MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
DtVH142VYAE8orG.jpg:large

Seibold seems like a really angry fella. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I don't think publicly calling out Wayne is a good idea.

Is he cracking under pressure? NRL coaching is the hottest seat in the game and he seems to be taking it badly.

Seibold seems like a really angry fella. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I don't think publicly calling out Wayne is a good idea.

Is he cracking under pressure? NRL coaching is the hottest seat in the game and he seems to be taking it badly.

If everything is true, then I don't blame him for being pissed off as it would mean he's been constantly fucked around by his own club and Bennett.

The guy just wanted to know if he was coaching Souths or Broncos in 2019 and it's just been a constant shit storm.

There is only one way this will end.
WB should be sacked end of. Yes he had been a good coach but has won sweet fa for nearly 10years. He is a has been and the club is bigger than him. He carries on as if he runs the show. This has got to end now.

Agree. Wayne is living on past glories and has been for some time. Time for the club to sack him.

Very concerning. He also swore at a 9 cameraman the other day in full Rabbitohs kit. He seems out of his depth a bit with all this scrutiny?

If Seibold is our coach that the board and newscorp believe will take us to the promise land, then THEY and only THEY can now put a stop to this.

Its a struggle to comprehend why the most successful sporting business in this country would allow 1 man I REPEAT 1 man to dictate the success or failure of our future?

It’s obvious Seibold thought/was told that he would be starting in 2019, therefore why put a young promising coach in such uncomfortable/untenable position whereby he now has to go back crawling to the rabbits.

At this stage I really don’t care for Wayne and his antics. He’s clearly not our future, so again I ask why are we trying to derail our future whilst appeasing our past?

It's incredible how many grown men (players and support staff included) Wayne has hanging off his every word and praising him like some sort of deity. The man is like a cult leader with devout followers.

It’s amazing how many grown men (morons and fans included) who swallow the narrative the media supplies rather than spend their time thinking about more positive things like the makeup of the team for next year (you know, the people who actually make the tackles and score the tries).

Seibold doesn’t have the neccesary fortitude to coach the broncos. He has shown himself to be not worthy.

Very concerning. He also swore at a 9 cameraman the other day in full Rabbitohs kit. He seems out of his depth a bit with all this scrutiny?
Yep, and also last year, I can't recall exactly when, but someone in the media twisted what he said. He got seriously pissed off and said he's not talking to them any more. So that's about 3 times he's lost his cool, and if you're going to be the Broncos coach, the media is going to absolutely hammer you whenever things look bad. So far, he hasn't taken the pressure well.

Last edited:
I guess what upsets me about Seibold flying off the handle like this is a few things. I'm going off the fact the key points are actual quotes, so I could be wrong.

1. As a professional with a brain, nothing is set in stone until it is set in stone. The very same way he was willing to walk out on his 2019 contract, he should expect the other person might want to fulfil it. After all, as a professional, you sign a contract and you should be mentally prepared to follow through with it until it is officially changed. Anyone in the NRL knows things change. Just ask Inglis.

2. He's publicly bagging out a rival coach, it's just not good professional conduct, especially saying "you made my kids cry", totally unprofessional and irrelevant. Way too emotional.

3. He's bagging out the person, who is coaching the club he is going to next year. The players clearly love Wayne, his man management has never been questioned, he's now going public calling Wayne out, how will that go down with the playing group that he'll be coaching next year?

If it's a ploy to get Wayne sacked, by saying Wayne has been holding discussions with Rabbitoh's players for 2019, and WB does get sacked based on that, well shit he's going to have to deal with a pretty pissed off group. In that scenario he has essentially went public and dobbed on someone to advantage himself. In street talk, this is called being a dog.
--------

On the flip side, him being an angry bastard might be a perfect fit for our squad, Bennett has always pushed a relaxed environment. An angry boss might get better results if he can balance it right. It also might make him burn players out, he's a 1 season above average coach at this point, there's a lot of unknowns but it's a bit concerning for mine that he's walking into a 4, possibly 5 year contract if he gets his way.

