Wayne's World No Longer Relevant

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
I think we owe Bennett more than that. We're still in contention, and if we had our full line up and Jack Bird was performing then we'd be top 4 right now. There are some external factors with Titans/Dragons/Sharks/injuries fucking us over a bit too. We're still a good footy side that can beat any side on our day at full strength.
Fair opinion but it doesn't correspond with my own. We need ruthlessness not sentimentality. WB has been "tapping players a year too early rather than a year too late" (except for Darius of course). Now it's his turn to perform and quickly. He is getting well over 1mil a year. Why do you think the club owes him rather than he owes the club?

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
I think we owe Bennett more than that. We're still in contention, and if we had our full line up and Jack Bird was performing then we'd be top 4 right now. There are some external factors with Titans/Dragons/Sharks/injuries fucking us over a bit too. We're still a good footy side that can beat any side on our day at full strength.
The two bits in bold are really only speculation, as we simply cannot know how we would be going in such a scenario.

I can accept that’s how we should be going and how we’d all like us to be going.

But taking into account how awful we’ve looked at times over the last 2 and a bit seasons (in particular 2018), it’s certainly (and unfortunately) not a given.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
Getting rid of Wayne Bennett isn't going to magically make this competition easier, or improve the Broncos. It's one of the most competitive leagues in the world with very tight restrictions on advantages clubs can have. Those are just the realities of the NRL.

The fact that we've had the success we've had since Bennett's return, all clubs except for Storm would be envious of. I mean it's only the 2nd best record in the NRL.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Sure. Anyone who dares criticise the Messiah, WB has a nefarious agenda but the Messiah did tap Parker a year too early and slightly thereafter re-signed on big money the guy who is already playing like a dud the first year into his big money 4 year deal and signed the guy who has now been dropped after a few games in first grade for 4 years on big money. I mean, it has seemed to me for a while someone has an agenda that isn't necessarily in the best interests of the club but based on his history, just thought he must have a plan I can't understand. I no longer think that. I just think he has coached a year too long.

You know that unless another club is willing to pick up the entirety of their (Boyd and Bird) salary before their current deals have ended, the Broncos are stuck paying the difference and it is counted in the salary cap? Given his age, another club may pick up part of Bird's salary but probably less than half. I can't see any other club being interested in Boyd unless the Broncos are paying the vast majority of his salary. No, I fear this is going to set us back by several years. Even after their salaries end, we will likely lose several players in the meantime.
Of course you'll put your hand up, timidly if proven completely and utterly wrong ? You'll be the first to shout out 'what a premature twat I am, talking through my arse as though I know everything and WB knows nothing'.

You've written off Bird even though you know he had no preseason, is carrying an injury and the some of the guys around him aren't firing. You KNOW WB tapped Parker and made him retire a year early. You'd have to be the most judgemental of posters ever to come on here, I'd think you'd be fairly young because you're so utterly convinced you know all there is to know.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Of course you'll put your hand up, timidly if proven completely and utterly wrong ? You'll be the first to shout out 'what a premature twat I am, talking through my arse as though I know everything and WB knows nothing'.

You've written off Bird even though you know he had no preseason, is carrying an injury and the some of the guys around him aren't firing. You KNOW WB tapped Parker and made him retire a year early. You'd have to be the most judgemental of posters ever to come on here, I'd think you'd be fairly young because you're so utterly convinced you know all there is to know.

WOW, I thought Wolfy was bad. What is your relationship to WB? There must be something for you to take it so personally. At the end of the day, I don't give a **** whether you like it or not. WB should be held accountable just like everyone else.

In answer to your question, no, I won't state that but I will (gladly) say I was wrong (I take it you are talking about my opinion that he has been in the business a year too long).

Bird is a fine player. From what I saw of him at Cronulla. In the GF a few years ago he was good as a hard running centre. Like an upgrade of Opacic or Reed but not worth close to a mil or a mil a year. He seems to have gotten bigger and slower. He may be able to make a go of it as a lock but we already have one of the best locks. It's quite a conundrum. Ridiculous decision to sign him on big money for 4 years and leads me to think WB has been in the business a year too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
WOW, I thought Wolfy was bad. What is your relationship to WB? There must be something for you to take it so personally. At the end of the day, I don't give a f**k whether you like it or not. WB should be held accountable just like everyone else.

but you want him held accountable for the media's version of events while he was at Newcastle ... not his results in his second Broncos stint, which FTR are the second best in the league.

any other coach in the world would be given a chance to turn around the teams fortunes (after the results from the previous 3 years).

