanted to be coaching us, he stated it many, many times. But the board, in their infinite wisdom, decided to hand the keys to an effective rookie instead.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Personally, I wouldn’t begrudge Bennett looking to 2020 while coaching us next year. He wanted to be coaching us, he stated it many, many times. But the board, in their infinite wisdom, decided to hand the keys to an effective rookie instead.

Bennett isn’t young you know?

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Heard on the radio Souths officials are heading over to the UK to talk to WB about his needs for 2020. You'd think a simple email would do that, after all he signed his contract that way. Wonder if the old codger is being stubborn and they're trying to talk him into 2019.
South Sydney Rabbitohs boss flies to England to expedite Wayne Bennett move
ADRIAN PROSZENKO
Last updated 08:23 02/11/2018
South Sydney head of football Shane Richardson has flown to England to meet Wayne Bennett to discuss the prospect of an immediate switch to Redfern and how his playing roster will look once he arrives there.
Souths and Brisbane publicly maintain they are happy for the coaching swap between Bennett and Anthony Seibold - both signed to their new clubs from 2020 - not to happen until next season.
Privately, both parties acknowledge an immediate shift is in their best interests, particularly given the influence the coaches have over recruitment and retention decisions.
Bennett has maintained from the outset his intention to see out the final year of his Brisbane contract in 2019, meaning the Broncos are facing a payout if they want Seibold to immediately begin at Red Hill.
The financial difference between what Bennett and Seibold are on for next season is about A$500,000 (NZ$541,000), a sum the Broncos are likely to pay in order to begin their coaching succession plan.
Richardson flew to the United Kingdom to discuss the situation with Bennett in the hope a deal can be done before the players are due to begin their pre-seasons.
The other hot topic of conversation will revolve around South Sydney's roster. The Rabbitohs need to offload several players and Richardson will investigate whether there is any Super League interest in them while he is abroad.
The Rabbitohs are understood to be prepared to release Alex Johnston should another club be prepared to pay the "fullback money" he is seeking.
The club already has custodian options Greg Inglis and Broncos recruit Corey Allan on their books, the latter signing on for the next three seasons.
It means Johnston is likely to revert to the wing, a position that normally comes with a lower price tag. It's understood several clubs are interested in Johnston, but can't afford his asking price, which could result in him staying put.
Johnston isn't the only player the club is prepared to release. The Rabbitohs won't stand in the way of Zane Musgrove if he can secure a contract elsewhere, freeing up funds required to re-sign Robert Jennings and John Sutton.
Another priority is New South Wales and Australian hooker Damien Cook, who can field offers from rivals for 2020 after the November 1 free-agency deadline ticked over.
The Broncos are also keen to get Seibold on board as quickly as possible to shape his squad. The Gold Coast is keen on Kiwis Alex Glenn and Jordan Kahu and the Broncos are amenable to them leaving straight away if the terms are agreeable. That would free up money to secure outstanding off-contract youngster Tevita Pangai Junior, who has made no secret of his close relationship with Bennett.
If he doesn't switch to the Rabbitohs now, Pangai Junior may opt to do a short-term deal with Brisbane and then reassess whether he wants to follow Bennett to Redfern.
Bennett last week said he wouldn't be putting pressure on Broncos players to sign at South Sydney.
"That will be their decision," Bennett said.
"They made the decision to come to the Broncos because I was there and again that will be up to them. They have contracts at the club and the Broncos will have to work through those. I can't speak for them."
Bennett said he was looking forward to working with Richardson, the man who helped broker his Souths deal.
"I worked with Shane with things in the NRL at a different period of time. He's a great thinker," Bennett said.
"He came to Sydney with John Long and did great a great job with the Sharks, he went from the Sharks to Penrith and won a premiership there and went from Penrith back to South Sydney. When he went there, they were not the club they are today.
"He has been very instrumental in rebuilding that all with Russell [Crowe] and the chairman [Nick Pappas], who is an outstanding bloke as well.
"I just like the people there."

source: Sydney Morning Herald

Last edited by a moderator:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I would like to take a second to focus on this section of the article for a second ... interesteding points in red

The Rabbitohs need to offload several players and Richardson will investigate whether there is any Super League interest in them while he is abroad.

