MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Chris Johns urges Broncos powerbrokers to unite with Wayne Bennett in pursuit of premiership
Johns has been a strident critic of Brisbane management and was so intrigued by the coaching fiasco he turned up to Red Hill on Friday as a spectator for Bennett’s stunning press conference.
THE DECISION: BENNETT TO STAY ON AS BRONCOS COACH
COACH SHOCK: HOW BENNETT BECAME SPORT’S STUBBORN BRONCO
ANALYSIS: ACTUALLY WAYNE, IT IS ABOUT YOU

After listening to Bennett’s vow to honour the final year of his Broncos contract, Johns called on CEO Paul White and chairman Karl Morris to get behind the 68-year-old in the club’s push for a seventh premiership.
15838c1b97ff29a6c41a94ce1921bc84

Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett speaks during the press conference on Friday. Picture: Tara Croser
“I am so glad Wayne has stood his ground,” Johns said.
“All he has wanted to do is coach the Broncos and he should have every right to see out his contract.
“The issues at South Sydney have nothing to do with our club.
“If Anthony Seibold has some issues there, that’s for the Rabbitohs to deal with, Wayne should never have been under any pressure to swap.
LEGENDARY PARTNERSHIP BROKE DOWN
“The Broncos should be worrying about their organisation, their fans and their history and let Wayne focus on winning a premiership for the club next season before he walks away.”
Johns, a 171-game Broncos veteran, hopes Bennett’s relationship with his superiors is not beyond repair.
b24da8fb41b8b8ef8261be4cd57dacaa

Bennett instructs his players during a training session.
“They need to find peace,” he said.
“Anyone who cares about the Broncos is just hoping that Wayne, Paul and Karl can be united and attack 2019 as a team.
“Surely, that’s not too hard.
“The Broncos now just need some certainty and some leadership. We need to stop the political games and ensure Wayne and the playing group have the stability to deliver success next year.”

Could Johns be his PA.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...p/news-story/4c97dbca0345bc7c0e72c38230ad1a0d

WB is now that awkward guy standing at a BBQ, eating vegan sausages and drinking kulmbacher.

Hes cornered himself into a box and its not good for him now or his future career with Souths. A Sydney sauce also tells me it was expected he was to arrive next week. He is pushing for money trying to force Broncos.
In your opinion. You know, like everyone else you are guessing and your Sydney sauce(lol) knows **** all too. Love the mixed metaphors or plain **** ups like 'he's cornered himself into a box', that's priceless.

The media is so full of shit, and the articles are seriously getting worse every day.

Both sides believed Bennett had seen that the only sensible solution meant an immediate move to South Sydney.
The ONLY sensible solution, because god forbid actually fulfilling your contract is total insanity.

Assistant coach Jason Demetriou had prepared his family for the shift, his children in tears as he told them his future was aligned to Bennett.
LOL, bullshit. Did JD call Brent Read saying his kids were crying? Who's going to believe that shit. Even if he did, big fucking deal, we all tell our families shit all the time and things change.

More than one official at rival clubs will tell you Bennett also stayed because he believes Brisbane are closer to winning a premiership than Souths.
Oh shit, well if some nameless "official" from a rival club said it, then forget everything else, this must be the only reason he's staying.
Another 12 months at the Broncos will also give him time to work on Tevita Pangai Junior and Corey Oates, who are both off contract but only expected to sign deals to stay at Brisbane for 2019 and no longer. When he arrives at Souths in 2020, their new Centre of Excellence will be completed.
Yeah righto, he wouldn't be staying because he has a contract? Like it's not even mentioned as a possible reason, nope, it has to be nefarious behaviour.

invidious position as they ponder a future that seems untenable.
Have a drink people, it's "untenable".

Seibold has been told to prepare for the distinct possibility that he will see out his deal at the Rabbitohs.
Well no fucking shit. Obviously it's a distinct possibility, he did after all sign to those terms.

These blokes claim to be serious journalists and then write crap like this

More than one official at rival clubs will tell you Bennett also stayed because he believes Brisbane are closer to winning a premiership than Souths.
I mean seriously, he couldn't be bothered finding someone to quote so just says, " Well, I'm sure this is what his adversaries would say."

