WCC: Broncos vs Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The match will be televised on TV channel Gem at 5.30am Qld time (6.30am AEDT) on Sunday morning February 22.

It's my best mates' bucks night on the Saturday....looks like I'm having an all nighter

If I'm completely honest, aside from the players who are staying home, I don't think the squad is going to look hugely different from this come Round 1.

i agree.

i like the idea of nikorima as a floating impact player late in each half, i guess its going to be a chance to see how he handles things. for mine it doesnt necessarily mean he has to directly replace macca on the field. it could open us up a bit defensively, but i guess we'll see.

hodges travelling suggests to me he'll be named club captain before next weekend.

i like the fact that there seemst o be a hell of a lot more stability and certainty about the shape up of our squad this year, compared to the last couple.

I agree with a lot that's been said - no real surprises other than Kodi Nikorima as the back-up utility.

Opacic's inclusion would have been considered a surprise if Badel didn't break it days if not weeks ago. His inclusion is really interesting in the sense that I don't think he would have been granted the opportunity if Bennett wasn't coaching the side. That isn't to say Hook wouldn't have given him the pre-season, but it appeared as if he was a bigger fan of Jordan Drew. I believe Drew has more talent and unlike others in that squad, has demonstrated such in the NYC but there's little doubt that Opacic has been more consistent across the past two years. For those who haven't seen him, he's a lot like Jack Reed. A very competitive player who can be dangerous close to the line and doesn't sweat the hard stuff. He's got a few fans on here and I must admit that watching him, I didn't think he'd be anything more than a Mitch Rivett style player...and that's at best.

In saying that, the big news is definitely the inclusion of Kodi Nikorima as a utility. I remember there was word around this time last year that the coaching staff was beginning to view Jayden as a utility in their future plans in the Elisala (RIP) mould but I couldn't see that extending to Kodi. It's an interesting move and could be quite handy coming off the bench but I have a lot of concerns, particularly in defence where Kodi has really struggled in the past. And I don't really buy into the notion that Wayne knows what he's doing because if anything the dummy half spot has been one of his biggest weaknesses and he's made multiple mistakes there over his coaching career. Outside of his defence, my big concern is that Kodi is an instinctual player with very little experience in the dummy half position. I could see him making plenty of mistakes for little reward.

That maybe diving into the deep-end a bit and I think this is just Wayne giving a kid like Kodi an opportunity to gain this invaluable experience and see how he handles it.

As for Wigan, I watched their season opener against the Widnes Vikings and they looked a little dusty. Despite having a one man advantage and receiving the benefit of a lot of calls, they failed to put the Vikings away and ended up sharing the points. They were missing players including Josh Charnley who was taken out quite early in the match but I think they're pretty vulnerable even by ESL standards. If Brisbane are to win, I'd be expecting big performances from McGuire, Parker, Hodges and McCullough. Play them through the middle with quick play the balls, that's how Widnes were able to pull it out of the fire.

Did I miss a pre-season injury to Copley?

No smoke and mirrors- a back injury like I said.

It will be a debut in a Broncos’ jersey for another off-season signing of the Broncos on Saturday with Mitch Garbutt to have his first hit out with the club.

Garbutt, who played nine NRL matches for the Melbourne Storm before signing with the Broncos, has been troubled by a back complaint through the pre-season.
However he has been cleared to play his first match this year and was today named in the front row.
It will not be Garbutt’s first battle at Kougari Oval either after playing Queensland Cup with the Seagulls’ fierce rivals Easts Tigers the past two years.

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2015/02/11/eden_s_first_crack_a.html

Did I miss a pre-season injury to Copley?

Nah he had shoulder(?) surgery in the off-season, a lingering issue he played through last year, he'll be ready for Round 1 apparently.

Hello Broncos fans,

I come in peace..

As you can tell from my user name I am a born and bred Wigan Warriors fan, living in Wigan.

Looking forward to our game greatly and have been wondering how this expanded WCC is being received over there in Australia. Over here its getting pretty mixed views, some fans are saying the two non final games are pointless, others are saying we need to do something to promote RL ( in this country ) and elsewhere.

My fear is that you guys are so wrapped up in the NRL that soon enough you wont have any international competition at all, our great sport is really on its knees everywhere except a part of the Australasian continent.

