MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
I respect everyone's opinion that is different to mine but I'll just say this - I can guarantee most of us wouldn't even be supportering the Broncos if it wasn't for the success Wayne Bennett built.
Yeah but with that logic we should all be praising hitler for what he did for banking and medicine... Yeah... I don't think so.

If I ever get cancer (touch wood that I don't), I hope it is made up of six titles and a .640 winning pctg in the last four years. He brought a grace and eloquence to this club and a brilliant football brain that will never be rivalled. And now we have some guy named Seibs, a pot bellied bogan type dude who has as much grace as a Logan strip club. A very sad day.

Jeezus, go follow him to Souths.

If I ever get cancer (touch wood that I don't), I hope it is made up of six titles and a .640 winning pctg in the last four years. He brought a grace and eloquence to this club and a brilliant football brain that will never be rivalled. And now we have some guy named Seibs, a pot bellied bogan type dude who has as much grace as a Logan strip club. A very sad day.

I’ve read some shit in my time but this will do for today. The grace and eloquence in particular are hilarious.

Darius is that you?

Yeah but with that logic we should all be praising hitler for what he did for banking and medicine... Yeah... I don't think so.
All I'm saying is, many people on here seem to despise and hate Wayne for whatever reason when we should simply respect the man who made us what we are. We should be grateful for the success he's given us and now, we move on a year sooner.

You sound like Shakespeare brainstorming a romance play

Last edited:
For $900k a year for the next four years I'm sure he'll manage.
I don't care how Seibold does financially, that's not my business. I want him to win us premierships and he's under immense pressure to take us to that level of success.

Yeah you need to feel for Seibold through all this. Bennett has been on $1m+ a year for over a decade, and has been one of the best paid coaches for the past 20 years. He is very safe financially yet it was him who was trying to con the Broncos out of money to get a double pay packet. Seibold has been an a teacher, an assistant and one year as a head coach on what one would assume was not a huge salary. He has had to figure out living situations with a young family which wouldn't be easy.

From the get go he basically said he was happy to do whatever. He said he was happy to coach us, and was happy to coach them and that he would leave it to the clubs to decide. From reports, it appears publicly Bennett was always saying he was staying, but behind the scenes said other things to other players and clubs.

I'm glad this is over, and I hope Seibold and his family can settle back in to Queensland nicely before the start of the school year in 2019.

I really can't like this post any more than I do. Well said sir!

Last edited:
I don't care how Seibold does financially, that's not my business. I want him to win us premierships and he's under immense pressure to take us to that level of success.
Such is life if you wanna take the reins of the biggest club in Australia. I'm confident after a few years his drive, determination and innovative ideas will bring us the success we all want.

Unfortunately in this business, it's difficult to write your own fairytales. If it was up to the Brisbane Broncos, the meeting with Craig Bellamy would never have been leaked, Bennett would have served out his contract and Brisbane would have announced Seibold in a timely manner.

Everybody had different ideas, it became a circus and there was never going to be an easy way out for everyone. Either Wayne got his shot at a happy ending, leaving Seibold to flap in the wind, or it would transpire the way that it has with a brief announcement.

In this situation you either fall into two camps. On one side is the sentimental camp, the one that believes Bennett had this young squad on track and was capable of premiership glory in 2019. The other is the side that begs for the Broncos of yesteryear, the side that doesn't compromise and is constantly looking towards the future.

There will be time to celebrate Bennett's career and everything he's done for the club in both stints. For now, it's a beginning of a brand new era and Seibold has the opportunity to forge his own legacy. It's a blank slate and all eyes will be on how he handles the rest of the pre-season.

Thanks for your service Wayne, shame it had to end this way but you brought a lot of it on yourself in the end.

Last edited:
Unfortunately in this business, it's difficult to write your own fairytales. If it was up to the Brisbane Broncos, the meeting with Craig Bellamy would never have been leaked, Bennett would have served out his contract and Brisbane would have announced Seibold in a timely manner.

Everybody had different ideas, it became a circus and there was never going to be an easy way out for everyone. Either Wayne got his shot at a happy ending, leaving Seibold to flap in the wind, or it would transpire the way that it has with a brief announcement.

In this situation you either fall into two camps. On one side is the sentimental camp, the one that believes Bennett had this young squad on track and was capable of premiership glory in 2019. The other is the side that begs for the Broncos of yesteryear, the side that doesn't compromise and is constantly looking towards the future.

There will be time to celebrate Bennett's career and everything he's done for the club in both stints. For now, it's a beginning of a brand new era and Seibold has the opportunity to forge his own legacy. It's a blank slate and all eyes will be on how he handles the rest of the pre-season.

Well said Pete!

Such is life if you wanna take the reins of the biggest club in Australia. I'm confident after a few years his drive, determination and innovative ideas will bring us the success we all want.
What are you basing your confidence off? Seibold has only coached in the NRL for one season and did really well.

I'm not saying he won't continue his success from Souths but we all better hope he isn't the next Griffin and Henjak.

Seibolds concerns would likely have been shared with many of the Rabbits senior management, in particular Richardson, could have been anyone of them (or Seibold himself) that leaked the email ...

Given the Rabbitohs apparent desperation for the swap to happen immediately, maybe they thought leaking the email to the media was the best way to ensure the Broncos sacked Wayne Bennett, knowing that it would give the club cause to sack him without either club paying a cent in compo
Would it make any sense for the Rabbits to leak it though? By doing that they are going to proper piss Bennett off, the guy who will be their coach for 3 years.

We can only speculate because I doubt the truth of who leaked it will ever come out, but the only person I can see who would have motivation to leak it is Seibold himself. He was fucking furious, he lost his shit, it's not a huge leap to think he went home and said **** this bullshit and leaked it to the media. It is after all, his words that were leaked.

What motivation would a random staffer at the Rabbits have to do it unless they seriously dislike Seibold and wanted him out ASAP, or unless they seriously dislike WB but then by doing that they're getting him a year early.

I don't know, it's a mess. The end result better be worthwhile.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Mustafur
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.