MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Rock Solid defence. Offloads to Milford at pace. Justin hodges leading the way.

Pretty much says it all. Same coach though (scratching head .... )

Was it all Hodgo?

Would we have under-performed as we did the other day if Hodges was in the side?

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Was it all Hodgo?

Would we have under-performed as we did the other day if Hodges was in the side?

We didn't just have Hodges, we also had Parker and Blair, experienced and defensively they were rock solid too, when you got your defence on song and you also score the necessary points, confidence is rarely an issue. We may have lost the grand final that year, but we were light years ahead of where we are mentally presently and that was present in how well we defended compared to now. Put that Broncos side of 2015 in that St George finals game situation, defensively how many of those tries would they have actually scored with the determination and consistency that side showed especially off our line? a lot less.

Having Hodges for 2018 may have helped a bit, but overall not really.

Last edited:
mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
What's the difference between the way the team played in 2015 and this year ?

A lot less injuries in 2015 is about it.
I think the defence is a lot better with Gillett and Bird in the squad for the whole year considering they base their games off a defence first approach

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Was it all Hodgo?

And let's not forget ben hunt was on fire up until that moment. He and Milford were untouchable that year. But I still think something happened between those 2. Barely gave each other any acknowledgement on Sunday.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
And let's not forget ben hunt was on fire up until that moment. He and Milford were untouchable that year. But I still think something happened between those 2. Barely gave each other any acknowledgement on Sunday.

Yeah, Hunt cost him a premiership and a Clive Churchill medal. I’d be pretty pissed too.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
There are only 2 coaches that would replace Bennett realistically they are Kevin Walters, or wait till Bellamy is finally ready to leave the storm which will be at the end of Smith's career
Wayne still has my respect but he needs to stop focusing on proving the media wrong or having a massive head because he needs to coach the way he did before he left us and like 2015.
The inconsistency is semi on him
Also, Boyd needs to pull his head in and yell at his troops, although I am displeased with McCullough's performance this season he shouldn't be the one on the weekend talking to the team telling them to pull their heads in and Boyd standing at the back saying nothing

Last edited:
LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Someone else mentioned it earlier, and I'll raise it again because I can't agree more: Wayne said in the presser that "we've been losing these games all year, the games we're expected to win". So as the head coach, the responsible person, how does that not get addressed all season? It's been the defining hallmark of our year. Does he not know how to get their heads right? Is he out of touch with the younger generation? Does he not have the right people around him and the club anymore? The guys seem to all love him, but there's some glaring consistency issues which were never a problem while Bennett was at the helm in his first stint. The rot started IMO when he left.

Although I do also believe our lack of good on-field leadership is also hurting us. Look at the other teams remaining - Maloney/Cleary, Smith/Slater, Cronk/Pearce/Cordner, Gallen/Lewis, Inglis/Sutton, Widdop/Graham... It's not just experience, it's having good leadership. We haven't really had a true, natural leader since Locky (no offence to the likes of Parker and Hodgo, they did a fair job but they're not a Smith/Cronk/Slater either).

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017

Was it all Hodgo?

Hate to say it but maybe it was the 2014 side continuing. Even Wayne himself said he was surprised at making the 2015 final so soon.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Someone else mentioned it earlier, and I'll raise it again because I can't agree more: Wayne said in the presser that "we've been losing these games all year, the games we're expected to win". So as the head coach, the responsible person, how does that not get addressed all season? It's been the defining hallmark of our year. Does he not know how to get their heads right? Is he out of touch with the younger generation? Does he not have the right people around him and the club anymore? The guys seem to all love him, but there's some glaring consistency issues which were never a problem while Bennett was at the helm in his first stint. The rot started IMO when he left.

Although I do also believe our lack of good on-field leadership is also hurting us. Look at the other teams remaining - Maloney/Cleary, Smith/Slater, Cronk/Pearce/Cordner, Gallen/Lewis, Inglis/Sutton, Widdop/Graham... It's not just experience, it's having good leadership. We haven't really had a true, natural leader since Locky (no offence to the likes of Parker and Hodgo, they did a fair job but they're not a Smith/Cronk/Slater either).

I agree with the sentiment but I think Hodgo was an amazing leader. He lead by his actions. No way would anyone sleep at night underperforming watching the way he would put in. He’d be a half, a centre, a fullback, and a hooker all in the same game, depending on who wasn’t performing. Not to mention I’d hate to get on his bad side.

I do think leadership was our biggest issue this year. I think with Gillett and Glenn in the team our defence would be far tighter. I do think we miss a guy like Blair too but his stats were far to bad to ignore in his last season with us, usually his intangibles were good enough to make up for it but at that point they no longer did.

We do need a leader in our spine I think, and at the moment Boyd and Macca aren’t standing up like they should be with their amount of experience.

badyon

badyon

QCup Player
Feb 8, 2014
A key point for me - and what convinced me WB 100% needs to move sideways or just get the **** out - was the relaying of instructions not to go for more points against Manly in the final round.

Even if everyone agrees this was a "smart" thing to do - the fact that it leaked out of the coach's box and into the media and fired the Dragons up no end - is proof that it was fucking stupid on so many levels.

Not least because it sent a complacent-can't-be-stuffed attitude out to the players.

WB has a history of fucking over clubs on his way out -- including the Broncs the first time around. And this extends to poaching players to come with him.

We either need to put WB into a long term mentoring role or **** him right off in the next week or so to minimise the damage and fallout.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
A key point for me - and what convinced me WB 100% needs to move sideways or just get the **** out - was the relaying of instructions not to go for more points against Manly in the final round.

Even if everyone agrees this was a "smart" thing to do - the fact that it leaked out of the coach's box and into the media and fired the Dragons up no end - is proof that it was fucking stupid on so many levels.

Not least because it sent a complacent-can't-be-stuffed attitude out to the players.

WB has a history of fucking over clubs on his way out -- including the Broncs the first time around. And this extends to poaching players to come with him.

We either need to put WB into a long term mentoring role or **** him right off in the next week or so to minimise the damage and fallout.
You realize this is probably something the Dragons came up with to fire their own players up right?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

He did not tell them to not go for more points. It makes no sense, why don’t you stop being a sheep and use your own brain.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • phoenix
  • Mr Fourex
  • Robboi_321
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • Scdeac
  • Harry Sack
  • leon.bott
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • mrslong
  • johnny plath
  • Maroon4life
  • Redfern_1980
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Aldo
  • Organix
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.