MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Lol... then after training they can crack open a beer and have a bonding session aye... if seibold got one thing out of that course then he is better off then he was before the course wasnt he? So whats bad about that? Bellamy and robinson have also been on fact finding missions to the nfl, epl, afl, talked to tennis and cricket and rugby union coaches or legends. What have they got that bennett hasnt in the last 8 years? And diving boards and gymnastics equipment lol. We are small fish in world sport, if we dont look outside our four walls- no matter our financial strength in australia- those 4 walls will quickly close in on us.

Nobody says classic hard work and rugby league specific training doesnt work, but this desire to look at different sports and ideas is what excites me about seibold. Your knocking of him doing a leadership course is a bit lame tbh. Once upon a time the first coach to suggest a pre season army camp would have got laughed at, wrestling coaches were thought of as a ridiculous idea (i believe your messiah bennett pushed back against bellamy on this subject when bellamy was our assistant?), jack gibson was ridiculed for his love and admiration of american football coaching ideas. 99% of the things seibold tries could fail but if we get one tiny thing out of everything or every avenue he tries then we will improve as a club and as a team. Melbourne and the roosters have left us for dead in this area in recent years.
The problem is that he didn't study at Harvard university. He did a course on the grounds of Harvard. Good on him for trying to better himself, but I googled something at Hogwarts at Universal Studios. I'm not a fucking wizard. Fact finding missions are also great, but we hire people who have worked at the AIS. When these people are head hunted they have 15 Australian clubs and institutes chasing them and they choose us. We are a small fish in the world yeah, but we are a huge fish in Australia.

Bennett has looked outside the sport. Where did Langer learn how to tackle? Who was Milford learning how to kick with? Wayne Bennett had a relationship with the Denver Broncos before any of those blokes you named even thought about coaching. He coached QLD when they went to the US, Australia when they played in Phili and was the England coach when they went to Denver.

The Broncos centre of excellence was modelled off the Green Bay Packers (big fish) practice facility. It has an Olympic lifting area and a wrestling zone. You think they spent 26 million and didn't hire the best people for the job? The AIS might be better funded but what success have they had over the past few years? Unfortunately not a lot either.

Lol......

Last edited:
L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
The problem is that he didn't study at Harvard university. He did a course on the grounds of Harvard. Good on him for trying to better himself, but I googled something at Hogwarts at Universal Studios. I'm not a fucking wizard. Fact finding missions are also great, but we hire people who have worked at the AIS. When these people are head hunted they have 15 Australian clubs and institutes chasing them and they choose us. We are a small fish in the world yeah, but we are a huge fish in Australia.

Bennett has looked outside the sport. Where did Langer learn how to tackle? Who was Milford learning how to kick with? Wayne Bennett had a relationship with the Denver Broncos before any of those blokes you named even thought about coaching. He coached QLD when they went to the US, Australia when they played in Phili and was the England coach when they went to Denver.

The Broncos centre of excellence was modelled off the Green Bay Packers (big fish) practice facility. It has an Olympic lifting area and a wrestling zone. You think they spent 26 million and didn't hire the best people for the job? The AIS might be better funded but what success have they had over the past few years? Unfortunately not a lot either.

Lol......
All of the bennett examples are great stuff! You do get it (but only when bennett does it, it appears)..... exactly why it is laughable that you are mocking seibold for looking outside the box but in the same breath praising bennett for doing the same (25 years ago...). Surely even you can see the irony and hipocrisy in your argument? Youve gone from saying we need rugby league specific training ideas to highlighting how we are on top of things because we go outside rugby league one reply later?

Im just a bit confused about where you stand. Should we focus on rugby league techniques only and wait for innovation to come from rugby league people (your first reply) or should we look outside rugby league and try new things that may or may not work (your second reply)? Or is what you are actually saying is “its only ok if bennett came up with it”?

We have great facilites and staff, I agree. So what? Do we lock our doors now and keep to ourselves? I am so glad you have nothing to do with our club...

Btw, so what if he did a course that was ran through harvard facilities? I dont get what you are mocking there? He has never claimed to be a harvard graduate, he has simply mentioned the course when asked about it in interviews. Should he say “at an un-named facility within the usa” or something? Would that appease you?
And harvard university is a real place, im not sure anyone has told you yet but hogwarts isnt real. Sorry to ruin it for you...

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Except that he owns 22% of the Broncos. Might give him some say in th e place I would say as tha tt kinda makes him one of the stakeholders we hear about. If you believe you have as much say as he does, then well good luck to you in whatever fairytale land you choose to live in.

