MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Why Wayne Bennett won't go quietly from Brisbane Broncos

• His future will be decided at a Broncos board meeting in October after the NRL finals series. He has one more year to run on his contract but there appears to be a snowball's chance of him seeing it out.
    Earlier this year, he had wanted an extension on his contract until at least 2020, giving him the chance to perhaps foster a younger coach, just as Don Furner had done with Bennett at Canberra in the 1980s.
    It seemed like a logical plan. Another clean cut. Instead, the Broncos can't push their six-time premiership-winning coach out the door quick enough.
    Sniffing an opportunity and a dollar, Bennett is being shopped around to rival clubs by those who don't manage him.
    Gold Coast-based manager Chris Orr tried to sell him to the Titans recently and chairperson Rebecca Frizelle flatly rejected it.
    Bennett didn't start the talks, but he also didn't stop them from happening. It makes him look desperate. Indeed, the demise of the game's true supercoach has been stunning.
    Those close to Bennett simply ask one question: Why? Why is it time for him to go? Has he lost the players? The coaching staff? Do they simply want to take another direction?
    The man himself just wants a straight answer. Any answer. With seven premierships to his name, Bennett is rugby league's most successful coach, but he should be remembered as more than that.
    He should be the game's Ron Barassi. Its Alex Ferguson. Its Vince Lombardi, the legendary American football coach with whom Bennett identifies more than any other coach. He has two dog-eared copies of the superb Lombardi biography When Pride Still Mattered on his bookshelf.
    Lombardi died of colon cancer at the age of 57. Bennett is 68, never touched alcohol, runs 5km a day barely raising a sweat, could bench press as much as some players and has absolutely no plans to retire.
    As he says: "Coaching is what I know. It's what I do. It's what I want to keep doing."
    He has many faults and made many errors, as a man and coach. For many of us, the Bennett lustre simply dulled with time. But people's disdain for him should not blind how poorly Broncos chief executive Paul White and chairman Karl Morris are handling his exit.
    There's a belief that the water was poisoned as soon as White tried to sign Storm coach Craig Bellamy to a four-year deal. Bennett scoffs at the suggestion.
    When the club had done little to dismiss reports touting Cowboys coach Paul Green and then Queensland coach Kevin Walters as Bennett's replacements, Bennett called a meeting with his superiors to discuss his own future.
    He told White that if he was going to replace him he should go after the best in the business: Bellamy.
    Perhaps Bennett was being too cute for his own good, knowing that Bellamy would eventually stay with the Storm. The next best option, at least for 2019, would appear to be Bennett.
    Instead, White started looking everywhere else. Instead of assuring Bennett's future, the Bellamy knockback threw it into further doubt.
    Souths coach Anthony Seibold says he has had no contact with the Broncos, but it's no secret the former Maroons assistant is their preferred option even if he's contracted at Redfern until the end of next year. Seibold has done wonders with the Rabbitohs in his first season but he's yet to coach a single minute of finals football.
    In his first stint at the Broncos, Bennett wanted to keep his strained relationship with the club out of the headlines. This time, he seems to be in command of them.
    His side's worrying 34-30 defeat to the last-placed Cowboys in Townsville on Thursday night was lost amid the next day's screaming headlines: "BENNETT v WHITE".
    For some, the timing was uncanny. It took the heat off the Broncos' defeat and shifted the focus to the coach's 34-year-old relationship with White.
    "Benny," laughed one club boss on Monday. "He's too good."
    Bennett is the master manipulator but seems to have no control over what's happening to him this time around at the Broncos.
    He returned to the club when News Corp co-chairman Lachlan Murdoch picked up the phone and stopped him at the 11th hour from signing with the Dragons.
    Does News Corp want to push Bennett out again? It doesn't seem to be a factor. Bennett hasn't spoken to Murdoch, who did not respond to the Herald's requests to comment about the coach's future.
    What's certain is that Bennett won't be resigning like he did last time. He won't be making it easy. Won't be taking the pressure off anyone. There's more blood to come.
    - Sydney Morning Herald

I remember like a week ago, someone at Triple M (maybe Dobbo) when talking about this potentially being Bennett's last year with us, he said something about the Broncos planning to give him a proper send-off, like make it seem like a mutually-agreed outcome and spin it to be a "farewell Wayne" positive story.

