MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
They won't care, this club has shown time and time again that they do not care about the fans. As long as they are pulling in the profits they could not give a flying **** about us. We could all stand outside their offices week in and week out and they wouldn't give a shit, White would probably get off on it.

This is sport, results = success. I'm sure these dimwits think that showing Wayne the door will help out in that regard - as they no doubt thought when they chased Wayne out the first time around - but the split won't be amicable, and we'll likely lose the core of a forward pack we have sacrificed this season to build.

EDIT: Assess the hypothetical worst case and best case scenario of keeping vs firing him.

Best case with keeping him: we have the best forward pack in the comp next year onwards and just need a halfback to be a top 4 certainty (injury pending).
Worst case: halfbacks continue to get thrown ridiculous money from clubs with seemingly endless caps and we have to wait for Boyd or Paix to develop, resulting in our premiership window opening later than next year, but still opening.

Best case with losing him: the players that love him somehow get over the club bending over their mentor and buy into the new coach, whoever the hell that is. We sign someone like Madge, Hasler, or Seibold who brings a modern footballing approach (wrestling, cheating in general) and makes use of our skillful forward pack.
Worst case: players revolt and walk out on the club and we go backwards to where we were before Wayne came here, if not worse. We get a rookie coach who is clueless and we finish outside of the 8 consistently. Or, we sign Seibold and he isn't up to it.

Last edited:
Should we, dare I say it, consider protesting Souths style outside Broncos headquarters? If we lose Wayne after this mess we can kiss a comp in the next ten years goodbye.

Bellamy is only at the Storm for 3 years... We can sign Bennett until then and then properly chase Craig after that. None of this informal friendly meeting kind of shit, give him a contract with 5 mil a season written into it, if the Storm somehow match it go higher. If the club wants to make money it needs success first and foremost.

Because he's more privy to the apparent idiocy of the board than anyone else. The media are also hounding him. The players want him, the fans want him, the only people that are actively campaigning for him to be flicked are journalist scum in Sydney who will ejaculate in their pants if he ends up at the Dragons or Penrith, and possibly a Manly supporter on our board.

This. So much fucking this. You can already see the change in the media.

For the last 3 years it has been all "Bennett is past it, he has lost the players, the Broncos need to get rid of him"

All of a sudden with it looking like he might be going to a club they don't hate it's "Bennett would be a great signing, still one of the best in the game, would bring instant success".

All this but our club and a large majority of fans can't see the agenda.

I think a big problem has been is that the board is trying to take power off Bennett. A single man shouldn’t have control over the entire club and that’s where this big backlash began.

I think a big problem has been is that the board is trying to take power off Bennett. A single man shouldn’t have control over the entire club and that’s where this big backlash began.

Much better for a Manly fan that has been the chairman for all of about 7 seconds to have all the control.

Why?

Wayne is the one encouraging all this, he was told repeatedly that a decision will be made at the end of the season and he has chosen to continue prodding the board publicly without regard for the club, it's fans or the players, and then has the nerve to claim it's a distraction. He knew exactly what he was doing with this bbq nonsense, he used the players for his own selfish ends, when he should have been the mature voice telling them not to get involved. The only failing of Paul White is having the restraint from sacking him.
Why in your opinion is this WBs fault ? That seems illogical. I mean ask yourself this. Do we know WBs position ? Do we know the Broncos Board/Whites position ?

Yes AND no.

WBs position has been made abundantly clear. He has a contract until the end of 2019 and wanted an extension until 2020s end. Simple.

The Broncos say no to an extension, fair enough but the problem starts with their ridiculous refusal to say whether they're going to act with honour or back out of a contract made in good faith. Compounding this they want their cake and to eat it at the same time. They want to see how the season finishes before committing to a commitment they've ALREADY made and that is pissweak. The boards actions, not WBs (who has never varied or wavered) have caused and are causing damage to the brand. They need to act with honour NOW and not delay.

When my great Cronulla mate asked me what's going on,I was ashamed . That's not how it should be with my club.

Rubbish. He is the one that has to face the press multiple times a week where he is constantly asked these questions that he cannot answer. White should be answering these one way or the other.

How has he used the players? They told him they wanted to go to his house, that's their choice. If you're a player why would you want to be at a function with the CEO that is pushing the coach you love to play for, that has been responsible for any success your club has had out the door?
You can't possibly be this naive. Since when has Wayne ever answered questions he didn't want to?

Ease off on Paul White. He is by far one of the leading club ceos in the country.

The board sets direction. This is for the Chairman of a public listed company to grow some and shut this bullshit down

The comments on this forum denigrating Paul White for simply doing his job are disgraceful.

Why in your opinion is this WBs fault ? That seems illogical. I mean ask yourself this. Do we know WBs position ? Do we know the Broncos Board/Whites position ?

Yes AND no.

WBs position has been made abundantly clear. He has a contract until the end of 2019 and wanted an extension until 2020s end. Simple.

The Broncos say no to an extension, fair enough but the problem starts with their ridiculous refusal to say whether they're going to act with honour or back out of a contract made in good faith. Compounding this they want their cake and to eat it at the same time. They want to see how the season finishes before committing to a commitment they've ALREADY made and that is pissweak. The boards actions, not WBs (who has never varied or wavered) have caused and are causing damage to the brand. They need to act with honour NOW and not delay.

When my great Cronulla mate asked me what's going on,I was ashamed . That's not how it should be with my club.
His actions are the only reason his current contract has been put in doubt.

The comments on this forum denigrating Paul White for simply doing his job are disgraceful.

How is he doing his job? Where is he? Hello? Paul? Where are you mate? Club in crisis, CEO, fucking do something?!?

People need to calm a little. The media is beefing this up quite a lot. Lets wait until we hear something official from White or WB. Pitchforks back on the rack for a little bit

I do think its near a situation where one or both parties need to address the media about what is going on, even if it is to reinforce discussions are in october etc

Last edited:
So you’re happy with his actions to date re this mess? Putting aside whether he’s at fault because I have no idea and he’s not saying.

People need to calm a little. The media is beefing this up quite a lot.

Lets wait until we hear something official from White or WB. Pitchforks back on the rack for a little bit

And when might that be? This has been going on for months with no sight of White. This all started by his press conference announcing that we where targeting Bellamy that came to nothing. Since then, nothing. zero. bubkiss. Where the **** is he?

Lets wait until we hear something official from White or WB.
Exactly. Bennett was fronting the media every week and virtually got told to shut up. How long do we have to wait for White. And October doesn’t cut it, I’m afraid, Paul.

Wayne has a contract for next year. Whoever is trying to get him out of it a year early, whether it's the Broncos or Wayne himself, is at real fault here IMO.

How is he doing his job? Where is he? Hello? Paul? Where are you mate? Club in crisis, CEO, fucking do something?!?

White's job to to make us successful off the field ...

Bennett's job is to make us successful on the field ...

only one of them has been doing their job well ...

Active Now

• Browny
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • K-Style
  • heartly87
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Big Del
  • Wolfie
  • eggstar10
  • Alec
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Reds2011
  • Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • IceWorks
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.