MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
As of yesterday I am officially suffering from Benny, Siebs and the swap fatigue. Someone please make it stop!!!

Last edited:
Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013
Dobbo reckons that Wayne has only signed a letter of intent, and not a contract to coach Souffs in 2020.
Also said that Wayne had verbally said to Souffs he would be there on 3rd December, and was bringing his own assistant.
If, and that's a big if what Dobbo is saying is true, I think there could be a few more twists to play out.
Let's not forget Wayne has back flipped on Souffs before and also the Roosters..

Dobbo.... DOBBO.

Remember that.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Maybe he didn't do an interview, maybe that's what an interviewer called it when he asked WB the same question yet again and WB had a crack at them . Perhaps he simply said, go and ask the people making the decisions and the reporter merely padded it out. There was nothing inflammatory about his alleged remarks unless you want to create something out of nothing. Pretty thinly veiled swipe at WB. Not one of your better posts.

Thanks for the input, not that I asked for it, when I do, I will flush. My opinion remains the same, he is playing games. I have been watching him for 43 or so years now.

I accept that you are a WB enthusiast, and your views are coloured by that. He goes to bizarre lengths to avoid having any contact with the press on two occasions this week and then suddenly this article appears with a pointed message from Wayne. You believe your version, I will believe mine.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Thanks for the input, not that I asked for it, when I do, I will flush. My opinion remains the same, he is playing games. I have been watching him for 43 or so years now.

I accept that you are a WB enthusiast, and your views are coloured by that. He goes to bizarre lengths to avoid having any contact with the press on two occasions this week and then suddenly this article appears with a pointed message from Wayne. You believe your version, I will believe mine.
Its so obvious what he has done here. I cant believe people are still trying to defend bennett about this. If he has an issue with how white and morris are not talking to the media (they have talked to the media on multiple occaisons btw repeating the same thing over and over, and bennett didnt have a problem 1 day ago) he could have simpy walked down the hallway and told them in their office. You dont call out your bosses in the media, unless you want to get sacked, a 10 year old could figure out what he did in that “interview”

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
Dobbo.... DOBBO.

Remember that.
Yep, that why I said if, and that’s a big of..ol’ dobbo..lol.
Have you heard anything else as to what’s going on? Some are still so convinced that Wayne wont be here next season..?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Dobbo reckons that Wayne has only signed a letter of intent, and not a contract to coach Souffs in 2020.
Also said that Wayne had verbally said to Souffs he would be there on 3rd December, and was bringing his own assistant.
If, and that's a big if what Dobbo is saying is true, I think there could be a few more twists to play out.
Let's not forget Wayne has back flipped on Souffs before and also the Roosters..

Dobbo has been wrong pretty much every time he brought up new scoop so far. Only been right when he copied others.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
He basically said “I don’t have the answers, maybe you should ask the people who have been making the decisions” and people are still trying to find reasons to hate him?
No he didnt hahaha did you read the article???

“My problem is that I am not the one making the decisions here.”
“I have stated my position and it hasn’t changed.
“But I am still expected to give explanations for decisions and behind-closed-doors conversations which I am not privy to.
“But because (the media) can’t get access to the chairman (Morris) and they can’t get access to the chief executive (White), they have gone missing in action, I am out there trying to defend the indefensible.
““The comment I hate most of all is no comment. I just leaves everyone feeling empty.
I don’t want to be in that situation because I haven’t been party to the boardroom decisions and other discussions.
“Why aren’t they sitting outside homes of the people making the decisions? Why aren’t they being made accountable?

Thats all the stuff he said that didnt need to be said. Walk down the corridor and tell them that rather then telling the media. He hates no comment? Wayne bennett hates it when people say no comment to the media? Wayne bennett hates that? Surely even you can see he is talking out of his ass to put pressure on them. He was fine 2 days ago, he’s fine when he doesnt have anything to say (eg press confrences) but its a different story when if they did say something it would coincidentally be an advantage for him to get a payout? Come on now, you cant SERIOUSLY not see through this? Seriously? Asking the media to sit outside their homes, saying they have gone missing in action? You dont say that about ANYONE you work with, totally unprofessional and an obvious attempt at getting a reaction to gain an advantage.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
No he didnt hahaha did you read the article???

“My problem is that I am not the one making the decisions here.”
“I have stated my position and it hasn’t changed.
“But I am still expected to give explanations for decisions and behind-closed-doors conversations which I am not privy to.
“But because (the media) can’t get access to the chairman (Morris) and they can’t get access to the chief executive (White), they have gone missing in action, I am out there trying to defend the indefensible.
““The comment I hate most of all is no comment. I just leaves everyone feeling empty.
I don’t want to be in that situation because I haven’t been party to the boardroom decisions and other discussions.
“Why aren’t they sitting outside homes of the people making the decisions? Why aren’t they being made accountable?