Last edited:
Anthony Seibold’s stunning spray at Souths, Broncos and Bennett

NOVEMBER 08, 2018After weeks of deliberation and uncertainty over his future, the Broncos coach-in-waiting launched a scathing attack on Wayne Bennett yesterday, and revealed the emotional toll on his young family.
And in an email Seibold wrote to chief executive Blake Solly, obtained by The Sunday Telegraph, the embattled coach reveals he had been shut out of all key decision making for 2019.
He says he has been told twice by Solly and South Sydney football manager Shane Richardson that he would be coaching the Broncos in 2019, and that he had actually packed up and cleaned out his office at the Rabbitohs on Thursday afternoon.
“I have had a gutful,” he said, “I’ve been sitting here for four weeks and feeling like a punching bag.
“It’s not acceptable and it’s not fair.
Anthony Seibold has taken a huge swipe at the Broncos and Wayne Bennett as well as Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly (far right).
“I told my wife and three daughters we’re leaving. We’ve told the kids twice we’re moving and then twice that we’re staying. They’ve been in tears. We’re trying to sort out their schools. It’s really taking its toll on them.”
In the email to Solly, it’s revealed Souths:
* Refused to allow Seibold to appoint an assistant coach to replace David Furner, thinking Bennett would bring his own. They still don’t have one.
* Abandoned an off-season training camp at the Australian Institute of Sport because Bennett had asked to do an Army camp instead.
* Had been dealing with Bennett on potential new signings and that winger Robert Jennings was no longer being paid because his contract had not been registered as a result of the coaching uncertainty.
READ EXTRACTS FROM THE EMAIL IN FULL BELOW OR CLICK HERE
Anthony Seibold with his wife at the 2018 Dally M Awards. Seibold says the emotional toll of the coaching saga on his family has been huge. Picture: Getty
Seibold also revealed Bennett had been ringing Souths players in recent weeks about his plans for next year. Seibold claims Bennett had already told fullback Alex Johnston he was moving to the wing if Greg Inglis wanted to play fullback.
“He’s been ringing up the Souths boys but then tells his press conference he hasn’t spoken to anyone,” Seibold said, “That’s absolute bullshit.
“He’s rang Damien Cook, Alex Johnston, Sam Burgess. It’s all gone too far and has to be sorted out.”
As late as Thursday, Seibold was told by the Rabbitohs he would be swapping with Bennett.
It is why he has now blown up after watching Bennett’s backflip press conference on Friday.
“Shane Richardson and Blake Solly said they’re moving me to Brisbane,” he said.
“I’ve got all the text messages. Thursday week ago was the first time. During the week they told me Wayne had agreed to the swap.
“I’m sick of Wayne carrying on. I’ve bit my tongue and said nothing until now.
Anthony Seibold has no idea what kind of role he’ll have with the Rabbitohs and starts like Sam Burgess moving forward. Picture: Phil Hillyard
“Wayne has twice given his word to Shane Richardson that he’s coming. That’s what Richo told me.
“It was all going to be done by December 3. I had a camp planned for the AIS but Wayne wanted an Army camp. I challenged one of my staff members and he told me he’d been told not to pay the deposit with the AIS.”
Seibold says he is more than happy to remain at the Rabbitohs. He just wants transparency and Bennett to stop interfering if he’s not coming to Sydney.
“Not once have I gone to Souths and said I wanted to leave,” he said, “Not once. They’ll tell you that.
“I just want clarity and so do the players. I feel for the players at both clubs. It’s a joke.
“I’ve still got control with the coaching of the players which is important.
“But everything else has been taken out of my control. My complaint is not about Souths. It’s about Wayne... he’s playing games.
Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold has no idea where he’ll coach in 2019. Picture: Chris Pavlich
“I get the idea Souths want a swap and if they believe it’s the best thing, we’ve got to put the club first and it’s got to happen.
“I haven’t been involved in recruitment or retention for four weeks but if I’m here at Souths, I’m going to be judged the team’s performances and who we’ve got in the group.”
Despite reports to the contrary, he insists he has the full support of the playing group.
“We went from 12th to third last year because we had a great relationship and a fantastic group,” Seibold said.
“I wish I could show you all their text messages. They don’t deserve to be treated like this.”
SEIBOLD’S EMAIL TO THE RABBITOHS CEO

