MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
I must say, this news that Seibold has a preseason trip to the Australian Institute of Sport all planned out for next week for the bunnies, and that WB would have cancelled this trip, highlights why we are likely much better off with Seibs.

Innovative, creative, and not stuck in his ways. The sooner he is on board, the better.
Maybe will still go ahead with maroon and gold jumpers though.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
The circus that revolves around Wayne has become absurd full stop. All the Wayne supporters will carry on about it being 100% media driven, but face it, Wayne is a mercenary who plays the game to the hilt. At days end, it is all about the benjamins under the guise of his actions being about the team, the players, the organization and on and on. He will get the money he is after and then will be on his way. The sooner the better. The negotiating like his tactical game plan or lack there of has become old and ponderous.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I must say, this news that Seibold has a preseason trip to the Australian Institute of Sport all planned out for next week for the bunnies, and that WB would have cancelled this trip, highlights why we are likely much better off with Seibs.

Innovative, creative, and not stuck in his ways. The sooner he is on board, the better.
What we have at the club already is probably equal or better than what the AIS have

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
Wayne seems to advise his players to chase the money when they seek him out for guidance. Surely he must follow the same principles in his own coaching career.

He just wont admit it when asked by reporters. And you can't blame him for that really. They all do it these days.

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010

The AIS is a really interesting place to visit.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
What we have at the club already is probably equal or better than what the AIS have
Lol... what do you base that on? Can our players out-sprint the sprinters? Out jump the high jumpers? Out run the marathon runners?

We may have more fancy equipment these days (although I doubt we have half the variety in equipment, and a 1/3 of the innovation), but they specifically train for isolated areas of athletic performance and they have to keep up to date with world innovation and standards. Its not just about who has the latest bench press. Additionally, working off this way of thinking wouldnt we also have “better than” what the army has so why bother ever leaving broncos headquaters? Unfortunately this is the common (except for the storm and roosters suprisingly-think afl and wrestling coaches) rugby league thinking right there...

It may not win a premiership but 16 teams all think their pre-season program is the best option to win them a premiership and 15 will be wrong. The ideas we get from the camp may benefit us for multiple seasons & the intensity or physical exertion of the camp isnt dependent upon location..

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Wayne Bennett stands ground as Hollywood superstar Russell Crowe looms as key to ending coach standoff

bd3f5581e53cbef7327b5e5d1761ea89

Russell Crowe shapes as Souths’ final hope of fast-tracking Wayne Bennett’s exit from Brisbane as the super coach hit back at explosive claims he backstabbed the Broncos.
Bennett told News Corp Australia he plans to report for the official start of Brisbane’s pre-season on Monday – giving the Rabbitohs just five more days to engineer a straight swap with Anthony Seibold.
8575a8b7f706ae038d14786502ff44d2

Can Russell Crowe help orchestrate a civil swap?
HANGING ON: Bennett won’t back down
BOMBSHELL: Sydney risks losing NRL grand final
BIG RISK: Broncos part-owner demands coach resolution

Should South Sydney fail to broker a compensation deal by the weekend, Bennett will push on with his aim to win a seventh premiership at Brisbane in his farewell season at Red Hill in 2019.
Rabbitohs hierarchy were stunned by the Red Hill stalemate last Saturday, when Bennett – bracing for termination – was advised by Broncos chairman Karl Morris that he would honour his deal next season.
Broncos bosses have decided they will not sack Bennett, nor rubber-stamp a $1 million payout.
That has upped the ante on the Rabbitohs, who contacted Brisbane powerbrokers almost three weeks ago outlining their desire to release Seibold and bring Bennett to Redfern before Christmas.
Well-placed sources say when the Rabbitohs blindsided the dithering Seibold by approaching Bennett, Souths owner Crowe backed the club to do whatever it took to snare the super coach.
Now the Hollywood megastar is the key to ending the messy Bennett-Seibold standoff.
With the Broncos refusing to offer a severance package, Crowe must decide whether to ratify and fund a full payout, plus any fresh deal for Bennett at Souths next year – an outlay of around $2 million.
13a39d4e9919ccd3ab1f37912985f33d

