Wayne's World No Longer Relevant

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
But you can 't use this as a defence of WBs coaching because this is the team he has put together. As the original poster in this thread stated, 2015 was the team Griffin built. Personally I doubt Griffin could have done as good a job with it but that is hypothetical. What isn't hypothetical is that this is WBs team so if they are rubbish, the buck stops with him.
But 2015 was not really Griffin's team either. Griffin had Hunt on the bench and almost ruined him.
Wayne brought in Darius and Blair and got rid of Barba who really wasn't doing anything. That's a cop out. Wayne saw what the team needed and brought it along. Unfortunately for him because of the years stagnating on the bench Hunt was unable to close out a game and thus cost us the GF.

Also, was it Bennett or Griffin who got Milford across the line? That's a bit murky, Hook may have started negotiations but I think WB may have got on the phone.
------------------------
I think our defensive issues are because we are trying desperately to cover up for Kodi, he's lost his minder in Gillett and nobody else knows what to do. And Boyd is playing on 1 leg like rubbish.

Boyd in the team is all 100% on Wayne.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Was Bennett a realist or a “negative Nancy”, as you put it, when he unceremoniously shoved Wally out the door?

Just about every Broncos supporter (and most of the administration too) was livid at Bennett and hated that decision, but hindsight will prove that Bennett could see it was best for the team.

Now let me be clear, I’m not saying flicking Bennett is the right decision, but you simply cannot deny that everyone slows. Nor can he simply rest on his laurels like some would be happy for him to do.

Every Broncos player has always been answerable to Bennett (during his reign) but I ask you this: is there anyone at the Broncos with the balls to give Wayne the tap, like he has to so many of his players, if things continue the way they are?

After all, some of those very same players had dedicated their entire career to the Broncos, sacrificing so much through injury and smaller contracts, but were either no longer valuable when their performances started to decline or simply didn’t suit the plan and/or salary cap moving forward.

If it’s good for the goose, it’s good for the gander. After all, in 2018, it’s not rugby league anymore, it’s a business. Businesses demand success, plain and simple.

Honestly, some people’s unabashed defence of Bennett as though he simply cannot put a foot wrong or that he is beyond even the slightest criticism is laughable.

@Porthoz said it best: if you don’t unequivocally support Bennett it somehow makes you less of a supporter.

How did I even defend Bennett? I didn't even talk about that. Bennett has clearly made mistakes this year and I'm not defending that, but it cuts both ways. I'm sick of this attitude that to be a realist you have to constantly bag everyone.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
But 2015 was not really Griffin's team either. Griffin had Hunt on the bench and almost ruined him.
Wayne brought in Darius and Blair and got rid of Barba who really wasn't doing anything. That's a cop out. Wayne saw what the team needed and brought it along. Unfortunately for him because of the years stagnating on the bench Hunt was unable to close out a game and thus cost us the GF.

Also, was it Bennett or Griffin who got Milford across the line? That's a bit murky, Hook may have started negotiations but I think WB may have got on the phone.
------------------------
I think our defensive issues are because we are trying desperately to cover up for Kodi, he's lost his minder in Gillett and nobody else knows what to do. And Boyd is playing on 1 leg like rubbish.

Boyd in the team is all 100% on Wayne.

We will have to agree to disagree on that. We all know what Barba went and did at the Shonkies. Also, I apologize if I'm wrong but I'm quite sure Hunt was brought into the starting side around halfway through the season. Finally, Milford was announced to have signed before it was announced Griffin was sacked. Bennett was set to sign with St George but at the last minute the Broncos trumped their offer. According to media reports.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
How did I even defend Bennett? I didn't even talk about that. Bennett has clearly made mistakes this year and I'm not defending that, but it cuts both ways. I'm sick of this attitude that to be a realist you have to constantly bag everyone.
Goes the other way too. If we aren't shitting on Bennett in every thread we are sycophants. He's been blamed for literally everything at this point. Sometimes when there's obvious answers out there it's difficult to not back him up.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Goes the other way too. If we aren't shitting on Bennett in every thread we are sycophants. He's been blamed for literally everything at this point. Sometimes when there's obvious answers out there it's difficult to not back him up.
That is not true. I was bold enough to mildly criticise WB on another thread and the vitriol was incredible. It's fine to support him. I'm critical of him but I and everyone I have seen posting on the subject want to give him until the end of the year to turn things around. What's the problem with this? Why is ok for WB to tap players a year too early (Parker and others) but seemingly it will never be ok to tap WB? He should be accountable just as everyone else.

