MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Brisbane and South Sydney expected to finally announce a swap deal for Wayne Bennett and Anthony Seibold
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail21 minutes ago
Subscriber only
Wayne Bennett faces his D-Day with Brisbane and Souths bosses locked in last-ditch talks on Thursday to complete a swap with Anthony Seibold and end the super coach’s glorious reign at the Broncos.
The Broncos and Souths have until 5pm Friday to finalise the messy saga, with the Rabbitohs confident they will have Bennett calling the shots at Redfern next week.
The parties are expected to announce a peace deal as early as Friday.
It would be a devastating finale for Bennett, who is set to be denied a 2019 swan song celebration at the Broncos after 25 years of service as Brisbane’s only premiership coach.
c19a2664c8a8ab58b7a91b659da00054

It has been a miserable end to Bennett’s time with Brisbane. (Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)
Incredibly, Souths mentor Seibold could find himself in Broncos colours by Monday, finally drawing the curtain on the most toxic coaching drama in Brisbane’s 30-year history.
But amid the fireworks, there will be no player exodus from Red Hill.
The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos have completed a $2 million retention coup by securing Matt Lodge, Tevita Pangai Jr and Corey Oates — scuppering any chance of the key trio following Bennett to the Rabbitohs.
The big-name triumvirate have agreed to terms on new deals, with the Broncos waiting for the dust to settle on the Bennett-Seibold affair before a formal announcement next week.
1e1098b361e21b8ffc3c8a360a46ce4e

Brisbane should come through the upheaval in good shape. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
It is understood Pangai Jr and Oates will sign 12-month extensions, while Brisbane have been discussing a multi-year contract with Lodge ranging from two to four years.
There were fears the trio could be lost to the Broncos — Oates said two months ago he would quit if Bennett left — but if the super coach leaves the club in the coming days, he will go alone.
Just last Saturday, Bennett was convinced he would be coaching the Broncos next season after a three-minute meeting with chairman Karl Morris failed to result in his termination.
But Souths were determined to expedite the straight swap, bringing the rival NRL clubs back to the negotiating table in recent days.
375537e7a986130ea439af6db774e81b

The wait will also be over for Anthony Seibold. (Dylan Robinson)
Broncos chairman Morris and CEO Paul White will not sack Bennett. Instead, the Rabbitohs have made moves to request a release for Bennett which, if accepted, would clear the path for Seibold to step into the Red Hill hot seat.
Under the latest proposal, the Rabbitohs would pick up Bennett’s Broncos salary for 2019 — around $1 million — while Brisbane would inherit Seibold’s Souths deal.
Bennett could still torpedo the whole process by refusing to join Souths now, but he is increasingly mindful of the potential damage to both clubs if he hangs on at the Broncos for another 12 months.
Play Video
Play
Mute
0:00
/
1:57
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
Fullscreen
329e50775b2174725ad0f33786125746

dfb4cb39f59f9018db274c37d59489d8

'Totally not the case'
If Bennett rejects the transfer deal on Friday, he will report for Broncos training on Monday, but the Rabbitohs were privately confident the 68-year-old will declare peace.
Adding to the complexity, the parties are also discussing employment for ancillary staff.
Bennett’s current assistant Jason Demetriou is expected to join him at Redfern, while Seibold will bring right-hand man Peter Gentle and conditioning coach Paul Devlin to Red Hill.
Broncos skipper Darius Boyd said last week Brisbane players would have no issue working with Seibold.
“You have to take a business approach,” he said.
“It’s a business these days and coaches are not immune to it. I’d love to be coached by Wayne for the rest of my career but I have nothing against Anthony Seibold, as players we’ll get on with the job.”
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...d/news-story/085c95103f8548b4f9ee1106a8f44a32

Broncos chairman Morris and CEO Paul White will not sack Bennett. Instead, the Rabbitohs have made moves to request a release for Bennett which, if accepted, would clear the path for Seibold to step into the Red Hill hot seat.
Under the latest proposal, the Rabbitohs would pick up Bennett’s Broncos salary for 2019 — around $1 million — while Brisbane would inherit Seibold’s Souths deal.

Knew it the second I read that statement. We called Bennetts / Souths bluff by making that announcement at the start of the week. We've gone from being in the position of having to pay $1m to get rid of Bennett, to getting Souths to pay it for us, which was actually the result we were gunning for all along.

And that's why we're the richest club in the game boys.

Brisbane know what they’re doing.
Sounds like it’s all happening again.
Farkkk this is an absolute circus

It would be good if the club was a bit more transparent.