Wayne Bennett is digging his heels in at Brisbane.
Bennett was rocked by allegations he planned to be in charge of the Rabbitohs from Monday, claiming he made no such promise.
“I never agreed to be coaching Souths on December 3,” he said.
“When Shane Richardson (Souths general manager) recently flew to England (where Bennett was coaching the British team against the Kiwis), I said it was my preference for everything to be finalised by that date so we all had clarity.
“That was the day I was starting back at the Broncos.
“I didn’t want to be at the Broncos for a few days, only to be told I was being moved on to South Sydney.
“I’m due back at the Broncos on Monday and that’s where I plan to be.”
Broncos and Souths chiefs have been privately attempting to thrash out a complex settlement, but they didn’t bank on Bennett digging his heels in.
f2fcfd8eaedcdb3b11f6aad2ba7057ea

Anthony Seibold has been taking Souths training this week.
The Rabbitohs potentially have more to lose than the Broncos next season because Bennett has the support of the dressing room and never wanted to leave, while Seibold rejected a Souths extension.
For that reason, the Rabbitohs won’t give up on an immediate swap, but Bennett insists he won’t be falling on his sword at Brisbane to solve another club’s issues.
“Nothing has changed for me,” he said.
“I’ve agreed to coach Souths from 2020, so it was always my intention to be at the Broncos next year.
“Until I’m told otherwise, I’m committed to honouring my deal with the Broncos.”
Badel trying to keep the story alive.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...f/news-story/1cbad426f3c08bf83fb992c0a1305fb4

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Broncos shareholder Phil Murphy warns club to make coach swap now or risk 2019 wooden spoon
bd3f5581e53cbef7327b5e5d1761ea89

The Broncos’ largest private shareholder Phil Murphy has called for Wayne Bennett and Anthony Seibold to complete a straight swap immediately or risk Brisbane finishing with the wooden spoon.
Breaking his silence on the most turbulent coaching saga in Brisbane’s 30-year history, Broncos part-owner Murphy urged hierarchy to release Bennett urgently for the sake of the club’s 2019 season.
A multi-millionaire property tycoon, Murphy understands better than most the implications of the messy Bennett-Seibold affair on the respective finances of the Broncos and Rabbitohs.
cd02819af78d445ebdb2a97ea94ec7d9

Broncos part-owner Phil Murphy wants an end to the coaching saga.
HANGING ON: Bennett won’t back down
BOMBSHELL: Sydney risks losing NRL grand final

But Murphy, who owns 22 per cent of the Broncos, also fears Brisbane could be in danger of claiming the first wooden spoon in their history if Seibold isn’t at the helm at Red Hill in the coming weeks.
“The best thing Brisbane can do is to make a swift decision, finalise a payout for Wayne Bennett and let everybody get on with life,” said Murphy, who outlaid an estimated $4.6 million for his stake in the Broncos.
“I just don’t understand why it has gone on so long. It started before the finals last season and it’s still going on.
“If anyone in business gives 12 months notice, the best thing for everybody is to make a departure happen quickly.
“I’ve seen this happen in my own business where people give notice and hang on for a few months and it becomes like a disease in the place.
“The Broncos’ players and their families can’t be relaxed if there is constant uncertainty over their coach.
d631b1fb4e95e4ae761b10b156fbb9a6

Wayne Bennett and Anthony Seibold. Photo: Courier Mail
“The players have to have 100 per cent focus on the year ahead.
“If they don’t, I can tell you that the Broncos and South Sydney will be in the battle for the wooden spoon next season if the status quo remains.
“I don’t say that to be derogatory to the clubs. But when people aren’t 100 per cent focused in a football club, you can’t win a premiership.”
Murphy believes Brisbane’s reputation has taken a hit over Bennett’s fight to remain at Red Hill and he urged the super coach to consider a financial compromise to bring stability to the Broncos.
“It’s not good for Souths and the Broncos unless there is an immediate resolution,” he said.
“The Broncos have been recognised as the No.1 sporting brand in this country for a long time and they have been very successful, but it’s no good at all for any sporting organisation to be in this mess.
“The Broncos are not just a sporting club, they are a business.
0f2de76e288984484f61a9fa8f4384f5

Will Wayne Bennett stay in Brisbane or head to Sydney?
“I’m a property developer. If I go into a council meeting and say this is what I want and council says we can’t give you that, but we can do this, at least I can come to a resolution and I can get on with business.
“I have no issue with Anthony Seibold’s appointment. It seems to be a very good move and I think it’s the best thing for both parties to get it sorted immediately. Seibold can be good for the club.
“Wayne is a great coach, but as strong as he is mentally, he will find it almost impossible to be 100 per cent focused next season on the job at hand.
“If two people are at loggerheads, you need to find some common ground. As long as Wayne stands his ground, it won’t get resolved.”
Oh, FFS.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...n/news-story/d781bb04a0549054410f9da84b95dd6d

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
3 weeks after the NRL Grand Final in 2019

Pete Badel: I'm hearing the Wayne Bennett & Anthony Seibold straight swap could be just weeks away from being completed.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Lol... what do you base that on? Can our players out-sprint the sprinters? Out jump the high jumpers? Out run the marathon runners?

