MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Thanks for the input, not that I asked for it, when I do, I will flush. My opinion remains the same, he is playing games. I have been watching him for 43 or so years now.

I accept that you are a WB enthusiast, and your views are coloured by that. He goes to bizarre lengths to avoid having any contact with the press on two occasions this week and then suddenly this article appears with a pointed message from Wayne. You believe your version, I will believe mine.
It's a forum, everyone's imput is supposedly welcome. You seem to infer that while my views are coloured, yours are not! You have no evidence that he sought out a journo only the claim by that same journo that WB was interviewed by him. I haven't seen anything that qualifies as bizarre except posters adding 2+2 to achieve 13. I'll stick with the evidence and you can run with your calculator.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
I'm talking about the media! They should face the media and clear the air instead of it just coming from Bennett.
Where do you think we all read that Wayne was staying? The media!

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Calling your boss out in public as being "missing in action", is really poor form by WB.

And the fans aren't going to put up with his shit for much longer.

If a player calls Bennett out in public they pretty quickly get shown the door.

WB needs to be fucked off immediately.

He has never let a club be in better shape the year after he leaves than when he started.

Old mate may get us to the finals next year, but is going to be cancer for the long future if the club if he coaches in 19.

WB needs to be straight up sacked for insubordination, contract ripped up, and play it out in court. If he gets too cute, that's exactly where it will go.
I didn't hear WB call out anyone. I don't give weight to one scumbags assertion that he did so. When I hear it from WBs mouth then I'll believe it but up until then it's hearsay. Sacked for insubordination ha ha, what do you think this is, the armed forces? Fans won't put up with this? You underestimate how many of us are not going to take the establishments side, many of us just see a guy being relentlessly hounded and handling it better than most.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Broncos prepare to capitalise on Bennett's farewell season

Mon 26 Nov 2018, 05:43 PM

The only way Wayne Bennett won't get to enjoy a Johnathan Thurston-type farewell season with the Broncos next year is if the seven-time premiership winning coach has a change of heart and quits Brisbane to start his next job at South Sydney 12 months early. The Broncos have repeatedly made it clear that Bennett won't be sacked to enable an immediate swap with Anthony Seibold and Rabbitohs officials insist they have no issue with Seibold remaining in charge at Redfern for 2019.

While anyone who follows the Telstra Premiership would know that there remains the possibility a coaching exchange could be negotiated for next year, that appears to be diminishing with each day. The resumption of training for the full squads of each club is set for next Monday. Seibold has organised a pre-season training camp for Souths players at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra and while that will be cancelled if Bennett takes over it is still set to go ahead at this stage.

Those close to the situation had thought it was almost certain Bennett would start at Souths next week but now concede it is no more than a 50 per cent chance of happening. Bennett's antics at Broncos HQ last Thursday, in which he spent several hours in his office before evading the media by sneaking out a back door and hiding in the backseat a car driven by long-serving Brisbane trainer Tony Spencer, have prompted suggestions he was expecting to be sacked. He described his actions as "entertainment" in text messages later sent to reporters, giving the impression it may have been his final act as Broncos coach.

However, a brief meeting with Brisbane chairman Karl Morris put paid to that prospect and the Broncos issued a statement in which it was noted that has been a view they have consistently stated since the decision was made that 2019 would be Bennett's last season at the club. Bennett and the Broncos hierarchy may no longer see eye-to-eye but besides his re-enactment of Escape from Alcatraz last Thursday it has been business as usual at Red Hill.

CEO Paul White was in Papua New Guinea meeting with Oil Search about their partnership with Brisbane's NRL Women's team, while other officials were making a presentation to sponsors. Broncos officials even believe there will be commercial benefits from Bennett remaining at the club he has taken to six premierships as each game will be a farewell for the game's longest serving and most successful coach similar to that enjoyed by Thurston in his final playing season this year.

More than 30,000 fans attended a Thursday night match at Suncorp Stadium against Souths at the height of Bennett's feud with Brisbane's management after he and White held rival barbecues, so the coaching saga certainly isn't expected to impact on crowds or sponsors. From his point of view, Bennett insists he has never considered walking away and wants to coach Brisbane next season. He has a good relationship with the Broncos playing group and they remain keen to continue playing under him.

Any fear that Bennett could poach players appears to be unfounded as almost all of the squad are signed beyond next season and he is set to inherit a strong roster at Souths in 2020, with hooker Damien Cook and the Burgess twins, George and Tom, expected to re-sign. Rabbitohs players are also happy to continue playing under Seibold, who took them to within one win of the grand final in his first season as an NRL head coach. Souths players were disappointed that Seibold made the decision to leave for Brisbane in 2020 but only because they regard him highly and enjoyed playing under him this year.