Thats all the stuff he said that didnt need to be said. Walk down the corridor and tell them that rather then telling the media. He hates no comment? Wayne bennett hates it when people say no comment to the media? Wayne bennett hates that? Surely even you can see he is talking out of his ass to put pressure on them. He was fine 2 days ago, he’s fine when he doesnt have anything to say (eg press confrences) but its a different story when if they did say something it would coincidentally be an advantage for him to get a payout? Come on now, you cant SERIOUSLY not see through this? Seriously? Asking the media to sit outside their homes, saying they have gone missing in action? You dont say that about ANYONE you work with, totally unprofessional and an obvious attempt at getting a reaction to gain an advantage.
I feel like you’re getting worked up over nothing. Those comments aren’t bad at all. It’s a round about way of saying go talk to the people who have the answers instead of asking the same questions over and over again. He said he doesn’t want a pay out. He said he made a promise to the players. If he leaves without a complaint he will look worse for going back on his promise. Your opinion is no more than a conspiracy at this point.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
He basically said “I don’t have the answers, maybe you should ask the people who have been making the decisions” and people are still trying to find reasons to hate him?

Mate with all due respect, I disagree. If he did not have some other motive in mind for saying what he did, he simply could have answered it in the same way he has, which is, I have a contract, I have given my commitment to be here next year, I have told the Club that, I have told the players that. As far as I am concerned there is nothing more to say. If this `non-interview' `conversation' with the journalist took place after the meeting with Morris on Saturday, he could also add that this has now been confirmed by the Chairman of the Board, there is no story.

I also agree with Locky, why play it out in the press, if he had an issue, he should be addressing it behind closed doors. What else can they say in any event, that they have not already said, he is going to be here next year. He is stirring the pot, you have to ask why would he be doing that? I have absolutely no issue with WB seeing out the final year of his contract, provided that they can all work together professionally. Whatever that was in that article, that was not professional. Doing his best Maxwell Smart routine, to avoid the press, hiding in the back seat of a vehicle, that was not professional. Anyone who thinks that is professional and appropriate behaviour for a 68 year old coach with his resume, you have an interesting take on `professional'.

If we are going to have a season of this type of press reporting and responses from WB like this, it will be destabilising. I don't care who coaches in 2019 as long as we move forward and not backwards.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Mate with all due respect, I disagree. If he did not have some other motive in mind for saying what he did, he simply could have answered it in the same way he has, which is, I have a contract, I have given my commitment to be here next year, I have told the Club that, I have told the players that. As far as I am concerned there is nothing more to say. If this `non-interview' `conversation' with the journalist took place after the meeting with Morris on Saturday, he could also add that this has now been confirmed by the Chairman of the Board, there is no story.

I also agree with Locky, why play it out in the press, if he had an issue, he should be addressing it behind closed doors. What else can they say in any event, that they have not already said, he is going to be here next year. He is stirring the pot, you have to ask why would he be doing that? I have absolutely no issue with WB seeing out the final year of his contract, provided that they can all work together professionally. Whatever that was in that article, that was not professional. Doing his best Maxwell Smart routine, to avoid the press, hiding in the back seat of a vehicle, that was not professional. Anyone who thinks that is professional and appropriate behaviour for a 68 year old coach with his resume, you have an interesting take on `professional'.

If we are going to have a season of this type of press reporting and responses from WB like this, it will be destabilising. I don't care who coaches in 2019 as long as we move forward and not backwards.

Maybe some back up wouldn't go astray, they've said dick. Is it not their job to put an end to all this here say ?

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Wayne Bennett won’t walk away from Brisbane Broncos until his contract is up or he is sacked

NOVEMBER 26, 2018

In an age when NRL coaching contracts don't seem to be worth the paper they are printed on, the game's oldest is determined to buck the trend. Despite continued reports that a coaching swap between Wayne Bennett and Anthony Seibold is imminent, Bennett is refusing to compromise so that he can escape the final year of his Brisbane contract. Bennett, 68, has not once deviated from his stance that he will only leave if sacked and he's not about to change now.

Brisbane chairman Karl Morris guaranteed to Bennett on Saturday that would not happen, so unless Morris changes stride Bennett will coaching the Broncos next year. It will make for an interesting season given Bennett's relationship with Morris and chief executive Paul White is now damaged beyond repair. While this has the potential to create a huge problem for the Broncos, it could develop into a bigger issue for South Sydney given constant speculation that Seibold has lost the support of his players and bosses.

Despite Morris' guarantee to Bennett, it is understood the Brisbane chairman was in contact with Souths chief executive Blake Solly over the weekend and the guess is they weren't talking Christmas holiday plans. This is believed to have made Bennett more determined to stand by the commitment he gave to his players that he would only go if sacked. It seems both clubs have severely underestimated how pig-headed Bennett can be, especially when he feels he is being bullied.

Bennett reiterated his message to the players and football staff on Friday.
He is of the view Souths went into the deal with their eyes wide open, knowing he would not arrive until the 2020 season. Bennett had already turned down the chance to take Ivan Cleary's job at Wests Tigers because the Tigers wanted Bennett in charge next season. There have been suggestions Bennett had privately given Souths assurances that a swap would be in place before December 3, when Bennett returns to work.