M

Maroon4life

QCup Player
May 28, 2016
Can we stop acting like our main problems aren't dropping the ball, having our bench utility play halfback and getting run over every week, our winger coming off his wing too often and injuries?

We can't do set plays because we can't hold onto the ball.
We can't defend like previous years because we have speed bumps out there and our winger doesn't understand how numbers work.
We can't play well because we have too many second string players out there.

It's so obvious and anything else is a massive reach at this point of time.

Disagree with most of this.

We’ve never had set plays under Bennett, since 2015 we’ve gone back too sweep plays which we can no longer execute due to Boyd’s weaknesses this year. Aside from the sweep play we’ve gotten by through pure individual skill of Hunt,Milf,Oates & Roberts.

Defence is attitude, the guys we run out are big and ugly enough to get that job right, we were smaller in 2015 all across the park.

Who are these 2nd string players? Aside from Gillett who was a passenger for the first 7 rounds we aren’t really missing anyone that is all that game changing, the new guys have been our best players on the field.

The only reach I can see are people who don’t find this team to be poorly coached across the board. When I say that I mean skills coaching, defence, discipline and just a good team attitude, it’s all missing and Wayne’s responsible for it.

It’s been discussed everyday but for us to end up with Bird and Knik at #7 will probably end up being Wayne’s biggest bundle that will hurt us for a few years.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
That is not true. I was bold enough to mildly criticise WB on another thread and the vitriol was incredible. It's fine to support him. I'm critical of him but I and everyone I have seen posting on the subject want to give him until the end of the year to turn things around. What's the problem with this? Why is ok for WB to tap players a year too early (Parker and others) but seemingly it will never be ok to tap WB? He should be accountable just as everyone else.
Because he was tapping them based on facts and knowledge and you're wanting him tapped based on bias, guesses and the media telling you what's going on at the club. The players are responsible for the way they're playing as well but everyone is silent about that. Plus having six threads shitting on Bennett for the same reasons, reasons that are fabricated, is too much.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Disagree with most of this.

We’ve never had set plays under Bennett, since 2015 we’ve gone back too sweep plays which we can no longer execute due to Boyd’s weaknesses this year. Aside from the sweep play we’ve gotten by through pure individual skill of Hunt,Milf,Oates & Roberts.

Defence is attitude, the guys we run out are big and ugly enough to get that job right, we were smaller in 2015 all across the park.

Who are these 2nd string players? Aside from Gillett who was a passenger for the first 7 rounds we aren’t really missing anyone that is all that game changing, the new guys have been our best players on the field.

The only reach I can see are people who don’t find this team to be poorly coached across the board. When I say that I mean skills coaching, defence, discipline and just a good team attitude, it’s all missing and Wayne’s responsible for it.

It’s been discussed everyday but for us to end up with Bird and Knik at #7 will probably end up being Wayne’s biggest bundle that will hurt us for a few years.
That sweep play still works regularly and only ever messes up when the ref decides it's a forward pass, the defence creeps up on Boyd or a player runs right in front of Boyd. Apart from a few errors, hardly any of that is Boyds fault.

The guys we run out might be, but with Kodi out there getting run over four times a game what are we supposed to do?

Literal second grade players who are there because numerous players are injured. We've had Kahu, Gillett and McGuire out for a while now. All defensively good players. The players replacing them can't defend for the whole game due to their lack of experience. It's already been said numerous times.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
The part in bold; fair point, I can definitely accept that I was wrong there. My apology.

With regards to it cutting both ways though; from my one comment (or perhaps from the small cross section of comments I’ve made criticising Bennett, I’m not sure, only you can tell me) you’ve deduced that I’m one of the realists you speak of that is constantly bagging everyone? Bit rich don’t you think?

I appreciate people remaining optimistic (I really do) and honestly wish I could be more positive about our season. But I also don’t want to bury my head in the sand and ignore the clear-as-day problems that we have. I’d like to constructively talk about them, with others that either agree or disagree. Isn’t that the idea of a forum?