Seibold's actions are no different to Sam Burgess playing out the 2014 season after signing with English rugby union club Bath or Angus Crichton remaining at Redfern this season after announcing 12 months ago that he was joining Sydney Roosters next year. Souths officials were also disappointed by Seibold's decision after being taken by surprise when he turned down the offer of a contract extension to pursue the Broncos job but are confident they can continue to work with him.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/26...re-to-capitalise-on-bennetts-farewell-season/

Last edited:
L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I didn't hear WB call out anyone. I don't give weight to one scumbags assertion that he did so. When I hear it from WBs mouth then I'll believe it but up until then it's hearsay. Sacked for insubordination ha ha, what do you think this is, the armed forces? Fans won't put up with this? You underestimate how many of us are not going to take the establishments side, many of us just see a guy being relentlessly hounded and handling it better than most.
Why are you calling baydon a scumbag? You for real? Its a bloody internet forum...

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
It's a forum, everyone's imput is supposedly welcome. You seem to infer that while my views are coloured, yours are not! You have no evidence that he sought out a journo only the claim by that same journo that WB was interviewed by him. I haven't seen anything that qualifies as bizarre except posters adding 2+2 to achieve 13. I'll stick with the evidence and you can run with your calculator.

By the way it is `input'.

Your evidence being what? You pull this routine all of the time. Your statement was:

`Maybe he didn't do an interview, maybe that's what an interviewer called it when he asked WB the same question yet again and WB had a crack at them.'

I have some very bad news for you. That is not evidence, that is an opinion which actually flies in the face of the known facts, something that I thought you despised? I am very, very surprised you would take the approach of calling an opinion evidence. I would have thought we could have expected that you would apply the same detailed forensic analysis that you do to those posts that you disagree with, to your own musings?

It flies in the fact of the known facts because the journalist states in the article:

“They have gone missing in action,” Bennett declared in an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph.

Now if that was not true, do you not think that Bennett would be seeking a retraction, calling them out for printing something he did not say?

If this was said by WB, how can you not consider this pot stirring by him:

But because (the media) can’t get access to the chairman (Morris) and they can’t get access to the chief executive (White), they have gone missing in action, I am out there trying to defend the indefensible.

“I don’t want to be in that situation because I haven’t been party to the boardroom decisions and other discussions.
“I’d rather do a runner and get that headline then stand in front of a camera and lie.

“The comment I hate most of all is no comment. I just leaves everyone feeling empty.'

At the very least that is one of the best examples of hyperbole I have seen in recent times.

What is the indefensible thing that WB is so stridently defending? Is it the decision of the Board to not give the coach an extension on his contract? Is that the indefensible thing? If so, how is he defending it.

Is it signing a new coach for 2020, something they had apparently told him earlier in the year that they were going to look at doing. Is that indefensible?

Just out of interest @Huge, can you honestly say that you believe that the manner in which WB conducted himself last week was professional and portrayed the organisation in a good light?

WB has been coaching since 1976 and dealing with the media over that entire time. He does not say anything to the media that he does not want to say. If he does not want to speak to them, he doesn't. When he does, he usually has a reason for doing so. What do you think his reason was for the contents of that article?

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
I think it's likely that both the media and the Broncos feeding us shit. We already know the media is just making crap up to sell papers and The Broncos admin is definitely not telling us the whole truth. Their would be things going on behind the scenes that we may never know. Everyone is playing games.

Clearly most of us are getting fairly frustrated with it. We just need to patient and hope we come out firing next year no matter what happens.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I think it's likely that both the media and the Broncos feeding us shit. We already know the media is just making crap up to sell papers and The Broncos admin is definitely not telling us the whole truth. Their would be things going on behind the scenes that we may never know. Everyone is playing games.

Clearly most of us are getting fairly frustrated with it. We just need to patient and hope we come out firing next year no matter what happens.

Pretty much completely agree with this. I am over it to be honest.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Broncos prepare to capitalise on Bennett's farewell season

Mon 26 Nov 2018, 05:43 PM

The only way Wayne Bennett won't get to enjoy a Johnathan Thurston-type farewell season with the Broncos next year is if the seven-time premiership winning coach has a change of heart and quits Brisbane to start his next job at South Sydney 12 months early. The Broncos have repeatedly made it clear that Bennett won't be sacked to enable an immediate swap with Anthony Seibold and Rabbitohs officials insist they have no issue with Seibold remaining in charge at Redfern for 2019.

While anyone who follows the Telstra Premiership would know that there remains the possibility a coaching exchange could be negotiated for next year, that appears to be diminishing with each day. The resumption of training for the full squads of each club is set for next Monday. Seibold has organised a pre-season training camp for Souths players at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra and while that will be cancelled if Bennett takes over it is still set to go ahead at this stage.

Those close to the situation had thought it was almost certain Bennett would start at Souths next week but now concede it is no more than a 50 per cent chance of happening. Bennett's antics at Broncos HQ last Thursday, in which he spent several hours in his office before evading the media by sneaking out a back door and hiding in the backseat a car driven by long-serving Brisbane trainer Tony Spencer, have prompted suggestions he was expecting to be sacked. He described his actions as "entertainment" in text messages later sent to reporters, giving the impression it may have been his final act as Broncos coach.

However, a brief meeting with Brisbane chairman Karl Morris put paid to that prospect and the Broncos issued a statement in which it was noted that has been a view they have consistently stated since the decision was made that 2019 would be Bennett's last season at the club. Bennett and the Broncos hierarchy may no longer see eye-to-eye but besides his re-enactment of Escape from Alcatraz last Thursday it has been business as usual at Red Hill.

