MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Things are going to get interesting now with our retention and recruitment. The players arent happy.

Players can be such whingers. Wayne is old. Do they want him to coach until he passes? Let the man enjoy his life

Players can be such whingers. Wayne is old. Do they want him to coach until he passes? Let the man enjoy his life
Wayne wants to coach, and is being forced out. He isn't retiring. I think he's earned the right to make that decision. If I was a player I'd be filthy.

If Wayne doesn't sign with us I doubt Milford would have stuck around, Roberts would have fallen off of the wagon, no TPJ or Lodge (both if which were two of the best forwards in the comp).

He's had his time, brilliant man manager but his tactics haven't evolved over the years.

the players weren't happy when hook was sacked ... they got over it

Yep, thats a fair point, but hook isnt Wayne Bennett. I'm not so sure some of these guys are going to get over it like they did with hook. TPJ and Oates are the big worry now for me, as well as James Roberts.

The way we went out in our last 2 finals games is why it was taken out of his hands and they have made a good decision and need to move forward now

This board is fucking incompetent. Why the **** do you make a call on a coach more than a year out from their contract which doesn't end their tenure right then and there?.

Because they didn't want to risk Wayne winning the comp next year and be the first club in NRL history to sack a premiership winning coach. (Same reason Gould sacked Griffin a few weeks ago).

You are right though the board (and white especially) are incompetent.

Last edited:
Seibold's game tactics were found out pretty severely in the last 2 weeks of the finals. They got very lucky against the Dragons and never looked like troubling the roosters despite every man on earth seeing Cronk was fucked the entire second half in defence. They were just lucky that Cronk had done his arm when he did and Mitchell wasn't on the field or the score would have been a hell of a lot higher.
Its one thing to have a great regular season (just ask Brian Smith) but you need to win in September to make an elite coach.

It’s almost like you’re allowed to get better at a role and learn and develop. Only six guys have won a premiership first year, are they the only six that can coach?

Bennett took eight.

Because they didn't want to risk Wayne winning the comp next year and be the first club in NRL history to sack a premiership winning coach. (Same reason Gould sacked Griffin a few weeks ago).

You are right though the board (and white especially) are incompetent.

Wayne will still be the coach next year and could still win the premiership ...

and people need to remember that when they copmplain about the board they are also complaining about the rugby league god and current Broncos board member Darren Lockyer

Its one thing to have a great regular season (just ask Brian Smith) but you need to win in September to make an elite coach.

Then why do you want to keep Bennett?

Bennett hasn't won a thing in the last 8 years and is seemingly getting further and further away every passing year (Just look at our defensive statistics regressing drastically every year that Bennett has been here in his second stint)

I think he's past it, and the board knows it. Bring on the new era.

I'm in the keep Bennett camp, but the man is 70 years old and has said that he doesn't know how much longer he can go on. That's too much risk for mine, especially when our best option (Seibold) is available and wants to come here.

The alternative is keeping Wayne for 2 years and Souths locking up Seibold long term. What do we do in that scenario? Alternatives like Hasler or Maguire will either be at other clubs or gone from the game too long.

Club Statement: Broncos' Coaching Future

The Brisbane Broncos can confirm that 2019 will be Wayne Bennett's final year as the club's coach.

Broncos Chairman Karl Morris said he and Bennett agreed that he would see out his current contract to the end of next season.

Bennett said: "Having the decision made now puts an end to speculation and allows a clear focus on getting ready for next season.

"I firmly believe in the playing group we have here at the club."

Morris said the club had been consistent since the start of the year on its considered approach to the coaching position for 2020, and that approach would continue.

"The club will work through a thorough process, led by CEO Paul White, to identify and select a coach for the 2020 season and beyond," said Morris.

White said: "We are in no rush to find the next coach of this club and we have been clear on that for the past year – we have a process and we will work through that to get the best result.

"Planning has already begun for next season and we are expecting big things from the team.

"The 2019 season is something we can all look forward to."

source: Broncos Web Site

Have to say that this is a pretty gutless way to make such a profound announcement of this sort.

The least that White could have done is call a presser and announce it in person but then he would have had to face some questions which he clearly is not capable of handling.

Hope someone bothered to tell wayne beforehand although going by this I wouldn't be surprised if they just sent him an anonymous text.

I think it's a mistake.

But watch us win it next year...

Welp, that's it then.

I hope the club have done this with a long term plan set in stone. Recent history however tells me they are completely winging it.

It’s almost like you’re allowed to get better at a role and learn and develop. Only six guys have won a premiership first year, are they the only six that can coach?

Bennett took eight.

Yeah but we aren't a piss ant club. We demand success from every coach. You miss the 8 and your out on your ass. No other club in the comp is that cut throat. Siebold had a huge amount of praises this year and fell over big time in the semis and no one is really paying attention to it. The rabbits I feel got away pretty lightly and if I was a fan I would be blowing up deluxe at their performance in the past two weeks compared to what they put up the prior 26 weeks.
The point is, do we put a rookie coach in the hot seat or get an established coach who can handle the hot seat that Bennett has created. The last two coaches we employed before Bennett were rookies from internally and didn't work out.

Have to say that this is a pretty gutless way to make such a profound announcement of this sort.

The least that White could have done is call a presser and announce it in person but then he would have had to face some questions which he clearly is not capable of handling.

Hope someone bothered to tell wayne beforehand although going by this I wouldn't be surprised if they just sent him an anonymous text.

what did you want the club to do ... close the CBD and hold a fucking ticker tape parade in his honour, before casually dropping the fact that his contract won't be renewed ...

I know professionalism is foreign to most rugby league fans, but that is exactly what happened here.

the board made a decision on what they believe the best way forward for the club is. they have then informed the current coach nice and early that his contract won't be renewed as a head coach, however requesting that he see out his current contract. they have then informed their supporter base of that decision and the agreement that Bennett would see out his contract

Will be strange for a lot of people not having Wayne in charge but I’m ready for a new era.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • barker
  • Broncos Maestro
  • GCBRONCO
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Maddy
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • Johnny92
  • kman
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosarethebest
  • MrMoore
  • westy316
  • Allo
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.