MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Serious question, who the **** is going to coach the broncos if/when Wayne leaves?

I really struggle to find a decent available option?
If he does go immediately, I'd say it's a lock in for Maguire

It looks like this is a done deal.

Wayne will be gone a year early in 2019.

Now we just have to find a coach for next season.

Too bad it could have all been avoided if White hadn't had the hair brained idea to chase Bellamy (who was never going to come) and then compound things by telling Wayne he can get lost for 2020.

Serious question, who the **** is going to coach the broncos if/when Wayne leaves?

I really struggle to find a decent available option?
Macguire or Seibold are the only 2 we are looking at to my knowledge. But I hope we don’t get the short straw of all of this. What willl we do if WB leaves, Seibold stays and Macguire signs with manly we will be fucked.

Macguire or Seibold are the only 2 we are looking at to my knowledge. But I hope we don’t get the short straw of all of this. What willl we do if WB leaves, Seibold stays and Macguire signs with manly we will be fucked.

Well for a start we can sack White because this will all be on him.

Really dumb from Wayne and a borderline betrayal. I'll lose a lot of respect for him if he goes through with this.

Why go to a club with no chance of winning the comp when you have the chance to win the prem in your last season as Broncos coach? Seriously, what is the point of doing this? He'll get an extra 2-3 years head coaching a side that will miss the eight consistently - all the Tigs' money is tied up so he can't go on a shopping spree to get a squad to suit, and they don't have the talent like the Broncos did when he came back. He'll take TPJ, who I will lose all respect for if he goes because of what he's said through the year about remaining faithful to us, but that won't be enough. The Tigers spine is atrocious.

I thought White was dumb for punting him, but maybe he's been realistic the whole time? If this is the way Wayne is acting then I'm siding with White on his and the club's stance. Still, if I was in his shoes I would have gone all out for Bellamy dollar wise after publicly saying I wanted him, like I would have made the deal so enticing he couldn't have said no: he needed to do it after putting it out there. I have no problem with Madge or Hasler or someone coming here next season, I still think we have the squad to win the thing and should do so.

A sad end for the man who gave so much to this great club. His career will go out with a whimper, and the idiots like Kent will be able to say they knew all along that he was past it.

I doubt the Maguire scenario happens, like would you rather coach Manly, who have a cap penalty, or the Broncos, who have a premiership ready squad? If it does we have Hasler as an option or could chase a smoky like Thorn. So long as we don't get Kevvy or Hook I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Maguire has turned down an offer from Manly.

it's looking like Cleary to Penrith, Wayne to Tigers, Maguire to the Broncs & who gives a **** about Manly. i wouldn't mind if Barrett comes here as an assistant coach but i reckon he'll end up back at Penrith as an assisstant.

Last edited:
I knew something like this would happen, as there was no way in hell I could see White keeping Wayne on with the risk of him winning a premiership next season before getting the flick.

Macguire must be a lock-in for 2019 surely. Who else, other than Siebold really?

I dunno. McGuire really doesn’t appeal to me. Ciraldo may be a risk worth taking though.

You’d have to be amazingly unaware if you hired Hasler.

i think a club would have to be extremely desperate to sign Hasler as coach.

He hasn't won a premiership yet, but I think Seibold has shown a lot more promise than McGuire. Who knows, maybe we were chasing him too.

Oh god, this is gonna end in total disaster

Last edited:
Oh god, this is gonna end in total disaster

I think it might have the opposite effect. I think Maguire is EXACTLY what this side needs, a no-nonsense coach who want take any rubbish or play favourites. He may not work long-term but for the two-three years, it isn't a bad option by any means.

I'm kind of looking forward to see what a new coach who's not part of the Broncos system in any way has to offer.

Wouldn't shock me if the Eels join in on the coach hunt.

As far as I know, no official statement has been made by either club or coach yet.
However.
Wayne Bennett will always do what Wayne Bennett has always done and that is to look after Wayne Bennett first. He wrote a book about that.
IMO, when Cleary’s position at the Tigers became untenable when he signed with the Panthers so did Waynes at the Broncos when his extension was refused.
He said he wanted to coach on after 2019 and clearly that wasn’t happening at the Broncos. Who can blame him. He was bought back to attract the right sort of talent that his two predecessors couldn’t and that did happen to a certain extent. I do feel for those players who came here to be coached by Wayne and it remains to be seen what happens next in that regard. Clearly that will depend on them buying into our culture and his replacement.
But sadly, the Wayne Bennett that sacked King Wally as captain all those years ago, when it needed to be done, is not the same Wayne Bennett that said he would select Thaiday all year even if his form suggested otherwise. In other words times change.
One thing is for sure and certain though and that is no one individual is bigger then the club, even if that individual is the head coach, even if that head coach is Wayne Bennett.
The club needs to and has to come first at all times.

Active Now

• Behold
  • Jazza
  • Ondi
  • broncos4life
  • Galah
  • lynx000
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.