What’s going wrong with us?

If Seibold has inherited such a shit team and the youngest in the NRL......

How do we explain Manly's form this year?
They finished one win off getting the spoon last year.
They have essentially the same team as last year
They have the second youngest team in the NRL this year behind us, them having 8 players under 23.
They have injuries galore
They also have anew coach.
And they play us next week, that should be an interesting game.
I'm tipping another nail for Seibold.
Oh, hang on, there are excuses for him, Yeah Right!
Positive attitude... the Broncos playing group appear to have none of it

Hasler is the prodigal son... clearly the playing group didn't give two sh.ts about Barrett

It's f.cking crazy how much mentality impacts rugby league

Because of this?

Nahh, i havent seen that before!

Know a couple of blokes that have played with him and they say he knows the game inside out and picked holes in the opposition all the time in pre game meetings, even more so than somebody like Cam Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:
Positive attitude... the Broncos playing group appear to have none of it

Hasler is the prodigal son... clearly the playing group didn't give two sh.ts about Barrett

It's f.cking crazy how much mentality impacts rugby league

For mine, the Broncos lack self belief especially when the going gets tough, and as you rightly say, without that, the physical side just falls to bits.

As one example, I just watched Roberts's pathetic attempts in defence, the ones which which let in 2 tries, and noticed Gillo's head drop in disbelief. That sort of crap play is what destroys a team's self belief.

Seibold has a lot of work to do both to ensure consistent defensive effect in certain players, and instilling self belief in the team.

Last edited:
Nahh, i havent seen that before!

Know a couple of blokes that have played with him and they say he knows the game inside out and picked holes in the opposition all the time in pre game meetings, even more so than somebody like Cam Smith.

Sounds good. We also have an opening at fullback if he wants to player/coach. We're short a captain too, come to think of it.

Sign him up

Last edited:
There are a lot of factors but In my opinion, the core aspect affecting all other areas is a lack of effective leadership in the group. We don't have players who set the standard. In the past we have had forwards who worked hard for the team i.e. civo, webcke, Parker, and had backs that got involved when it got tough I.e. Hodges, locky, etc.

As players are not held accountable to what is expected of the broncos jersey. The little things slip I.e. trust each other in defence, scramble defence, have a good kick chase (which was a key strength of the 90s broncos). These are not skill issues (although drop balls don't help) and can be improved within this season.

I hope our current senior players can stand up but i can see potential leaders in setting effort standards fifita, hass and I have not seen much of carrigan yet but I know people have high opinions on him. Hopefully our backs can stand up, I like staggs, he seems to have a go but i hope our young halves will have the confidence to step up too. It will take them some time to adjust to first grade but if they are putting in an effort, that is all we can ask

To me, there’s a problem with bird playing at full back as never sees how he catch balls. Especially with some of his bomb tries already, I’m a bit connecting him to Dugan as sharks fullback, you just keep seeing him drop the balls.
He's played plenty of fullback at the Sharks, he's perfectly capable anywhere.

It's looking like we're gonna have a very different looking squad next year. The players can claim its homesickness or some other mundane excuse all they like, but to me it's looking like a cleanout.

It was interesting reading the Courier] Mail articles about how it all went down. Kevin Walters and the board all saw the same problem. The team was being coached and trained as if it was 1993. Melbourne moved on years ago, The Roosters have, and the Bunnies and others are all rapidly catching up. We weren't.. Yes we played ok at times last year but that was with a lot more experience and when the crunch game came, we folded.. 2018 saw no mental toughness to back up after wins, or bring an A game when it really mattered.

Not to mention the signings. Boyd? TPJ 1 year? Even Gillette's is dicey.. Please...WB has a lot to do with the mess we are in now, and his current success at Souths has a lot to do with the toughness Madge put into that side and the fine tuning Siebold did.

We are in a transition period, and yes, we may have to go through a crap year, but we are on the right track.

We are young, and the new generation will only know the new way. Give it time..

Last edited:
I think we are missing an alpha in the group. Wayne IMO was the alpha. Seibold does not appear to be an alpha, at Souffs SBurgess was his alpha and on the same page as Seibold.
This group is young and needs someone to follow, someone who can demand a better performance and someone who they will listen to and want to play for even when confronted with an unpleasant truth about their form/effort.