I thought Brent Read was one of the better league journo's but that's just embarrassing.

The media is so full of shit, and the articles are seriously getting worse every day.

The ONLY sensible solution, because god forbid actually fulfilling your contract is total insanity.

LOL, bullshit. Did JD call Brent Read saying his kids were crying? Who's going to believe that shit. Even if he did, big fucking deal, we all tell our families shit all the time and things change.

Oh shit, well if some nameless "official" from a rival club said it, then forget everything else, this must be the only reason he's staying.
Yeah righto, he wouldn't be staying because he has a contract? Like it's not even mentioned as a possible reason, nope, it has to be nefarious behaviour.

Have a drink people, it's "untenable".

Well no fucking shit. Obviously it's a distinct possibility, he did after all sign to those terms.

Well to be fair, the fact that he had a contract meant nothing at Canberra, St George or Newcastle, nor did the fact that he had given an oral commitment to go to the Roosters, so it is wonderful that he is developing principles about honouring contracts at his stage of life. it is refreshing to see he is continuing to develop as a person.

Paul Kent: Sacking Wayne Bennett still a final option for the Broncos
Thank heavens that’s over.
Or is it?
Even after all the drama on Friday, the absolute certainty of it, nothing is certain.
It began when Bennett began calling journalists in the morning telling them to stick around Red Hill. He was making an announcement.
Bennett turned up at training when he was not expected and told his players he was making an announcement. He didn’t tell them what.
They hung around after training, as confused as anybody.
Rumours went around that he had called News Corp boss Michael Miller, as the owner of the Broncos, and told him he was staying at the Broncos. In literally the same breath it was claimed he called the Rabbitohs and told them he was going to Souths next year.
Who knew what to believe.
And while this was happening, where it looks like it is now finally resolved, Bennett remains one false step from being sacked at the Broncos.
f7e0ca4226272e4a5e177de1fa57005d

Wayne Bennett will again be at the Broncos next season, despite expectations he would be swapping with South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold. Picture: AAP

There were plenty of ironies on Friday.
Bennett’s firm declaration might have actually saved him. And the goodwill of the same bosses he has been picked fights with are the same ones refusing to sack him.
The Broncos have always had a bit of class about them.
Even Bennett’s announcement on Friday, declaring he was staying in Brisbane, was the coach at his best; bullish and forthright and selectively principled.
“The drama hasn’t been me,” he said. “I know how I’ve handled myself.”
Well …
If that is to be believed then somewhere, someone is getting their wires all kinds of crossed.
Friday’s flurry all kicked up this week because, as Bennett said on , he put a deadline on a decision of December 3. This, after last week claiming none of this was his doing.
Bennett was waiting around for months to be sacked by Brisbane and, when it dawned that the Broncos really did have no intention to sack him, he began picking a fight with the Broncos to make it happen.
Stories were leaked that the Broncos were going to sack him, when they weren’t. That they had signed Anthony Seibold, when they hadn’t yet.
c8c0ad1990ec9601385edbd364d9258c

Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett announces on Friday he’ll be staying at the club next season. Picture: Tara Croser.
That they had treated him disrespectfully, when they had done nothing of the sort.
He criticised chairman Karl Morris and chief executive Paul White for hiding away, even though White walks past every flea-bitten journo with a fading Bic as he walks into work every morning.
Bennett was always the news. He set himself up as the club figurehead years ago.
Bennett kept the story humming along.
At every query Bennett has confirmed he would not quit because he had a contract, even though he broke at least three contracts, at Canberra, Sydney Roosters and Newcastle.
He claimed he made a commitment to the players, even though he has walked out on his players at two clubs before, Canberra and Newcastle.
His behaviour in recent months contradicted the narrative he long ago began pushing in Brisbane that “nobody is bigger than the Broncos” or that there is a “Broncos way”, or that he will walk away from the job when they no longer want him. All quietly forgotten.
Now the ground has subtly shifted to make the topic all about honouring a contract and a commitment to the players.
3460957efac79f30543bd8c8eaf5de37

Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett after announcing on Friday he’ll be staying at the club. Picture: Tara Croser.
But as Bennett set up his next job, determined for success and determined to show Brisbane they got it wrong refusing to extend his contract, he went a step too far.
The Broncos believe Bennett has breached his contract and they are now on safe ground to sack him, at their call, with no payout.
They have evidence of approaches to staff about joining him at South Sydney, recruitment of players and of him contributing to planning for the Rabbitohs’ current off-season. He denies this.
In most other industries this would mean immediate dismissal but rugby league, where heart strings come attached, makes that difficult.
The Broncos know what Bennett meant to the club and the city and respect that. Even if it has recently diminished.
So sacking Bennett still remains an absolute final option.
It received a new twist this week because of Bennett’s secret deadline, revealed on Friday, and because the conversations have got heavier at South Sydney.
Seibold has been frozen out of club decisions, like a say over staff and recruitment choices, since signing with Brisbane for 2020.
There is an argument the Rabbitohs have breached their contract to him and his manager is fighting fiercely over it.
23b7cfe2f3373c4b364bfbd006f2840b

South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold thought he’d be coaching at the Broncos next season. Picture: Monique Harmer
Recently it got more confusing because somewhere in there South Sydney somehow received, they believe, enough of an undertaking that Bennett would be their head coach next season that the Rabbitohs’ general manager of football, Shane Richardson, told staff and players Bennett would be coach in 2019.
Richardson even flew to England to talk to Bennett about next season, even though the public dialogue was that it was for 2020.
So Seibold and his manager were driving for a resolution, one that Souths wanted and Brisbane wanted, all aware they were at the will of Bennett.
Souths called Morris and asked for help to convince Bennett to take charge of the Rabbitohs in 2019. It made sense for everybody.
Morris told them it was their job to convince Bennett.
Bennett rightly assumed Souths and Brisbane were working together to move him on.
So much so Seibold was in Brisbane on Friday preparing to be announced late afternoon as Brisbane coach next season.
Outplayed again.
Instead Bennett announced he was staying.
It is only the latest time Bennett has torched Seibold.
The first time was when Souths headed to Brisbane in August and suddenly the local papers were filled with reports Seibold had secretly met the Broncos. He hadn’t, but plenty were embarrassed.
Then last month the Rabbitohs were still negotiating with Anthony Seibold about a contract extension when Seibold asked for more time.
Seibold always coveted the Brisbane job but part of his thinking was that it had come too early. He liked what he was building at South Sydney and he was wondering if he could stay one more contract period before joining Brisbane.
But would the Brisbane job be even available then? It was a lot to think about, so Seibold asked Souths for more time.
Then Cody Walker called him in England asking what had happened. He just read on Souths’ website that Bennett had signed for 2020-21.
It effectively forced the decision and negated Seibold’s bargaining power when he negotiated with the Broncos
At that point it was considered common sense would prevail and both clubs would agree to swap coaches immediately.
But common sense left this story long ago.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/b6e5a0878f85b36994fd8b04ee9f63ac

Well to be fair, the fact that he had a contract meant nothing at Canberra, St George or Newcastle, nor did the fact that he had given an oral commitment to go to the Roosters, so it is wonderful that he is developing principles about honouring contracts at his stage of life. it is refreshing to see he is continuing to develop as a person.

Canberra, yes. The others, no. His contract with the Knights was with Tinkler’s organisation. When that relationship went bad, all the coaching contracts were null and void, Bennett was a free agent. What did he do to St George?

JUST FUCKING SACK HIM ALREADY

No one is greater than the club, Bennett is fucking the club over and I'm over it. What it looks he is doing is putting or trying to put a divide between the players and the club so he can take who he pleases and the chances of the Broncos struggling when he is sacked is high so he looks good. I know the media is shit, but with Seibold, Souths and the Broncos all believing it was done and dusted with a swap going ahead says Bennett is playing everyone and I'm over it.

I really wish the club would sack him in a press conference where they lay all the cards on the table. If any player wants to leave as a result they csn **** off too.

The only party getting played here is the media. Bennett and Brisbane have made their intentions clear. I've yet to really study all of the comments Richardson and Souths have made, but the gist is they seem to be comfortable with the current arrangements as they stand.

