MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
The club/ Board CAN afford to pay Wayne out for next season.

The club/Board CANNOT afford to keep Wayne here next season and risk him winning the premiership (which we are at least a reasonable chance of doing). They would look like fools for not giving Wayne his requested 12 month extension and would have essentially sacked him after winning a grand final in 2019.

Too big a risk for White. Mark my words, Wayne will not be coaching us in 2019.

This is a sad way for him to be treated i think.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

The club/Board CANNOT afford to keep Wayne here next season and risk him winning the premiership (which we are at least a reasonable chance of doing). They would look like fools for not giving Wayne his requested 12 month extension and would have essentially sacked him after winning a grand final in 2019.

Yeah winning the premiership would be fucking terrible

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

What the **** would be wrong with Bennett winning a premiership next year with us? Isn't that the ultimate goal?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
What the **** would be wrong with Bennett winning a premiership next year with us? Isn't that the ultimate goal?

For the fans it wouldn't be a problem.

For the board, the media would crucify them over it. It would make them look bad considering they are trying to get rid of Bennett. They would look like idiots to the rest of the Rugby League community.

But I don't think it's something they couldn't recover from and wouldn't blow over.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013

Not after essentially sacking your coach when all he asked for was an extra 12 months. Has there ever been a coach been told to look elsewhere after winning a premiership? White will look like an idiot!

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015

Completely agree with this analysis.

Last edited:
john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Let’s start with just coaches that have won a grand final
1.Mcguire he has been the head coach in both the nrl and super league both in which he won premierships. Also a former strength and conditioning coach. Not a bad resume
2.Hasler is a former NRL premiership winning player. As head coach of sea Eagles he won 2 premierships and was quite successful with bulldogs with the players he had.
3.Walters a former premiership winning player and was assistant coach to Bellamy in there success.
4.Hell even Tim Sheens if you count possible targets former player and premiership winning coach.

We still in our longest premiership drought and something needs to be done. With the players at our disposal surely an experienced coach would have some idea what to do.

Good work @Kyall - appreciate you making the effort

The only coach on there I can agree with is McGuire, even though I have some concerns about him, he is a decent option

Walters is a tough one, I have an emotional bias toward him from his playing days, but his coaching record speaks for itself, and not the good way

Hasler and Sheens are a massive no from me, for the reasons already stated by others

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
For me it is seibold number 1 choice, with demteriou and macguire equal 2nd. No one else. Seibold seems to thrive in the areas we struggle at, effort and structure. His backline plays are magical to watch, and souths are switched on nearly every week. He has a small sample size but has had success at nrl level so its better then nothing on your resume too.

Macguire and demetriou are both a little bit bigger gambles but for nearly the exact opposite reasons. Macguire for his renowned authoritarian style that could rub the players the wrong way + his inability to ackowledge that a change in tactics/style is needed (eg bunnies post premiership), whereas demetriou because he is already there and i doubt it would result in the kick up the ass the players need from a coach change (player power)

And just on bennett not being here next year. He may not want to and it isnt ideal but i would like him having a final year. Managed corectly it could be a “fairytale premiership” and the bloke is still the best coach in the games history for me (it just he doesnt seem to be the right fit moving forward). I think the fact the media have hammered him for the state newcastle is in now (ridiculous) hurt him a bit. He has brought through so many younsters here this time around that its obvious immediate results arent the only thing in his thinking and he loves this club-he wouldnt completly destroy it on purpose. With the right marketing it could also be a lockyer 2011-like farewell, he deserves that. Itd also be in his best interest too, unless he wanted to be bitter about it at his own expense

Last edited:
FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Didn't you get good at English all of a sudden.

Haha you're right to a certain extent. Am using my wife's account and to be honest, she knows jackshit about football but is an expert at shit-stirring. Cant be bothered making a new account so will use hers while she's out of action/overseas.

But anyway, back to my point. Look, I personally would love nothing more than for Wayne to lead us to a premiership next year as a big 'up yours' to the Board/ Paul White. But how does it look for them with a coach being essentially sacked (by not being granted a minimal 12 month extension which surely he deserves) after just winning a premiership. Would the board not look incompetent? Especially by the media and the 'hardcore' Bennett fans?

It is a similar situation to the Panthers and Gould giving Hook the ol heave ho as he didn't want to run the risk of the Panthers possibly winning a premiership this year under Griffin as it would then be difficult to get rid of him. A bit different with Wayne as his contract ends at the end of 2019 as it now stands.

My point is though, why the **** would you not grant an extension to a coach who has a more than reasonable chance of guiding your team to a premiership next year. Especially when he only wants 1 extra year. White and the board would look like complete and utter incompetent fools and imagine the backlash from fans if Wayne has to walk out the door with his 'tail between his legs' after being rejected yet winning a premiership for them.

Last edited:
BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

I think sacking Bennett before 2019 would be a marketing disaster.

Sacking him in the off season would deny him and more importantly the fans the chance to say goodbye to a legend of the club (something the broncos as a brand could milk through all of 2019 purely from a business perspective), it would also create backlash in the playing group, the fans and will be a serious blackspot on our history for years to come.

Not to mention that we are faaaar too late in the piece to get the coach we want correctly vetted.

We are heading into a premiership window so the decision on the next coach is extremely important especially when considering the current premiership drought... a rushed decision could be very damaging

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
For me it is seibold number 1 choice, with demteriou and macguire equal 2nd. No one else. Seibold seems to thrive in the areas we struggle at, effort and structure. His backline plays are magical to watch, and souths are switched on nearly every week. He has a small sample size but has had success at nrl level so its better then nothing on your resume too.

Macguire and demetriou are both a little bit bigger gambles but for nearly the exact opposite reasons. Macguire for his renowned authoritarian style that could rub the players the wrong way + his inability to ackowledge that a change in tactics/style is needed (eg bunnies post premiership), whereas demetriou because he is already there and i doubt it would result in the kick up the ass the players need from a coach change (player power)

And just on bennett not being here next year. He may not want to and it isnt ideal but i would like him having a final year. Managed corectly it could be a “fairytale premiership” and the bloke is still the best coach in the games history for me (it just he doesnt seem to be the right fit moving forward). I think the fact the media have hammered him for the state newcastle is in now (ridiculous) hurt him a bit. He has brought through so many younsters here this time around that its obvious immediate results arent the only thing in his thinking and he loves this club-he wouldnt completly destroy it on purpose. With the right marketing it could also be a lockyer 2011-like farewell, he deserves that. Itd also be in his best interest too, unless he wanted to be bitter about it at his own expense

Wouldn't Souths be throwing massive money at seibold after this year? Are we actually a realistic chance of getting him?

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
I think sacking Bennett before 2019 would be a marketing disaster.

Sacking him in the off season would deny him and more importantly the fans the chance to say goodbye to a legend of the club (something the broncos as a brand could milk through all of 2019 purely from a business perspective), it would also create backlash in the playing group, the fans and will be a serious blackspot on our history for years to come.

Not to mention that we are faaaar too late in the piece to get the coach we want correctly vetted.

We are heading into a premiership window so the decision on the next coach is extremely important especially when considering the current premiership drought... a rushed decision could be very damaging
Don't think WB will be sacked
More likely to leave if he gets a longer deal elsewhere. Maybe Madge is the contingency should this happen. Best scenario is a farewell to WB season which i don't think will be any better. Then we get the coach we want for 2020 assuming Madge isnt who we are chasing.
Just a thought what about Meninga as coach??

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • broncsgoat
  • levikaden
  • Wolfie
  • sooticus
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.