MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Discuss the post, not the poster guys. More than enough material there without making it personal.
It was a genuine question mate.
Does he really offer anything other than BS?

It was a genuine question mate.
Does he really offer anything other than BS?

You can check his post history and make that determination for yourself. You're welcome to complain about other members directly to the staff in our staff chat, but not on the public forums. Please discuss the topic at hand.

I dont mind the Tigers so I say go for it Wayno

You can check his post history and make that determination for yourself. You're welcome to complain about other members directly to the staff in our staff chat, but not on the public forums. Please discuss the topic at hand.
No probs. Cool.
Cheers

No probs. Cool.
Cheers
Have a cry champ.

I was right about this topic, you (and your ilk) were wrong.

Wayne doesn't have any offers (despite his efforts to convince everyone to contrary).

He's now desperately trying to shop his old arse around to nothing clubs like the Tigers.......

Should have taken the front office job.

For me it all comes down to whether the Board have already lined up a coach for 2020. If they haven't Bennett might still think he is a chance to change their decision about 2020 based on next season's results. If he thinks he is no hope he might decide to move on early. Maybe Oates and TPJ follow him out the door too. If I had to bet, I'd be on Bennett being at the Broncos next season.

Last edited:
Have a cry champ.

Wayne doesn't have any offers (despite his efforts to convince everyone to contrary).

He's now desperately trying to shop his old arse around to nothing clubs like the Tigers.......

Is there a point you're trying to make, or are you just all about the "I told you so". Because like I said last time, 50% of the supporter base were the same. I believe I told you that you weren't special, that's the only thing I might have been wrong about.

Have a cry champ.

It sounds like it’s the Broncos shopping him to the Tigers. For all we know Wayne does have other serious offers but the club is trying to expedite the process so they can move forward with a succession plan.

Last edited:
It sounds like it’s the Broncos shopping him to the Tigers. For all we know Wayne does have other serious offers but the club is trying to expedite the process so they can move forward with a succession plan.
To me that would be a very very poor decision from the broncos.

We're on the cusp of a premiership window and it is far too late in the piece to be shopping your coach around when we haven't even signed anyone to replace him.

The decision to sack a club legend who has significant ties with the playing group would be disastrous on moral... not to mention the new coach would have to come in and implement a new coaching strategy and potentially replace staff or be stuck with who he has.

They tried to expedite last year and it didn't work. Now is not the time to be looking for a new coach in 2019.

Have a cry champ.

Can you prove he hasnt had any offers? I seriously doubt you can, but i'm open to being proved wrong. I wont hold my breath though. You do tend to dribble a bib full when things start going wrong, then dissapear when we pick up. Funny that.

you are so full of shit it's not even funny

Exactly. And that article just puts 2+2 together and comes up with Wayne Bennett. No evidence its even from a decent source.

This is pretty simple journalism at play
Wayne and Ivan are both with the same management company. Wayne's about to leave the Broncos at the end of 19, Ivan wants to coach his son therefor lets throw out that Wayne's being shopped to the Tigers as a suitable replacement for 19 in order to get Ivan to the panthers in 2020 to link up with his son who just signed a 5 year deal with the Panthers on the condition that Ivan be coach yadadada

They will link him with the Rabbitohs next with Seibold to take over as our coach and Bennett to Souths in a direct swap.

He will be linked to every coaching gig available in the NRL for next year until he finds a new club. The pleasing thing about this is, he has a very good history of getting this out of the way very early in the season with both us, the dragons and the knights so we will definitely know his intentions early in the season. Then it will be up to us to get our players to stay. He will be hell bent on taking a few of the talented younger players with him especially if our recruitment officer cant see their potential. If they don't want Bennett pinching a few of our players, the club will need to get off their asses and announce a coach early on in the piece to get underway with recruitment for 2020

If WB is not at Broncs in 19 it will be his choice and nobody else's.

Have a cry champ.

As always you are full of it

There's no quotes from anybody in the article confirming it, just an opinion piece linking an off contract coach with a coaching vacancy

Since then all parties have denied it I believe?

Either way, you have no reason to believe WB is actually trying to get to the Tigers job, but it suits your anti Wayne agenda, so you use it as "evidence" of how clever you are and how crap Wayne is now

Seriously mate, is Wayne's first wife a relative of yours or something?

Try having a balanced view, it works out much better

The Wests Tigers are on the verge of striking a deal to release Ivan Cleary in the coming days as they move to finalise a long-term contract with super coach Wayne Bennett, potentially effective immediately.

NRL.com understands Cleary could be granted a release to join Penrith in 2019 as the Tigers ramp up discussions with Bennett about coaching the club from as early as next season.

It is understood the Tigers are willing to release Cleary in the coming days, with club officials of the view his position is almost untenable, but they are working through delicate negotiations with Bennett before signing off on their coach's release from the final two years of his deal.

Cleary has already committed to the Panthers for three years from the 2021 season.
Bennett still has another year to run at Brisbane, however the Broncos could be willing to part ways with the wily coach after recently informing him that his services wouldn't be required at Red Hill beyond the end of 2019.

The Australian reported on Wednesday that Bennett had expressed interest in the Tigers job. NRL.com understands matters have progressed a lot further this week.

Cleary's potential release from the Tigers would then result in him inking a five-year deal with the Panthers to coach the team which includes his son until at least 2023.

The Tigers have attracted interest from several coaches, including Bennett and Michael Maguire - a reflection of how far the club has come despite modest facilities and a lack of success on the field.
One of the sticking points in discussions with Bennett will revolve around money, with Bennett likely to have to take a substantial pay cut on a deal that is likely to be well less than a million dollars a year.

Given some of the criticism of Bennett in recent years, there's a feeling he may be willing to take a pay cut to still prove he has what it takes to lead a team to premiership glory.
The Tigers return to pre-season training on November 1, while Cleary is believed to be heading on an overseas trip with his family to Bali on Sunday.

Bennett will also be away with the English team for an international series against New Zealand in the United Kingdom later this month.

bennett-w--180209_jo_1--3.jpg

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett.©Jason O'Brien/NRL Photos

NRL.com revealed in August that the Panthers were interested in Cleary returning to the club three years after he was sacked by executive general manager Phil Gould.

Nathan Cleary, after playing a leading hand in the Blues' State of Origin series win in his first appearances in a NSW jersey, is considered the cornerstone of the Penrith franchise.

After extending his deal at the Panthers until the end of 2024 recently, the goal-kicking halfback told NRL.com his new contract had "nothing to do with my old man".

"I was happy to make the decision by myself. What happens in the future with dad is out of my control. I don't think I ever thought I was going to leave even with what was going on. I always thought I would stay and it would all work itself out eventually and yeah it did. This is a real happy place to be in at the moment."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/04...with-ivan-cleary-and-seal-wayne-bennett-deal/

Serious question, who the **** is going to coach the broncos if/when Wayne leaves?

I really struggle to find a decent available option?

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • phoenix
  • Footy Fanatic
  • whykickamoocow
  • Manofoneway
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • theshed
  • Evander
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Bish
  • mitch222
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • HarryAllan7
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Sproj
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.