The last time Wayne left the club he didn't try to sabotage the franchise, and 11 years on, I don't see why he would. From all reports his relationship with White is a lot better than what he had with Cullen.

The only real loser of this whole fiasco is Seibold I think. I can see him copping copious amounts of shit over the next 12 months, especially if Souths perform worse than 2018 (which they will).

Hopefully he isn't mentally broken by 2020. That's all we need, the Ben Hunt of the coaching world.

JUST FUCKING SACK HIM ALREADY

No one is greater than the club, Bennett is fucking the club over and I'm over it. What it looks he is doing is putting or trying to put a divide between the players and the club so he can take who he pleases and the chances of the Broncos struggling when he is sacked is high so he looks good. I know the media is shit, but with Seibold, Souths and the Broncos all believing it was done and dusted with a swap going ahead says Bennett is playing everyone and I'm over it.

I really wish the club would sack him in a press conference where they lay all the cards on the table. If any player wants to leave as a result they csn **** off too.
Bennett is such a cantankerous old git if he did get sacked he would still not go to Souths until 2020.

The only real loser of this whole fiasco is Seibold I think. I can see him copping copious amounts of shit over the next 12 months, especially if Souths perform worse than 2018 (which they will).

Hopefully he isn't mentally broken by 2020. That's all we need, the Ben Hunt of the coaching world.

Deep down, is that what Bennett wants? How dare a young coach take his throne and create a new successful era without him. It’s not beyond Bennett to be bitter that the board didn’t accept his terms and now wants to see the place fall apart.

Deep down, is that what Bennett wants? How dare a young coach take his throne and create a new successful era without him. It’s not beyond Bennett to be bitter that the board didn’t accept his terms and now wants to see the place fall apart.

I would be bitter if I was Bennett. Seibold is a nobody, Bennett is Bennett, the most successful coach of all time and we denied him a measly a one year extension.

Some are still clinging on hoping they'll be proven they were right all along. If only we'd listened.

Brisbane assistant coach Jason Demetriou says Broncos players ‘elated’ at Wayne Bennett decision

Broncos assistant coach Jason Demetriou has spoken of his relief at keeping his job and says Brisbane players were elated when Wayne Bennett declared he was staying at Red Hill. The implications for ancillary staff such as Demetriou was one critical impediment to Bennett agreeing to an immediate swap with Souths counterpart Anthony Seibold for the 2019 season. Bennett was locked in delicate talks with Broncos and Souths bosses and made it clear he would not leave until he had clarity on the futures of support staff such as Demetriou and Brisbane high-performance chief Jeremy Hickmans.

Broncos players officially launch their pre-season on Monday and were resigned to Bennett joining Souths before he called a team meeting on Friday announcing he was staying loyal. There is some relief, Demetriou said.
With all the media attention, we were unsure what was going on and there was definitely some anxiety. But there was a genuine relief in the room when Wayne announced he was staying. The players were elated and they can now look forward and getting on with it. At least everyone can now move forward.

From a coaching point of view, everything starts ramping up. All the plans we have in place can be activated now, myself and the players can't wait to get on with it and get excited about 2019. There was a great mood around the place when we heard Wayne was staying, there was an instant lift, so we're ready to get stuck in now for a big season. While Bennett was away in England recently coaching the British national team in a Test series against New Zealand, Demetriou was in Brisbane overseeing the return of the club's younger players.

Off-contract at the end of next season, Demetriou is tipped to follow Bennett to Souths in 2020, but insists he is keeping his options open, with his preference to be an NRL head coach. My priority was always my family and wanting to honour my deal with the Broncos, he said. I have another year here and I always wanted to stick around because I love it at this club. The beauty of Wayne staying is we have time to concentrate on next season. My ambition is to be a head coach but this allows me time to see what's out there and what opportunity arises. If I can continue on with Wayne into the future that would be great as well.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...b8f75231694b34a86e31a0ad3ff&memtype=anonymous

Last edited:

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Old Mate
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • Browny
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Justwin
  • kiwi2
  • Bish
  • mieko
  • Organix
  • Midean
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • eggstar10
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.