That doesn't look like happening...

I could handle Tooves at the club tbh.

You'll make kyall a very happy man.

Imagine the investigations though mate!!!

I'm just going on the names being tossed around tbh. Of the bunch......Seabold, Madge and Tooves are just about the only ones I could stomach. My preference is the retention of Wayne or at least allowing him to see out his current contract.

Imagine the investigations though mate!!!

I'm just going on the names being tossed around tbh. Of the bunch......Seabold, Madge and Tooves are just about the only ones I could stomach. My preference is the retention of Wayne or at least allowing him to see out his current contract.
I'd rather Kevie Walters or Ben Walker, even Hodgo. Former Broncos who are familiar with the culture of the place, all had successful careers there (Ben not as much) and individuals who would have the respect of the players and fans. Why purchase an outsider when the best options are right under your nose?

I'd rather Kevie Walters or Ben Walker, even Hodgo. Former Broncos who are familiar with the culture of the place, all had successful careers there (Ben not as much) and individuals who would have the respect of the players and fans. Why purchase an outsider when the best options are right under your nose?

Like I said, from the names being thrown around. I don't pay much attention to the media but I hadn't heard the Walkers mentioned except on here, nor Hodges. I just can't make up my mind about Walters tbh. I saw somewhere that his winning percentage is something like 35%....is that accurate anyone? Not very encouraging if true, but obviously dependent on where those stats are drawn from.

Like I said, from the names being thrown around. I don't pay much attention to the media but I hadn't heard the Walkers mentioned except on here, nor Hodges. I just can't make up my mind about Walters tbh. I saw somewhere that his winning percentage is something like 35%....is that accurate anyone? Not very encouraging if true, but obviously dependent on where those stats are drawn from.
Kevie has never coached at NRL level so I'm not sure where your stat is from. He did very well with an under strength Qld this year and won it against the odds last year. Best available candidate out there IMO.

Courier-Mail reporting white held a team bbq at his house recently and Boyd and Bennett both refused to go. If there is any truth to this then no wonder Boyd shows no fucking leadership on the field.

If White has held a team bbq at his house for a team bonding type event to try and get our season back on track and the coach and captain refuses to turn up then I’m sorry but both have to go. That’s poor form with the finals just around the corner!

Courier-Mail reporting white held a team bbq at his house recently and Boyd and Bennett both refused to go. If there is any truth to this then no wonder Boyd shows no fucking leadership on the field.

If White has held a team bbq at his house for a team bonding type event to try and get our season back on track and the coach and captain refuses to turn up then I’m sorry but both have to go. That’s poor form with the finals just around the corner!
You obviously didn't read the whole article. The players had a couple snags and then went over to Bennett's house where they had an evening of bonding and strategy discussing.

Sounds like a club in crisis. Right on the brink of the finals. Smh.

Kevie has never coached at NRL level so I'm not sure where your stat is from. He did very well with an under strength Qld this year and won it against the odds last year. Best available candidate out there IMO.

I disagree. His SL stat sucks. I don't really consider Origin a good indicator of a coach. He was also credited with our halves in 2015, left, then came back, and the halves seemed to go backwards and was out the door again. I think out of the candidates to take the reigns at the Broncos, he's definitely fighting with Des for last place on the list.

You obviously didn't read the whole article. The players had a couple snags and then went over to Bennett's house where they had an evening of bonding and strategy discussing.

No I couldn’t because i don’t have a subscription. Still even if they did go after White’s place it still says to me that there is a big divide in the club.

This sounds like a bloody mess.
Sort it out, the club is too big for this shit.
Sounds like either Wayne or White need to leave, however reading this article to me seems as tho the players are backing Wayne..Every story we are hearing is different hence why we can only talk this media storm with a grain of salt, however things are looking uglier and uglier by the day.
Will be interesting to see how the boys play on Thursday night..

Active Now

• Skathen
  • bb_gun
  • Ondi
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Battler
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • Galah
  • mieko
  • westy316
  • broncsgoat
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.