An edited extract of an email Anthony Seibold sent to Rabbitohs chief executive Blake Solly on Tuesday.
To Blake Solly,
As a follow up to yesterday’s morning’s meeting I wanted to put on record the discussion points and concerns I raised in front of the football staff.
For clarity & certainty for all staff - It had been communicated to me that Wayne Bennett had made a commitment that he would be starting at South Sydney Rabbitohs on December 3rd 2018 -
Wayne Bennett had now reneged on his promise to be at South Sydney on December 3rd. Discussions were still ongoing with him. Resolution was still unknown.
*Cancellation of the AIS Pre-Season Camp - Brock Schaefer replied he had been ordered to not pay the deposit on the AIS camp due to a potential Army Camp not planned by current Head Coach.
*Robert Jennings - Why has he not been paid and why was that not communicated to me as Head Coach? Speaking to Robert he said he was stressed with the situation and has still not been paid or been communicated to directly. Mark Ellison told the meeting he had signed a contract but the club could not register presently.
* Potential signing of Liam Knight from the Canberra Raiders - Ben Rogers replied that Peter Mullholland had contacted himself and Wayne Bennett to discuss the possible signing of Liam Knight for 2019. Liam has not been signed but Wayne was consulted on the possibility of his recruitment. Whist Head Coach I wanted an update of our current Retention & Recruitment conversations as I have not been updated since returning for work on November 7th - Ben Rogers agreed to come and see me which he followed up on this afternoon to update. He communicated to me that all Recruitment & Retention decisions had been put on hold until further notice.
Further points of discussion I wish to document regarding communication to me made on the provision of Wayne Bennett coming on December 3rd:
* Appointment of Jarred Wade as Head of Performance as a direct replacement for Paul Devlin - What has been communicated to Jarred since -Wayne Bennett has back-flipped on his promise to be at Souths by December 3rd?
* Alex Johnston - Alex spoke to me today that Wayne Bennett contacted him regarding his playing future for 2019 and his possible position change to the wing if Greg Inglis wants to play Fullback. Alex now has until Friday to let an un-named NRL club know if he asks for a release and accepts a contract with them for 2019.
* Last week Wayne Bennett called Paul Devlin and asked him to stay for 2019 and that he would extend his contract if he would stay and that it was him who was making the decisions at Souths going forward. Paul Devlin indicated he wanted to work with me as Head of Performance going forward.
* Appointment of Assistant Coach as a replacement of David Furner for 2019 - Email dated from Shane Richardson on 5th November 2018 stating - “In view of the current situation with your move to the Broncos we will not be appointing a new assistant for 2019.” If a swap does not occur I will seek the appointment of Ben Cross as Forwards Coach for 2019
Wrestling Coach - Alex Prates / Fabriciio Itte - Mark Ellison contacted Alex regarding Wayne wanting to get a wrestle coach for 2019. Alex Prates the current Souths Wrestling Coach called me to ask could he recommend a coach to Mark and that Mark had indicated Wayne was starting on December 3rd.
If a swap does not occur where does this leave both Alex Prates and Fabriciio Itte (Wrestling coach) Mark Ellison was seeking out for Wayne Bennett.
Anthony Seibold
" dir="ltr" style="color: rgb(68, 68, 67); font-family: "Adobe Garamond Pro", Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", "Droid Sans", "Helvetica Neue", "PingFang SC", "Hiragino Sans GB", "Droid Sans Fallback", "Microsoft YaHei", sans-serif, sans-serif; font-size: 22px; font-variant-ligatures: common-ligatures; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
After weeks of deliberation and uncertainty over his future, the Broncos coach-in-waiting launched a scathing attack on Wayne Bennett yesterday, and revealed the emotional toll on his young family.
And in an email Seibold wrote to chief executive Blake Solly, obtained by The Sunday Telegraph, the embattled coach reveals he had been shut out of all key decision making for 2019.
He says he has been told twice by Solly and South Sydney football manager Shane Richardson that he would be coaching the Broncos in 2019, and that he had actually packed up and cleaned out his office at the Rabbitohs on Thursday afternoon.
“I have had a gutful,” he said, “I’ve been sitting here for four weeks and feeling like a punching bag.
“It’s not acceptable and it’s not fair.
905110301d18b98e866591042acdc68f

