MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think he needs to shake things up again like he did when he moved on Lazarus and Walters from the coaching staff all those years ago, but he probably needs to give the players a bit of a shake up as well if possible, but that's a bit easier said than done.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
So to break this down. He wanted to do something different to the most experienced coach in the game, so he's the perfect candidate to be head coach?

I’m not saying for certain that’s what it was but it could of been a factor. Though if we need a new coach he would be high up on my list.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
I think he needs to shake things up again like he did when he moved on Lazarus and Walters from the coaching staff all those years ago, but he probably needs to give the players a bit of a shake up as well if possible, but that's a bit easier said than done.

yeah...well I think the players have all become too comfortable with Wayne, they know he will back them even after poor effort and standards have slipped.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I’m not saying for certain that’s what it was but it could of been a factor. Though if we need a new coach he would be high up on my list.

You've made that clear. I'm wanting to know why, given his coaching record is shit, and the things he's credited with doing aren't correct.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
that's rumour at best ... made up media bullshit at worst ...

the fact is he cut and run ... our halves didn't start playing well until long after he was gone.

besides being a head coach in the NRL is more than just being able to coach the halves. he has done nothing as a head club coach to suggest that he should be the next coach of the most prestigious rugby league club in the world.

Wrong!

1 - he wants to be the coach

2 - Kyall wants him to be the coach

3 - he isn't Wayne Bennett

Hired ;)

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
But when your trying to teach and no one will listen there is no point to staying.
If they team wouldn't listen to him then, what makes you think they will now ... Especially since most of the team want Bennett to stay. ..

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
If they team wouldn't listen to him then, what makes you think they will now ... Especially since most of the team want Bennett to stay. ..

Well when you know you have to move on normally you do.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
He supposedly left because WB wouldn’t let him make any changes to anything in the team and it was pointless staying.

Oh, so Paul Kent said it it must be true, I mean he has such good contacts in our organisation...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Let's try and look at this pragmatically. After all, the job of Wayne is to get a team to play to their potential and ultimately, win premierships. In terms of the second aspect, this side looks like it is getting further away from a premiership with each year that passes from 2015. That said, the young talent coming through does look very promising indeed.

Wayne did say though that when he came back, there was a three year plan from memory. Well it is now four years on and this side AS A UNIT just not seem to be gelling and has seemingly stagnated. A shake up is needed but a mass clean out is not. The question is, does Wayne still have the ability to acknowledge his errors and more importantly, the gumption to act on them?

Let's try and look at the side as fairly as possible (and yes, this is CERTAINLY arguable, any opinion is, no matter how pragmatic one tries to be):

Captaincy: Boyd is NOT a good captain. He doesn't seem to have the ability to lead by example anymore, at least not consistently. The problem of course is that there just aren't many other options, let alone good ones. I don't really see this as Wayne's fault. He basically has chosen the best of a bad bunch of leaders. Glenn looks a good option but his spot in the side isn't guaranteed. Gillett has been out all season basically. Macca is just the definition of mediocre, despite being a SOO player now unbelievably, not the kind of inspirational leader you want in a side. McGuire is the other option but he is both divisive and had a fairly average season. Thaiday is gone and hasn't been good enough for the last three seasons. Not really sure what the answer is here unless you went with a young guy like Joffa who has that Petero fear factor about him.

1. Boyd - This is on Bennett. Boyd has been average to below for most of the year unfortunately (yes, he has had some good games too) but he should DEFINITELY not have been re-signed for four years and especially on the amount of money he is reported to be on. Bennett should have stuck with him at centre and no, I'm still not sold on Isaako at fb moving forward. Allan would have been my choice (this is purely my opinion and I could certainly be wrong). In any case, the re-signing of Boyd and seeming refusal to move him is on Bennett.

2. Oates - For the most part, has had an amazing season despite not being happy on the wing. Credit to Wayne for that, Oates is an absolute weapon and Wayne gives him time in the second-row, excellent management here. If Oates cannot be retained because of Bird's money though, this is a tragedy.