I was all for the swap even though I am a massive fan of Wayne, it would give me great pleasure to see him win another premiership, but it had to happen at some point and there were very few options around. The club identified all of those options so we have to trust the process identified the right guy.
The forum was full of complaints all last year, it's easy to check, about our form and the same players we are bitching about this year.
I agree that Wayne probably would have extracted a bit more fight but there is no way he had this group heading toward a premiership with Boyd and Macca in the side and our deficiencies in the halves.
So, Waynes way was not the way forward. His roster/cap is unbalanced to say the least. If we are to win anything in the next 5 years Seibold has to sort this first and he has started sooner than we all thought.

Last edited:
I was chatting last night with a workmate who is like my close mate, a mad Sharks supporter. We were talking about facilities for our respective teams. He told me that it was still 80s style in the Shire and his team doesn't feel entitled. I couldn't say the same about my team, the Broncos.

What excuse do we have? The Sharks the other night stood toe to toe with the most successful team of the last decade or more, forget rorting, The Storm have been a benchmark and still they won. What's even more meritorious is how depleted their team was. Well I have a suggestion to fix the Broncos sense of entitlement.

CLOSE THE CENTRE, CLOSE THE SUANA, CLOSE THE GYM, CLOSE THE MASSAGE ROOM, SEND ALL THE SUPPORT STAFF HOME ON PAY, EVERYONE OUT OF THE FUCKING POOL.

Tomorrow morning we'd be on a bus. No fucking phones, no headsets, no music just fucking silence until we reached some poorly equipped, grimy old sheds and ground. This would be home until we string together three wins in a row. Old school, tough love. Once everyone knows where training is at, then they get themselves there every day. Late is dropped. Only a car accident, family in hospital or a death are acceptable excuses for lateness.

I was chatting last night with a workmate who is like my close mate, a mad Sharks supporter. We were talking about facilities for our respective teams. He told me that it was still 80s style in the Shire and his team doesn't feel entitled. I couldn't say the same about my team, the Broncos.

What excuse do we have? The Sharks the other night stood toe to toe with the most successful team of the last decade or more, forget rorting, The Storm have been a benchmark and still they won. What's even more meritorious is how depleted their team was. Well I have a suggestion to fix the Broncos sense of entitlement.

CLOSE THE CENTRE, CLOSE THE SUANA, CLOSE THE GYM, CLOSE THE MASSAGE ROOM, SEND ALL THE SUPPORT STAFF HOME ON PAY, EVERYONE OUT OF THE FUCKING POOL.

Tomorrow morning we'd be on a bus. No fucking phones, no headsets, no music just fucking silence until we reached some poorly equipped, grimy old sheds and ground. This would be home until we string together three wins in a row. Old school, tough love. Once everyone knows where training is at, then they get themselves there every day. Late is dropped. Only a car accident, family in hospital or a death are acceptable excuses for lateness.

When someone skips your favourite techno song at training -

I get where you are coming from but there is no way you could sell this to Seibold. He is a data driven person who wants to have computers and all sorts of people/equipment around him to compile and crunch all sorts of numbers/statistics.
Funnily enough I think Bennett would actually adapt better than Seibold to that sort of no frills set up.

I get where you are coming from but there is no way you could sell this to Seibold. He is a data driven person who wants to have computers and all sorts of people/equipment around him to compile and crunch all sorts of numbers/statistics.
Funnily enough I think Bennett would actually adapt better than Seibold to that sort of no frills set up.
****, I'd like to think he would have done it the next morning after the last game. No way he'd cop this. Our lads have the best of the best. I'd make every last one of them miss the creature comforts of the Palace. I'd go easy on Dearden and the other new boys, they've not been the trouble. Mind you, they'd all be training under the one stinky, non air conditionined roof with shitty old weights and a snot and spit covered concrete floor.

We gave Melbourne a serious crack in round 1!

Isn’t that what Wayne always said regarding gyms?

We gave Melbourne a serious crack in round 1!
Did we?

I also don't think Melbourne are all that this year. If it wasn't for refs assistance they'd have home losses to Canterbury & Warriors on the books.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Jedhead
  • simplythebest
  • Broncorob
  • broncos4life
  • broncoscope
  • Alec
  • Fitzy
  • Behold
  • Mr Fourex
  • Dash
  • Tim K
  • Harry Sack
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • barker
  • Fatboy
  • Griffo
  • broncotville
  • Jazza
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.