MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Mate, I love Bennett (I mean I think that is obvious) but even I think that is too rose-tinted lol.

I know. And there would potentially be a heap of backlash if the re-signed players thought they were lead on by Bennett.

But in the realms of possibilities, the spectrum can spread from Bennett being a money-hungry has-been, through to him being a saintly ol' softy.

Because, realistically, a lot of things happen behind the scenes. There is no point the clubs releasing information about maybe's and almost's. When a decision has been made, generally we are told about it.

Yeah I agree with that. I'm just saying that people are justified in asking questions. The club is under no obligation to give the answers or though I'm sure we would all like to know.

Why is Bongo or anyone else entitled for wanting to know this? Anyone with a capacity to think can work out that lots of things are going on behind the scenes. Wayne may not be coach next year, even though they keep saying he will be.

There is nothing wrong with the fans wanting answers and nobody involved with the NRL would be collecting a wage without the interest of the fans.

Every time he answer the question, people question the answer and are outraged at him not answering. Its fucking ridiculous.

Every time he answer the question, people question the answer and are outraged at him not answering. Its fucking ridiculous.

It looks fairly possible that there are good reasons why people are questioning his answers. Go ahead and don't question anything if it makes you feel better.

It looks fairly possible that there are good reasons why people are questioning his answers. Go ahead and don't question anything if it makes you feel better.
Does he need to hold a press conference every single day to satisfy you ...

What have they got to say though that they haven't already? As soon as Moose was leaving, we were told. We were told we are working on Oates and TPJ and were constantly told they were under new management, so there would be delays to discuss with the new management. We signed quite a number of them, and were told.

What exactly would you like to hear from them?

lPVgIf.gif

I just think the club speaks to the fans less than other clubs. Now I live outside of Qld maybe this is a factor.

The club just don't seem to do what a lot of other clubs do like announce the players in the squad from 2018 who were not being offered contracts and to thank them for their service. It seems signing announcements are delayed. I think in general other clubs engage with their fans better and earlier with information.

Maybe I didn't explain in my first post that I was distinguishing this stuff from the Bennett drama (Forget Bennett and the media). I certainly hate the media's reporting of the coaching stuff. I am not suggesting responding when the media is reporting guesswork. I recently cancelled my Foxtel for this reason. There has been a clear change in their reporting on speculation to fill panel show after panel show.

Maybe I am just entitled or wrong. It seems to be the consensus. Or I am simply frustrated about all the uncertainty.

I think the Everything's OK alarm and the board meeting recording references are a bit extreme but funny. Admittedly, I am partial to the chair with the extra legs for leaning back.

###Just read the stuff about not responding. Sorry if this is how I am viewed. It certainly is not intended. I am not sure I have ever spoken with Ostin86 or others who may have mentioned it. I just got busy and check back when I can. I come here to discuss. I'm happy to be wrong or have a different view but I sincerely apologise if I have caused offence.

Last edited:
Does he need to hold a press conference every single day to satisfy you ...

Did I ask for that? I'm happy to wait and see. I just dont think it's guaranteed that he will be here next year. Obviously a lot of people have a different opinion.

Do they expect him to answer differently the second time?

Media: What are your plans?

Bennett: To coach the Broncos in 2019.

Media: Are they really your plans?

Bennett: No they’re not. Actually I just want to be sacked so I can coach Souths and still maintain that I didn’t leave of my own accord.

Media: Really? Why didn’t you say that the first time you were asked?

Bennett: Because I am malevolent.

Do they expect him to answer differently the second time?

Media: What are your plans?

Bennett: To coach the Broncos in 2019.

Media: Are they really your plans?

Bennett: No they’re not. Actually I just want to be sacked so I can coach Souths and still maintain that I didn’t leave of my own accord.

Media: Really? Why didn’t you say that the first time you were asked?

Bennett: Because I am malevolent.

Of course he will not answer it differently, otherwise he would already be down in Redfern.

Just to be clear. If we come back from the Christmas break and Bennett is still our coach, then I will believe it.

I want every board meeting live streamed, I want every phone call between club officials transcribed and published in this thread, I would also like WB wired with 24 hours surveillance at his premises, and places he frequents - also to be live streamed.

Is that too much to ask?
I think on the last one, the tv was helping you out there, judging by WB's recent training transportation.

It would be good if the club was a bit more transparent.

For example, the Oates situation. His previous management deal ended some time ago and he was in discussions with the Broncos for quite a while. A couple of weeks before November, we were told by his manager that Oates had agreed to terms and an official announcement was expected within a fortnight, but it's been over a month and nothing.

The hold up isn't the management situation. So what is it?

It would be good if the club was a bit more transparent.

For example, the Oates situation. His previous management deal ended some time ago and he was in discussions with the Broncos for quite a while. A couple of weeks before November, we were told by his manager that Oates had agreed to terms and an official announcement was expected within a fortnight, but it's been over a month and nothing.

The hold up isn't the management situation. So what is it?