We may have more fancy equipment these days (although I doubt we have half the variety in equipment, and a 1/3 of the innovation), but they specifically train for isolated areas of athletic performance and they have to keep up to date with world innovation and standards. Its not just about who has the latest bench press. Additionally, working off this way of thinking wouldnt we also have “better than” what the army has so why bother ever leaving broncos headquaters? Unfortunately this is the common (except for the storm and roosters suprisingly-think afl and wrestling coaches) rugby league thinking right there...

It may not win a premiership but 16 teams all think their pre-season program is the best option to win them a premiership and 15 will be wrong. The ideas we get from the camp may benefit us for multiple seasons & the intensity or physical exertion of the camp isnt dependent upon location..
No but I guarantee they can out-rugby league the high jumpers. The staff we have at the club are high level professionals with the same qualifications as those who work at the AIS and are rugby league specific. We might not have half the variety of equipment but diving boards and gymnastics equipment aren't really relevant to rugby league players. Every club brings in sprint coaches (despite the old "you can't teach speed" phrase), wrestling coaches, fitness coaches, physiotherapists massage therapists, sports psychologists etc. and the Broncos can pick whoever they want in the country as they can afford it and working for the Broncos is a big deal.

There is an online coaching course that Seibold would probably enjoy. Would look great next to that 2 day Harvard course on his resume.

Last edited:
B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
Phil Murphy, aka “I made money because real estate accrues value over 50 years (no shit)”, has no more authority on what the Broncos should or should not do than any other fan.

Except that he owns 22% of the Broncos. Might give him some say in th e place I would say as tha tt kinda makes him one of the stakeholders we hear about. If you believe you have as much say as he does, then well good luck to you in whatever fairytale land you choose to live in.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
No but I guarantee they can out-rugby league the high jumpers. The staff we have at the club are high level professionals with the same qualifications as those who work at the AIS and are rugby league specific. We might not have half the variety of equipment but diving boards and gymnastics equipment aren't really relevant to rugby league players. Every club brings in sprint coaches (despite the old "you can't teach speed" phrase), wrestling coaches, fitness coaches, physiotherapists massage therapists, sports psychologists etc. and the Broncos can pick whoever they want in the country as they can afford it and working for the Broncos is a big deal.

There is an online coaching course that Seibold would probably enjoy. Would look great next to that 2 day Harvard course on his resume.
Lol... then after training they can crack open a beer and have a bonding session aye... if seibold got one thing out of that course then he is better off then he was before the course wasnt he? So whats bad about that? Bellamy and robinson have also been on fact finding missions to the nfl, epl, afl, talked to tennis and cricket and rugby union coaches or legends. What have they got that bennett hasnt in the last 8 years? And diving boards and gymnastics equipment lol. We are small fish in world sport, if we dont look outside our four walls- no matter our financial strength in australia- those 4 walls will quickly close in on us.

Nobody says classic hard work and rugby league specific training doesnt work, but this desire to look at different sports and ideas is what excites me about seibold. Your knocking of him doing a leadership course is a bit lame tbh. Once upon a time the first coach to suggest a pre season army camp would have got laughed at, wrestling coaches were thought of as a ridiculous idea (i believe your messiah bennett pushed back against bellamy on this subject when bellamy was our assistant?), jack gibson was ridiculed for his love and admiration of american football coaching ideas. 99% of the things seibold tries could fail but if we get one tiny thing out of everything or every avenue he tries then we will improve as a club and as a team. Melbourne and the roosters have left us for dead in this area in recent years.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Brocko
  • Mick_Hancock
  • bert_lifts
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Mister Wright
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Wolfie
  • Midean
  • FACTHUNT
  • Skathen
  • BroncosAlways
  • Santa
  • the_next
  • Manofoneway
  • Fozz
  • Ejbroncos
  • Bish
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.