Oh I'm sure the Broncos keep him "informed", and every time he wants something answered they send a Big Name Ex Player to keep him placated. But 22% does not buy you any actual power unless you try to team up with other shareholders to make a majority and try to force something through. At the moment, he has exactly the same rights as someone who owns one single share.

My point was, just because he has enough money to own a nice chunk of shares, doesn't mean he knows jack shit about what's good for the footy side of things. Throwing wild speculation like us challenging for the spoon just shows how much of a panic merchant he is. Which is exactly why the public trading side of the Broncos is and should remain separate from the people hired to get results on the football field.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Btw, so what if he did a course that was ran through harvard facilities? I dont get what you are mocking there? He has never claimed to be a harvard graduate, he has simply mentioned the course when asked about it in interviews. Should he say “at an un-named facility within the usa” or something? Would that appease you?
And harvard university is a real place, im not sure anyone has told you yet but hogwarts isnt real. Sorry to ruin it for you...

I'm pretty sure the reason it is brought up is because Seibold proponents like to say something along the lines of "Studied at Harvard", or "Educated at Harvard", like he was specially selected to study there and is therefore a somewhat elite intellectual or expert in a field of study. In reality he paid to do a course, something that anyone with the means can achieve.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
All of the bennett examples are great stuff! You do get it (but only when bennett does it, it appears)..... exactly why it is laughable that you are mocking seibold for looking outside the box but in the same breath praising bennett for doing the same (25 years ago...). Surely even you can see the irony and hipocrisy in your argument? Youve gone from saying we need rugby league specific training ideas to highlighting how we are on top of things because we go outside rugby league one reply later?

Im just a bit confused about where you stand. Should we focus on rugby league techniques only and wait for innovation to come from rugby league people (your first reply) or should we look outside rugby league and try new things that may or may not work (your second reply)? Or is what you are actually saying is “its only ok if bennett came up with it”?

We have great facilites and staff, I agree. So what? Do we lock our doors now and keep to ourselves? I am so glad you have nothing to do with our club...

I think you're twisting my words a bit there. The Broncos performance centre has amazing staff who have worked at the AIS and doing a trip to the AIS does not highlight when we are better off with Seibold (that's the original posts point that I responded to) The Broncos have similar resources already, the Rabbitohs need to be taken on a field trip to see that stuff.

The rest of the debate was about comparing Bennett and Seibold and how innovative they are. You were the one that stated only the Roosters and Storm use wrestling and AFL coaches. I said that was wrong. You then stated that Bellamy and Robinson have gone on fact finding missions to visit various sports, implying Bennett hadn't. That was also wrong. You denied that Bennett has done this stuff by claiming other coaches are better because they did this stuff, but he has done it all. And continues to.

The rugby league specific comment was about how the people we have at the club can make wrestling, swimming, weight lifting etc relevant to the sport of Rugby League. We have the stuff the AIS have that will benefit us and it's all brand new and constantly updated. A lot of the AIS stuff is irrelevant to the Broncos. I don't think a visit to the AIS is a bad thing. I just disagree that it highlights that we will be better off with him.

And yeah, I'm obviously aware that Hogwarts isn't real. Just like Santa Claus and Eskimos.

Last edited:
L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I'm pretty sure the reason it is brought up is because Seibold proponents like to say something along the lines of "Studied at Harvard", or "Educated at Harvard", like he was specially selected to study there and is therefore a somewhat elite intellectual or expert in a field of study. In reality he paid to do a course, something that anyone with the means can achieve.
I am not a massive seibold fan but i have never said that. Can you please show me an example of anyone using that to talk him up on here? Im sure journalisys would have, their job is to sell the article but that doesnt mean he or any of the people saying he seems to be a good coach use it as leverage or as evidence of his worth or intellect.

Last edited:
L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I think you're twisting my words a bit there. The Broncos performance centre has amazing staff who have worked at the AIS and doing a trip to the AIS does not highlight when we are better off with Seibold (that's the original posts point that I responded to) The Broncos have similar resources already, the Rabbitohs need to be taken on a field trip to see that stuff.

The rest of the debate was about comparing Bennett and Seibold and how innovative they are. You were the one that stated only the Roosters and Storm use wrestling and AFL coaches. I said that was wrong. You then stated that Bellamy and Robinson have gone on fact finding missions to visit various sports, implying Bennett hadn't. That was also wrong. You denied that Bennett has done this stuff by claiming other coaches are better because they did this stuff, but he has done it all. And continues to.

The rugby league specific comment was about how the people we have at the club can make wrestling, swimming, weight lifting etc relevant to the sport of Rugby League. We have the stuff the AIS have that will benefit us and it's all brand new and constantly updated. A lot of the AIS stuff is irrelevant to the Broncos. I don't think a visit to the AIS is a bad thing. I just disagree that it highlights that we will be better off with him.