I guess my point is; focusing on one word of a lengthy and detailed comment and adding a one line remark (this should not be misread as a joke, I love a well thought out quip as much as the next person) to be sarcastically negative about someone elses comments that you think are, of all things, negative really is quite sanctimonious, don’t you think?

Maybe a less inflammatory happy-medium would be to label such a broad cross section of people as sceptical rather than negative. Or better yet, add something of substance to the conversation so that we can discuss it like adults.

M

Maroon4life

QCup Player
May 28, 2016
That sweep play still works regularly and only ever messes up when the ref decides it's a forward pass, the defence creeps up on Boyd or a player runs right in front of Boyd. Apart from a few errors, hardly any of that is Boyds fault.

The guys we run out might be, but with Kodi out there getting run over four times a game what are we supposed to do?

Literal second grade players who are there because numerous players are injured. We've had Kahu, Gillett and McGuire out for a while now. All defensively good players. The players replacing them can't defend for the whole game due to their lack of experience. It's already been said numerous times.

Well it seems we agree on the sweep play, for any number of reasons we aren’t having success with it, only bring it up because it has been our bread and butter as far as organised play is concerned. Too me I put it down too coaching, it seems like the most basic of plays to learn and master as far as set plays go for professional NRL players.

I think Su’A TPJ & Haas (the one game he played without getting hurt) have all been great defensively, certainly haven’t missed McGuire’s penalty count.

And I agree on Kodi, spoke about it in a previous thread, his defensive effort in the manly game was not even schoolboy level of skill or effort, 5 of their 6 tries has him letting them through or just being run over the top off. Was Bennett that put him there and publically guaranteed his spot and subsequently hooked him for bird & then reinstated him. People are rightfully questioning ol’ Wayne’s abilities.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Well it seems we agree on the sweep play, for any number of reasons we aren’t having success with it, only bring it up because it has been our bread and butter as far as organised play is concerned. Too me I put it down too coaching, it seems like the most basic of plays to learn and master as far as set plays go for professional NRL players.

I think Su’A TPJ & Haas (the one game he played without getting hurt) have all been great defensively, certainly haven’t missed McGuire’s penalty count.

And I agree on Kodi, spoke about it in a previous thread, his defensive effort in the manly game was not even schoolboy level of skill or effort, 5 of their 6 tries has him letting them through or just being run over the top off. Was Bennett that put him there and publically guaranteed his spot and subsequently hooked him for bird & then reinstated him. People are rightfully questioning ol’ Wayne’s abilities.
The play still works regularly though, but what other set plays do teams use regularly?

Those players hit well but aren't used to the intricacies of defending in first grade. They will get there eventually.

Don't believe anything Bennett says to the media. I guarantee what he has told Kodi is completely different.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Guys, cut the personal remarks out of the conversation or there will be thread bans and warnings issued.

These type of discussions always get heated, but the truth is, the majority of us come here to read, and debate the topics at hand, not to see personal bickering.

Ignore people you can't be civil with, and keep your comments about the the topic, not the posters.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
WB was definitely coming from the beginning of May 2014 and likely earlier. I heard it straight from the board of directors at an event I went to. Not sure how that fits in with Milford’s signing date.

Considering that Griffin tried to get Milford for the 2014 season, I'm pretty confident that the efforts to get Milford here happened way before Bennett's return was even a thought.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Our fans are getting just as bad as the bulldogs fans last year with Hasler. Only problem is, we arent even near half as bad as they were last year/this year and we do have a future.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Considering that Griffin tried to get Milford for the 2014 season, I'm pretty confident that the efforts to get Milford here happened way before Bennett's return was even a thought.
Griffin also tried to get Cam Smith here and quite a few other guys too. Didn't happen though.....but that wasn't my original point. My point was that the 2015 team was not "Griffin's Team" it was definitely both coaches who had a hand in it.
Let's say it was Paul White's team.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Milford would have stayed at Canberra if it wasn't for Bennett.

Rellum

Rellum

BRL Player
Sep 30, 2016
The play still works regularly though, but what other set plays do teams use regularly?

Those players hit well but aren't used to the intricacies of defending in first grade. They will get there eventually.

Don't believe anything Bennett says to the media. I guarantee what he has told Kodi is completely different.
Sweep plays as you call them don't work that often because in my mid we are just doing them from the play the ball.

If we set up to attack this way, or heaven forbid a few other backline movements, from a TPJ offload, or other forwards they would be so much more dangerous.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.