MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
For me it's out of Seibold & Maguire as well. I wouldn't consider Walters or Griffin for 0.1 seconds, they're both proven sub-par coaches.

It's a flip of the coin between those two for me, I'd maybe marginally lean towards Seibold because of a couple of reasons, primarily that he coached in the NRL in 2018, Maguire didn't, secondary reason is that he's a Queenslander & has plenty of ties up here, which should aid in building relationships with players who may get a sudden bout of home sickness.

If it came down to Maguire I wouldn't be too upset, he should be reinvigorated after a year off, has a phenomenal win% in all head coaching roles he's done, premiership pedigree, won't be afraid to whip the boys in to shape.

As long as we dont get Kevvie or Griffin as our coach Ill be happy with whoever they chose.

Walters - Over-rated. Still doesnt have NRL credentials.
Griffin - **** the prick.

How does one get nrl credentials?

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Maguire. If he has learnt from his mistakes of player burnout he is a quality coach.
How I feel. Nothing wrong with pushing players to their limits as long as you know when to loosen the reins a bit.

If we went down the route of taking a gamble on somebody unproven, I'd go for Hodges. Apart from that, nobody is really filling me with confidence. Liked the look of how the Rabbits played at times this year, so I'd look at Seibold probably. Still don't think there is anyone out there better than Bennett who is available quite honestly.

Gotta be down to, in order: Seibold, Madge, Hasler. Anyone else would be horrid.

Not at the Brisbane Broncos.
Lucky I had a look at what was posted on the next page

Except Bennett basically got his NRL coaching credentials at the Broncos.

I'll have you know that Wayne Bennett got his first grade credentials coaching some farmers in the 1930s, thank you very much.

Last edited:
If we went down the route of taking a gamble on somebody unproven, I'd go for Hodges. Apart from that, nobody is really filling me with confidence. Liked the look of how the Rabbits played at times this year, so I'd look at Seibold probably. Still don't think there is anyone out there better than Bennett who is available quite honestly.
Hodges would have been an ideal candidate for Wayne's proposed succession plan. He'd have the respect of the players and the fans.

Except Bennett basically got his NRL coaching credentials at the Broncos.

How can you even compare him starting with the club in 1988 to now? You can't think that any coach walking into a club now is going to be able to have the luxuries afforded to Wayne Bennett when he first started his career.

He helped build the club, didn't have to deal with the professional environment the the NRL tries to convey today, didn't have all eyes on him expecting to be an instant success to break a premiership drought, and an open chequebook to make sure he had the players he wanted. Through all of that, he was able to build this club up to be a power house, or glamour club of the national comp. You don't just hand the reigns over to a bloke because a few of the guys up stairs think he's a good guy.

I mean, at least don't do it a third time.

For what its worth here's how I think the coaching situation looks at the moment:

1. I think the Broncos would definitely like to announce who will be coaching them in 2020 before this Christmas.

2. They definitely want a coach with current or recent NRL experience. (and obviously some success too.)

3. I don't think they want to sign anyone who is contracted to another club for 2019 because it would be very awkward for them to have to do a whole pre-season and season proper at another club with everyone knowing they will not be there in 2020.

These 3 conditions drastically reduce the field of candidates.

I think it will come down to Maguire or Siebold. As far as I know Siebold has not signed with Souths for next year but I hope he is not doing a Bellamy on us and just using us to pump up his price with souths.

I'm probably leaning towards Maguire. To me the bunnies defence was still a little suspect throughout the year (obviously not as bad as ours, but they were pretty far off storm and roosters).

The broncos team as a whole has attacking talent across the park, but the issue which has been prevalent for a long time is our poor defense, even in 2015 it was heart attack goal line defense all game and scrambling to cover line breaks.

Madge would bring the storm defensive system and fitness which I think is basically all that's missing from this team winning a premiership.

The guys we have can attack, apparently they just don't know how to defend.

Active Now

• Wendall Taylor
  • heartly87
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Culhwch
  • broncsgoat
  • RolledOates
  • lynx000
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Fozz
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.