And yeah, I'm obviously aware that Hogwarts isn't real. Just like Santa Claus and Eskimos.
I never said ANYTHING about this proving he is a better coach or its only the roosters or storm who use wrestling and afl coaches CURRENTLY. Read your first message and now this one and your argument has totally changed. I simply pointed out that what we have is not “equal or better than what the AIS have”, it is totally different and that looking outside of rugby league is a good thing to do. You then got defensive about bennett and mocked seibolds completly off topic harvard course in the next reply before then going on to go on about how innovative bennett has been (by using examples from 25+ years ago I might point out) as evidence that we dont need to go outside of our club for training (i think that was your point there?). How do you know we have every bit of information that will ever be relevant for rugby league from the world of athletics? It changes every day! And you cannot seriously suggest that every single one of the best people for rugby league ideas (from rugby league or any sport) in the world, or even australia, or even just brisbane (!) is only working at the broncos?! What a ridiculous way of thinking.

Not once did i say seibold is a better coach because he wanted to do a training camp at the AIS haha Can you please point out where this is even implied? I also never said brisbane should do it, but i dont think it would be a bad idea either. It in no way changes my opinion of whether he should or shouldnt coach the broncos because of the venue he has picked for a pre-season camp, but it does show he is willing to try things which i do like and i find it ironic that he gets mocked by you for doing it yet you highlight how bennett was so innovative for rugby league by trying new things one reply later...

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I never said ANYTHING about this proving he is a better coach or its only the roosters or storm who use wrestling and afl coaches CURRENTLY. Read your first message and now this one and your argument has totally changed. I simply pointed out that what we have is not “equal or better than what the AIS have”, it is totally different and that looking outside of rugby league is a good thing to do. You then got defensive about bennett and mocked seibolds completly off topic harvard course in the next reply before then going on to go on about how innovative bennett has been (by using examples from 25+ years ago I might point out) as evidence that we dont need to go outside of our club for training (i think that was your point there?). How do you know we have every bit of information that will ever be relevant for rugby league from the world of athletics? It changes every day! And you cannot seriously suggest that every single one of the best people for rugby league ideas (from rugby league or any sport) in the world, or even australia, or even just brisbane (!) is only working at the broncos?! What a ridiculous way of thinking.

Not once did i say seibold is a better coach because he wanted to do a training camp at the AIS haha Can you please point out where this is even implied? I also never said brisbane should do it, but i dont think it would be a bad idea either. It in no way changes my opinion of whether he should or shouldnt coach the broncos because of the venue he has picked for a pre-season camp, but it does show he is willing to try things which i do like and i find it ironic that he gets mocked by you for doing it yet you highlight how bennett was so innovative for rugby league by trying new things one reply later...
I don't know if you realise this, but my original response wasn't to you. Badyon was the person who said we would be better off with Seibold and that's what I have been disagreeing with and I was merely explaining what my response to him meant.

If we are going to talk about things that weren't said, I never said it wasn't worth going outside of the sport. I did say we already bring in plenty of trainers from different sports who relate their sport to rugby league.

The examples were old, but that's only if you take out the Milford/AFL example and the wrestling examples. Also the examples of him traveling to the US with rep teams recently. I don't think the Broncos have all the answers. Again, I didn't say going to the AIS is a bad idea. I did imply that not going to the AIS wouldn't really be a problem though. It would be a ridiculous way of thinking if any of that was what I said.

I only highlighted Bennetts innovation because you decided to point out that Robinson and Bellamy went on fact finding missions and followed that up by asking what they have that Bennett doesn't. Bennett has also spoken to other coaches, Brad Thorn is another example. You brought up Bennett, mate. Not me.

I have only mocked the Harvard thing. Nothing else about Seibold has been mocked. If numerous Bennett fans used a lie to justify his signing I'd disagree with that too. On that note, I'm out. Good chat

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
At least you two are having a reasonably respectful debate, well done @Cult3 and @Lockysillegitimatechild .
Maybe so but you call me pigheaded lol. There's plenty stubbornness on this forum to go around.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Which one of you guys is Daniel Dowell? He is on twitter telling some random people he is the one who broke the news on here of the email from bennetts Mrs? Guy seems to have all the links
He is the cousin of Kotoni Staggs and is somehow related to every indigenous athlete in the country.
FB IMG 1530706008828

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Harry Sack
  • jarro65
  • Maroon4life
  • Porthoz
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • BruiserMk1
  • broncsgoat
  • Cavalo
  • broncs30
  • Hoof Hearted
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.