Anthony Seibold has taken a huge swipe at the Broncos and Wayne Bennett as well as Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly (far right).
“I told my wife and three daughters we’re leaving. We’ve told the kids twice we’re moving and then twice that we’re staying. They’ve been in tears. We’re trying to sort out their schools. It’s really taking its toll on them.”
In the email to Solly, it’s revealed Souths:
* Refused to allow Seibold to appoint an assistant coach to replace David Furner, thinking Bennett would bring his own. They still don’t have one.
* Abandoned an off-season training camp at the Australian Institute of Sport because Bennett had asked to do an Army camp instead.
* Had been dealing with Bennett on potential new signings and that winger Robert Jennings was no longer being paid because his contract had not been registered as a result of the coaching uncertainty.
READ EXTRACTS FROM THE EMAIL IN FULL BELOW OR CLICK HERE
14540ab48360a5d523e102c153110da0

Anthony Seibold with his wife at the 2018 Dally M Awards. Seibold says the emotional toll of the coaching saga on his family has been huge. Picture: Getty
Seibold also revealed Bennett had been ringing Souths players in recent weeks about his plans for next year. Seibold claims Bennett had already told fullback Alex Johnston he was moving to the wing if Greg Inglis wanted to play fullback.
“He’s been ringing up the Souths boys but then tells his press conference he hasn’t spoken to anyone,” Seibold said, “That’s absolute bullshit.
“He’s rang Damien Cook, Alex Johnston, Sam Burgess. It’s all gone too far and has to be sorted out.”
As late as Thursday, Seibold was told by the Rabbitohs he would be swapping with Bennett.
It is why he has now blown up after watching Bennett’s backflip press conference on Friday.
“Shane Richardson and Blake Solly said they’re moving me to Brisbane,” he said.
“I’ve got all the text messages. Thursday week ago was the first time. During the week they told me Wayne had agreed to the swap.
“I’m sick of Wayne carrying on. I’ve bit my tongue and said nothing until now.
4fa533369188268401ee71a51ce11047

Anthony Seibold has no idea what kind of role he’ll have with the Rabbitohs and starts like Sam Burgess moving forward. Picture: Phil Hillyard
“Wayne has twice given his word to Shane Richardson that he’s coming. That’s what Richo told me.
“It was all going to be done by December 3. I had a camp planned for the AIS but Wayne wanted an Army camp. I challenged one of my staff members and he told me he’d been told not to pay the deposit with the AIS.”
Seibold says he is more than happy to remain at the Rabbitohs. He just wants transparency and Bennett to stop interfering if he’s not coming to Sydney.
“Not once have I gone to Souths and said I wanted to leave,” he said, “Not once. They’ll tell you that.
“I just want clarity and so do the players. I feel for the players at both clubs. It’s a joke.
“I’ve still got control with the coaching of the players which is important.
“But everything else has been taken out of my control. My complaint is not about Souths. It’s about Wayne... he’s playing games.
c08dde5e51e7974f8a6158a0c5cc6339

Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold has no idea where he’ll coach in 2019. Picture: Chris Pavlich
“I get the idea Souths want a swap and if they believe it’s the best thing, we’ve got to put the club first and it’s got to happen.
“I haven’t been involved in recruitment or retention for four weeks but if I’m here at Souths, I’m going to be judged the team’s performances and who we’ve got in the group.”
Despite reports to the contrary, he insists he has the full support of the playing group.
“We went from 12th to third last year because we had a great relationship and a fantastic group,” Seibold said.
“I wish I could show you all their text messages. They don’t deserve to be treated like this.”
SEIBOLD’S EMAIL TO THE RABBITOHS CEO