That has been misinterpreted by someone because that is not Bennett's recollection. There is still a chance it could take place in the coming days but only if Morris goes back on the commitment he made over the weekend and ends Bennett's era at Brisbane. Bennett said the whole drama had nothing to do with him not wanting to be at Souths. But because the Broncos have been the biggest part of Bennett's career; he has given them 25 years service, he doesn't want the final chapter to be remembered for him walking out on his contract a year early.

While it might not sound like such a big deal in the modern game, it remains the line in the sand Bennett refuses to cross.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...8b2b16c9466371b831c94045757&memtype=anonymous

Last edited:
L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Wayne Bennett won’t walk away from Brisbane Broncos until his contract is up or he is sacked

NOVEMBER 26, 2018

In an age when NRL coaching contracts don't seem to be worth the paper they are printed on, the game's oldest is determined to buck the trend. Despite continued reports that a coaching swap between Wayne Bennett and Anthony Seibold is imminent, Bennett is refusing to compromise so that he can escape the final year of his Brisbane contract. Bennett, 68, has not once deviated from his stance that he will only leave if sacked and he's not about to change now.

Brisbane chairman Karl Morris guaranteed to Bennett on Saturday that would not happen, so unless Morris changes stride Bennett will coaching the Broncos next year. It will make for an interesting season given Bennett's relationship with Morris and chief executive Paul White is now damaged beyond repair. While this has the potential to create a huge problem for the Broncos, it could develop into a bigger issue for South Sydney given constant speculation that Seibold has lost the support of his players and bosses.

Despite Morris' guarantee to Bennett, it is understood the Brisbane chairman was in contact with Souths chief executive Blake Solly over the weekend and the guess is they weren't talking Christmas holiday plans. This is believed to have made Bennett more determined to stand by the commitment he gave to his players that he would only go if sacked. It seems both clubs have severely underestimated how pig-headed Bennett can be, especially when he feels he is being bullied.

Bennett reiterated his message to the players and football staff on Friday.
He is of the view Souths went into the deal with their eyes wide open, knowing he would not arrive until the 2020 season. Bennett had already turned down the chance to take Ivan Cleary's job at Wests Tigers because the Tigers wanted Bennett in charge next season. There have been suggestions Bennett had privately given Souths assurances that a swap would be in place before December 3, when Bennett returns to work.

That has been misinterpreted by someone because that is not Bennett's recollection. There is still a chance it could take place in the coming days but only if Morris goes back on the commitment he made over the weekend and ends Bennett's era at Brisbane. Bennett said the whole drama had nothing to do with him not wanting to be at Souths. But because the Broncos have been the biggest part of Bennett's career; he has given them 25 years service, he doesn't want the final chapter to be remembered for him walking out on his contract a year early.

While it might not sound like such a big deal in the modern game, it remains the line in the sand Bennett refuses to cross.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...8b2b16c9466371b831c94045757&memtype=anonymous
I’ve got a wild theory, not joining the tigers had nothing to do with what year he would have started there and had ALOT more to do with how shit the club is ran. The club has 5 home grounds, the 2 “spiritual” home grounds have worse facilities then a run down caravan park, they have the worst training facilites and recources in the nrl, no support staff, half the club is broke and both former clubs hate each other, plus their roster has no chance of a premiership in the next 3 (or even 10) years. Plus they wouldnt have paid as much as souths.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
They said LITERALLY the day before that Wayne was staying. What more confirmation does he want?

I'm talking about the media! They should face the media and clear the air instead of it just coming from Bennett.

badyon

badyon

QCup Player
Feb 8, 2014
Calling your boss out in public as being "missing in action", is really poor form by WB.

And the fans aren't going to put up with his shit for much longer.

If a player calls Bennett out in public they pretty quickly get shown the door.

WB needs to be fucked off immediately.

He has never let a club be in better shape the year after he leaves than when he started.

Old mate may get us to the finals next year, but is going to be cancer for the long future if the club if he coaches in 19.

WB needs to be straight up sacked for insubordination, contract ripped up, and play it out in court. If he gets too cute, that's exactly where it will go.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I'm talking about the media! They should face the media and clear the air instead of it just coming from Bennett.
They have! And wayne reads from the exact same playbook as what he is now complaining about. Why do you think that is? Think about it, what possible reason would he want this to happen? Perhaps it may benefit him in negotiations if they were under pressure?

Last edited:
GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
He has never let a club be in better shape the year after he leaves than when he started.
Really the Raiders went down hill in the coming seasons with the foundation work he and Don Furner laid down for the future of the club?

Active Now

• Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manofoneway
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Santa
  • Strop
  • Galah
  • leon.bott
  • bb_gun
  • Battler
  • Dexter
  • Bish
  • Lostboy
  • teampjta
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.