MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
White's job to to make us successful off the field ...

Bennett's job is to make us successful on the field ...

only one of them has been doing their job well ...

That's not the CEO's only job. His job is keeping the organisation united, t is hiring/firing, it is maintaining the reputation and PR, it is the running of the club as a whole. Yes we are making a profit but currently we are far from a success off the field.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Wayne has a contract for next year. Whoever is trying to get him out of it a year early, whether it's the Broncos or Wayne himself, is at real fault here IMO.

Well Wayne is a liar if it is him. He has said many times, and again this morning, that he wants to stay at he broncos and it is out of his hands at this point. Pointing the responsibility at the “directors”.

White has been very quiet on why exactly he is trying to knife Bennett, frankly I find it embarrassing.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
That's not the CEO's only job. His job is keeping the organisation united, t is hiring/firing, it is maintaining the reputation and PR, it is the running of the club as a whole. Yes we are making a profit but currently we are far from a success off the field.

whether you like it or not ... CEO's will always be judged by the money they make an organisation.

and whether you like it or not (and i know you wont because it doesn't go in favor of Bennett), a coach will always be judged by his results on the field ... and at a club like the Broncos, sneaking into the 8 with inconsistent performances, will never cut it. there are a few clubs he could go to that would consider our season successful, if it was them, but unforttunately for Bennett, this club is not one of them

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
White has been very quiet on why exactly he is trying to knife Bennett, frankly I find it embarrassing.

are you sure it is White trying to get rid of Bennett ...

The board decide on the coach, just like they decide on the CEO. which means they can also sack either

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
and whether you like it or not (and i know you wont because it doesn't go in favor of Bennett), a coach will always be judged by his results on the field ... and at a club like the Broncos, sneaking into the 8 with inconsistent performances, will never cut it.

Spot on. Wayne simply has not delivered this year. Sneaking into the 8 is not good enough at the Broncos.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
whether you like it or not ... CEO's will always be judged by the money they make an organisation.

and whether you like it or not (and i know you wont because it doesn't go in favor of Bennett), a coach will always be judged by his results on the field ... and at a club like the Broncos, sneaking into the 8 with inconsistent performances, will never cut it. there are a few clubs he could go to that would consider our season successful, if it was them, but unforttunately for Bennett, this club is not one of them

Don't put words into my mouth. Obviously he is judged by the money the club brings in but there are other parts to his job. I mentioned those but you ignored them so yeah.

In terms of Bennett I didn't deny things were not going well on the field, as I said putting words into my mouth. The fact is though he is contracted for next year and has several players that are loyal to him and the way this is being handled is quite embarassing and risks us losing guys like TPJ.

We also seemingly have no decent options to replace Bennett which is also Paul White's job.

In regards to the bolded cut the agenda bullshit out, you are the first to get your back up when people point out your obvious agendas in regards to certain players yet will do the same to others. The teams inconsistent form does not excuse Paul Whites poor handling of this.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Spot on. Wayne simply has not delivered this year. Sneaking into the 8 is not good enough at the Broncos.
He's delivered future premierships by locking up key young players who will be future Broncos superstars. In 2018 he has an eye on the future, if the head honchos want to end that before he gets a proper chance with these young blokes they're the ones in the wrong. Not one coach in the world does a better job with what Wayne has had to deal with this year. Mass injuries, random refereeing interpretations every week, debuting juniors, not being allowed to win certain games, the media attempting and succeeding in dividing the club and its fans. Yet we are still only 4 points out of the top four.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
He's delivered future premierships by locking up key young players who will be future Broncos superstars. In 2018 he has an eye on the future, if the head honchos want to end that before he gets a proper chance with these young blokes they're the ones in the wrong. Not one coach in the world does a better job with what Wayne has had to deal with this year. Mass injuries, random refereeing interpretations every week, debuting juniors, not being allowed to win certain games, the media attempting and succeeding in dividing the club and its fans. Yet we are still only 4 points out of the top four.

No. Wayne bottled it by not having a decent halfback on the roster. That's on him.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Interesting thought.

One media article intimated that the "mess" being brought on by this situation could well be another deflection by Wayne to keep the media off the player's performances.

Granted, even though he's done it plenty of times in the past, even as recently as this season, I think it's unlikely because it's gone way further than Wayne simply doing something innocuous that the media have jumped on because Bennett.