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
WOW, I thought Wolfy was bad. What is your relationship to WB? There must be something for you to take it so personally. At the end of the day, I don't give a **** whether you like it or not. WB should be held accountable just like everyone else.

In answer to your question, no, I won't state that but I will (gladly) say I was wrong (I take it you are talking about my opinion that he has been in the business a year too long).

Bird is a fine player. From what I saw of him at Cronulla. In the GF a few years ago he was good as a hard running centre. Like an upgrade of Opacic or Reed but not worth close to a mil or a mil a year. He seems to have gotten bigger and slower. He may be able to make a go of it as a lock but we already have one of the best locks. It's quite a conundrum. Ridiculous decision to sign him on big money for 4 years and leads me to think WB has been in the business a year too long.
No, I have absolutely no problem with accountability. I do dislike premature ( immature ?) judgement. You know the type, judging someone on a few rounds even when extenuating circumstances exist. Where does this figure of a million a year come from ? How can you claim its a year too long when the results of the season are unknown? Premature.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
but you want him held accountable for the media's version of events while he was at Newcastle ... not his results in his second Broncos stint, which FTR are the second best in the league.

any other coach in the world would be given a chance to turn around the teams fortunes (after the results from the previous 3 years).
No, I don't. If there isn't dramatic and consistent improvement, I'm in favor of an thorough and impartial review to see if he sees out the final year of his contract. If he were a 40 year-old rookie, I'd be in favor of cutting him some slack but I fear cutting WB too much slack now will us mired in mediocrity for the next 4-5 years due to what he is doing now.

But of course I could be wrong. A thorough and impartial investigation, privy to all the facts I'm not, should be able to get to the bottom of it. For all I know he has a master-plan and it's playing out just as he foresaw it would. I'm just critical because from the outside looking in, it doesn't look like it to me.

Would you be against such an investigation?

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
No, I have absolutely no problem with accountability. I do dislike premature ( immature ?) judgement. You know the type, judging someone on a few rounds even when extenuating circumstances exist. Where does this figure of a million a year come from ? How can you claim its a year too long when the results of the season are unknown? Premature.
How many times do I have to say it? Are you only semi-literate? If there isn't a dramatic and consistent improvement.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
No, I don't. If there isn't dramatic and consistent improvement, I'm in favor of an thorough and impartial review to see if he sees out the final year of his contract. If he were a 40 year-old rookie, I'd be in favor of cutting him some slack but I fear cutting WB too much slack now will us mired in mediocrity for the next 4-5 years due to what he is doing now.

But of course I could be wrong. A thorough and impartial investigation, privy to all the facts I'm not, should be able to get to the bottom of it. For all I know he has a master-plan and it's playing out just as he foresaw it would. I'm just critical because from the outside looking in, it doesn't look like it to me.

Would you be against such an investigation?
Perhaps if this was your initial position things would have played out differently.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Perhaps if this was your initial position things would have played out differently.
What? I'm afraid the fact that some people don't see your Messiah as a Messiah has you in such a terrible state of nervous irritation you are no longer making any sense at all.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Dramatic and consistent hey ? I'm happy with gradual improvement but then again, I'm not you.

You are happy with mediocrity. A gradual improvement on the first 10 rounds will us finish well outside the 8.

I know you are not me. You didn't need to tell me that. Just step away from the keyboard, and take some deep breaths.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
What? I'm afraid the fact that some people don't see your Messiah as a Messiah has you in such a terrible state of nervous irritation you are no longer making any sense at all.
Therein lays the problem. When others take a balanced and mature approach your childlike insistence bubbles to the surface. I'm more like the tolerant parent, gazing indifferently on his screaming child, kicking his feet in the centre of the Woolworths aisle.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Oooooh oooooh speaking of Woolworths remember a few months back when some people got excited Coles cracked the code to the bigmac sauce? Well I saw this in Woolies today.

679544.jpg

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Oooooh oooooh speaking of Woolworths remember a few months back when some people got excited Coles cracked the code to the bigmac sauce? Well I saw this in Woolies today.

679544.jpg
Jack Bird would be salivating right about now

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

679544.jpg

That better go in the Credit thread.

The Coles one trumped the Aldi one, because it was way better, and the Aldi one didn't have "Special" in the name.

But the Woolies one has "Secret". How will this play out?!?!?!?!

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Jedhead
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • whykickamoocow
  • Alec
  • Fozz
  • TimWhatley
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.