Over here its soccer, soccer, soccer.. Wigan is a real die hard RL town and yet if I travel even 15 miles to Bolton, the next town, no-one has even heard that there is a WCC game on ! We are being strangled by soccer.

Anyway, back to the game.. sorry for the mini rant :laugh:.. I think Wigan can hold their own in this game and possibly even win it. In one off games like these, especially where you guys are going into it pre season and having travelled half way round the world, we can match you. Our top clubs would go ok in the NRL ( I watch all NRL games live thanks to satellite tv ! ). The problem we have is we only really have 3 or 4 top clubs then the standard does slip meaning we havent got a meaningful competition like you have over there.

Finally, if any of you guys or anyone you know is actually coming over for the game, we would be happy show you the delights of our small working class town. However, it rains, its grey and most likely cold so if I may take this chance to give you some advice, save your cash :laugh::laugh:

Hello Broncos fans,

I come in peace..

As you can tell from my user name I am a born and bred Wigan Warriors fan, living in Wigan.

Looking forward to our game greatly and have been wondering how this expanded WCC is being received over there in Australia. Over here its getting pretty mixed views, some fans are saying the two non final games are pointless, others are saying we need to do something to promote RL ( in this country ) and elsewhere.

My fear is that you guys are so wrapped up in the NRL that soon enough you wont have any international competition at all, our great sport is really on its knees everywhere except a part of the Australasian continent.

Over here its soccer, soccer, soccer.. Wigan is a real die hard RL town and yet if I travel even 15 miles to Bolton, the next town, no-one has even heard that there is a WCC game on ! We are being strangled by soccer.

Anyway, back to the game.. sorry for the mini rant :laugh:.. I think Wigan can hold their own in this game and possibly even win it. In one off games like these, especially where you guys are going into it pre season and having travelled half way round the world, we can match you. Our top clubs would go ok in the NRL ( I watch all NRL games live thanks to satellite tv ! ). The problem we have is we only really have 3 or 4 top clubs then the standard does slip meaning we havent got a meaningful competition like you have over there.

Finally, if any of you guys or anyone you know is actually coming over for the game, we would be happy show you the delights of our small working class town. However, it rains, its grey and most likely cold so if I may take this chance to give you some advice, save your cash :laugh::laugh:
Welcome. WWF. Can't see the Broncos getting close in this one. We have too many staying home, maybe they heard about the weather.
Have you got a line on the Wigan side that will play?

Here's my stab at it...

1. Matt Bowen
2. Josh Charnley
3. Anthony Gelling
4. Dan Sarginson
5. Joe Burgess
6. George Williams
7. Matty Smith
8. Dom Crosby
9. Mike McIlorum
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Liam Farrell
12. Joel Tomkins
13. Sean O'Laughlin (c)

14. John Bateman
15. Taulima Tautai
16. Larne Patrick
17. Tony Clubb

Wonder if Matt Bowen will carve us up, again, for 73287098324th time.

It was like clockwork!

Ouch some memories I'd rather forget

Bowen won't be a problem. He has gone downhill quite a bit. He doesn't have the same impact he once had.. Even his last game against us wasn't that good.

Broncos should kick it high and put pressure on him. There is a very good chance he will drop it.

Last edited:
Tautai is still running around, there you go.

Bowen won't be a problem. He has gone downhill quite a bit. He doesn't have the same impact he once had.. Even his last game against us wasn't that good.

Broncos should kick it high and put pressure on him. There is a very good chance he will drop it.

Or Hodges will score in the 73th minute with a conversion to get us home by 2.

I am not exactly Bowens biggest fan......he can provide a flash of brilliance but more often than not its more like a touch of comic disaster. Heaven help us if you guys get some kicks in towards his direction, dont even worry if they are high bombs or grubbers, either way there's a 50/50 chance he wont even bother going for them or will miss them entirely !

I am not sure what team we are going to put out, I will know more in the next 24/36 hours, this time tomorrow we have our first home of the season and we need a top class perfomance to rub out last weeks mediocre effort. Plus the players will be playing for their places against you guys.

At the moment I am going for :

Exactly the same team that Big Pete said in this thread !

A doubt over Dan Sarginson as he has been recovering from a pre season op and also Lee Mossop who is always recovering from something or other. We call him ' biscuit ' - he breaks easily. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Dash
  • Allo
  • barker
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.