An edited extract of an email Anthony Seibold sent to Rabbitohs chief executive Blake Solly on Tuesday.
To Blake Solly,
As a follow up to yesterday’s morning’s meeting I wanted to put on record the discussion points and concerns I raised in front of the football staff.
For clarity & certainty for all staff - It had been communicated to me that Wayne Bennett had made a commitment that he would be starting at South Sydney Rabbitohs on December 3rd 2018 -
Wayne Bennett had now reneged on his promise to be at South Sydney on December 3rd. Discussions were still ongoing with him. Resolution was still unknown.
*Cancellation of the AIS Pre-Season Camp - Brock Schaefer replied he had been ordered to not pay the deposit on the AIS camp due to a potential Army Camp not planned by current Head Coach.
*Robert Jennings - Why has he not been paid and why was that not communicated to me as Head Coach? Speaking to Robert he said he was stressed with the situation and has still not been paid or been communicated to directly. Mark Ellison told the meeting he had signed a contract but the club could not register presently.
* Potential signing of Liam Knight from the Canberra Raiders - Ben Rogers replied that Peter Mullholland had contacted himself and Wayne Bennett to discuss the possible signing of Liam Knight for 2019. Liam has not been signed but Wayne was consulted on the possibility of his recruitment. Whist Head Coach I wanted an update of our current Retention & Recruitment conversations as I have not been updated since returning for work on November 7th - Ben Rogers agreed to come and see me which he followed up on this afternoon to update. He communicated to me that all Recruitment & Retention decisions had been put on hold until further notice.
Further points of discussion I wish to document regarding communication to me made on the provision of Wayne Bennett coming on December 3rd:
* Appointment of Jarred Wade as Head of Performance as a direct replacement for Paul Devlin - What has been communicated to Jarred since -Wayne Bennett has back-flipped on his promise to be at Souths by December 3rd?
* Alex Johnston - Alex spoke to me today that Wayne Bennett contacted him regarding his playing future for 2019 and his possible position change to the wing if Greg Inglis wants to play Fullback. Alex now has until Friday to let an un-named NRL club know if he asks for a release and accepts a contract with them for 2019.
* Last week Wayne Bennett called Paul Devlin and asked him to stay for 2019 and that he would extend his contract if he would stay and that it was him who was making the decisions at Souths going forward. Paul Devlin indicated he wanted to work with me as Head of Performance going forward.
* Appointment of Assistant Coach as a replacement of David Furner for 2019 - Email dated from Shane Richardson on 5th November 2018 stating - “In view of the current situation with your move to the Broncos we will not be appointing a new assistant for 2019.” If a swap does not occur I will seek the appointment of Ben Cross as Forwards Coach for 2019
Wrestling Coach - Alex Prates / Fabriciio Itte - Mark Ellison contacted Alex regarding Wayne wanting to get a wrestle coach for 2019. Alex Prates the current Souths Wrestling Coach called me to ask could he recommend a coach to Mark and that Mark had indicated Wayne was starting on December 3rd.
If a swap does not occur where does this leave both Alex Prates and Fabriciio Itte (Wrestling coach) Mark Ellison was seeking out for Wayne Bennett.
Anthony Seibold

Did you read the article? This is by far the best move seibold could have done. He has shown bennett up here. Bennett cant keep hiding behind lies in press confrences now, pretending like he is in it for the staff or the players-he is hurting more staff and more players by delaying this then he is helping. Seibold has proof of bennetts bs...

Last edited:
TBH mate, you’re carrying on just as badly in stating this. No biggie. Just thought I’d point it out :)
Mmmmm, I thought I was pretty consistent throughout in saying 'wait and see' and 'maybe don't buy in to the hype'. I just would like to see the posters who stated without equivocation that WB was gone, he'd be gone before Christmas, it's a done deal, he won't be here in 2019, good riddance you old ****, can't wait till he's gone, I know the future and what everyone's motivations are and I know exactly what everyone's thinking, perhaps put their hands up and say, I got that wrong.

Not much to ask, is it?

Did you read the article? This is by far the best move seibold could have done. He has shown bennett up here. Bennett cant keep hiding behind lies in press confrences now, pretending like he is in it for the staff or the players-he is hurting more staff and more players by delaying this then he is helping. Seibold has proof of bennetts bs...
I'm waiting for the e-mails and text messages from WB to be made public and should they confirm WB lied I think WB should be held accountable. I mean Siebold and the gang have got the proof I suppose, after all there's a lot of words reported so no doubt they've got him, dead to rights. Should be interesting when all this evidence is presented.

I'm not sure AS has actually done an interview or if Souffs have leaked the email in a last ditched effort to force the Broncs to sack Wayne.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Kev_Guz
  • Manofoneway
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Midean
  • ChewThePhatt
  • something
  • FACTHUNT
  • bb_gun
  • Robboi_321
  • Fozz
  • eggstar10
  • DrGee
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncs30
  • Broncorob
  • Spoon
  • Allo
... and 47 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.