MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Wow, I really thought you were better than actually believing what the media makes up.

Let's actually look at the FACTS here (and just before the usual occurs, I am not saying I want him back as head coach, this has nothing at all to do with that):

1.He had to come in almost as the season was starting after Henjak had to go and took the team to one knee from a GF appearance.
2. The side that went to the 2015 GF was largely one he had assembled.
3. He managed to get Milford's signature, not Bennett.
4. He had one of the best winning percentages of ANY coach in the NRL during his time coaching Penrith.
5. They have had injuries all year and yet they are basically a strong chance at top 4, not languishing in 8th and a real shot at missing finals due to having just been beaten by two teams fighting for the wooden spoon.
6. Gould is manipulating the media to make Griffin look like a numpty, which his results clearly show he isn't.

Yes, he made mistakes for sure. The Hoffman at 6 selection is one of the worst in history. His fat bulking strategy was awful but he showed leading into 2015 and in his time at Penrith that he had learned from that.
1. Lockyer carried that team, simple as that. The same way Cam Smith carries Melbourne.
2. That same side that you say he largely assembled, which is true, limped into 8th spot on the ladder (only differential saved us), and got pumped 32-20 by the Cowboys in the first week of the finals. Not even close to being contenders.
3. Anyone would have got Milford's signature. He was desperate to come to Brisbane to be with his family. Henjak would have got his signature too.
4/5/6. He's done well at Penrith, unfairly sacked IMO, but there is no way everything Gould says is a lie either. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Him refusing to listen to others sounds exactly like him stubbornly sticking with Hoffman, and telling players like Barba to stay fat even when it was obvious his only asset was speed.

Seriously, how many players genuinely went up a level under Griffin?

Last edited:
the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
Sounds like the coaching decision is coming from above White, so we may in fact find that White has nothing to do with this, and is simply the man that communicates to Wayne yes, no, maybe etc..
Yes, we as fans do deserve an official club statement especially with how out of hand this has gotten, and I am hopeful we get something before October.
NRL.com is reporting that Wayne wont walk out on the club, rather the club will have to sack him for him to leave which I find interesting.
Wayne has always known how to handle the media..there is method to his madness, we just aren't sure of what that is..yet.
One thing is for sure, none of us are privy to what is going on behind closed doors. We don't know what/if Wayne has made some decisions that go against what the club stands for/believes etc..
As we are all aware, News limited aren't a small company. Here's hoping they have a plan, and therefore there is a lot we don't know/will probably never know about happening.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
Wayne Bennet has done so much for this club, and he has been a guiding light for many troubled players, not just our current ones and some you'll never hear about.
We hear from the few disenchanted ones like Tallis but there must be many more who've grown as people and players. I think it's time some of them spoke so atleast the context of Wayne's leaving (undoubtedly forever) will mean.
To call an end to his career is one thing, to do so with no strategy, or atleast no outspoken one, is a slap in the face for not only to him, but the players who are expected to keep performing with no idea of how their futures might pan out.
This whole matter has been poorly handled, and whilst he has been criticised for being outspoken in the media, if he did not, this thing would likely have dragged out for a season or two until they got their man and handed out a golden (or possibly brass knuckled, depending on ladder) handshake.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
3. He managed to get Milford's signature, not Bennett.

He managed to get his signature and was also going to be the guy that was going to lose Milford. People don't realize just how close Milford came to backflipping on the deal..

Until news broke that Bennett was coming to the club.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Griffin took advantage of all the rookies Henjak promoted. In the future people are going to praise Bennett for all the rookies he brought in this year, so why not Henjak for the same thing in 2009.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Wayne Bennet has done so much for this club, and he has been a guiding light for many troubled players, not just our current ones and some you'll never hear about.
We hear from the few disenchanted ones like Tallis but there must be many more who've grown as people and players. I think it's time some of them spoke so atleast the context of Wayne's leaving (undoubtedly forever) will mean.
To call an end to his career is one thing, to do so with no strategy, or atleast no outspoken one, is a slap in the face for not only to him, but the players who are expected to keep performing with no idea of how their futures might pan out.
This whole matter has been poorly handled, and whilst he has been criticised for being outspoken in the media, if he did not, this thing would likely have dragged out for a season or two until they got their man and handed out a golden (or possibly brass knuckled, depending on ladder) handshake.

And the club has done a lot for Wayne.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
You make a shirt saying “Paul White is a Tallis” or “Not my Chairman” and I will buy it.

I'd love to, but if I did, and, say, posted it here, it would likely be removed by the staff. For good reason too, I'd bet, it wouldn't be a good look...

:qmiedo:

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Bird needs to chain himself to a goalpost on Suncorp and start a hunger strike...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He managed to get his signature and was also going to be the guy that was going to lose Milford. People don't realize just how close Milford came to backflipping on the deal..

Until news broke that Bennett was coming to the club.

How close did he come? I don't remember hearing anything at all about that.

Again, I know I am coming across as a Hook defender, which I guess I am being aren't I, but my point is more that posters like @Accept shouldn't just pick and choose facts, particularly ones that are extremely biased as a way of refuting a legitimate claim made my another poster.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Yay.. Darius wants to finish his career in Brisbane.

That's fine as long as the next coach tells him it's left centre or isc. No captaincy either. He'll probably retire from those conditions though.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Seibs
  • MrMoore
  • Dash
  • The True King
  • Foordy
  • Painin the Haas
  • Jedhead
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.