But... maybe? The soured relationship between White and Bennett may be genuine, but there have been plenty of times that successful clubs have had a couple of big egos that clash, but get on with their job because it's their job. Maybe Bennett not being here in 2019 is a possibility, but by no means certain, regardless of how the media are portraying it.

Theoretically, with the media off the team's back, do the Broncos go on to beat Souths, beat the Roosters, smash the Sea Eagles, and spear off in to a successful finals campaign, with White and the board praising Bennett and the team's turnaround, and make 2019 Wayne's Massive Fucking Send-Off Celebration Season?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
are you sure it is White trying to get rid of Bennett ...

The board decide on the coach, just like they decide on the CEO. which means they can also sack either

You’re right. I should’ve said he is quiet on why “they” are knifing Bennett.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
We also seemingly have no decent options to replace Bennett which is also Paul White's job.

it is not Paul Whites job to find coaching replacement's ... it is the Board's

Paul White only pulls the trigger, he doesn't order the hit.

and FTR, we have no idea what options they have put in place, what we do know is that coaches get judged (and rightly so) on current results, not what the achieved 3 years ago (GF) or 8 years ago (Premiership at Dragons) or 12 years ago (last Broncos premiership)

and if anyone is trying to destabilize the club it is Wayne Bennett not Paul White. Bennett has a contract for next year, the club told him they would make a decision on 2020 after the season was complete (likely so they could review this season first, which is fair enough). but that wasn't good enough for Wayne, and he keeps feeding the media frenzy with his comments and digs at the club. His problem is that he is trying to negotiate from a position of weakness. our form this year was always going to make the board question whether we are headed in the right direction.

the more he does, the less respect i'm having for him (no that he really gives a shit if I or any other fan has respect for him). I still think we should retain him for next year (unless we have a quality replacement lined up), but as for the extension he wanted, I am no longer in favour, we should definitely move on.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
No. Wayne bottled it by not having a decent halfback on the roster. That's on him.
No other coach is bringing a decent halfback with them either. At least with Bennett we will have 12 other decent players on the field.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Frustrating and disappointing watching a great club like the Broncos turn on itself in this manner.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
it is not Paul Whites job to find coaching replacement's ... it is the Board's

Paul White only pulls the trigger, he doesn't order the hit.

and FTR, we have no idea what options they have put in place, what we do know is that coaches get judged (and rightly so) on current results, not what the achieved 3 years ago (GF) or 8 years ago (Premiership at Dragons) or 12 years ago (last Broncos premiership)

and if anyone is trying to destabilize the club it is Wayne Bennett not Paul White. Bennett has a contract for next year, the club told him they would make a decision on 2020 after the season was complete (likely so they could review this season first, which is fair enough). but that wasn't good enough for Wayne, and he keeps feeding the media frenzy with his comments and digs at the club. His problem is that he is trying to negotiate from a position of weakness. our form this year was always going to make the board question whether we are headed in the right direction.

the more he does, the less respect i'm having for him (no that he really gives a shit if I or any other fan has respect for him). I still think we should retain him for next year (unless we have a quality replacement lined up), but as for the extension he wanted, I am no longer in favour, we should definitely move on.
No, the club hasn't made it clear that they will honour the contract for 2019. That's the problem. The question is out there and not because of WB, will he be here next year ? That needs addressing. WB has not been an issue here, the board has already declared what their position in 2020 is and that's without WB. WB is not asking now as it has been asked and answered. The board has said they won't be answering questions until October but seeing as they've stated that WB won't be here is 2020 what's left to announce or be discussed ?

The only thing to speak about is whether WB is going to be here in 2019 and WB rightfully says be can't answer that because he doesn't know. The board and White should do one thing right now and tel, us whether they are going home with the girl they brought to the dance or are they going to be dishonorable *****.

Last edited:
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
No other coach is bringing a decent halfback with them either. At least with Bennett we will have 12 other decent players on the field.

Well depending on who you ask, Boyd, McGuire, Macca, Kahu, KNik, Thaiday and Staggs may not be included in that decent discussion.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Well there was one other coach who had to deal with most of those things to this season...and he is currently looking for work.

Unread

Active Now

• broncs30
  • Swordfish
  • mrslong
  • Organix
  • GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Culhwch
  • ostin86
  • Galah
  • leon.bott
  • Battler
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • lynx000
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Jazza
  • RodF
  • Browny
... and 36 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.