The Rabbitohs are understood to be prepared to release Alex Johnston should another club be prepared to pay the "fullback money" he is seeking.

The club already has custodian options Greg Inglis and Broncos recruit Corey Allan on their books, the latter signing on for the next three seasons.

It means Johnston is likely to revert to the wing, a position that normally comes with a lower price tag. It's understood several clubs are interested in Johnston, but can't afford his asking price, which could result in him staying put.

Johnston isn't the only player the club is prepared to release. The Rabbitohs won't stand in the way of Zane Musgrove if he can secure a contract elsewhere, freeing up funds required to re-sign Robert Jennings and John Sutton.

Another priority is New South Wales and Australian hooker Damien Cook, who can field offers from rivals for 2020 after the November 1 free-agency deadline ticked over.

if the Rabbitohs need to release players ... then how the hell could the afford TPJ

Last edited:
GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I would like to yake a second to focus on this section of the article for a second ... interesteding points in red

if the Rabbitohs need to release players ... then how the hell could the afford TPJ

The Roosters model might help them?

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
I would like to take a second to focus on this section of the article for a second ... interesteding points in red

Maybe they’ve been told WB's expectations.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Yeah, but he still can't do work for a rival while he is contracted to us regardless of whether his feelings are hurt or not.

People are told that their contract will not be renewed in many lines of work all the time, doesn't mean they can start doing work for a competitor.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, but he still can't do work for a rival while he is contracted to us regardless of whether his feelings are hurt or not.

People are told that their contract will not be renewed in many lines of work all the time, doesn't mean they can start doing work for a competitor.

If the extent of that work is a single phone call saying what about Merrin, who really gives a ****?

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
I do. If he is still here next year then I what him thinking about our team and our team alone.

I think you're being a little bit precious. If Wayne had his way, he'd be planning for 2020 and his last season as a coach for us. He's hardly started working for South's already. In other industries you may not be able to work for your future employer but you sure as shit can make plans for the future.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
If there is any proof of him recruiting Merrin, or anyone else for that matter to South Sydney now whilst still under contract with the Broncos, i'd imagine that would be an immediate breach of contract and would allow for early termination without payout.

Something that is really funny is that if this is a breach of contract and the Broncos are able to terminate him, And the Broncos are able to get Seibold this year. Bennett could potentially be out of pocket $500k. Which would be fantastic. Because remember "it's never been about the money".

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
If the extent of that work is a single phone call saying what about Merrin, who really gives a ****?
That’s like saying “I was only doing 45 in the 40 zone officer.”
45 or 145 doesn’t make any difference to whether you’re breaking the law or not, just the penalty that comes with it.

Bennett has a legally binding contract with the Broncos that, it would be safe to assume, has at least an exclusivity and non-compete clause and perhaps even a no poaching (not relevant to what you’re saying, but relevant to coercing Broncos players to go with him) clause in there.

If he breaches that contract in any way, it is against the law, it really is that simple. Of course, it goes both ways too.

What is the point of having a contract, agreeing to terms of engagement, if one party is just going to thumb their nose at parts of it?

Last edited:
Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017
Who’s willing to offer odds on the switch happening for the 2019 season? I think it’s looking more and more likely everyday. As much as I agree that Wayne deserves to see out his contract at Brisbane and he 100% deserves a chance to win one last premiership with us I think it’s definitely in everyone’s best interest that the swap happens ASAP.

Think about the amount of uncertainty around the club this year with players and staff not knowing their future for next season. Guys not knowing if they’ll be chosen in the position they’ve played the last 5 years or even if the new coach wants to retain them or let them go. I think it’s best for each respective coach to go to their new teams so everyone knows where they stand moving forward and can 100% concentrate on their jobs. No uncertainitg no bull@#$ get down to business.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Dexter
  • Rambstien
  • Fozz
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Xzei
  • BroncosAlways
  • Aldo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.