If you step back and think about what was said there, you would come to the conclusion that it was a dumb thing for them to say.

They had negotiated with his previous management, and were "close" to their deal. The new management will need to go through negotiations again. Also, he's obviously got new ones because he felt they will be better for him, so they may have looked at the previous offer, and said bugger that, we will shop him around again.

Just to be clear. If we come back from the Christmas break and Bennett is still our coach, then I will believe it.

Then does the club really need to say anything at ... Because when they do you clearly don't believe them, so what's the point of them wasting their time.

You do appear to believe every bit of fiction Badel tells you though

Then does the club really need to say anything at ... Because when they do you clearly don't believe them, so what's the point of them wasting their time.

You seem to be the only person on here that is absolutely unequivocally certain that both the Broncos & Bennett are telling the entire truth and that there is no scenario in which Bennett isn't coaching here next season.

I admire your level of trust, but also think you're being a bit naive.

You seem unable to comprehend what I have been saying.

I would like the club to be more transparent in what they are doing, but I know they won't. I believe they are still trying to make the swap happen even though they are not acknowledging it.

I have not been reading the latest articles that your buddy has been writing because they are predictably frustrating.

Hell I dont even watch the news because it's mostly agenda driven bullshit...yet apparently I lap up this bloke Badel's stories.

You seem to be the only person on here that is absolutely unequivocally certain that both the Broncos & Bennett are telling the entire truth and that there is no scenario in which Bennett isn't coaching here next season.

I admire your level of trust, but also think you're being a bit naive.

Yeah I think naive is very appropriate for some people on this forum.

D-Day for Brisbane and Bennett

NOVEMBER 28, 2018

Wayne Bennett faces his D-Day with Brisbane and Souths bosses locked in last-ditch talks on Thursday to complete a swap with Anthony Seibold and end the super coach's glorious reign at the Broncos. The Broncos and Souths have until 5pm Friday to finalise the messy saga, with the Rabbitohs confident they will have Bennett calling the shots at Redfern next week. The parties are expected to announce a peace deal as early as Friday.

It would be a devastating finale for Bennett, who is set to be denied a 2019 swan song celebration at the Broncos after 25 years of service as Brisbane's only premiership coach. Incredibly, Souths mentor Seibold could find himself in Broncos colours by Monday, finally drawing the curtain on the most toxic coaching drama in Brisbane's 30-year history. But amid the fireworks, there will be no player exodus from Red Hill.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos have completed a $2 million retention coup by securing Matt Lodge, Tevita Pangai Jr and Corey Oates, scuppering any chance of the key trio following Bennett to the Rabbitohs. The big-name triumvirate have agreed to terms on new deals, with the Broncos waiting for the dust to settle on the Bennett-Seibold affair before a formal announcement next week.

It is understood Pangai Jr and Oates will sign 12-month extensions, while Brisbane have been discussing a multi-year contract with Lodge ranging from two to four years. There were fears the trio could be lost to the Broncos; Oates said two months ago he would quit if Bennett left, but if the super coach leaves the club in the coming days, he will go alone. Just last Saturday, Bennett was convinced he would be coaching the Broncos next season after a three-minute meeting with chairman Karl Morris failed to result in his termination. But Souths were determined to expedite the straight swap, bringing the rival NRL clubs back to the negotiating table in recent days.

Broncos chairman Morris and CEO Paul White will not sack Bennett. Instead, the Rabbitohs have made moves to request a release for Bennett which, if accepted, would clear the path for Seibold to step into the Red Hill hot seat. Under the latest proposal, the Rabbitohs would pick up Bennett's Broncos salary for 2019 around $1 million; while Brisbane would inherit Seibold's Souths deal. Bennett could still torpedo the whole process by refusing to join Souths now, but he is increasingly mindful of the potential damage to both clubs if he hangs on at the Broncos for another 12 months.

If Bennett rejects the transfer deal on Friday, he will report for Broncos training on Monday, but the Rabbitohs were privately confident the 68-year-old will declare peace. Adding to the complexity, the parties are also discussing employment for ancillary staff. Bennett's current assistant Jason Demetriou is expected to join him at Redfern, while Seibold will bring right-hand man Peter Gentle and conditioning coach Paul Devlin to Red Hill.

Broncos skipper Darius Boyd said last week Brisbane players would have no issue working with Seibold. You have to take a business approach, he said. It's a business these days and coaches are not immune to it. I'd love to be coached by Wayne for the rest of my career but I have nothing against Anthony Seibold, as players we'll get on with the job.

Last edited:

It’s blokes like you that keep those muck raking flogs in the media employed. You’ve fallen for it, if you like jumping at shadows go ahead if it makes you feel better.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Bronx48
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Manofoneway
  • bb_gun
  • Broncs1459
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Dash
  • Dexter
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • theshed
  • Redfern_1980
  • whykickamoocow
  • kman
  • cento
  • Foordy
  • levikaden
  • Behold
  • Xarr
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.