MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
What have they been fined for?
Abusing the ground managers. Walking onto the field during play. Coaching from the sideline. Normally $5k an incident. Two or three incidents a game.

How is that obvious though??

Siebold is in his first year where he took them to a prelim... Maguire did the exact same thing in his first year. He also turned them into perennial heavyweights until they won it in 2014.
Correct.
But when comparing Maguire's last year at Rabbits with Siebold first year. He may have turned them into heavyweights initially but also turned them against himself in the end.

Abusing the ground managers. Walking onto the field during play. Coaching from the sideline. Normally $5k an incident. Two or three incidents a game.

Honestly mate, that's completely made up.

Never been fined once. What ISC club has $15k a week? You could have at least made it believable.

Last edited:
Personally i think it is time to move on from Bennett, although i would like to see him serve out the final year of his contract in 2019.

so let's look at the contenders to be the next coach of the greatest rugby league empire on the planet:

Kevin Walters:
  • Current QLD State of Origin coach
  • Assistants to both Bennett and Bellamy
  • Knows the Broncos culture and expectations
Personally, I'm not sold on Walters. I didn't like much of what i have seen of him in Origin and his top grade record in the ESL was pretty poor.

Michael Maguire:
  • Assistant to Bellamy
  • Premierships: Wigan (2010); Souths (2014)
  • Challenge cup champions (2011)
  • Won WCC and Auckland Nines in 2015
  • Current NZ coach
As far as candidates go, he has an impressive record. my only concern with him is will his intensity burn out the players like it did at the end of his Rabbitohs stint. if he has learned his lessons from that, then he could be exactly what this team needs

Anthony Seibold:
  • Worked as an assistant to Bellamy
  • current QLD Assistant coach
  • current Dally M "Coach of the Yeat"
  • Finalists in his first season at the Rabbitohs
For me, it may be a bit early to look at Seibold, I have liked what i have seen from him this year, but 1 year doesn't make a career

Jason Demetriou:
  • Current Broncos assistant to Bennett
  • Assistant to Paul Green in their premiership year
  • ISC Minor premierships (2013, 2014)
  • ISC Premiership (2014)
  • ISP Pemiership (2016)
  • NRL State Champions (2014, 2016)
An impressive lower grade record, but the big question is will that translate to the top grade. He will get his chance one day, but after the failures of Henjak and Griffin, the club needs to go with an experienced first grade mentor IMO

Verdict:

Michael Maguire looks to be out best option, if he has learned his lessons. He has also reportedly just turned down a big money offer from the Sea Eagles.

Kevvie had two minor premierships with Toowoomba and Ipswich and one premiership with Toowoomba. Coached at 67% win rate in his 106 games.
Seibold not involved with Queensland this year- Hannay took over his gig.

Honestly mate, that's completely made up.

Never been fined once. What ISC club has $15k a week? You could have at least made it believable.
Never been fined once? What’s your source. Last occasion involved QRL head of operations confronting Jets CEO regarding their antics again resulting in a breach notice. You are quite correct the Jets cannot afford these breach notices and that was the point of my post together with no we don't want he Walkers.

Last edited:
Never been fined once? What’s your source. My source is a ground manager that had the unpleasant experience of having to deal with them on three occasions this year. Last occasion involved QRL head of operations confronting Jets CEO regarding their antics again resulting in a breech notice. You are quite correct the Jets cannot afford these breech notices and that was the point of my post together with no we don't want he Walkers.

Your source is not a good one. Unless you can actually show us, I call bullshit.

Never been fined once? What’s your source. My source is a ground manager that had the unpleasant experience of having to deal with them on three occasions this year. Last occasion involved QRL head of operations confronting Jets CEO regarding their antics again resulting in a breech notice. You are quite correct the Jets cannot afford these breech notices and that was the point of my post together with no we don't want he Walkers.

I think they would get pulled into line pretty quickly. A basket case like Manly could be just the right fit for them

I don't see Bennett landing at the Tigers to be honest however there is one major club I would see him going to and that would be Parramatta. They are desperate for a premiership and he might be the coach they need to get it. Plus Arthur needs a big start to the season to justify his position considering the fall they had this year. With parras junior system, Bennett could actually do a bit of damage with that at his disposal.

I don't see Bennett landing at the Tigers to be honest however there is one major club I would see him going to and that would be Parramatta. They are desperate for a premiership and he might be the coach they need to get it. Plus Arthur needs a big start to the season to justify his position considering the fall they had this year. With parras junior system, Bennett could actually do a bit of damage with that at his disposal.
The board is too dysfunctional for Wayne imo. Those ***** cant even run a chook raffle without there being some sort of controversy, and in fighting.

Last edited:
I'm calling it now - Macguire to be confirmed as our coach and Bennett confirmed elsewhere by this time next week.

I'm calling it now - Macguire to be confirmed as our coach and Bennett confirmed elsewhere by this time next week.
really stepping out of your comfort zone there mate. what next, the sun will rise tomorrow?

really stepping out of your comfort zone there mate. what next, the sun will rise tomorrow?

I know right! Like to live life on the edge haha. Seriously though, all this rumour-mongering can't be good for the club, or the players. Better to get it sorted before pre-season training starts in 3 weeks surely.

Correct.
But when comparing Maguire's last year at Rabbits with Siebold first year. He may have turned them into heavyweights initially but also turned them against himself in the end.
Time will tell, but all that is known is both coaches turned the team around in their rookie year... Madge then continued to have them firing for the next 2 winning a GF in the process before the playing group apparently got "burnt out" (absolute cop out if you ask me).

We'll see what Siebold can do in his second year, but I think their defence is a little too suspect to be considered heavy weights just yet.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • Manofoneway
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  • Morkel
  • Xzei
  • sooticus
  • KnToad
  • Justwin
  • Thelmus
  • Fitzy
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.