For example, the Oates situation. His previous management deal ended some time ago and he was in discussions with the Broncos for quite a while. A couple of weeks before November, we were told by his manager that Oates had agreed to terms and an official announcement was expected within a fortnight, but it's been over a month and nothing.

The hold up isn't the management situation. So what is it?

As a club, you don't want negotiations to play out in public. From my perspective, the club is just waiting until they have all their ducks in a row so they can announce Lodge, Oates and Pangai Jr at the same time. Further, I don't believe Oates will be signing a one year deal like it was initially reported and he'll be signed long term. This may have only been a recent development as well with the departure of McGuire being a key development.

I think the club has grown leaps and bounds in forming a relationship with the fanbase, but there's still areas where they can improve. I find it odd for instance that we don't know who is in the development squad, or even trialling for the development squad. As fans we have to rely on instagram and see that Farnworth, T. Boyd and Paix are most likely among those. Similar deal with the MM squads where every other club seems to avail theirs but the Broncos rarely if ever release the full training squad for Norths, Souths Logan etc.

Otherwise I don't know about too many clubs having their own TV show where they give you a behind the scenes look into the club, or a player podcast where the players give you an insight into who they are as people. I know there's been one-off deals like the Warriors 2018 pre-season doco, but rarely anything else.

Maybe Paul White should be more like Phil Gould and start a Twitter account? At least it would present the illusion that he's trying to connect to the fanbase, and like Gus he can just BS with the ham and eggers. Actually from all reports whenever Paul has been at those fanbase he's been incredibly appreciative with the fans and pretty candid with them. It's easy to see why he's so popular around Rugby League circles.

Last edited:
I knew TPJ was signing a 12 month extension, but what the hell at Oates doing the same?

I'll be over the moon if we get Lodge for more than 2 years. He's going to be the best prop in the competition in no time.

It’s blokes like you that keep those muck raking flogs in the media employed. You’ve fallen for it, if you like jumping at shadows go ahead if it makes you feel better.

And if the swap does in fact happen you and your mates just look silly for not being open to the possibility.

We’d be better off just letting souffs implode for a season. Takes a genuine threat out of contention for 19, plus the hangover they’d have in 2020

And if the swap does in fact happen you and your mates just look silly for not being open to the possibility.

Look silly?

Putting a lot of stock in the result mate. I don’t give a **** who is coach next year. Being in hysterics over the result makes people look silly.

Look silly?

Putting a lot of stock in the result mate. I don’t give a **** who is coach next year. Being in hysterics over the result makes people look silly.

Yeah hysterics.....cool story bud. Got any more?

Yeah hysterics.....cool story bud. Got any more?

Yes, either the broncos are telling the truth, or they have bluffed Souths out of $500k as others have suggested. A strategy that probably wouldn’t have worked so well had they held a press conference revealing their bluff but placating the hysterical masses.

If this goes ahead, it is a shame that Wayne leaves like this and doesn't get the farewell tour he deserves but I am genuinely excited to see what Siebold brings to the table. If he and his assistants can get this side to gel, particularly in defense, the Broncs are genuine contenders. It is a big 'if' of course but I really do think this side needs a new direction, they've grown stale. It just really feels like both coaches are a better fit for the other side at present. Just my opinion of course.

Yes, either the broncos are telling the truth, or they have bluffed Souths out of $500k as others have suggested. A strategy that probably wouldn’t have worked so well had they held a press conference revealing their bluff but placating the hysterical masses.

Mate I get you have not actually read a lot of what I have posted here and that's fine. I just dont understand why you are trying to have a dig at me over something I have not been doing.

It seems a swap is still very much on the cards which is what I have been saying!!! I have hardly been in hysterics over it. I even suggested we remain patient and regardless of who coaches we should hope the boys come out firing next year.

If the Broncs plan was what you inferred it was, then I'm stoked it might come off.

It sounds to me like you are just twist things to save some face.

Will we be seeing Rusty in a shit house RomCom within the next 12 months because of Wayne?

Rumour has it rusty will sweeten the deal by getting Wayne a small but important role in his next Hollywood film.

Unread

Active Now

• levikaden
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Xarr
  • Dash
  • Waynesaurus
  • theshed
  • cento
  • Sproj
  • Morkel
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • I bleed Maroon
  • FACTHUNT
  • whykickamoocow
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behold
  • winslow_wong
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncorob
  • Manofoneway
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.