3. Roberts - He is not as prolific a try scorer as he used to be at the GC but is a far better player now. There is certainly an understandable school of thought that he isn't being used as well as he could be but he has made undoubtable progress as a player and person under Wayne.

4. Bird/Kahu/Staggs/Opacic - Let's go with the four players here who played there mostly. Bird, what kind of signing was this? No idea where to play him (he never, or at least rarely, played left centre in the past) and signed on reportedly big money despite not really being anything other than a glorified utility. Yes, there is the competitiveness aspect, etc but he really wasn't a needed signing and especially on so much money. If he leads to Oates leaving, it is mind-boggling. Kahu, he is a good player but is now being overtaken by others sadly, natural progression means he should be overtaken but does Wayne have it in him to move Kahu on or make him realise he is really now surplus/back up? Staggs, no one has been able to answer this but who is the one responsible for not having this kid in the 30? That is a monumental stuff up from someone and moving ahead, will Wayne have the courage to turn him into a centre if that is not what he wants but where his best opportunity might lie? Just get the feeling he needs to be in the side somewhere but why was he not getting any game time in so many games leading into the finals? Just a stupid bench decision when you have players getting no game time for no reason. Opacic, seems to be gone but have to wonder how much better that left side defense might have been if Wayne had persisted with him.

5. Isaako - This one is a massive plus for Wayne. This kid is a gun and has such a strong work ethic. It would have been easy to give Pearson the chance this season but Wayne went with Jamayne and what a winner that has proved to be. Isaako is a star of the now and perhaps a superstar of the future. What an amazing rookie year he has had and a lot of the credit for this must go to Wayne.

6. Milford - The guy is still inconsistent which is frustrating as anything but there is no doubt (in my opinion) he can be the halfback this side has been calling out for. His kicking has come on in leaps and bounds and I have a sneaking suspicion that next season he will break out as a genuine consistent superstar. His progression is a plus for Bennett in my opinion.

7. KNik - I love this guy and think that he and Milf can be the halves moving forward (at least until BOyd/Paix/Dreardon) are ready. Given Milf's emergence as a genuine controlling half potentially, KNik can play the role he does now and this side can be a force to be reckoned with. That said, the lack of any other real half option is a glaring criticism of many for Bennett, particularly given the money tied up in Boyd/Bird unnecessarily.

8. Lodge - For me, this is a massive plus for Bennett. I didn't want the guy at the club but he certainly didn't deserve the vitriol that he received from the start of the season. His progression both on and off field is Bennett at his finest. A genuine front-row leader in the making. His progression has been nothing short of amazing. Hats off to Bennett on this one.

9. Macca - This is a tough one. It seems quite obvious (though certainly arguable) that he is not the guy to lead the side to the promised premiership land. He just has not seemed to progress, despite falling into a 9 jersey for Qld. The definition of average. It could well be a coincidence based on the sides being played that Turpin looked so much better in his very limited opportunities. I'm not sure what to do here but I do think this is a critical decision moving forward. Does Wayne know what to do? Does he still have the resolve to dump a player that seems to be regressing or at least, becoming complacent? Can the Broncs win their next premiership with Macca at 9? I don't think so but I'm not being paid to sort this problem out.

10. Thaiday - Has been a tremendous servant of the club over a long time but unfortunately, that should have stopped three season ago. I understand Wayne keeping him around for his leadership and character to help guide the young guys though. This position needs to be given to Joffa next year, hopefully Wayne knows this too.

11. Glenn - He is a very underrated player in this side and I have no problem at all with Wayne keeping him in the starting side. With so many younger players, his experience is invaluable. Should he be the captain given the lack of alternatives and the fact Boyd really isn't that good in the role? What Wayne does with Alex is pivotal to the future of this side in my opinion.

12. Gillett/Su'A - Gillett, got fouled of the season and his loss has been huge all season. Hopefully, he comes back fit and firing (and not tentative) next season. Him getting an upgraded contract while out recovering from such a serious injury is a little mind-boggling to be honest. Su'A, looks a player of huge potential and another of these amazing young guns coming through. Will likely start next season in the 11 jersey and his progression before his injury is another massive plus to the Bennett man-management.