CEO Paul White was in Papua New Guinea meeting with Oil Search about their partnership with Brisbane's NRL Women's team, while other officials were making a presentation to sponsors. Broncos officials even believe there will be commercial benefits from Bennett remaining at the club he has taken to six premierships as each game will be a farewell for the game's longest serving and most successful coach similar to that enjoyed by Thurston in his final playing season this year.

More than 30,000 fans attended a Thursday night match at Suncorp Stadium against Souths at the height of Bennett's feud with Brisbane's management after he and White held rival barbecues, so the coaching saga certainly isn't expected to impact on crowds or sponsors. From his point of view, Bennett insists he has never considered walking away and wants to coach Brisbane next season. He has a good relationship with the Broncos playing group and they remain keen to continue playing under him.

Any fear that Bennett could poach players appears to be unfounded as almost all of the squad are signed beyond next season and he is set to inherit a strong roster at Souths in 2020, with hooker Damien Cook and the Burgess twins, George and Tom, expected to re-sign. Rabbitohs players are also happy to continue playing under Seibold, who took them to within one win of the grand final in his first season as an NRL head coach. Souths players were disappointed that Seibold made the decision to leave for Brisbane in 2020 but only because they regard him highly and enjoyed playing under him this year.

Seibold's actions are no different to Sam Burgess playing out the 2014 season after signing with English rugby union club Bath or Angus Crichton remaining at Redfern this season after announcing 12 months ago that he was joining Sydney Roosters next year. Souths officials were also disappointed by Seibold's decision after being taken by surprise when he turned down the offer of a contract extension to pursue the Broncos job but are confident they can continue to work with him.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/26...re-to-capitalise-on-bennetts-farewell-season/

Time for our own fairy tale season. I think we need to apply for it by form, and have the NRL decide if we qualify for it next year.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
By the way it is `input'.

Your evidence being what? You pull this routine all of the time. Your statement was:

`Maybe he didn't do an interview, maybe that's what an interviewer called it when he asked WB the same question yet again and WB had a crack at them.'

I have some very bad news for you. That is not evidence, that is an opinion which actually flies in the face of the known facts, something that I thought you despised? I am very, very surprised you would take the approach of calling an opinion evidence. I would have thought we could have expected that you would apply the same detailed forensic analysis that you do to those posts that you disagree with, to your own musings?

It flies in the fact of the known facts because the journalist states in the article:

“They have gone missing in action,” Bennett declared in an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph.

Now if that was not true, do you not think that Bennett would be seeking a retraction, calling them out for printing something he did not say?

If this was said by WB, how can you not consider this pot stirring by him:

But because (the media) can’t get access to the chairman (Morris) and they can’t get access to the chief executive (White), they have gone missing in action, I am out there trying to defend the indefensible.

“I don’t want to be in that situation because I haven’t been party to the boardroom decisions and other discussions.
“I’d rather do a runner and get that headline then stand in front of a camera and lie.

“The comment I hate most of all is no comment. I just leaves everyone feeling empty.'

At the very least that is one of the best examples of hyperbole I have seen in recent times.

What is the indefensible thing that WB is so stridently defending? Is it the decision of the Board to not give the coach an extension on his contract? Is that the indefensible thing? If so, how is he defending it.

Is it signing a new coach for 2020, something they had apparently told him earlier in the year that they were going to look at doing. Is that indefensible?

Just out of interest @Huge, can you honestly say that you believe that the manner in which WB conducted himself last week was professional and portrayed the organisation in a good light?

WB has been coaching since 1976 and dealing with the media over that entire time. He does not say anything to the media that he does not want to say. If he does not want to speak to them, he doesn't. When he does, he usually has a reason for doing so. What do you think his reason was for the contents of that article?
Huh? I wrote maybe didn't I ? When did I claim that was evidence, clearly that's simply an opinion. A hypothetical. I can't see how you would think I was claiming my opinion was evidence of anything. On the indefensible thing, what are you banging on about? I didn't hear him say it but if he did he may have simply mispoke, used a poor choice of words, I don't know. What I do know is I won't give credence to second hand gossip. You don't seem to understand what harassment does to people expecting ridiculous levels which I believe are unattainable. You don't seem to make allowance for WB to be human. I saw what paparazzi has done to many and I don't expect people to be reasonable when hounded. Lady Di comes to mind.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Time for our own fairy tale season. I think we need to apply for it by form, and have the NRL decide if we qualify for it next year.

Has Cam Smith received word? Maybe that's why he's so desperate for a two year deal.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

My sincere apologies, when you stated above `I'll stick with the evidence ...' when you had provided none whatsoever and you had in fact only stated an opinion, led me to believe that you were asserting that your opinion was evidence. Out of interest then, what was the `evidence' you were referring to?

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
The swap isn't going to happen, so if that's what you were hoping for...get over and get on the bus.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
The swap isn't going to happen, so if that's what you were hoping for...get over and get on the bus.
If you are referring to me I would suggest you would benefit from reading what I have posted above.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • Fatboy
  • Howie
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • the_next
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manofoneway
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.