13. McGuire - Yes, he is the incumbent Australian lock, etc but he just does not have the explosiveness, offload ability that the modern-day lock needs. TPJ does and IF he hangs around next season and Wayne is still here, this needs to be recognised by Wayne. McGuire is a great player but he needs to start from the bench next season. Wayne needs to make an example of some of these more experienced statesmen that seem to have become complacent. McGuire off the bench can be a huge weapon.

14. Staggs/Mago - Staggs, was mentioned before. Off the bench though, he could have provided some necessary spark but was rarely afforded the opportunity, that's on Wayne - such weird Griffin-esque coaching. Mago, looks a very promising player and well done to Wayne for giving him a shot. Where does Mago fit in moving forward though? He looks good enough to be in the 17 but so do so many other young forwards. Not really sure what happens here moving forward but whoever gets the utility / fourth forward role has a very important role to play. If Wayne sticks with Macca at 9, it really should probably be Turpin here but then what happens to Staggs?

15. Sims/Haas - Sims, glad he is gone. I am happy that with all the young talent coming through that he wasn't retained. No Sims should ever be in the Broncs jersey again. He had some brilliant games for sure but also some shockers. This is a good decision to let him go. Haas, the kid has amazing potential for sure. Someone that big with a motor to match is extremely rare and he could be anything. One can understand the desire to lock him long-term but can he match the hype? This is probably the biggest gamble in Broncos history. Let's hope this decision is the right one.

16. Fifita - Gun. This kid has absolutely blown most away with his ability to step into the NRL so seamlessly and the consistency he has shown has been absolutely phenomenal. Should he be starting next year? That is a question Wayne will need to be pondering but credit to Wayne in identifying this kid and giving him his shot. He could become the best forward in the game but can he avoid the second year syndrome?

17. TPJ / Joffa - Both of these guys should be starting next year and in Wayne's defense, he seems to recognise this which is great. Both of them have been starting on and off throughout the year and with Sam's retirement, hopefully that means Joffa progresses to starting prop. Hopefully, Wayne also swaps McGuire to the bench and starts a fresh TPJ at the lock position next year. These two players are must keeps and full credit to Wayne for bringing them through.

Yes, this post is epic but one least comment:

Carrigan - Why hasn't this kid been given a shot this year? He looks as good as any of the other kids coming through. Really just don't understand why he hasn't been given a shot. I'm sure if Wayne is here next year, this seeming oversight will be addressed.

So, all-in-all, there have been some really, really good decisions by Wayne but some absolute head scratchers as well. Is this side well-positioned for the premiership next year? Probably not but it certainly looks good for the years after. So given that this is the case and Wayne only has one more year, is he worth persisting with in 2019? Well, I can't see why not in the absence of other suitable candidates. Should he be extended? That is the big question for me.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
yeah...well I think the players have all become too comfortable with Wayne, they know he will back them even after poor effort and standards have slipped.

Wayne values loyalty, but he also wont be afraid to change things if he feels the need. I actually dont think anyone is safe.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Surely Alfie is safe!

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I thought we already established that nobody counts ISC. Just like nobody counts the under 12s premiership my dad coached me to

Is your dad looking to join the NRL? What was his win ratio?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I'd rather get Stephen Kearney as coach than Kevin Walters, and I think Kearney is a shit coach.

Walters is only in the discussion because of his name and his playing history at the club.
He had a 37% WR in the damn Super League. I'd take Jason Taylor or Neil Henry, heck Tim Sheens ahead of him.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
What's the difference between the way the team played in 2015 and this year ?

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I thought we already established that nobody counts ISC. Just like nobody counts the under 12s premiership my dad coached me to

Cowboys and Souths did with Seibold and Green.
Bennett did with JD.

If it's your only run as a head coach I can't see how you can ignore it.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Santa
  • Brocko
  • ivanhungryjak
  • westy316
  • Kev_Guz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Alec
  • bert_lifts
  • Nerd
  • Volvo Driver
  • johnyE
  • lynx000
  • bazza
  • Johnny92
  • Scorchie
  • Behind enemy lines
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Painin the Haas
  • Dash
... and 50 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.